NEW Military Club - NMRP

Post all your metal detecting clubs related topics here.
UK Metal Detecting Clubs List here -> Metal Detecting Clubs
Chopper

NEW Military Club - NMRP

Post by Chopper » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:04 am

Hi all. I have decided to create a new metal detecting club for the military enthusiasts - The Northern Military Research & Preservation Group - or NMRP.

I'm looking for like-minded people based in North West England (I'm in Northern Cheshire, just outside Liverpool). As a group, we would jointly research potential sites, and seek permissions to organise a detailed search of the area to find, and recovery military artifacts. The finds would then be recorded, and displayed on our website.

http://www.wix.com/thenmrpgroup/home (only a temporary site)

This project is still very much in it's infancy, but I believe that with enough interest, and enough members, we could build up a profile, and gain some very good permissions... and who knows, maybe one day we could head to the european battlefields! B-)

Mrix has very kindly given us our own sub forum, so if you're based in Northern England, and have an interest in the military - in particular WW2, then why not join our club... The NMRP. You can find our sub forum here http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/vi ... .php?f=219 (You will need to private message me in order to gain permission to view the NMRP forum)

Cheers,
Chopper (Lee)

Minelab Sovereign XS-2A Pro and Garrett Pro Pointer

Rayzor

Re: NEW Military Club - NMRP

Post by Rayzor » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:31 am

Interesting!.

Very best of luck with your new club Chopper ;o) I hope the you get all the support the kind people on here offered us.

Can we send you military uniform and cap badges we find?, We have found some, but not being collectors or enthusiasts, they are sitting gathering dust.

Rayzor.
XP Deus 9, new11 and 13 inch coils with WS4 and WS5 headphones
https://www.facebook.com/groups/129706647240543/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chairman and founder of Berkshire Metal Detectorists Club

Chopper

Post by Chopper » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:42 am

Cheers Rayz. Mrix has given us a sub forum - which is just brilliant... so we've got a great base. :)

There seems to be quite a few people around the North West who share this interest, so I thought why not pool that enthusiasm, and see if we can work together.

As for your military finds, thats very kind of you buddy. I'd be more than happy to accept your offer. Obviously I'll pay you for them though... I wouldn't expect them for nothing mate.

Cheers,
Lee

leelad03

Post by leelad03 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:43 am

Mate, This is an AMAZINGidea... I'd be your first to join! As you know with me being on that land with the grenades etc i could hopefully get the group on there in the future...

Ill reply to your inbox message tomorrow!
Garrett Ace 250
Liverpool Lad L.F.C YNWA

WWW.DETECTINGFINDER.COM - NORTH WEST DETECTING

Rayzor

Post by Rayzor » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:51 am

leelad03 wrote:I'd be your first to join! !
He he, how did I know you would be right in there! lol just dont send your grenades you find to chopper in the post, you will get arrested as taliban ha ha ha ha ha ha.
XP Deus 9, new11 and 13 inch coils with WS4 and WS5 headphones
https://www.facebook.com/groups/129706647240543/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chairman and founder of Berkshire Metal Detectorists Club

Chopper

Post by Chopper » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:57 am

Rayzor wrote:dont send your grenades you find to chopper in the post, you will get arrested as taliban ha ha ha ha ha ha.
=)) =)) =))

I'll sort the permissions out with Mrix tomorrow (for the sub forum)

Chopper

Post by Chopper » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:08 pm

Just giving this thread a little bump.

If there's anyone in North West England with an interest in detecting on old military sites, then you may want to consider joining our brand new club - The Northern Military Research & Preservation Group.

If you're interested in joining, then please drop me a PM, and I'll get you added to the NMRP sub forum.

Cheers,
Chopper (Lee)

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:45 pm

Its a shame that I am a million miles away :(

Dave
Minelab CTX3030 : 17", 11", 6" Coils
Minelab Equinox 800 : 15", 11" Coils
XP Deus V3.2 - WS5 : 9" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS

Chopper

Post by Chopper » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:02 pm

It is indeed mate, although I'm very jealous of the abundance of military artifacts available down your neck of the woods. It was all happening down your way ;)

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:08 pm

Yes we were in the main flight path in to London, and I live about half a mile from what was Vickers factory's, a regular target, my local lake was even boarded over with fake huts on as it was used as a visable reference for the bombers :-O

Dave
Minelab CTX3030 : 17", 11", 6" Coils
Minelab Equinox 800 : 15", 11" Coils
XP Deus V3.2 - WS5 : 9" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS

Chopper

Post by Chopper » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:29 pm

Dave8472 wrote:my local lake was even boarded over with fake huts on as it was used as a visable reference for the bombers
Ahh, the decoy targets! Absolute genuis :D

I've read a few stories of some of the bigger operations. For example, the docks in Hull were recreated a couple of miles inland using only lights. When the Luftwaffe flew over, they simply dropped their bomb load onto boggy marsh land! The exact same thing was done in Liverpool (Garston Docks), as I'm sure it was across the country.

Same as the D-Day preperations. The Allies went to great lengths to create a visual army, gathered in Dover. Operation Fortitude saw thousands of inflatable tanks, aircraft and other vehicles, lining the streets and fields. Luftwaffe recon planes recorded the whole thing, and Jerry was convinced that the invasion would come from Dover. Calais was heavilly fortified, leaving Normandy fairly lightly defended, contributing enormously to the success of Operation Overlord! Absolutely amazing stuff :)

stargazer

Post by stargazer » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:48 pm

During WW2 the Government used stage magician Jasper Maskelyne to come up with the decoys and other forms of trickery.

See here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasper_Maskelyne
The mighty Minelab Etrac !

I'm UBIQUE! RE

Wansdyke44

Post by Wansdyke44 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:28 am

Chopper wrote:Hi all. I have decided to create a new metal detecting club for the military enthusiasts - The Northern Military Research & Preservation Group - or NMRP.

I'm looking for like-minded people based in North West England (I'm in Northern Cheshire, just outside Liverpool). As a group, we would jointly research potential sites, and seek permissions to organise a detailed search of the area to find, and recovery military artifacts. The finds would then be recorded, and displayed on our website.

http://www.wix.com/thenmrpgroup/home (only a temporary site)

This project is still very much in it's infancy, but I believe that with enough interest, and enough members, we could build up a profile, and gain some very good permissions... and who knows, maybe one day we could head to the european battlefields! B-)

Mrix has very kindly given us our own sub forum, so if you're based in Northern England, and have an interest in the military - in particular WW2, then why not join our club... The NMRP. You can find our sub forum here http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/vi ... .php?f=219 (You will need to private message me in order to gain permission to view the NMRP forum)

Cheers,
Chopper (Lee)
:-/ Might have to report you under the trades descriptions act mate. I thought you'd never detected in Europe? :-O
In the Zone with the Garrett carrot!

My Finds Gallery

Chopper

Post by Chopper » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:54 am

Wansdyke44 wrote: :-/ Might have to report you under the trades descriptions act mate. I thought you'd never detected in Europe? :-O
Not sure what give you that idea mate, but if the chance arisen to gain permission on private land in Europe, then I'd snap their hand off. :)

Wansdyke44

Post by Wansdyke44 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:16 am

I was just going on what you'd posted elsewhere. Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick/wand ;)
In the Zone with the Garrett carrot!

My Finds Gallery

Chopper

Post by Chopper » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:45 pm

BUMP!

If there's anyone in North West England, who has an interest in detecting on former military sites, then please let me know. I'm currently in the process of starting a new military detectors club :)

leelad03

Post by leelad03 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:55 pm

well its us 2 up to now... i hope alot more join, maybe with advertisment in local papers once you have the website up??
Garrett Ace 250
Liverpool Lad L.F.C YNWA

mrscott

Post by mrscott » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:37 am

I'm interested in this, i'm in Northern England but i'm in East Yorkshire not the North West.
Do I still qualify for membership?

Chopper

Post by Chopper » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:34 pm

mrscott wrote:I'm interested in this, i'm in Northern England but i'm in East Yorkshire not the North West.
Do I still qualify for membership?
Hello mate,

Of course you can join. It may be some way to travel though.

I'll ask Mrix to add you to the NMRP forum.

Cheers,
Lee

hoggster

Post by hoggster » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:29 pm

Hi there, I am only just getting started with the hobby but have always had an interest in military history. Would it be OK to sign me up for this? Have you thought of any sites yet? I was at a good spot at the weekend. HMS Blackcap near Appleton Thorn in Cheshire. Stopped off for a quick look when passing with the kids. The runways and some of the shelters are still intact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RNAS_Stretton_(HMS_Blackcap" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Hoggster

Holedigger Pete

Post by Holedigger Pete » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:12 pm

Best of luck chopper mate hope it all goes well :)

leelad03

Post by leelad03 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:11 am

looking forward to that 1st outing :)
Garrett Ace 250
Liverpool Lad L.F.C YNWA

Sheriff

Post by Sheriff » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:29 am

can you not move this club the other side of the pennines lol 8-> 8->

A military dig sounds like a great idea I hope it goes well for you and your members - The thought you could uncover unexploded bombs should keep you all on your toes :))

I really wish we had more people like you and rayzor my way to organise a club.

I think I am the only person on here from Leeds.
ace 250

fhay

Post by fhay » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:59 pm

Hello sheriff, I'm Frank from Leeds, and it seems there are a good number of members from here on the site, Is it military hardware or militaria, you're interested in, because I've found loads of cap badges, buttons, medals, insignia and shrapnell, from both world wars locally.
Ace 250 DD coil
Euroace
Ace 150
Propointer
Best finds:
2 gold rings
2 silver rings
silver fob
silver T bar
silver coins:
2 half crowns
7 florins