New to the community and MD - Manchester

This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
stoddy27

New to the community and MD - Manchester

Post by stoddy27 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:02 pm

Hi All,

I am new to Metal detecting and have purchased my first detector and all the gear "All the gear no idea" is the perfect explanation.

I have always loved the idea of discovery and after years of watching others detect, I finally decided to take the plunge. Mainly for health reasons I wanted to begin walking long distances and thought why not combine this with my passion for discovery and make my walks all that more interesting.

So far I have applied to my local council and the county council asking for permission or places where Metal detecting has been granted previously.

I am not the most confident person so asking landowners directly for permission didn't take my fancy as such. I am hoping my kind worded emails and offer to collect rubbish on my walks and report all significant findings will allow my council to grant permission.

I look forward to discovering more with everyone here and look forward to any advice you can give.

Allectus

Re: New to the community and MD - Manchester

Post by Allectus » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:43 pm

Welcome Stoddy. Best of luck mate. ::g

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:52 pm

Welcome to the forum,what detector did you buy ?? look forward to reading your posts.

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:14 pm

welcome aboard ::g

neil.
Just using the Force Image

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:21 pm

Hello 'stoddy27', A warm welcome aboard the forum ::g Your desire to get out and walk for long periods is not to be lost in your new found hobby. If I can suggest a short cut to remedying the 'no idea' situation........firstly, there's an excellent and newly prepared 'MDF Guide' which you will find at the top of this page - guaranteed to ease and speed your navigating of the forum.

Secondly, I'd recommend a read through the sub-forums on the left of this page starting at the very top and sauntering down to the bottom (feet up and cup of tea time)! Here you will find just about every possible question and answer to metal detecting related issues - a valuable resource!

Here's wishing you well in your 'permission' searching (see MDF Guide) :D and we look forward to seeing some of the finds resulting from your detecting endeavours and of course enjoy your time on the MDF Forum.......yes it's compulsory :D . Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

stoddy27

Post by stoddy27 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:22 pm

Mega B wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:52 pm
Welcome to the forum,what detector did you buy ?? look forward to reading your posts.
Thanks all for the kind messages - I purchased a relatively cheap brand named INTEY for around £80 - I had seen some reviews saying it was good for a beginner and some encouraging YouTube videos and in my price budget.

Once I get the hang of how to determine my finds I will be looking at purchasing the Garrett equivalent / higher model.

I also purchased a JEEMAK pointer £32 and £15 Trespass backpack with some paint brushes a carry case + lots of additional batteries.

I plan on adding some medication and first aid along with 2 bottles of water (one for me one for cleaning)and some spare headphones to my backpack any more recommendations for accessories would be greatly appreciated.

stoddy27

Post by stoddy27 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:27 pm

sweepstick47 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:21 pm
Hello 'stoddy27', A warm welcome aboard the forum ::g Your desire to get out and walk for long periods is not to be lost in your new found hobby. If I can suggest a short cut to remedying the 'no idea' situation........firstly, there's an excellent and newly prepared 'MDF Guide' which you will find at the top of this page - guaranteed to ease and speed your navigating of the forum.

Secondly, I'd recommend a read through the sub-forums on the left of this page starting at the very top and sauntering down to the bottom (feet up and cup of tea time)! Here you will find just about every possible question and answer to metal detecting related issues - a valuable resource!

Here's wishing you well in your 'permission' searching (see MDF Guide) :D and we look forward to seeing some of the finds resulting from your detecting endeavours and of course enjoy your time on the MDF Forum.......yes it's compulsory :D . Regards ss47
Thanks Sweepstick for your very informative post I will be sure to follow all your points and will report back to the forum on any finds :)

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:34 pm

gloves, never be without gloves. you dont know whats been in that soil before you eat your butties :E

neil.

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:34 pm

Welcome to the forum ::g If you are looking to kit yourself out this excellent topic may assist you in compiling a good shopping list.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=1778

Hope it helps ::g
XP Deus
12 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017), just 4 so far in 2018 (but did find 1 gold coin :D )

stoddy27

Post by stoddy27 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:26 am

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:34 pm
Welcome to the forum ::g If you are looking to kit yourself out this excellent topic may assist you in compiling a good shopping list.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=1778

Hope it helps ::g
THE MOLE wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:34 pm
gloves, never be without gloves. you dont know whats been in that soil before you eat your butties :E

neil.

Thanks both for the above I have purchased some gloves and purchased alot more from the list recommended above :)

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:50 am

will be interested in how you get on with the JEEMAK pointer as ive never heard of those before :)

neil.

Return to “Introduce yourself here Forum”