Want to learn all about detecting? Newbies (and others) Training/Detecting 2nd Feb 2020

Please post any metal detecting Events or Rallies here.
liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Re: Want to learn all about detecting? Newbies (and others) Training Day Feb 2nd Lincolnshire

Post by liamnolan »

Been very busy on all fronts but below is what has shaped up today. I am indebted to Wardie and his Dad-in-law Richard for sorting out some excellent land and lots more. ::g
Location - Tealby area - https://romanlincolnshire.wordpress.com ... hoard-pot/ Village Hall for the morning talks, but booked all day for us, handy for toilets. Address will be posted soon.
Date - Sunday 2nd February.
Time - 9am arrival for registration, tea/coffee and intros.
Cost - £15 per person, every penny goes to charity. Perhaps Air Ambulance this time. Cash on arrival. Bring some cash for the raffle .. drawn before we head off to lunch.
Finish - Its sunset at 4.50pm so we will be off the land by 4.30pm latest.
Who can attend - MDF members only, plus any family members. Pets are fine.
Topics for morning discussion include;
The history of metal detecting, the Laws, where you can and cannot detect.
NCMD/FID - which to choose and why. Insurance cover, who speaks for your hobby?
How to get a Permission, some tips on what works, applying to landowners and parish councils. What can YOU offer in return, building trust and respect.
Machines - how they work, coils, control box and knob twiddling, varying frequencies, headphones, tools, GPS, clothing etc.
Researching your land - maps, online tools, sourcing information, why it makes a difference.
Planning your detecting day, rest breaks, food/drink, weather issues, parking up, security of yourself and equipment, being aware of livestock, gate security, farm vehicles, permission paperwork, mobile phone.Talks and demo's from our own experts.
Midday - you can bring along some sandwiches etc or visit this local pub - http://thekingsheadtealby.co.uk/ for a pint, food, natter.
1pm - Some good land will be available, probably rotted stubble. Never been used for events, just one or two detectorists over the years. Some MDF detecting gurus have offered to join you on the land to carry on the tuition. I am indebted to them.
Test Beds - Practical demo's of effective detecting - tidy digging on pasture, coil swinging and ground coverage, speed Vs finds recovery, depth, systematic straight line, grid or headless chicken?
Charity Raffle - I will beg prizes from manufacturers, plus you can donate some if you wish! ::g
Below are those who have asked to attend.

1 - Wardie - confirmed - contact Ash re anything you need to know re the area
2 - Yellowdog - Neil Howell - confirmed
3 -
4 - detecting rod & boss - confirmed
5 - georgedabub (possible)
6 - CombatMedic170
7 - arfur_sleep
8 - fred - GURU overall, plus Nox expert
9 - petef
10 - metal-pete
11 - Zyrbalax (possible)
12 - Merneo (possible)
13 - Hofling & daughter
14 - Dafydd -
15 - Stacey burnett
16 - Machinist - GURU
17 - Maximum & hubby & 9yrs old son - confirmed
18 - &hubby
19 - & 9yrs old son
20 - Ferret man
21 - & daughter
22 - Skytriker
23 - ChrisW
24 - Richard - confirmed - Kindly providing the land!
25 - Sweepstick47 - confirmed - distinguished all round brilliant bloke GURU
26 - thefiggis - whose capacity for gin would have Oliver Reed running to his mother =))
27 - Daveyeos - confirmed
28 -
29 -
30 -
31 -
32 -
33 -
34 -
35 -
36 -

Can anyone NOT now able to attend please post on here and I will amend the list. Likewise any POSSIBLEs also confirm their place.
We will have tons of land but I want all those attending to have some first class tuition. I learned so much last time and of course its always a real privilege to actually meet you all for real ::g
My local club - LHSS - may join us on the day, super group of people who love the hobby and always keen to help promote it.

I will add more information as its needed, but we have the essential ingredients for another brilliant MDF event. We are not just a detecting forum, we are also a "family" who look after each other. Any queries just post them up, Liam :;@ Chief event slave

Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Wardie94

Re: Want to learn all about detecting? Newbies (and others) Training Day Spring 2020

Post by Wardie94 »

You forgot to add my name as Liam’s right hand man 😂 but hope it will be a brilliant day if you need maps sorting for the farm or help let me know Liam, just to let people know the farm is about 160 acre.. won’t go into to much details about what I’ve found there but it’s a good one 👀 hope many people can attend and learn something new
100+ Georgian penny’s
37 hammered coins
3 milled
2 roman
1 gold posy ring
Nox 800
At pro + gold
Ace 200i
Market rasen based

liamnolan

Re: Want to learn all about detecting? Newbies (and others) Training Day Spring 2020

Post by liamnolan »

thanks Wardie, I am sure there will be people wanting to know about the area, lovely part of the Lincolnshire Wolds, Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Machinist

Post by Machinist »

Hi Liam, please amend me to definite. ::g

Looking forward to catching up with old detecting acquaintances and meeting new.

Ray
It's all the Headless Hunters fault !!

Member of South Yorkshire MDC

AndreRitter

Post by AndreRitter »

Liam thats me off the list please as I work Sundays. Thank you.

Wardie94

Post by Wardie94 »

Official map of the site roughly 160 acres 2 public footpaths, close proximity to Tealby, also an old mill in one of the fields next to the river, plenty of era of ages, never had club digs or rallies, I myself have detected it and found a mixed array of items, several hammered coins, Georgian coins, lead seals and I believe the chap who used to come had found Roman coins.. oh I also found a cannon ball so it’s a good spot to have a look round and test out machines. Any questions please message myself, or Liam. I look forward to seeing you all and have a great day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
100+ Georgian penny’s
37 hammered coins
3 milled
2 roman
1 gold posy ring
Nox 800
At pro + gold
Ace 200i
Market rasen based

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis »

Missed the last one but will try like stink to make this one, Liam ::g
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan »

That would be absolutely brilliant ::g ::g Long haul for you though. My batman Ericus has qualified as a gin supplier and will be able to attend to your thirst .. -=+:-P
Liam

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis »

Hope he's got either a donkey or a strong back to deal with the weight ::g
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

Wardie94

Post by Wardie94 »

thefiggis wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:02 pm
Hope he's got either a donkey or a strong back to deal with the weight ::g
I’ll be the Carry boy keeping you hydrated 😂 be good to put faces to names of here I know that
100+ Georgian penny’s
37 hammered coins
3 milled
2 roman
1 gold posy ring
Nox 800
At pro + gold
Ace 200i
Market rasen based

Mega B

Post by Mega B »

Can bring a fair few detectors with me if folks want to try something out on the day,some everyday use detectors like Equinox/Deus etc and a few non everyday use ones like a couple Pulse/Nexus or even a twin box.
A few machines that i use Nexus MP,Nexus SE,TDI Pro,Fisher TW-5 twin box,Equinox,Deus,T2,DFX,Arado120b,Mirage Pulse,Crossbow Pulse.

Wardie94

Post by Wardie94 »

Mega B wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:32 pm
Can bring a fair few detectors with me if folks want to try something out on the day,some everyday use detectors like Equinox/Deus etc and a few non everyday use ones like a couple Pulse/Nexus or even a twin box.
Would be brilliant as where going to do a depth test area which will be marked of where people can listen to different tones and depths 👌
100+ Georgian penny’s
37 hammered coins
3 milled
2 roman
1 gold posy ring
Nox 800
At pro + gold
Ace 200i
Market rasen based

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

liamnolan wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:58 pm
That would be absolutely brilliant ::g ::g Long haul for you though. My batman Ericus has qualified as a gin supplier and will be able to attend to your thirst .. -=+:-P
Liam
Question: Will the usual three crates of Gordon's be sufficient for 'thefiggis' 8-| :D
A disservice is no service at all.

Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Looks like it'll be an enjoyable event, bit too much of a trek for me down on the south coast so I won't be able to come along, I hope it goes as smoothly as the charity rally that you put on in sussex recently Liam, I didn't find much but I enjoyed the day and can't fault the organisation at all.

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan »

Thanks Jamesey, its good to run the events in different parts of the UK, so this is a good chance for those new to detecting and those not new but wanting to learn more, to meet up, tuition in the morning and then onto a lot of really promising land.
All in Roman Lincolnshire, 9th Legion countryside .. Liam :;@

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan »

Just back from a recce of the land and facilities with Wardie. Everything looks really impressive, the land is wrapped around the farm buildings for the afternoon and a LOT of it, plus plenty of local history everywhere. The attractive village hall is right in the middle of Tealby, good car parking, village shop in the car park, super facilities so we can get our food and refreshments sorted out there before heading over to the afternoons land for detecting.
Liam :;@

Wardie94

Re: Want to learn all about detecting? Newbies (and others) Training/Detecting 2nd Feb 2020

Post by Wardie94 »

Hi all, camping is available to those who would want to, can bring caravans but they’d have to be solar panelled because there isn’t any electric to the grass paddock 👌
100+ Georgian penny’s
37 hammered coins
3 milled
2 roman
1 gold posy ring
Nox 800
At pro + gold
Ace 200i
Market rasen based

Hofling

Re: Want to learn all about detecting? Newbies (and others) Training/Detecting 2nd Feb 2020

Post by Hofling »

Hi Liam,

really looking forward to this event. I can take the opportunity to visit Lincoln, I have never been there!.

Me and my daughter, would be really nice.

Please give us details once you have it.

Christian.

Skytriker

Post by Skytriker »

Please add me as a definite, if I’m not too late, Liam.
The harder I try the luckier I get.

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan »

A pleasure Roy, delighted to have you on board ::g Liam :;@

Elbasstardo

Post by Elbasstardo »

But me down as a definite possibly maybe with a plus one
Garrett ace 250
Garrett propointer AT

Hofling

Post by Hofling »

Hi Liam,

put me as definite with my 8yo daughter.

Christian.

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan »

Elbasstardo wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:42 pm
But me down as a definite possibly maybe with a plus onewith a plus one

"definite possibly maybe with a plus one" ?? Liam :-/

Wardie94

Post by Wardie94 »

liamnolan wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:09 pm
Elbasstardo wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:42 pm
But me down as a definite possibly maybe with a plus onewith a plus one

"definite possibly maybe with a plus one" ?? Liam :-/
Think they meant yes to themselves but might have a plus one with them .. think that’s how I’ve read it 😂
100+ Georgian penny’s
37 hammered coins
3 milled
2 roman
1 gold posy ring
Nox 800
At pro + gold
Ace 200i
Market rasen based

Elbasstardo

Post by Elbasstardo »

Punctuation is a wonderful thing. I'll be there, maybe with a plus one!
Garrett ace 250
Garrett propointer AT

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan »

Thanks, if you can change the Maybe into a Yes then that would be good, we need to confirm numbers in advance, Liam

Chrisw

Post by Chrisw »

Hi Liam hope there`s room for me to join list live in Hull so not too far for me ,

Cheers Chris

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan »

Will do Chris, good to have you on board, Liam :;@

Wardie94

Post by Wardie94 »

Must be racking up members now Liam
100+ Georgian penny’s
37 hammered coins
3 milled
2 roman
1 gold posy ring
Nox 800
At pro + gold
Ace 200i
Market rasen based

Cha62

Post by Cha62 »

Hi Liam,
Can you take my name off the list ,unfortunately i don,t get back from Spain until after this date.
Such a shame as it.s less than 20 miles from where i will be and sounds like a great event.Hope you all have a great time and hopefully i can attend other rallies during the year.

Cheers Cris.

Return to “Rallies Forum”