Metal Detecting Forum Dig 2011

Please post any metal detecting Events or Rallies here.
warwickshire-man

Re: Metal Detecting Forum Dig 2010

Post by warwickshire-man » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:51 pm

liamnolan wrote:All we need is a field, agreed date and around 6 people. Thats all thats essential. We can bring the niceties such as food and drink and any other equipment. We could probably all troop off to the local pub for lunch anyway.
So, who has access to a nice ploughed/rolled field that we can use for the day?
Is there a farmer who has a really interesting field that would be willing to accept a few bob for the privilege of having lots of footprints on his land?
I would love to meet up with other GMP users and chat about different settings and I am sure machines owners would also like to exchange info, maybe even bring along a few finds.
If it hammered down we could retreat to the pub.
Can we draw up a list of who is interested at least? There may be lots of people interested and watching in, but as they have not posted anything, we do not know that!
ANYONE interested, lets hear from you. If some people are a bit hesitant about posting their support, just send me a PM or email me and I will keep you updated that way, Liam
hi lads count me in im up for it regards from marcus

warwickshire-man

Post by warwickshire-man » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:21 am

liamnolan wrote:Things are shaping up nicely at last, lots of interest, some offers of land that I am ploughing through (ha ha) and then we need to agree a date.
The land offers are Midlands and above so far. I am off tomorrow or Friday to have a look at a place in Sleaford, Lincs as it sounds quite good. The date is important as it has to work in with the ploughing cycle. Another place is in Cheshire. Thanks for the interest so far, Liam
the midlands has had some good finds big hoards ive done some fields in northamptonshire did not come away empty handed but my pockets were not bullging with coins i got 1 silver hamered and 1bronze roman in the same field but no hoards as yet but its a start lol B-) B-)

warwickshire-man

Post by warwickshire-man » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:39 am

black_Crayon wrote:axon your from LINCOLN lol ive been walkin round town centre all day today after my collage interview, i make a trip to lincoln almost everyday to go gym.

lewis.
ive got a money saving tip for the guy who goes to the gym buy yourself a whites eagle spectrum and swing that all day lol it works B-)

Ian

Post by Ian » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:47 pm

Anyone else help out with some land? :-/ :-w

Ian
DOH! Detecting Our History

Teknetics T2....you know it makes sense

Ian

Post by Ian » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:41 am

Liam any further developments or is it almost dead in the water?

Ian

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:55 pm

Hi Ian, I have sent a PM to someone who has offered the use of some land and will be chatting this through with him today hopefully. Within a few days I hope to be able to suggest a venue and date and we can then take it from there. It will not be a grand affair, just a meeting of forum members who want to get together for a days detecting ... and maybe a pint at the local, check in later, Liam
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

stargazer

Post by stargazer » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:53 am

Looking forward to this !
The mighty Minelab Etrac !

I'm UBIQUE! RE

furriner

Post by furriner » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:45 am

Liam

It's looking good! I've sent you a pm with some ideas. The main thing would be legal obligations if there is a crowd (not that we'd be having a rave). Nice drop of regular rain for a few days beforehand would certainly make life easier digging wise.
If we don't get land permission - how about a beach meet?

He's not the messiah - he's a very naughty boy

Adam_Hall

Post by Adam_Hall » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:51 am

If you need anything designing, I can help with that. Give me a shout if you would like help with anything.

Cheers
Adam
Cheers
Adam

Current: Minelab E-Trac

MDF August 2010 Find of the Month winner

Useful Tools etc

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html
http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk

Rasty

Post by Rasty » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:23 pm

I would love to go, (Rasty) a new member please let me know when it happens. Many thanx [:)

bryn81

Post by bryn81 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:26 pm

sounding promising :) where abouts are we all going to meet has it been decided yet??
E-Trac and Garrett Pro-Pointer

Ian

Post by Ian » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:42 am

I don't believe we have any land sorted yet, so not possible to arrange a meeting point :-/

Ian

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:26 pm

Right .... sorry for the delay, working hard down in Chiswick, right on the Thames, what a rich history the area has!
One of the forum members - Axon - suggested a place near Sleaford and kindly sent me a Google Earth of the location. Almost next door to a medieval church, at a crossroads between two main roads, surrounding irregular fields look like the remnants of a deserted village, pub not too far away, seems ample car parking.
I rang today and left a message, then rang this evening and chatted with the landowner.
he is agreeable in principle but is presently under enormous pressure to get in the crops whilst the weather holds good. I am off from here down to Torquay on Sat for some business and some detecting, then back to Norwich on Wednesday, so we have agreed that I will call him again on the Monday to arrange a visit to introduce myself and explain exactly what I THINK we need and to let him be assured that he is dealing with someone whose father was a farmer and who will respect his property.
Date? An ideal date in my diary is Sunday 26th September, seems to avoid the planned rallies elsewhere. However, we shall see what transpires.
So, a start to what I hope will be an enjoyable ramble around with our bleepers and a place nearby to have a few pints and share all our stories.
He seemed a bit careful about numbers who might come along and so if we have to limit numbers then those who have expressed an interest so far will be included first which is probably fair.
I will report back later on, Liam
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Ian

Post by Ian » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:30 pm

Well done matey, great positive step forward. and well done Mr. Axon for spotting the land.

Ian

Kmarsh

Post by Kmarsh » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:43 pm

I think you are an amazing fella Liam. wel done..
wal
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro.
Makro Racer.
Minelab Excalibur.

Axon

Post by Axon » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:53 pm

Ian wrote:Well done matey, great positive step forward. and well done Mr. Axon for spotting the land.

Ian
Your Welcome, anything to oblige, and as long as I am invited, there might be more where that came from..Axon

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:38 pm

Very well done on the land, sounds very interesting
Unfortunately its a bit to far for me to travel......
Hopefully you take cameras and share your day with us...
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

stargazer

Post by stargazer » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:01 am

Very well done to Liam and Axon ! :)

Although it's a bit of a journey, I should be able to make this one . I really hope the weather holds up for us.
The mighty Minelab Etrac !

I'm UBIQUE! RE

kangarooster

Post by kangarooster » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:43 am

Sounds great, well done guys, I'm looking forward to hearing more as you fine tune the details. I should be able to attend.

Regards

Tom

Jimbad007

Post by Jimbad007 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:01 pm

sounds like fun to me!

especially the pub part.

anywhere withing 100 miles of norwich and i'm there.

I'll keep an eye on the thread!
Mike

Just waiting for that golden beep!

Fisher F75 and new Garrett Pro Pointer

1922 silver shilling
2 ha'penny
1 large musketball
2 small musketball
1 silver ring
1 Roman lead weight
1 1300 - 1500 copper alloy strap end

Ian

Post by Ian » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:13 pm

Hopefully there should be more news on this tomorrow evening.

Watch this space B-)

Ian

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:19 am

Hi all - Ian and I met up at the cafe on the roundabout near Sleaford. We got there early, sat down and then 20 mins later phoned each other to see where the other person was! He was in the Burger King on one side of the rounabout and I was in the MacDonalds on the other side! Ooops!
We had a good natter about what we wanted for the Forum Dig and headed over to see the farmer. Ian had armed us with two bottles of wine, so we felt confident that we would at least be made welcome and hopefully come away with a promising field for our use.
The welcome was there and we soon got chatting over a cup of tea (well done Ian as I know you don't drink tea) The fields were still under crop but that would soon sort itself out by the proposed date of 26th September. The problem that soon emerged was that the farmer was not that keen to have over 10 people on the property. He is a real gentleman, perhaps a rare breed these days and was used to having detectors on his fields and indeed rummaged around to show us some bits and pieces. Ian had done some nifty historical research on the land and had copies of maps and Google Earths to spread on the table. The farm was soon to be sold and he suggested that we contact another farmer down the road - Bones Farm - as he may be more able to accommodate the numbers we planned, but did not actually say we could not come back and discuss things further with him.
It took many calls that went unanswered and eventually I got through to the chaps. I attempted to explain what we wanted and the curt reply was "You have absolutely no chance whatsoever" It was not difficult to unravel this cryptic response and so we are back where we started. The Bones Farm is not as good anyway, so not too much lost.
So we still need a place. Ian and I will keep trying, have a few ideas, Liam

Kmarsh

Post by Kmarsh » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:22 pm

It seems to me that you both did the very best you could do to get a dig for everyone interested Liam.
well done, I think I can thank you both from all of us that wanted, and still do want a forum dig.

=D> =D>
wal
Makro Racer.
Minelab Excalibur.

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:13 pm

Thanks, all a matter of perseverence I expect. I have a squash match tonight with a chap who farms 2500 acres in Norfolk. He does not know it yet, but he will win convincingly and I will later on congratulate him on his surprising victory ... "and by the way, I've been meaning to have a chat about a hobby of mine"
In the meantime, anyone who has connections, let me know! Liam

russie

Post by russie » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:55 pm

i would be well interested,i havent anybody to go out with as ive just moved to a new area to live.iam dying to meet new friends to go detecting with within a 20 mile radius of where i live.i have a car so i can travel to meet anybody that would be willing to help me out,and i have never been to a rally,but i would love to go on a dig somewhere.

Kmarsh

Post by Kmarsh » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:51 pm

welcome russie, where are ya in uk. some one should be able to help ya out on here :)
Makro Racer.
Minelab Excalibur.

russie

Post by russie » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:02 pm

im very interested,im willing to travel a reasonable distance,i live in spalding,lincs.this is quiet central so it should,nt be too far away as long as its not down the south west somewhere.keep me informed please.

Ian

Post by Ian » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:26 pm

Russie
we struggled to get any land to hold a rally so it has been updated with another idea from Liam.

Have a look at this thread. Hope it helps.

OOPS! http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/vi ... =35&t=2727
Ian
Last edited by Ian on Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jayreef

Post by Jayreef » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:37 pm

why dont we all post up postcodes near us, and then we find a central location
UKDFD - The database for Detectorists - please upload your finds

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdff/index.php

Jayreef

Post by Jayreef » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:00 pm

LA9