Hello from US ... and some finds

Please tell us a little about your finds and if possible add a few pictures.
Bibelot

Hello from US ... and some finds

Post by Bibelot » Wed May 17, 2017 10:10 pm

Hello, I've been reading a lot here, I've only metal detected 13 months now. I have a Tesoro Deleon, Silver sabre II, compadre, Teknetics T2 classic, CTX 3030, and a recently added Xp deus lite. I have a lot to learn...... Ivan

mrix
Founder

Re: Hello from US

Post by mrix » Thu May 18, 2017 12:06 am

Hello and welcome to the MDF OooO
How come you have so many different machines in such a short period of time ?
mrix

Bibelot

Post by Bibelot » Thu May 18, 2017 12:25 am

I honestly don't have a good answer for it. I started with a compadre, it is shallow seeking, bought a used silver sabre II with my finds,I thought I should upgrade to a Deleon. Then I thought I needed a ground balance machine, bought a T2 classic and a used CTX the same week. The CTX was local located, took it home before the T2 was delivered. Both are excellent machines. I kept reading about the XP deus, I found a new deus lite for sale at a good price so I bought it. The person who sold me the CTX has a deus , he will use his remote to install programs for my deus lite. I was actually looking at the Rutus Alter 71 or the Nokta Impact. I am currently selling my compadre and Deleon. That is a somewhat long winded boring story.It doesn't make much sense either but it the best answer I have. rl; Ivan

knotalot

Post by knotalot » Thu May 18, 2017 12:39 am

Hi Bibelot, Welcome to forum, you omit you have a lot to learn well in my opinion you are making it alot more harder for yourself by having a fresh detector on average every two months the ones you mention are all good detectors but you have to take time and listen to your machine and become a team, i use the deus lite at the moment but one of my all time favorites is my silver sabre switch and go i call it which i have had some great finds with,my advice to you would be to pick one detector bury a few coins, can pulls, bottle tops, nails etc at different depths in the garden to form a test bed and learn the different sounds they make (i dont do display numbers)
best of luck knotalot ::g
Hope none of the above advice will sour UK-USA special relationship :)) :))
;) if there is a cheap ctx 3030 for sale i am interested :)) :))

Timmy 64

Post by Timmy 64 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:38 am

That's next year holiday sorted out :D

Bibelot

Post by Bibelot » Thu May 18, 2017 10:04 am

knotalot wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 12:39 am
Hi Bibelot, Welcome to forum, you omit you have a lot to learn well in my opinion you are making it alot more harder for yourself by having a fresh detector on average every two months the ones you mention are all good detectors but you have to take time and listen to your machine and become a team, i use the deus lite at the moment but one of my all time favorites is my silver sabre switch and go i call it which i have had some great finds with,my advice to you would be to pick one detector bury a few coins, can pulls, bottle tops, nails etc at different depths in the garden to form a test bed and learn the different sounds they make (i dont do display numbers)
best of luck knotalot ::g
Hope none of the above advice will sour UK-USA special relationship :)) :))
;) if there is a cheap ctx 3030 for sale i am interested :)) :))
I will always keep my silver sabre II and T2 classic. Yes, the much to learn is from not having enough time behind the machines to know everything about them yet. As you stated. The history here is interesting but no where near as fascinating as the history you have.1847 is my oldest coin so far which isn't even a blip on the radar there. The Rutus Alter is gaining popularity here. There are no dealers here so we would have to order it from Detecnicks. The Hodograph is new to us, I've seen it on the Aka machines, the Alter 71 frequency settings is new...Thank you for the repsonses.

samuraitrev

Post by samuraitrev » Fri May 19, 2017 7:47 pm

Welcome to the forum bibelot. That's a lot of detectors there and I'm a little envious! If I were you I would use the Deus for really difficult areas and the CTX for deep pasture land. Although saying that if you completely spend the next year out with one detector and REALLY get your ear trained what to listen for your finds rate will increase. Good luck on your choices and your journey.

Happy digging (don't buy any more detectors I think your good for the next 30 years) ;)
Derbyshire based concealed junk removal operative.

Catch my latest hunt 77
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja0n71IKEs4
milled silver .925 x10
Roman find (see day 58)
Hammered silvers x3 (see day 60 +62)
GOLD rings (see day 68 + 70)

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:40 pm

Hello 'Bibelot' ::g What can I say but welcome aboard the forum and Good Luck! ::g Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:55 pm

Welcome. Love to see new members from other countries, your finds are different which adds to the fun for the rest of us.
What part of the US are you from?
Look forward to see your finds posts ::g
XP Deus
6 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 5 in 2017) - and still searching for more :))
Not everything is as young as it looks ;)

Bibelot

Post by Bibelot » Sat May 20, 2017 7:59 pm

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 8:55 pm
Welcome. Love to see new members from other countries, your finds are different which adds to the fun for the rest of us.
Hi, I am from Avoca, NY. I hunt parks, fair grounds, sport field perimeters., abandoned farm houses, old foundations where houses use to sit years ago. It is funny but one of my favorite finds is a 1992 ten pence coin. I also find a lot of Canadian pennies which have been phased out as well but you can turn the pennies back into circulation here yet if you choose to. I detect at the Steuben county fair ground which is in nearby Bath, NY. It is the longest continually running fair in the US. This will be 198th year running. There use to be two horse tracks on the same grounds prior to the fair grounds, so I'm able to find Queens plate shoe pieces and all sorts of odd bits and pieces that you wouldn't normally see elsewhere in my area. Thank you all for the warm welcome. I sold the Tesoro Compadre and have offers on the Deleon. I am looking forward to learning the XP Deus. My wife wondered why I bought another machine that is more expensive for accessory bits for it but it is what it is. :)) Ivan

Bibelot

Post by Bibelot » Mon May 22, 2017 10:45 pm

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 8:55 pm
Every once in a while I have to dig them to make sure they are as I think they are. Oh the irony when you dig the one on the right. =))

download/file.php?mode=view&id=78349
Last edited by Bibelot on Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Mon May 22, 2017 11:07 pm

Ivan those are really cool ::g you will have some brilliant finds on those sites. The irony of the anti littering slogans always raises a smile B-)

I suppose you have to get through really modern stuff but you'll get a great mix of decades amongst everything you find? Please share some more pics, they are great to see ::g
XP Deus
6 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 5 in 2017) - and still searching for more :))
Not everything is as young as it looks ;)

Bibelot

Post by Bibelot » Tue May 23, 2017 1:07 am

Thank you
Last edited by Bibelot on Thu May 25, 2017 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bibelot

Post by Bibelot » Wed May 24, 2017 11:05 pm

I got my Deus lite today.It has been raining nearly all day but it quit long enough for me to get out to a nearby field. I dug a lot of junk but found two coins and a copper harness strap of some sort.
Last edited by Bibelot on Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bibelot

Post by Bibelot » Thu May 25, 2017 11:17 pm

Here is the copper doowiggy ?
DSC02907.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bibelot

Post by Bibelot » Fri May 26, 2017 8:36 pm

I got about 45 minutes in before the rain chased me back to the car. A first for me, a euro coin. Sorry for the hand in the top of the pic. I got the Deus handbook in the mail today, haven't had a chance to go through it yet. I am using the sifter program, works rather well here for what little time I've been able to detect so far. I don't know who thought to put the puck on the headphones ???Thankfully, I started with Tesoros so it's a shorter learning curve. I like especially the way the targets pop with a nice smooth round sound.
DSC02914.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bibelot on Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sat May 27, 2017 3:06 am

Welcome. I am sure you will find the forum friendly and informative.

As Oxgirl says "Love to see new members from other countries, your finds are different which adds to the fun for the rest of us." so do keep us posted (although we find plenty of ringpulls in the UK ;;z ).

As for your detectors there is very little between the various mid / top range detectors, some are better in some areas while different makes / models are better in other areas, what makes the difference in finds is how well the detectorist maximises the machines potential in given conditions. So with respect I think that having 6 machines in 13 months is crazy.

I use the Makro Racer 2 and have no experience of using any of the machines that you list. I know nothing about the Tesoro Deleon, Silver sabre II, compadre and Teknetics T2 classic, but know that the Deus is very popular and is very good at small shallower targets while the CTX3030 is great when it comes to depth so maybe concentrate on these 2 machines and get to learn them well and choose between the 2 depending on where you are searching.

Evan

Bibelot

Post by Bibelot » Sat May 27, 2017 10:46 am

Each machine has different characteristics. They are not all the same for example, I started with the Tesoro Compadre. It is a one knob wonder, turn on one knob and go metal detect. It runs super shallow, seeking down to 4" depth .I turned in the change I found with it from tot lots, bought the Tesoro silver sabre II used. It runs deeper but found the no motion pin point to be fantastic compared to using the x target method that I am back to using with the Deus. The sabre II has a sizing pinpoint meaning you can pin point and then pinpoint again for exact pin point location to probe coins out without cutting a plug to extract the coin. I then thought If I had a digital display, it would be better although I could pretty much tell what the targets were before I dug them by thumbing the disc knob during target scan. I could easily afford a Deleon, has lifetime warranty here in the US. What I found was that processing analog to digital, the Deleon had a more difficult time, often you have to run a cushion of air between the coil and ground and thumb the sensitivity/threshold to target different targets. It likes to overdrive Quarter signals, you will get a null or a snap sound or a weak broken signal unless you turn the sensitivity down to 4 or 5.At a lower sens /threshold setting, the quarter signals are loud and clear. I concluded that this was due to the fixed ground balancing of the Deleon for the mineral content in the soil here. Next solution was to buy a machine with ground balance capabilities. So I ordered a Teknetics T2 Classic. It was ordered at Christmas time. My wife bought me a CTX3030 that was advertised locally. I got the T2 3 or 4 days after I already had the CTX.I ran both of them throughout the winter here. The T2 coil was horrible to swing with snow clinging to it but any day I could, I was detecting. 13 degree Fahrenheit was the coldest temp I could stand to metal detect and I wasn't out but only 45 minutes or so. I bought a Nel sharpshooter to center the coil on the T2, was a great choice, target separation and sharper target tone , works great. I was liking it more than the CTX, was finding more with it. Then one day messing around with the CTX,I ran upon multiple targets on the screen with the CTX. After reading the Handbook, I was trying different settings, stumbled upon the target trace feature. That basically changed everything in my way of thinking. Reeling back in time when I purchased the T2 Classic. I actually wanted the XP Deus but could not justify the price since I already had so many machines already. Then the Impact was announced, drawn to it like a bug to light, I was saving money up to get it. Then the Rutus Alter 71 surfaced. My head was spinning in multiple directions. Luckily Detecnicks was sold out of the Rutus, new shipment was going to be the 20th of this month so it was back to the Impact, there was reserve ordering only but there were used machines popping up for sale, three of them while I was ready to buy. While I was communicating ,trying to actually pick up a Impact,a Deus lite , never seen dirt came up for sale at another metal detecting forum. I bought it instead. It is proven, got a good deal on it, like it a lot so far, what little I have been able to use it. Honestly, the T2 Classic still has found more in less time in field than any of the other machines. I choose to keep the Sabre II and the T2 for when someone wants to go metal detecting to see what its all about and I lend them out to people who are looking for various lost items, keys, surveyor stakes for property boundaries...Those two machines owe me nothing, they will always have a home. A person I metal detect with sold one of his ctx's and picked up a Impact so next time metal detecting, I'll be able to use the impact to get a better understanding of whether it will remain on my radar or not. Yes, 6 machines in 13 months is crazy but I am fortunate to have been the one to endure it. The CTX and the Deus will be my two machines. I need to pick up a remote for the deus so I can have ground balancing and tracking capability on the fly. They have a new aftermarket charging clip for the deus coil that is not suppose to break as well here in the US . It's about the same price as the original clip, I'll pick one up and see how well it works. Thank you for taking the time to respond. There is so much info here and the finds are absolutely mind shattering. You are blessed to be able to detect where there is so much history , I am humbled to be a member of the forum. Thanks again, Ivan

Bibelot

Post by Bibelot » Sat May 27, 2017 3:02 pm

got out this morning. Nothing all that great, I did find a musket ball, third one from that field.
Last edited by Bibelot on Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bibelot

Post by Bibelot » Sat May 27, 2017 10:22 pm

I am liking the Deus lite. I need to get it out to a different area.
Last edited by Bibelot on Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Finds - Stories”