Brighton Newbies

This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
SamAndLuke

Brighton Newbies

Post by SamAndLuke » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:44 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm Luke :) My son (Sam) who is 6 has expressed an interest in metal detecting and its a hobby I've been meaning to try for a while, but other than the odd you tube video i have no experience.

I'm not sure if there are many viable sites around my area (other than the beach perhaps) or clubs, but thought it wise to learn a bit about it before the detector arrives and we set out for our first jaunt.

I have ordered what i expect to be a reasonable used machine which i hope to arrive within a week and i'm going to ask a couple of questions about it on the Makro forum in the mean time (how i should check it etc).

So if you have any advise for me on method, machine or etiquette (not sure if i can just charge into a farmers field without declaring myself first etc) or if anyone knows of any sites in east Sussex which might be worth a look then please let me know. I look forward to sharing what we find and from learning from you guys.

:)

Arch Stanton

Re: Brighton Newbies

Post by Arch Stanton » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:49 am

Hi Luke & Sam, Probably the most important thing to remember is that all land is owned by someone, and their permission must be sought before detecting on it. Even beaches can be privately owned. Often the local council controlled beaches may have a policy about whether they allow detecting or not, so it is worth dropping them a line to ask first. Footpaths cross land that is owned by someone too. Gaining permissions is probably the hardest part of detecting, and I would guess is one of the main reasons people give it up, but keep at it and once you have some, look after them and the landowners. Good luck and I hope you and your son make some great and interesting finds.
I've done the 'buckle boogie', the 'musket-ball mambo' and even the 'silver shuffle', but sadly still no 'gold dance'. You're really gonna know it when you see it though!

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:59 am

Welcome to the hobby. Greeting from East Riding.

Keef the Frog

Post by Keef the Frog » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:02 pm

Hi Luke & Sam,
I started yesterday with my Ace 250 & spent my first few hours out on the veg patch knowing it'd be full of rubbish. Was very enlightening on getting to grips with all the different beeping going on/pinpointing before I set out into the woolly wilds. By the end of play, every beep was a hit/nail/bottle top.
Mrs Keef is in the UK at the mo so ordered a cheapo GP pinpointer last night, €28 should get under the radar.

Keef

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:13 pm

Welcome, I know one chap who does detecting holidays in Brighton ... I think he manages to make a modest profit after paying for B&B ... So the beaches have to be good judging by those standards and an excellent instant access practice ground.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

SamAndLuke

Post by SamAndLuke » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:29 am

thanks everyone

SamAndLuke

Post by SamAndLuke » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:38 pm

Ok so progress. NCMD cards came through. Ive gained permission to search a valley and some fields owned by an ecologist friend of mine. The valley is in Cornwall and the field(s) in Sussex (both virgin land)

I couldnt find a brighton based group on here but found on the net run by a chap called Peter Abbot and one called the SMDC which im also considering.

I have another hopeful few contacts which are going to ask they're friends and family for permission on our behalf so i hope o have at least a few places in my area to go soon.

I expoxy resined the coil as i was nervous as to how waterproof it really was. trimmed it up with a razor-blade so looks good still.

got the number of the FLO (edwin wood) for sussex and had a look at the PAS.

bought a cathole trowel and foldable spade, pointer, bag etc.

think were ready to go!

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:27 pm

Hello 'SamAndLuke' ::g It sounds like a plan! Well done and good luck in your joint searches ::g Regards s47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

simon brown

Post by simon brown » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:36 pm

Hi Sam and Luke
I live in the Brighton area there is several groups in the area Can we dig it , the Searchers , Sussex seekers and Hampshire History Hunters all hold digs at the weekends £15 to £20 a time all friendly groups and good place to start the beach is a good place to start and get use to the machine .
Good luck and happy hunting

chip

Post by chip » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:53 pm

Sounds like you are all set.

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:03 pm

SamAndLuke wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:38 pm
Ok so progress. NCMD cards came through. Ive gained permission to search a valley and some fields owned by an ecologist friend of mine. The valley is in Cornwall and the field(s) in Sussex (both virgin land)

I couldnt find a brighton based group on here but found on the net run by a chap called Peter Abbot and one called the SMDC which im also considering.

I have another hopeful few contacts which are going to ask they're friends and family for permission on our behalf so i hope o have at least a few places in my area to go soon.

I expoxy resined the coil as i was nervous as to how waterproof it really was. trimmed it up with a razor-blade so looks good still.

think were ready to go!
The quest begins!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgpmDq5m3Y4
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

SamAndLuke

Post by SamAndLuke » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:14 pm

oldartefact wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:03 pm
SamAndLuke wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:38 pm

think were ready to go!
The quest begins!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgpmDq5m3Y4
ok so first 2hr venture! one shotgun case (no plastic on it just the firing end), two iron buried fence posts (too deep to dig out), one bit of coke can, one ring pull (modern gold in colour - i reckon caffeine free coke - modern version, no tail) but damn near 10'' deep inexplicably! HA! was hilarious. had great fun XD

maybe pick a different spot next time tho :)

huzzah!

SamAndLuke

Post by SamAndLuke » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:18 pm

simon brown wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:36 pm
Hi Sam and Luke
I live in the Brighton area there is several groups in the area Can we dig it , the Searchers , Sussex seekers and Hampshire History Hunters all hold digs at the weekends £15 to £20 a time all friendly groups and good place to start the beach is a good place to start and get use to the machine .
Good luck and happy hunting
hi simon

thanks for the reply, the info is much appreciated. that is awesome. sounds like your much better informed than I. any info you could send me on any of these groups would be greatly appreciated but ill search them out on google.
hope to see you at one of them :)

SamAndLuke

Post by SamAndLuke » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:22 pm

oh and found an odd bit of brace, or machinery. not old. had so much fun.

and.....got permission for 80 acres of virgin farmland (undetected - not sure if im using the correct terminology) but its in Yorkshire. there is a log cabin with no amenities on the site but we have a mobile home thing.

look like half term is full :)

SamAndLuke

Post by SamAndLuke » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:24 pm

by the way thank all of you who has commented for the support :) really appreciated

XD

SamAndLuke

Post by SamAndLuke » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:30 pm

Keef the Frog wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:02 pm
Hi Luke & Sam,
I started yesterday with my Ace 250 & spent my first few hours out on the veg patch knowing it'd be full of rubbish. Was very enlightening on getting to grips with all the different beeping going on/pinpointing before I set out into the woolly wilds. By the end of play, every beep was a hit/nail/bottle top.
Mrs Keef is in the UK at the mo so ordered a cheapo GP pinpointer last night, €28 should get under the radar.

Keef
lol i did he same :) it seems to work very well i must say. came amazing quick fom hong kong. how u finding yours?

Keef the Frog

Post by Keef the Frog » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:14 pm

Something went wrong with the order payment so I reordered from somewhere else so still waiting.
The Boss was okay about it as she has already been conditioned by the expense of my telescopes, microscopes, fossil prep. gear etc. ;)
I need to retire early to free up some time !

Keef

simon brown

Post by simon brown » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:17 pm

Hi Sam and Luke
Most of the groups operate through Facebook any problems lt me know

SamAndLuke

Post by SamAndLuke » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:12 pm

ok venture #2

3 bullets - two.33 or lower (i reckon Winchester rifle) with an H firing stamp. no sure if its a pistol tbh...look a little large for such.... One large rifle casing, one old iron nail, one bottle top, whiskey....wanted some, was a bit chilly so went home.

LOL.

Had a lovely day out in the elements (beautiful bright clear sunny day down here).

a of hoard gold next time im sure :)

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:51 pm

Glad you are enjoying getting out and trying the detector.

OK the finds so far have not been great, people who have been doing it for years and have the top detectors don't find "good stuff" every time, but the real important thing is that you "Had a lovely day out in the elements" - that is what its all about.

If you are finding bullet cases have a look in the "Ordnace" subforum, people like RRPG and some of the others on there are amazing (think the military equivalent of Allectus on coins or DiOz on livery buttons).

Read these 2 threads at the top of the subforum and you can learn a lot.
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=76209
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=21211

Evan

simon brown

Post by simon brown » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:37 am

Keep going it will turn up five years in and found first gold ring and coin what part of Brighton you from
Simon

SamAndLuke

Post by SamAndLuke » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:11 pm

Saffron wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:51 pm
Glad you are enjoying getting out and trying the detector.

OK the finds so far have not been great, people who have been doing it for years and have the top detectors don't find "good stuff" every time, but the real important thing is that you "Had a lovely day out in the elements" - that is what its all about.

If you are finding bullet cases have a look in the "Ordnace" subforum, people like RRPG and some of the others on there are amazing (think the military equivalent of Allectus on coins or DiOz on livery buttons).

Read these 2 threads at the top of the subforum and you can learn a lot.
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=76209
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=21211

Evan
Thanks Evan
Actually things are looking up... got a load of coins etc now from my permissions and some potential gold! but yes the thing ive enjoyed most is reconnecting with the outside :)

gonna post my good finds in the identification section me thinks as i wanna know if my gold hunch is likely...

SamAndLuke

Post by SamAndLuke » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:13 pm

simon brown wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:37 am
Keep going it will turn up five years in and found first gold ring and coin what part of Brighton you from
Simon
Hove actually :) Norman Road.... dont like beach combing tho...have been hitting a new permission in w sussex. are you from brighton?

p.s gonna list my finds round up in the ident section.... have a look :)

simon brown

Post by simon brown » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:53 pm

Hi Sam and a Luke
I live in Telscombe Cliffs out detecting at least once a week

Return to “Introduce yourself here”