Newbie (and others) what do you want?.

Please post any metal detecting Events or Rallies here.
Saffron

Newbie (and others) what do you want?.

Post by Saffron » Sun May 12, 2019 6:07 pm

I attended the "Newbie (and others) training day" it combined both informative talks and detecting (mentored with advice for those that required it) and it was obvious that a lot of time and hard work had been put into it.

I thought the whole idea was brilliant and that it was very well done, and was perfect for anybody starting the hobby and even good for much more experienced detectorists. When I first started detecting its the kind of event I would have jumped at (at that stage if somebody had said about visiting Flo I would have thought that they were visiting an old aunt!).

But there was one thing that did disappoint me. The lack of support !. I thought that it should have been "A sell out", with a lot more attending.

I just wonder what people want?, was there something about this event that put off?, was there things that people wanted that were not included?. Or are people just inclined to watch a few short videos on line then think that they know it all and do not need this type of event.

Evan

lonecoiler

Re: Newbie (and others) what do you want?.

Post by lonecoiler » Sun May 12, 2019 6:20 pm

It must be very frustrating when people ask for this event and then don't attend it. From the positive feedback I have read in the main post everyone seemed to have enjoyed it and found it useful. There was a lot of praise for the mentors and guest lecturers. I think another day such as this would be well attended. :;@
Garrett Ace 250 with NEL Tornado coil.
C.Scope CS4PI

So many fields, so few permissions

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sun May 12, 2019 10:52 pm

Many thanks for that feeedback Lonecoiler.

In other things that I have been involved with I know that the first time something is tried the support can be less than hoped. Basically people being unsure what it would be like and letting others find out!, then depending on the feedback then going should the event be held again in the future.

To me it just seemed disappointing when you see the number of "newbies" that have signed up recently and then asked for advice, and I thought that this would be a perfect way to learn a lot more about detecting and get help from experienced detectorists.

I have no idea if paint (Ian), or anybody else, might considering the same kind of event next year, IF so as the feedback has been very positive, like Lonecoiker said the takeup might be better.

Evan

paint

Post by paint » Mon May 13, 2019 9:17 am

I might be a glutton for punishment but I would do it again, this is the first time i have organized anything to do with metal detecting and have learnt a lot, and i can say that there are ways to make this type of event better, mainly it was just the wrong time of year the land was very difficult to get dare I say later in the year when the crops are off i have a lot more options won,t make that mistake again also ask for more help it was very hard work a lot happened behind the scenes could not have done it with out liam who was brilliant and supported this event all the way.
So if there is enough interest in making this happen again and offers of help let me know so i can start planning again I am open to all new ideas and ways to improve a newbie event

Cheers paint

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Mon May 13, 2019 10:44 am

Saffron wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:07 pm
I attended the "Newbie (and others) training day" it combined both informative talks and detecting (mentored with advice for those that required it) and it was obvious that a lot of time and hard work had been put into it.

I thought the whole idea was brilliant and that it was very well done, and was perfect for anybody starting the hobby and even good for much more experienced detectorists. When I first started detecting its the kind of event I would have jumped at (at that stage if somebody had said about visiting Flo I would have thought that they were visiting an old aunt!).

But there was one thing that did disappoint me. The lack of support !. I thought that it should have been "A sell out", with a lot more attending.

I just wonder what people want?, was there something about this event that put off?, was there things that people wanted that were not included?. Or are people just inclined to watch a few short videos on line then think that they know it all and do not need this type of event.

Evan
I think part of it might be the travelling distances involved..

When you think of the huge geographical coverage this forum has, no location is going to suit everybody...Myself and a few others who attended travelled a long way but not everyone can or will want too...
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

paint

Post by paint » Mon May 13, 2019 11:53 am

Thats a good point but over the 6 months of planing there was quite a lot of newbies not that far away which did not make the effort its not for everybody the crowd we had was brilliant and lots of friendships formed you only get out of a hobby what you put in and everyone has different budget I am realistic that not everyone can travel but from the feed back so far it was well worth it for the members that attended
Cheers paint

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Mon May 13, 2019 12:14 pm

hello, how many newbies did go ? how many others went along to advise and support ??, in days gone past i thought nothing of a 2 hour drive 100/150 miles to a dig, then finding the location, but then the travel/dig cost was far cheaper than todays offerings, i congratulate you for putting a newbie dig on even if some did not make it, hope it will not put you off trying another, i might even help find some fields next time, thats south of Oxford. cheers

paint

Post by paint » Mon May 13, 2019 12:37 pm

We had a 2 to 1 split roughly and just over 30 addend another 10 would have been brilliant but small steps

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Mon May 13, 2019 12:52 pm

paint wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:37 pm
We had a 2 to 1 split roughly and just over 30 addend another 10 would have been brilliant but small steps
hello, ok was not to bad on numbers, i will see what there is on fields of farms i know after harvest, i would hope 50 plus could attend, cheers

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Mon May 13, 2019 1:11 pm

One thing that has not happened so far this year is the annual MDF Forum Dig and so if anyone can find around 50 acres of land for October time then let me know! Would be a one-day event, any area considered, preferably not pasture, Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Mon May 13, 2019 1:28 pm

garrettoldboy wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:52 pm
paint wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:37 pm
hello, ok was not to bad on numbers, i will see what there is on fields of farms i know after harvest, i would hope 50 plus could attend, cheers
just to add if the new NOKTA SIMPLEX DETECTOR is available in the UK by them i hope to try this out.

Tizabi

Post by Tizabi » Mon May 13, 2019 1:56 pm

if any the experts come through Berwick they welcome to cuppa and slice of cake in exchange for their knowledge :)) ::g ::g
Tizabi :ml

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Mon May 13, 2019 3:26 pm

I would LOVE l;. h;@ 8=ypr to have a one-day Forum Rally near Berwick as it has tons of history.
If anyone up there can find a bit of land for a September'ish time then I will travel there to start the ball rolling and organise everything, all I need is the actual land. Can also be a two-day affair of course. I better make a proper post in Rallies!! Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Bors

Post by Bors » Mon May 13, 2019 3:41 pm

liamnolan wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:11 pm
One thing that has not happened so far this year is the annual MDF Forum Dig and so if anyone can find around 50 acres of land for October time then let me know! Would be a one-day event, any area considered, preferably not pasture, Liam :;@
Yes and preferably if possible more central so it would be beneficial (and fair) to everyone. Its the same when the Big rallies are put on, its always down South there chosen to be put on . Great for the Southern detectorists who only have to travel up to 100 miles Max, but not so good for the Northern tribes who face a 250 to 300-mile trudge and can face around £50 + travelling costs before you`ve even started. :(

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Mon May 13, 2019 4:46 pm

Very man thanks for the feedback folks.

I am sure that location is a major factor, but as Ian / paint said since this rally was first mentioned there have been a significant number of newbies join the forum within a sensible traveling distance of the site. It was also very close to the M5, and not far from the M4 ((only up 1 junction), so this gave easy access from a large part of the country.

For anybody traveling any distance there was also the option of camping.

For anybody with a boat they could even have come by canal, as the Sharpness canal was adjacent to the house where the talks were given ::g ::g

But events like this can only be held where people are willing to find land and run them.

Cost was also mentioned. With a lot of "commercial" digs costing £20 a day and even if a "newbie" you are then "just left to it" with no help if you get stuck IMHO I think the "mentored detecting" with the additional presentations was well worth the £20 - and it was going to charity.
As for the £5 for the fantastic buffet lunch that was great value as I am sure everybody would agree.

I fully accept that for some people money is very tight these days, prices certainly seem to go up a lot more than pensions (I can vouch for that myself!) and wages. But I think this event was certainly value for money.

Evan

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Mon May 13, 2019 4:59 pm

Bors wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 3:41 pm
liamnolan wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:11 pm
Yes and preferably if possible more central so it would be beneficial (and fair) to everyone. Its the same when the Big rallies are put on, its always down South there chosen to be put on . Great for the Southern detectorists who only have to travel up to 100 miles Max, but not so good for the Northern tribes who face a 250 to 300-mile trudge and can face around £50 + travelling costs before you`ve even started. :(

Bors, knowing a few of the people that have organised large rallies the one reason that they are mainly in the centre or south of the country is simply because that is where they get much better support. The one organisation tried detecting events in the north and they had very little support from detectorists.
I actually attended a charity dig in Scotland last year (well over 800 mile round trip), it had been well advertised including on here and was well run, yet apart from locals it there were VERY FEW there.

Regarding a possible MDF dig Liam has already said he is willing to travel and do the organisaton IF anybody can find the land, (Bors you said about wanting one in the north do you have any suitable land?). Berwick upon Tweed was mentioned, I am with Liam on that and would love a dig in that area (600+ mile round trip ... but who cares because Tizabi has already offered me a cuppa and more importantly a slice of cake :D ::g )

Evan

Magnas

Post by Magnas » Mon May 13, 2019 5:45 pm

I’m the very definition of a newbie and would have loved to attend the event but booking the weekend at a fortnight’s notice (only joined the forum at the end of April) coupled with the best part of a six hour drive (350 miles) each way just combined to make it impossible.

I don’t think northern detectorists are any less inclined to attend a meetup than southern detectorists, there are just less of us. I’m in Glasgow and it would seem that we don’t even have a local club! Seriously thinking about trying to start something, maybe via Meetup.com or something similar.

If there was any serious thought to organising something in this neck of the woods I’d be more than willing to help despite my inexperience.

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Mon May 13, 2019 6:52 pm

Magnas wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 5:45 pm
I’m the very definition of a newbie and would have loved to attend the event but booking the weekend at a fortnight’s notice (only joined the forum at the end of April) coupled with the best part of a six hour drive (350 miles) each way just combined to make it impossible.

I don’t think northern detectorists are any less inclined to attend a meetup than southern detectorists, there are just less of us. I’m in Glasgow and it would seem that we don’t even have a local club! Seriously thinking about trying to start something, maybe via Meetup.com or something similar.

If there was any serious thought to organising something in this neck of the woods I’d be more than willing to help despite my inexperience.
Sadly most of us do not have our own helicopters :)) so traveling a long distance can be time consuming and work out expensive.

When I said about the organiser finding "lack of support" in the north it could simply be because there are less detectorists in the north, I am not suggesting that they are less sociable. In large areas of the south it is very difficult for individuals to get permission to detect so lack of their own permissions might also be a factor in why they organised events get more detectorists.

There are old threads on here about starting a club, and others have done it. Use the search option to try and find them. Initially make it very informal and meet and a pub and see what people are willing to do and what they want.

Evan

Bors

Post by Bors » Mon May 13, 2019 7:24 pm

quote Saffron,..." (Bors you said about wanting one in the north do you have any suitable land?). Berwick upon Tweed was mentioned, I am with Liam on that and would love a dig in that area ".

I wish I could answer yes to that but sadly my Areas are mainly Rocky Mountainous or Hilly areas where the ground is inundated with rocks with a few low - land ploughed fields, but due to the shortage of good detecting land in my area it`s been done to death by every butcher and his dog. So it's not worth traveling 5 miles to, let alone 100 or more . My detecting these days I have to go out of my area.
It's not me really I was concerned about, its the lads from places like Scotland or the Tyne or Leeds area`s I was thinking of. A 500 mile round trip like someone mentioned is a very expensive trip even if your working, let alone if your unemployed but would like to have gone to an MDF annual dig as thats what my reference was to, not so much the Newbies one..

Kritika

Post by Kritika » Tue May 14, 2019 1:36 am

I also attended the Newbies Day. Paint and his family had worked very hard to get it all organised and the morning lectures and lunch were truly excellent. Everyone involved deserves and massive thank you from us all.

But as Evan has asked - what is it that newbies want? In my humble opinion, if you wish to attract a larger number of newbies next time, I believe the following one day itinerary would very attractive for a complete novice.

Morning Session 9.00 - 12.30 (Classroom & Outside test beds)

Classroom

The Laws, where you can and cannot detect.

NCMD/FID - which to choose and why. What does your Insurance cover?

How to get permission, tips on what works, applying to landowners and parish councils. What can YOU offer in return, building trust and respect. Permission paperwork examples.

Machines - simple guide to machine basics such as how to switch your machine on properly, how they work, coils, control box and knob twiddling, varying frequencies, headphones, tools guide to spades, trowels, etc , GPS and practical clothing plus finds bags and what to bring with you etc.

Researching your land – maps, online tools, sourcing information, field walking, why it makes a difference.

Planning your detecting day, rest breaks food/drink, weather issues, parking up, security of yourself and equipment, being aware of livestock, gate security, farm vehicles and mobile phone.

Plan your detecting year, crop cycles when is the best and worst time to detect.

Search patterns, line, grid or headless chicken?

Reading the site, initial quick for signs of where people walked, bridges, paths, old buildings.

Beach Detecting - basics.

Responsible Detecting - not leaving unfilled holes, taking away rubbish, disposing of scrap, detecting.

Detecting etiquette.

Headphones or not.

Finds cleaning techniques.

Identifying and researching your finds on PAS.

Correct procedure on how to report your finds to your local FLO.

Outside & Test Beds

Test Beds - Practical demo's with your own machines of effective detecting and tone identification using actual samples coins and jewellery made of bronze, copper, silver & gold at different depths and soils.

Tidy digging techniques on pasture.

Coil swinging and ground coverage, speed Vs finds recovery, depth, systematic straight.

Lunch 12.30 - 13.30

Afternoon Session 13.30 - 17.00 (Dig site practical )

1:3 small group machine-specific hands on detecting with an experience mentor who has the same machine as the tree newbies or at least experience in using the newbies brand of machine.

The above course would ideally be held the day before the Forum Rally, so the newbies could go on to use their new found experience and techniques on the Forum Rally the next day.
Last edited by Kritika on Tue May 14, 2019 10:30 am, edited 6 times in total.
XP Deus 11' x35, NCMD Member, full of hope and generous nature ::g

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Tue May 14, 2019 6:15 am

Well that’s what I would have wanted too u;@ the only thing I’d add is equipment - guide to spades, trowels, etc., practical clothing plus finds bags and what to bring with you. And then a simple guide to machine basics such as how to switch your machine on properly and other important stuff like that ::g
XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 11 :D

lonecoiler

Post by lonecoiler » Tue May 14, 2019 8:03 am

In theory that looks like a good itinerary, however with questions and other interruptions I doubt if half of that could be covered in that time slot.. A lot of the knowledge wanted in that itinerary is readily available l;/ so reading all the other feedback posts I think the team got everything right. Well done chaps and families. :;@
C.Scope CS4PI

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Tue May 14, 2019 8:57 am

hello, from what i see of the beginners day, it was made to just be a general over view of detectors and detecting, from what Kritika has written putting on a day like that i would charge £150 a day, METAL DETECTING IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE, if your a beginner buy a beginners detector, read the instruction book, learn the basic terms how a detector works, if possible make a test bed in your garden, find some permissions, research the area, plan ahead what you need to take, digger/food/water/hot drink/ always wear gloves on land, if you find anything and need help, POST A DECENT PHOTO, over the years i have seen so many buy a high end detector only to sell 6 months later DETECTING IS A HOBBY THAT REQUIRES LOTS OF PRACTICE UNTIL YOU KNOW YOUR DETECTOR LIKE A GOOD FRIEND.

Bors

Post by Bors » Tue May 14, 2019 9:02 am

garrettoldboy wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:57 am
hello, from what i see of the beginners day, it was made to just be a general over view of detectors and detecting, from what Kritika has written putting on a day like that i would charge £150 a day, METAL DETECTING IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE, if your a beginner buy a beginners detector, read the instruction book, learn the basic terms how a detector works, if possible make a test bed in your garden, find some permissions, research the area, plan ahead what you need to take, digger/food/water/hot drink/ always wear gloves on land, if you find anything and need help, POST A DECENT PHOTO, over the years i have seen so many buy a high end detector only to sell 6 months later DETECTING IS A HOBBY THAT REQUIRES LOTS OF PRACTICE UNTIL YOU KNOW YOUR DETECTOR LIKE A GOOD FRIEND.
Good logic ::g

Zyrbalax

Post by Zyrbalax » Tue May 14, 2019 9:12 am

I think kritika's post is excellent (with Oxgirl's addendum!). I agree that's a LOT to cover in a morning, but perhaps it could be used as a "wish list" and focus in on a few key areas from that list.

I particularly like the idea of 1:3 small group machine-specific hands on sessions - I would love to have an experienced detectorist walking alongside me giving me tips on technique (swinging too fast? coil too high off the ground?) and advice on what signals he/she would dig or ignore as they sound off.

I really like the idea of something like this being run the day before the forum rally too.

I also love the idea of going somewhere a bit further afield; a chance to detect in an area with potentially very different history and activity to my usual haunts would be a big draw for me.

The newbie day we've just had was great, and hats off to all involved; this thread is an excellent way to refine the newbie day concept into something even better, so thank you Evan for kicking off the discussion :)

Z
Minelab Safari

"There's treasure everywhere!" (Calvin & Hobbes / Watterson)

Best find 2019: Robert III of Bethune - Alost Penny 1305-1322

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Tue May 14, 2019 9:46 am

My tuppence worth:
The world is changing and so is how we give and receive information.
Personally i am not sure i would want to travel 3 hours just to sit in a stuffy room listening to different people speak, especially when i can see fields out of the window and my machine is all charged up
There is just too much information that can be talked about and the days would end up lost in a babble of information swimming around your head

The above is not a gripe or a moan, or even disrespectful to the amount of organising that goes into and actually went into the newbie rally
I doff my cap to Liam and Ian who made it all possible

What my opening paragraph is trying to say is:
Webinars

Ok, so lets say this "Newbie rally" concept takes off and becomes a regular ish thing that helps, advises and guides new people into our hobby
On the day, in the fresh air and open fields is when the practical lessons should be done.
Machines, health and safety, being aware of your surroundings, digging neat holes and filling said holes, extracting targets, which targets and sounds to dig etc etc

But, prior to the newbie day taking place we could hold a series of "Webinars"

What is a Webinar i hear you ask?
Ok, so there is software out there that will create a "Room"
We/you all sign up to "enter" that room (you dont need webcams or anything like that, just headphones for the listeners and mics for the talkers/speakers
So the webinar can be say an hour in length, its live so you can type questions, but you have a guest speaker
As an example it could be arranged for someone from the NCMD to do an hour long presentation, we can ask questions and also sign up on the night etc
We could have someone with experience in gaining permissions do another webinar on another night
We could even have someone produce a video on how to dig the perfect hole, then open a webinar where we all join and then collectively watch the instruction video and ask and answer questions in the webinar

The possibilities are endless
It takes away the need to travel long distances just to listen to talking, but instead you make full use of the detecting day rally with the proper instructional practical stuff that everyone is looking for
It gives people the choice whether they want to attend the webinars if it interests them
It will increase attendance exponentially, both in the webinar and on the actual rally day
The webinars can be recorded and start to form an online library of "how toos" etc

But the main thing is it will free up the actual newbie day rally to be better used for practical detecting lessons actually out in the field
There are no shortage of folk willing to pass on their knowledge and information freely

Just my opinion though
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Paul23

Post by Paul23 » Tue May 14, 2019 9:51 am

I followed the mailings as this unfolded and thought what a great idea. Also people who loved the hobby wanted to take the time and effort to put something back into it and help others along. Having only started detecting last June I felt that I could learn something from getting better results from my Deus. It was rather sad that I was unable to attend but hopefull there will be another one.
I take my hat off to those who organised the event and hope many more follow .
Well done chaps. 👏🏻👍.

Kritika

Post by Kritika » Tue May 14, 2019 10:03 am

Hi Oxgirl136 - Added in Red ::g

Blackadder43
- I agree It could easily all be in one video or a webinar, but it would not be the same as actual hands on experience with a seasoned detectorist at your side. And you would lose the main benefit of meeting and making new friends in our wonderful hobby.

Lonecoiler - I agree it looks like lot to get done in a morning classroom session, but I know it could be done as I instructed for a living for 20yrs, and with the proper preparation and split theory / out door practical groups, it could all easily be achieved in one morning, and that way you would not need to sit in the classroom all morning.

As Zyrbalax said - The main thing for any newbie would be to get out for the 1:3 small group machine-specific hands on sessions
Last edited by Kritika on Tue May 14, 2019 10:39 am, edited 7 times in total.
XP Deus 11' x35, NCMD Member, full of hope and generous nature ::g

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Tue May 14, 2019 10:15 am

Kritika wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:03 am

Blackadder43 - I agree It could easily all be in one video or a webinar, but it would not be the same as actual hands on experience with a seasoned detectors at your side.
Hiya, the detecting day and practical tuition is untouched
But talking about insurance and other things like that dont need an experienced person next to you, and could be part of the newbie rally experience, but done prior to the detcting day and done online as MDF members
The actual rally day would be more used for practical instructional stuff from the experienced detectorists, as i mentioned
::g
Also it would be a series of webinars not just the one, that would take too long

I am not advocating replacing the hands on day rally experience with a webinar, far from it
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

lonecoiler

Post by lonecoiler » Tue May 14, 2019 10:27 am

Web in ars...It's the future. I know that if I drove for 2 or 3 hours to a venue and then had to sit for 3.5_4 hours I would not be able to do the practical side. These old bones would protest too much and I would be worried about the drive home. A webinar with the right content would also be useful for those with more experience. Win win situation. Blackadder, please give yourself 10 out of 10 and take an apple from the sideboard . :;@
C.Scope CS4PI

Return to “Rallies Forum”