LGD Slimbridge Glouc Rally 16th July

Please post any metal detecting Events or Rallies here.
Bargeman

Re: LGD Slimbridge Glouc Rally 16th July

Post by Bargeman » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:20 pm

I think I was the only person there who didn't find a Fibula! lots of nice finds on a nice farm. I did ok on the pasture, but struggled on the stubble ::g good to bump into a few of the regulars from here.

BM [:)
XP Goldmaxx Power + 9" coil & WS2 + WS3 wireless phones
NEL Sharpshooter
NEL Tornado
and Mud.

Rutus Alter 71

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:20 pm

Bargeman wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:20 pm
I think I was the only person there who didn't find a Fibula! lots of nice finds on a nice farm. I did ok on the pasture, but struggled on the stubble ::g good to bump into a few of the regulars from here.

Nope - there were at least 2 of us - still seeking that elusive Roman....Good to see all the finds that others produced though.

Phil
Rutus Alter 71
Deus Lite
Garrett Pro Pointer

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:49 pm

I missed out on the Roman as well ;;z

But like many I did get the gas pipe in the first stubble field rl; But I was in good company as another detectorist tried to dig it a few yards from me at the same time. Very many thanks to the detectorist that spotted what we were doing and saved us both a lot of pointles effort. ::g ::g

Towards the end heard somebody digging a hole ask the person between us to help locate his target, suspected it was the gas pipe and walked forward to line the markers up and sure enough he was spot on it, so walked over to him and explained what he was digging .... poor chap had been digging for 20 minutes and hole was about 2 1/2 feet deep!!. At the same time saw another person 20yds away also digging it so walked over to him too. Between the last chap and getting back to my detector I counted 8 holes and could see several others further along.

I look out for overhead lines, but had never thought to look out for pipe markers in the hedges / fences previously (but will in future!!). On todays evidence many other detectorists don't either. Hopefully people reading this will take note and the next time they go into a new field spend a few seconds scaning the hedges / fences for markers (in this case white posts with orange tops) as it could save a lot of wasted effort / time.

Evan

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:22 pm

Decent organiser would have known it was there and told you or marked it on the maps.

The Ferret

Post by The Ferret » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:09 am

Bargeman wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:20 pm

Nice to see you there BM. Strange how some machinces struggled on the stubble but ok on pasture.
Over 400 photos to scan through of finds. Ive never seen so many roman brooches pop up on a dig before h;@ Good to see many people making thier first ever finds yesterday lots of happy faces :D
TF OooO

vladorado

Post by vladorado » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:40 am

It was my first dig on a field yesterday. I spent most of the time getting in grips with the different settings on the CTX and din't find anything. One advise to the beginners like me. You get the goodies not by using the "right program" but by walking a lot!

I want to thank the organisers for the very enjoyable day and all the nice guys I talk to, and who gave me very useful advice on the day!

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:19 pm

It wasn't the GMP that struggled, it was the worn out nut holding the handle! x;

NEL Sharpshooter
NEL Tornado
and Mud.

Rutus Alter 71

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:23 pm

Saffron wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:49 pm

But like many I did get the gas pipe in the first stubble field rl; But I was in good company as another detectorist tried to dig it a few yards from me at the same time. Very many thanks to the detectorist that spotted what we were doing and saved us both a lot of pointles effort. ::g ::g

Evan

Yes Evan - that other gas pipe digger was me - nice to meet you, even though neither of us knew who the other was! And I second your thanks to the chap who pointed it out to us.

Apparently the regulations state that gas pipes have to be buried at least 1.1 metres below ground in fields, so I guess both of us (and the others) would have given up anyway before being at risk of damaging it. Cracking good signal though :)

Phil
Rutus Alter 71
Deus Lite
Garrett Pro Pointer

The Ferret

Post by The Ferret » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:50 pm

vladorado wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:40 am
It was my first dig on a field yesterday. I spent most of the time getting in grips with the different settings on the CTX and din't find anything. One advise to the beginners like me. You get the goodies not by using the "right program" but by walking a lot!

I want to thank the organisers for the very enjoyable day and all the nice guys I talk to, and who gave me very useful advice on the day!
Nice to meet you Sunday Vlad. The ctx will take some time to master. Like you said not always best to buy top end machines for your first detector. Keep at it mate finds will come your way ::g

Video of the finds should be out later this evening and yes your on it B-)
TF OooO

The Ferret

Post by The Ferret » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:35 pm

VIDEO of the finds event here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UQCXm4YEZs
::g

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:38 pm

Ahh Slimbridge ... reminds me when I was threatened with being thrown off the set of Autumn watch, by that Chris bloke, on live TV,,,
Great Video ... you are in the wrong job!

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:16 pm

Phil2401 wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:23 pm
Saffron wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:49 pm

Evan

Yes Evan - that other gas pipe digger was me - nice to meet you, even though neither of us knew who the other was! And I second your thanks to the chap who pointed it out to us.

Apparently the regulations state that gas pipes have to be buried at least 1.1 metres below ground in fields, so I guess both of us (and the others) would have given up anyway before being at risk of damaging it. Cracking good signal though :)

Phil
Hi Phil, you should of recognised me by "Horrid Hound".
Lets introduce our selves properly next time, when hopefully we will both be digging a Roman or hammered rather than a gas pipe :))

I knew gas pipes had to be burried at least a certain depth but did not know what it was, I am actually slightly surprised that so many people found a good enough signal to dig if they are that deep.

I would certainly have given up well before getting anywhere near it, but do wonder if the chap I saw at the end might have dug down to it.

Evan

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:31 pm

Re my initial post mentioning the gas pipe.

My post was in part designed to make people smile, if I do something stupid I do not mind if it makes anybody laugh ... but they should be warned if they will get the same response if I catch them doing something stupid!!.

But more importantly it was designed to be constructive and advise people that when detecting a new field a few seconds looking to see if there are any gas pipe markers in the hedges / fences could save wasted time and effort (something a lot of people had obviously not done on Sunday). If only a few people take note of this and at some point in the future it saves them effort / time then the post was well worth while.

It was not designed for one person to yet again have a pot shot at "commercial digs"

Evan

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:01 am

Well said Evan ::g

NEL Sharpshooter
NEL Tornado
and Mud.

Rutus Alter 71

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:23 am

Saffron wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:31 pm
Re my initial post mentioning the gas pipe.

My post was in part designed to make people smile, if I do something stupid I do not mind if it makes anybody laugh ... but they should be warned if they will get the same response if I catch them doing something stupid!!.

But more importantly it was designed to be constructive and advise people that when detecting a new field a few seconds looking to see if there are any gas pipe markers in the hedges / fences could save wasted time and effort (something a lot of people had obviously not done on Sunday). If only a few people take note of this and at some point in the future it saves them effort / time then the post was well worth while.

It was not designed for one person to yet again have a pot shot at "commercial digs"

Evan
I`m sorry but, commercial or not, it is the organisers duty to advise attendee`s of such things.

The organiser spent a fair amount of time at the pre-dig brief going through whatever (I didn`t watch the whole video or have the sound on..I just flicked through) yet couldn`t be bothered to mention a gas main?

One of the things an organiser should check is service pipes if known and the hedge markers would be a pretty big clue.

I also noticed nobody appeared to have a paper map outlining where folk can/can`t search?

On our digs everyone gets one. 40 or 50 sheets of A4 are pennies.
It also helps for recording finds with their local FLO.... especially when you have attendees from outside of the local area & you can mark on things like parking, gas mains etc.

As a voluntary dig organiser our club have high standards & I would expect somebody making a living/profit from it to match those ....or do better. ::g

The Ferret

Post by The Ferret » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:56 pm

Just passing on the reply

From LGD: Firstly John, you are a regular, vocal opposer of Lets Go Digging, whatever we do, you would find fault. Secondly, we instruct our members to exactly what fields are available and have plenty of admin out on the fields as many people cannot read a map. Thirdly, I was informed by the farmer that there was a pipe buried in the field and that it was at a depth of 420cm which in all honesty was considered below the realms of anyone digging down to it. However, thank you for your comments, we will endeavour to be far more conscientious in future and try to reach the standards set by you for your club. I am sure we will be as good one day!

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:06 pm

Jolly good, if somebody pointing things out raises the standards then the outcome is better for all. ::g

The rest of it is up for debate.....vocal opponent or just pointing out the potential pitfalls of a business that is seen as "selling off our collective history" ? Now that isn`t my personal quote, however other bodies are aware of the monetisation of the hobby.

;)

The Ferret

Post by The Ferret » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:11 pm

That's good then think this thread has run it's course and request it's locked down now...
TF ):=

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:31 pm

Before this thread is locked down, I'd just like to have my two pennyworth -

Firstly Evan I think all of us got the sentiment of your original post - you clearly weren't criticising anybody, but just being very helpful by providing information and advice for the future.

Secondly it annoys me intensely that some people will use this and other forums to 'flame' their competitors, or people with whom they simply disagree, or indeed of whom they may be envious. If you have a problem, don't air your dirty linen in public - contact the people you're not happy with personally. 'Selling off our collective history'? What the H*** is that supposed to mean? How can LGD be seen as doing anything other than running a business that gives newcomers like me the opportunity to detect good / promising sites? If I see any malpractice on the part of LGD I'll be off like a shot - I just want to enjoy the hobby and have indeed enjoyed every dig I've been to, successful or not.

The gas pipe was not an important issue - quite amusing that so many of us were taken in by it and as TF suggests, it is remarkable that so many machines picked up signals from a pipe buried that deep - it could hardly have been considered a 'risk' before the dig.

Well I had a good day out anyway, albeit not very productive.

Anyway the thread has been spoilt by the adverse comments - the positive ones far outweigh them.

Phil
Rutus Alter 71
Deus Lite
Garrett Pro Pointer

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:49 pm

No "flaming" here...... there are people with far more influence than me asking questions about such operations.
I`ll leave it there before people start making more accusations & assumptions as they are unable to see the wood for the tree`s as "they are getting out digging" and thats all that matters.

When the likes of Natural England, HMRC & the CBA are clamping down on the hobby don`t say you weren`t warned.

Return to “Rallies”