South Cambridgeshire club

Post all your metal detecting clubs related topics here.
UK Metal Detecting Clubs List here -> Metal Detecting Clubs
Wessexlad

South Cambridgeshire club

Post by Wessexlad » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:39 am

It's been mentioned before that there are quite a few members in the Cambridge area but no clubs especially nearby. Seems like a no-brainer to have a go at forming a club, even if it's an informal evening in a pub so that we can compare notes and swap ideas. Who knows where it might lead?
Last edited by Wessexlad on Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

So what if I don't know what Armageddon means.
It's not the end of the world.

JWL

Re: Anyone want to help start a club in Cambridge?

Post by JWL » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:58 am

As they say, timing is everything. Today is my last day of working almost full time on Coldham's Lane before returning to being home based in Worcestershire. An informal meet in a pub would have been right down my street even though I am not an active detectorist (yet). I wish you every luck with the idea and if it does take off and I am in town I'll pop along to listen to your stories and hopefully pick up more hints and tips.

slinky

Post by slinky » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:58 pm

I did toy with forming a Cambridgeshire club a fair few years back but due to family commitments couldn’t do it. Drop me a pm I can probably help you out a tad ::g
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

cammann

Post by cammann » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:10 pm

You had me at "...in a pub". I got into detecting after meeting up with a friend of a friend at the Haymakers who introduced me to this hobby. Yep, I'd come along.
XP Deus
Garret Pro Pointer
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Minelab Safari
Garret Ace 250
Best find - medieval gold posy ring, piece and quite

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:31 pm

Good Luck ::g Hope you get plenty of interested peeps ::g Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:41 pm

Best of luck, many on here have started their own clubs and never looked back. Plenty of topics on the forum re advice on what to do, I started my own club 18 months ago in Norwich http://www.norfolkheritagerecovery.org/home.html and its been a great success, made that way by the super club members. We have regular club digs, raise lots for charity and we have reciprocal club dig access to another club, I hope it all turns out well, starting small and then gradually increasing in size can be a good idea, Liam ::g
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Wessexlad

Post by Wessexlad » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:54 pm

Any more for any more? We could meet in a phone box at this rate. =))

Saki

Post by Saki » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:22 pm

Wessexlad wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:54 pm
"Build it and they will come"

Wessexlad, it's not those who are not there that are important. I would say go ahead and start your club. OK, it might be in a phonebox, but at least it will have like-minded people wanting the same goal.
Consider a few things they may prevent a few coming forward right away in the early stages:

The Minelab Equinox syndrome ( some people want to wait to see if it's successful before committing)

The gone off to the toilet syndrome ( a lot of people would love to join a club but don't want the job of a committee member, so during any votes for treasurer or secretary etc. tend to not be there in case they get a task. You will certainly always get more people turn up after a committee is formed )

The January blues syndrome ( a lot of people are trying to catch up on that crazy December spending spree )

Wessexlad, don't be disheartend. Proceed with your plans and people will come. Best of luck with it. :D ::g
Ace400i with Nel Thunder
Garrett Carrot
CScope CS2M
Wish list: MINELAB EQUINOX 800.

"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation."

James G

Post by James G » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:47 pm

South Cambridgeshire here, I'd be interested ::g

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:35 am

Saki wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:22 pm
Wessexlad wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:54 pm
"Build it and they will come"
The gone off to the toilet syndrome ( a lot of people would love to join a club but don't want the job of a committee member, so during any votes for treasurer or secretary etc. tend to not be there in case they get a task. You will certainly always get more people turn up after a committee is formed )

Have to disagree a bit, you need "those that will" to build a club.
Those that "go to the toilet" are more likely to attend to see "whats in it for them".
A decent club needs a higher percentage of contributors rather than takers......keeps the see saw balanced.
It how many long established clubs have got "stuck", people want to join but not contribute and the same old guard keep things ticking along and are seen as secretive/protective etc.
::g
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

Saki

Post by Saki » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:20 pm

jcmaloney wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:35 am

Have to disagree a bit, you need "those that will" to build a club.
Those that "go to the toilet" are more likely to attend to see "whats in it for them".
A decent club needs a higher percentage of contributors rather than takers......keeps the see saw balanced.
It how many long established clubs have got "stuck", people want to join but not contribute and the same old guard keep things ticking along and are seen as secretive/protective etc.
::g
Fully understand your thoughts JC. And understand (and know) those "Stuck" people being secretive/protective.
I personally am all for transparency. I cannot stand the "Meetings after the meeting"

And you are absolutely right regarding "A decent club needs a higher percentage of contributors rather than takers..." Start as you mean to go on. Wessexlad should persevere with his dream of a new club.
Every 10th post here is about the difficulty of gaining membership to a club (And can understand it too, you have to limit numbers) So I really dont think Cambridge will struggle for members.
Best of Luck ::g
Ace400i with Nel Thunder
Garrett Carrot
CScope CS2M
Wish list: MINELAB EQUINOX 800.

"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation."

Hoardy

Post by Hoardy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:07 pm

I think the most important thing about starting a club is what land you have available.
What I mean by this is some land owners will give you and a buddy permission , but they are not so keen on larger numbers, I'm not trying to put you off , just by my experience that's what happened. Rest assured you will get members and you can make it happen , but the members you get must also
try and get permissions, I found it was all down to me and struggled to get new land for 10 or more members to detect on, in the end I shut it down for that reason. Good luck anyway.

ironwarning

Post by ironwarning » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:46 pm

I have Just moved to Cambridge and am looking to join a Club - onloy have a maplins basic detector, looking to get a feel for the hobby and upgreade. Metal detected a few times swhn i lived in bristol. Only found nails of fence

Wessexlad

Post by Wessexlad » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:52 pm

Worth checking once more, if anyone in the Cambridge area is up for a meet I'd like to propose a night in a pub to compare notes and see if we can take it further and form a club. I don't want to do anything formal just yet, just a get-together to see what's what. Who's up for it?

Junior

Post by Junior » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:53 am

I think there needs to b more clubs out there as our 4 local ish in norfolk are all full with waiting lists which never seem to alter.... Rules wise good luck with that .....

me and my mate were in a local club until they changed start time to 6.30 then told by the retired secretary u havnt attended 6 in 12 of the monthly meetings u are both chucked out of the club...tryed to say I work 70 mile from home and don't get back till 6.30 on a good run....his reply woz have no t and come straight to meeting and have t at 9.45 after meeting...but I'm up again a 4.45am it all fell on deaf ears...So maybe better off out of it....I had attended all rallys run by the club tooo...where out of the members a lot would do the club nights but not the charity rallys as there thought were my land's better than that and the £10 entry....tight lot....another thought of the sec woz the landowner should give all the money to charity, in my head it's up to him it's his land...most did but 1 didn't he got silly angry over that...funny man but he's not now secretary and has left the club...

So good luck .....it's a devil of a job to please every one but good on u ..i wouldnt want it ::g

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:04 am

Hi. Depending on the area (Cambs is a big area), I could be up for an initial meeting to chew the fat ::g
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

JWL

Post by JWL » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:41 pm

Well Wessexlad, as an inhabitant of Worcestershire I’m absolutely no use to you at all but I do visit and overnight Coldham's Lane not infrequently. If you do have a pub night and I’m in town and it’s possible to get my van parked nearby I’ll come along and give you a deserved pat on the back for your perseverance. That said I won’t be any use to the flow of conversation, I don’t detect nor do I own a detector, that’s all being saved up for retirement in a year or 3s time.

ironwarning

Post by ironwarning » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:21 pm

I would be up for a meeting in a pub. I'm in the a papworth area

f8met

Post by f8met » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:55 pm

I must have missed this first time around. I would be up for a meet up. There is a club in St Neots which is open but they don't have many club digs.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2018 53 Hammered

Wessexlad

Post by Wessexlad » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:48 pm

We need to agree on somewhere that's central to anyone interested. I'm in Cambridge so South Cambs.

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:56 pm

Wessexlad wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:48 pm
We need to agree on somewhere that's central to anyone interested. I'm in Cambridge so South Cambs.
I might venture along if i,m not working or looking after my child,,,,,so the chances are less than I would like them to be,,, ive been to a few Cambs clubs over the years,i am not sure any of them still operate so you get the general idea of what they were like :)] :)] 8-}

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:15 pm

Wessexlad wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:48 pm
I'm in South cambs too.
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:35 pm

Good luck to you all. I would suggest setting a time and pub to meet up for the first meeting, you can then decide which place to meet in the future, but don/t wait around for others to suggest all kinds of places and dates, if they are keen then they will probably make the effort to get to that first meeting. There will be people "lurking" who will just want to know when and where to meet up and will then pop along. People could bring some of their finds, always interesting! The pub landlord will hopefully know some landowners and choose a "quiet night" in the pub, landlord will like that and you will have some peace and quiet and space.
Club Land - no need to have any, you just need to meet up as a friendly group and Club Land is further down the line. I have to agree with Saki, spot on, he knows people!
No need to appoint officers or anything else on that first meeting. It would be silly anyway as you need to get to know each other first, so just enjoy your pint and chatter and everything will drop into place at its own pace over time.
Hope all goes well, Liam OooO
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Wessexlad

Post by Wessexlad » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:13 pm

Well I think for simplicity we should have the first meet in a Cambridge pub, it'll give me the chance to scope out a decent pub with a quiet night and as far as I can tell it's central to all who have responded so far. More than happy to travel to other places in the future so we all get somewhere local to them. I can't do Wednesday Friday or Saturday due to childcare.

What's everyone think?

ironwarning

Post by ironwarning » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:17 pm

Sounds good!

f8met

Post by f8met » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:56 am

It only a bus ride away so I can have a beer (or 2) and if you need advice on Cambridge pubs...….
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2018 53 Hammered

Edurley

Post by Edurley » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:44 pm

Hi everyone

I have been looking at getting into metal detecting so this sounds like a great idea, it would be great to meet up and chat with people about it as i don't know anyone with this hobby. Also from the south Cambs area.
Ed
Garrett 400i ::g

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:11 pm

Edurley wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:44 pm
Hi everyone

I have been looking at getting into metal detecting so this sounds like a great idea, it would be great to meet up and chat with people about it as i don't know anyone with this hobby. Also from the south Cambs area.

Hello 'EDurley' and welcome aboard the forum. ::g This forum is an excellent place to obtain information on any and every aspect of the hobby. Over there l;/ in the blue panel you'll find the sub-forums which contain a mass of experience both in questions and answers from beginners and experienced members alike.

If you haven't already done so, take a look at the following couple of very helpful links. Any questions for which you can't locate an answer, just ask in the appropriately titled forum ::g Good Luck and enjoy your time with us on the MDF. ::g Regards - ss47

app.php/rules

app.php/mdf-help-guide
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:55 pm

Edurley wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:44 pm
Hi everyone

Hi and welcome Edurley ::g
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

Wessexlad

Post by Wessexlad » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:36 pm

Ok, I propose an initial meet at the Brook on the corner of Perne Road and Mill Road (actually Brookfields but you wouldn't notice) in Cambridge two weeks from now. That's Monday the 14th at 8pm. It just off the ring road, has a car park and a beer garden and the soccerball thingy should be over by then. Who's up for it?

Return to “Clubs Forum”