Looking for group/club in Kent

Post all your metal detecting clubs related topics here.
UK Metal Detecting Clubs List here -> Metal Detecting Clubs
Jonathan

Looking for group/club in Kent

Post by Jonathan » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:39 pm

Hey,

I've been looking into metal detecting for a little while now and picked up a inexpensive detector to have a go with. Problem is, the more I read about it the more it puts me off just wandering outdoors and searching, I have no idea where to even begin.

Anyone around Canterbury way know of a group that might not mind showing me the basics? Even setting up the machine is proving somewhat of a challenge right now.

Thanks.

mrix
Founder

Re: Looking for group/club in Kent

Post by mrix » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:54 am

Hello and welcome :)
the more I read about it the more it puts me off just wandering outdoors and searching,
What actually puts you off?

cheers
mrix

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:05 am

Well firstly I don't want to break any laws. If I were to find something valuable I know it needs reporting but how I would do it I have no idea. Figuring out where to search is another factor, I've seen some guys searching farmers fields near Margate on a Sunday a few times, perhaps I'll just drive down next weekend and have a chat with them.

Of course, there's still the setting up of the detector to get the hang of, it's only a very basic model but still, no point heading out if I'll spend the afternoon feverishly excavating cans and bottle tops.

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:51 am

Yes its an interesting hobby but its very anoying finding it difficult to find places.
Every square metre of land it owned by someone in the UK.
I am in the same boat to be honest :(
I guess its a matter of getting out and asking for permissions.
Good luck anyway.
cheers
mrix

Ed_in_kent

Post by Ed_in_kent » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:18 pm

Hi,

There are a few clubs in Kent I believe:
1) Mid Kent Detecting Club
2) Dartford Club
3) Swale Club.

Check out http://www.ncmd.co.uk which is the metal detecting council. It has details of clubs in different areas in the country with a load of other useful stuff.

I know what you mean though - I've recently taken up the hobby and live in Kent and the problem I have is knowing where to go (without getting a farmer chasing after you!!). In the end I contacted a club and joined as often they have land assigned for rally days etc (plus you get a load of good advice). What detector did you buy BTW?

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:28 pm

The detector has no branding on it, was just a £70 "beginners" one from an online store, which one it was escapes me.

I'll contact some of the clubs, see if they won't mind a tag-along one afternoon. Thanks for the info, perhaps I'll bump into you before long.

Return to “Clubs Forum”