Hi from Lincoln (Kirton in Lindsey)

This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
MATTinLINCOLN

Hi from Lincoln (Kirton in Lindsey)

Post by MATTinLINCOLN » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:04 pm

Hello to all fellow enthusiasts,

Just wanted to take the opportunity to introduce myself and hopefully strike up some quality banter.

Reaching the age of 50, I finally decided to find myself a hobby and took up metal detecting. Starting with a Garrett 300i three months ago, I'm now moving a Minelab from side to side.

So much to learn but love getting out in the fresh air, in the vain hope of finding something worthwhile.

Plenty of land round me and stories of Roman Villa's, so need to start talking to the local farmers now. Anyone had any luck with this approach?

Cheers, Matt

david roberts

Re: Hi from Lincoln (Kirton in Lindsey)

Post by david roberts » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:17 pm

Hi Matt welcome i am from Sleaford just doing the same as you at the moment looking at best permissions to contact, a lot of land around here is being swallowed up by companies building houses etc so quite difficult to get a yes, but i will keep trying, good luck in your search, and happy digging.

Fishwick

Post by Fishwick » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:23 pm

Welcome Matt and it's good to hear from you.
I'm relatively new to the hobby and have made contact with some landowners in my local area (Worcestershire/Warwickshire border.) Sometimes the landowner's responses to my requests for permission to search a field, have been positive and other times not so. (I kept trying and it's paid off in many ways!!)
I noticed that it helped greatly if they knew of me- through work, family and especially word of mouth.
I feel that by having insurance, being responsible and abiding by the NCMD " code of practice." I'm not going to go too far of course. It gives me peace of mind-when I try to do the next right thing.
I would like to wish you the very best in your endeavours and good luck ::g

Carlallison20

Post by Carlallison20 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:15 pm

Hi Matt

Getting permissions can take a while, I'm still looking for my first one I've only been doing it for a month.

It helps if you know some one who can put you in contact with the land owner. Good luck.

Regards

Carl
Deus, WS5, Remote and 11inch Coil
Whites Spectra V3i

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:26 pm

Hello 'Matt' ::g Welcome aboard the forum and to this great hobby. The forum can provide the answers to virtually any question on metal detecting topics that you may wish to raise, such is the expertise of it's membership. ::g There are certainly some interesting finds to be made here in North Lincolnshire! So enjoy and Good Luck in your exploits. All the best ::g Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

MATTinLINCOLN

Post by MATTinLINCOLN » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:39 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the welcome and advice. Really appreciated!

Think I've got at least a month of practicing with the Minelab before being confident of striking out on permissions. Sounds like I need to use this time to track land owners down as well.

Onwards and upwards!

Cheers, Matt

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:33 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. Greetings from across the Humber in paull. ::g

MATTinLINCOLN

Post by MATTinLINCOLN » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:03 pm

Hi Paul,

Good to hear from someone local (ish).

Wish you well mate and appreciate the 'hello'.

Cheers, Matt

geoman

Post by geoman » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:47 pm

Lincolnshire is a busy place for detecting and has been for the last thirty odd years by both locally based searchers and those from outside the county. You will probably find that most of the landowners who will allow detecting have detectorists already searching their land so access permission may take some time.
There is a general rule that if someone else has already done the hard work to gain access and develop a good working relationship with the landowner it is best not to try and get access. Sounds harsh ,but many will tell you that it often causes problems and conflict sometimes getting everyone banned from the land.
Keep looking and the best way is to use family of friends who may know someone with land and go from there.

leem73

Post by leem73 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:04 pm

Welcome to the forum new to the hobby myself plenty of usefull info on here ::g

MATTinLINCOLN

Post by MATTinLINCOLN » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:57 pm

Thanks guys. I'm lucky to have a small piece land of my own and also live in a close knit community with many farmers, so hopefully once I've built confidence in my Minelab, will branch out.

Be great to find a buddy though. Whilst i love the solitary nature of metal detecting, having someone to enjoy a pint with, bounce ideas off and share experiences, does appeal.

Cheers, Matt

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:24 pm

geoman wrote:Lincolnshire is a busy place for detecting and has been for the last thirty odd years by both locally based searchers and those from outside the county. You will probably find that most of the landowners who will allow detecting have detectorists already searching their land so access permission may take some time.
There is a general rule that if someone else has already done the hard work to gain access and develop a good working relationship with the landowner it is best not to try and get access. Sounds harsh ,but many will tell you that it often causes problems and conflict sometimes getting everyone banned from the land.
Keep looking and the best way is to use family of friends who may know someone with land and go from there.
Hi Matt, Geoman has hit the target a few times. Letters, phone calls and even door knocking can bring success in varying degrees but the best method is simply through friends and relations, work contacts and direct chat over a pint or a coffee or through ANY conversation that you should be able to bend towards DETECTING :;@ Farmers don't like strangers and no matter how good a person you are, you are still unknown to them and the default answer is NO. As soon as you get chatting, then its all down to your charm and influence, but don't offer money as some do, that really does serious damage to the hobby and the many thousands who have developed a rapport with the farmer through honesty, friendship, openness and mutual respect, so that you are a good person to be seen around the farm.
It will be impossible for you to know in advance if the farm already has a detectorist but if that becomes apparent during your chat, show understanding and maybe leave a card with contact info for the future. The card may end up being given to the other detectorist who may want a buddy! Good luck anyway, I started off detecting when in the RAF at Waddington, had some good finds, good roman area as it had the famous Ninth Legion, Liam OooO
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

MATTinLINCOLN

Post by MATTinLINCOLN » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:55 am

Top advice Liam, thank you.

I'll make sure I avoid Waddingham (close to me), sounds like you might have found everything worth finding! Joking apart, Lincolnshire certainly has close links with the Romans, especially when you look at the route of Ermine Street, which co-incidentially is a stones throw from me.

There was also a famous Cromwell battle near me too, so I'm looking forward to finding my first musket ball!

Will look in to the history of the Ninth Legion, never knew they had links with the area.

Best of luck with your swinging mate and thanks again for the advice.

arfur_sleep

Post by arfur_sleep » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:50 pm

There is a Metal Detecting Club in Scunthorpe that you may be able to join if any vacancies exits. Its called Scunthorpe Metal Detecting Society.

MATTinLINCOLN

Post by MATTinLINCOLN » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:00 am

Hi Arfur,

Thanks for the info.

Ideally, I'm looking for a single buddy at this stage but will follow up with the clubs.

Cheers, Matt

samuraitrev

Post by samuraitrev » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:29 am

Welcome to the forum Matt, I think you made an excellent choice of hobby. It will keep you fit and you can't beat that fresh air. Good luck with getting some land and happy digging!
Derbyshire based concealed junk removal operative.
Hammered (see Opportunity Nox Day 1)

MATTinLINCOLN

Post by MATTinLINCOLN » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:34 am

Thanks Trev. Nothing has hooked me before like Metal Detecting. Could be an age thing or possibly my love of tin foil and ring pulls.

Happy swinging mate.

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:56 am

A very big welcome to the forum,land initially can be very hard to find but gradually over time as trust is built then it does come alot easier.

Sending out letters or phoning farmers/land owners in my opinion is not the best method,face to face and speaking with the person has produced me the best permission,it can start out with just a few acres in your village,and once the trust has been built up and this is not done over night either,then more than often this will not only un-lock further acreage from the 1st land owner but they also talk between themselves,this is the vital key i am certain that the trust built up with the 1st land owner can/will be transferred to the 2nd land owner and then the snowball effect kicks in.

You may have spoken with some poor looking person on a piece of land and he has given you permission on what you think is a very small parcel of land,but some of these folks also own vast acreage either locally or even in different parts of the county/country and from say one humble beginning you then have permission on the land owner entire estate,of course this does not happen all the time,but that was of course just a example of how it can grow.

I am still detecting on some of my 1st permissions from years and years ago,i get on very well with these land owner and always show them what i find and always provide a lovely bottle of something decent at christmas and also never forget the landowners/farmers wife,as sometimes she can have alot of say in the final decision making.

Good luck with your quest for permission ::g

ploughchaser

Hi Matt

Post by ploughchaser » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:54 pm

Hello Matt, I’ve just got my first detector,Garrett ace 250 I live in Lincoln
I’m waiting for my pinpointer to be delivered,I can’t wait to start!! Good luck !!

darren stevo

Post by darren stevo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:31 pm

Hi mate
Good to meet you buddy. From Daz in nettelham/ Lincoln

Return to “Introduce yourself here Forum”