chat

This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
Brian747

chat

Post by Brian747 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:27 pm

:)) hi, i tried detecting years ago.I am now 75 and looking forward to give it another go. i only did footpaths and beaches etc. it was great to find anything, but would have loved to have done a researched field but never had the nerve to approach the farmer. any help on this would be appreciated.looking forward to buying new detector or perhaps santa.!!

beaubrummell

Re: chat

Post by beaubrummell » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:22 am

Greetings Brian and welcome to the forum. ::g
Minelab Explorer II
SEF 12 x 10 coil
Deteknix Wader Li Xpointer
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Souped-up Spear & Jackson mini spade
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots

roamingrob

Post by roamingrob » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:13 am

Hi mate and welcome, Get down to your local library and look at the local history section along with old maps. Then if you feel you can not do a face to face with the farmer write him a letter
explain what you would like to do. I have gained many permissions this way. Farmers are busy people and if you catch them at the wrong time it will be a No,
Any more help let us know
Good luck
Rob ::g
XP Deus, 11" Coil & SW5 headphones
Garrett Ace 250
XP MI6 pin pointer
Hybrid Spade
" SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND"
FB page https://www.facebook.com/Roamingrob-Hig ... 069738277/

DanM

Post by DanM » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:00 am

Hi Brian, nice to have you here! Just my two-bob, but I'd highly recommend having a watch of 'Addictedtobleeps' YouTube videos. I'll attach the link to his specific video regarding approaching farmers and gaining permissions ::g. I found it really helpful when gaining some of my initial permissions.

https://youtu.be/IvwzvF-e8Lk

- Dan

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:56 am

Hi and welcome to the forum and your return to the hobby. Getting permissions is the key to your success in the hobby. You must be prepared to knock on Landowners doors to seek the necessary permissions. Your age will be of benefit in your quest Landowners especially farmers seem to trust the older generation more than that of younger people. One friend of mine used to take his granddaughter with him whilst doing the door knocking and say something like "My granddaughter and I have just taken up the hobby etc etc etc" and this worked for him. Also adopt the attitude with farmers "Some will some wont....so what" and move on to the next landowner/farmer. There are many people who get into this hobby but wont do the knocking after being turned down a couple of times (This will happen) and the Fear of Failure creeps in and there new detector ends up in the back of a cupboard or garden shed. Good luck we all look forward to hearing how you get on. ::g ::g

Bootneck45RM

Post by Bootneck45RM » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:58 am

Hi Brian
Just joined Forum myself so know the newbie feeling only too well!
Imagine you'll get lots of good advice as I have so far.
One thing I did do was join the NCMD, not just for the third party liability insurance, but you can produce your membership card when you introduce yourself to any landowners and it gives another element of professionalism. Also plenty of info plus a free mag 3 times a year can't be bad for £8 a year. Anyway welcome and good hunting - don't give up - just dig eh!
Best regards - Len

Return to “Introduce yourself here”