Joining club

Post all your metal detecting clubs related topics here.
UK Metal Detecting Clubs List here -> Metal Detecting Clubs
Rosie

Joining club

Post by Rosie » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:20 pm

Hi Iam a new metal detectorist is it worth joining a club or keep trying to get your own permissions .I thought I might get more information on things if I did get involved with a. Club I live in north east england

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Re: Joining club

Post by liamnolan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:27 pm

metal-detecting-clubs
Hi Rosie, the link above lists lots of clubs, hope there is one near you. Most will be full but will allow you to drop in as a guest. I think clubs are a great way to enjoy the hobby as you will make lots of friends and get out detecting with them on club digs. Sharing information will help you in deciding how to find your own permissions. Good luck in whatever you decide, Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Rosie

Post by Rosie » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:03 pm

liamnolan wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:27 pm
metal-detecting-clubs
Hi Rosie, the link above lists lots of clubs, hope there is one near you. Most will be full but will allow you to drop in as a guest. I think clubs are a great way to enjoy the hobby as you will make lots of friends and get out detecting with them on club digs. Sharing information will help you in deciding how to find your own permissions. Good luck in whatever you decide, Liam :;@
Thankyou ::g

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:40 pm

Plus, if you manage to join one very often some of them arrange bus trips to rallies :D
Another plus will be other lady members.

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:58 am

I agree that joining a club is a very good idea.

The one I am in, and many others, have a monthly meeting where a guest speaker will talk about a subject related to metal detecting (although the odd one the connection might be slightly tenuous!). This months was about hammered coins, and members were invited to bring in any they had and the speaker would identify them and talk about them. Recently we have also had the FLO talk about his job, (he also frequently attends and will help with IDS and take items for recording on the pas).

We also have a finds table where experienced detectorists will briefly talk about some of the more unusual or better finds. Obviously if you have any unidentified items somebody will be able to tell you what it is (well normally as there is sometimes the odd item that foxes everybody!).

For a newbie its also a great way to get advice.

They will also have organised club digs, so if you are still waiting for your first permission its a good way to get out detecting.

If worried about meeting a group of "strangers", do not worry as they are all like minded people so you have the same interest. It would also be a good way for you to meet other female detectorists.

With our club the NCMD membership is included (£15 pa incluing the NCMD) so the secretary sorts it out each year saving you the trouble.

But most importantly we meet in a PUB ::g :))

Evan

Rosie

Post by Rosie » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:41 pm

Saffron wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:58 am
I agree that joining a club is a very good idea.

The one I am in, and many others, have a monthly meeting where a guest speaker will talk about a subject related to metal detecting (although the odd one the connection might be slightly tenuous!). This months was about hammered coins, and members were invited to bring in any they had and the speaker would identify them and talk about them. Recently we have also had the FLO talk about his job, (he also frequently attends and will help with IDS and take items for recording on the pas).

We also have a finds table where experienced detectorists will briefly talk about some of the more unusual or better finds. Obviously if you have any unidentified items somebody will be able to tell you what it is (well normally as there is sometimes the odd item that foxes everybody!).

For a newbie its also a great way to get advice.

They will also have organised club digs, so if you are still waiting for your first permission its a good way to get out detecting.

If worried about meeting a group of "strangers", do not worry as they are all like minded people so you have the same interest. It would also be a good way for you to meet other female detectorists.

With our club the NCMD membership is included (£15 pa incluing the NCMD) so the secretary sorts it out each year saving you the trouble.

But most importantly we meet in a PUB ::g :))

Evan
sounds good thanks for that ::g

Return to “Clubs Forum”