Hello from frosty Cheshire

This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
jaffa

Hello from frosty Cheshire

Post by jaffa » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:03 am

Morning everyone,

Matt here from North Cheshire, (South Warrington)

I’m looking to get into detecting as a way of spending some much needed soul time out and about away from the stresses and strains of modern life, I’m also a bit of a history/past geek, love the idea of finding long lost everyday stuff ordinary folks have lost.

Detecting is something I’ve wanted to do for about 25 years so I’ve finally decided to do something about it and not knowing anyone who does it thought this forum may be a good place to start.

I’ve no gear yet, but before I go out and spend some cash on the wrong/inappropriate stuff I’d very much like a few days trying it out to get a feel for if it is actually something for me and if so what do I actually need/whats going to be best for me etc.

I know a number of farmers/landowners with some interesting locations so fully expect to be able to get permissions as and when,

So is there anyone who fancies taking me under their wing for a couple of days, showing me the basics of how to use a detector (I’m assuming its not just a case of point and go) and taking out for a first couple of digs?

Matt

Timmy 64

Re: Hello from frosty Cheshire

Post by Timmy 64 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:09 am

Hi from frosty and sunny Cornwall. Good luck hunting ::g

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:34 pm

Hello jaffa and welcome to the hobby and this fine forum ::g There's all you need to know and much more sufficient to get you up and running. Here's a couple of links to point you in the right direction one of which contains the legal operating requirements which you do need to be aware of.
Beginners Guide
Detector Buying Guide

(Delaying getting your 'gear' was an excellent move in my opinion) ::g

In order to get a good overview of the hobby (and the forum) a trawl through the forums in slow time will be very helpful. Good Luck and enjoy your time with us on the MDF ::g Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:47 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum and the hobby.Good luck and happy hunting matey. Greetings from East Riding.

Koala

Post by Koala » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:30 pm

I am only down the road and have a spare detector ::g

very busy for the next few weeks though ;;z

but will have plenty of spare time in the new year :)) :))

if you want to try out detecting before you buy.

haggz

Post by haggz » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:58 pm

hello and welcome

jaffa

Post by jaffa » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:22 am

Thanks for the replies and messages... looks like I’ve definately made the right decision coming on here..

In terms of machines, a fair bit of research leads me to three options, the Garrett Ace 400i, Garrett AT Pro, or the Equinox 600. Whilst the first seems a really good machine, the second two seem to be more future proof in terms of getting into the hobby a bit more..

Amanybody like to share their thoughts, observations, comments, experiences, suggestions etc?

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:16 am

I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions jaffa ::g (remembering of course, that members will be unable to compare the two brands - rules) ::g Good Luck - Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Return to “Introduce yourself here Forum”