Open dig - Reed, Hertfordshire Sunday 19th

Please post any metal detecting Events or Rallies here.
zoeeleanor

Open dig - Reed, Hertfordshire Sunday 19th

Post by zoeeleanor »

Only a few places left!

We have arranged an open charity dig next Sunday 19th August in Reed, Hertfordshire. Huge field of easily detectible rape stubble. Been pulled through, field is flat and never been detected.

Situated in between St Mary's Church in Reed, which dates back to Saxon times, and alongside the A10 which is on the same route as the Roman Ermine Street.

Reed is a 2000 year old settlement named in the Domesday Book 1086 as 'Retth' and is surrounded by Ancient Woodland.

Parking is available on adjacent field. £15pp Start at 9.00am finish - full details will be given by Friday evening. Please head to new FB Page Pink Wellies Detecting and add your name. Only a few places left though. ::g

thefiggis

Re: Open dig - Reed, Hertfordshire Sunday 19th

Post by thefiggis »

Hope this new open dig resource proves of value and that it proves fruitful for anyone attending ::g

The only thing to say at this point (and it should be said) is that this appears to be a new organiser who no doubt has the best of intentions but who obviously has no history with us. As such, any attendees do so entirely at their own discretion and any feedback would be welcome.

Have fun.
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

Easylife

Post by Easylife »

It sounds potentially good but could not find the FB page out of interest. :D
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

hairyharry

Post by hairyharry »

Thanks for the FB link, have added my name, hope to see you there

HH
Graduated from the XP ADX 250 then the GMP and now on the Deus
Now paired with the Equinox 800

zoeeleanor

Post by zoeeleanor »

mod edit: link removed. Note the Forum rules prohibit links to Facebook

Here is the link - I actually do have history - I went on Liams dig in Norfolk last year.

dig-dog

Post by dig-dog »

I’ve already got my name down but not through this forum!
DD :)
E-trac 13" ultimate coil.
Full XP Deus 11" coil / hf elliptical coil
Sniper spade

under a big sky

Post by under a big sky »

thefiggis wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:26 pm
Hope this new open dig resource proves of value and that it proves fruitful for anyone attending ::g

The only thing to say at this point (and it should be said) is that this appears to be a new organiser who no doubt has the best of intentions but who obviously has no history with us. As such, any attendees do so entirely at their own discretion and any feedback would be welcome.

Have fun.
As a newcomer to detecting (and this forum) and having just taken delivery of a new detector I was very keen to get out and get started. Without any permissions yet I was very happy to see Pink Wellies open dig being held today not too far away from me. I attended with just a little trepidation having read through the 'good, the bad and the ugly' thread on organised rallies. So to report some feedback - I found this gathering to be friendly, well run and responsibly organised and will certainly attend again in future. Many thanks to the organisers for an enjoyable day.

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy »

under a big sky wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:11 pm
thefiggis wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:26 pm

Have fun.
As a newcomer to detecting (and this forum) and having just taken delivery of a new detector I was very keen to get out and get started. Without any permissions yet I was very happy to see Pink Wellies open dig being held today not too far away from me. I attended with just a little trepidation having read through the 'good, the bad and the ugly' thread on organised rallies. So to report some feedback - I found this gathering to be friendly, well run and responsibly organised and will certainly attend again in future. Many thanks to the organisers for an enjoyable day.
hello, so did you find anything with your new detector ?? what model ??

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 »

A couple of my friends went there, and had some good finds ::g

Dave ):=
Minelab Equinox 800 : 15", 11", 6” Coils
XP Deus V3.2 - WS5 : 9" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS
Past Detectors : Explorer Se Pro, CTX3030

under a big sky

Post by under a big sky »

Hi,

so I have a just got myself a Quest Q40 with the small blade coil (which I was thankful for with all the stubble yesterday!)

The sum total of my finds were, a washer, some lead, fragments of harrow blade and a big old (lucky?) horseshoe.. in retrospect I probably should have dug more targets as there were plenty coming up with low target ID's.. but it's all a learning curve

zoeeleanor

Post by zoeeleanor »

Thank you for the feedback. We met some amazing people and thoroughly enjoyed the day. I was disappointed that there were not more finds for everyone but there were some interesting artefacts. People found a 16c sundial, an old brass nutcracker, some hammered coins, a heraldic shield pendant, buttons, belt buckles, so all was not lost but boy we had to work for it!

I am hoping to organise another dig in two weeks - there are already several arranged for the bank holiday. Hopefully next time will be more productive. This weekend I intend to go door knocking for more land.

Thanks to everyone for making it such an enjoyable day!

Return to “Rallies Forum”