Attending Rally's "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Please post any metal detecting Events or Rallies here.
oldartefact

Re: Attending Rally's "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Post by oldartefact » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:00 pm

What I would like to know is how many visits can a field take before its deemed unsuitable for Rally purposes...

Obviously there is no strict answer to this, but any field where it is known that the majority of tectorists wont get a signal is off limits for rally purposes

Or where it is known beforehand that the majority of tectorists will or not find an object than can be described as a find (ie. button coin or buckle), then this should be deemed unsuitable for rally purposes.

If organisers insiste on holding rallies on such sites then they should advertise the fact, it has been said that you "pays your money and take your chances", yes happy with this, apart from situations where there is no chance.

Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:09 pm

agree agree agree ...

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:35 pm

oldartefact wrote:And there was me thinking that I am the only one with any issues.. I posted a thread raising concerns about some rallies knowingly being organised on unsuitable land, and I received some unpleasant responses from a few organisers. I think that there is an attitude out there, that rally goers should be thankful there is a rally at all, never mind the fact its bang in the middle of Runway 2 at Heathrow...!!! B| B| B| ;;z ;;z ;;z
Not wishing to seem unpleasant but you have a choice....nobody holds a gun to your head!

So are you talking about "commercial" rallies or club digs?

The former come with elements of risk.......they take lots of planning and things may need to change at short notice......agriculture is governed by the weather. Organiser sometimes has to make tough choices.

Club digs are generally smaller....not for profit.....but the organiser can`t see into the ground!

Even "un-detected" fields can be devoid of signals!

We have visited a 70 acre field twice......... 21 on Dig 1.....17 on Dig 2. ....... both digs had lots of non-ferrous targets.....1 Republican Denari, 17 hammered, 2 early milled silver,tons of Viccy/Georgian coppers, crotals, lead etc etc etc.......... by my reckoning we could do that field 10 times before there is a notable drop off in signals.
Everything recordable has been bagged, 10 digit NGR on it and looks impressive in a tray..... but makes a very,very thin spread over 70 acres!
::g
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:56 pm

jcmaloney wrote:
oldartefact wrote:And there was me thinking that I am the only one with any issues.. I posted a thread raising concerns about some rallies knowingly being organised on unsuitable land, and I received some unpleasant responses from a few organisers. I think that there is an attitude out there, that rally goers should be thankful there is a rally at all, never mind the fact its bang in the middle of Runway 2 at Heathrow...!!! B| B| B| ;;z ;;z ;;z
Not wishing to seem unpleasant but you have a choice....nobody holds a gun to your head!

So are you talking about "commercial" rallies or club digs?

The former come with elements of risk.......they take lots of planning and things may need to change at short notice......agriculture is governed by the weather. Organiser sometimes has to make tough choices.

Club digs are generally smaller....not for profit.....but the organiser can`t see into the ground!

Even "un-detected" fields can be devoid of signals!

We have visited a 70 acre field twice......... 21 on Dig 1.....17 on Dig 2. ....... both digs had lots of non-ferrous targets.....1 Republican Denari, 17 hammered, 2 early milled silver,tons of Viccy/Georgian coppers, crotals, lead etc etc etc.......... by my reckoning we could do that field 10 times before there is a notable drop off in signals.
Everything recordable has been bagged, 10 digit NGR on it and looks impressive in a tray..... but makes a very,very thin spread over 70 acres!
::g
Thanks for your post...
I am talking about club digs mainly, but the exact same applies to Commercial digs, particularly as alot of money can be at stake. For commercial rallies where large numbers of detectorists are involved the quality of the site must be paramount above all other considerations ... if one is paying £20-30 then one expects to find coins, buckles, and buttons... if these are not forthcoming on a commercial rally then it has failed in the eyes of the majority of detectorists..
For club rallies i think that the bar is lower, and a more speculative approach can be taken, particularly with respect to new sites, where these are acquired for a relatively low cost, and profit isn't involved.
I agree that we have a choice, that said if you go lake fishing you expect fish to be in the lake, if you go river fishing you expect luck of the draw, and in both situations you realise that you are not assured of catching anything.. but if you went fishing to a lake you wouldnt bother getting your gear out if there were no fish in it, and if after the days fishing you discovered you had been fishing an empty pond then you would rightly feel dischuffed and short changed.
MD is no different ... detecting a new piece of land is akin to fishing a river, there might be nowt, hey ho.. but detecting a previously detected site is akin to fishing a lake... its known beforehand whats in it or likely to be in it...
I think that the point at which there is a noticeable drop off, and detectorists start complaining about lack of finds ... is the time to close down the field ... until conditions change (such as deep ploughing).

lord lovell

Post by lord lovell » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:13 pm

you could look at it from a diffrent angle a pre detected rally site could be better as most of larger and junk finds will be removed making it yes quiter but better finds to be had

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:47 pm

Commercial organiser goes to Farmer Smith.
"Hello Farmer Smith..... I can get 500 folks to detect your xxxx acres/fields near the Roman road and upto the DMV....we will pay you £10 a head.....
Farmer Smith glazes over and thinks "£5,000 tax free for now`t.......
Organiser sells tickets at £20 .... £5k "profit".
"Has anyone detected here before?".... Farmer Smith sees £5k dissolving......"Only a couple of old boys...never found anything that I saw"....
Organiser "sells" event as "Being near Roman Road, near DMV, barely detected"......punters roll in.

See how easy it becomes once £££`s is involved ????
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:28 pm

lord lovell wrote:you could look at it from a diffrent angle a pre detected rally site could be better as most of larger and junk finds will be removed making it yes quiter but better finds to be had
But the point is how many times has it been pre-detected 10, 20, 30, 40!!!! It happens... and by the 30th visit nowt emerges .... all very predictable

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:30 pm

jcmaloney wrote:Commercial organiser goes to Farmer Smith.
"Hello Farmer Smith..... I can get 500 folks to detect your xxxx acres/fields near the Roman road and upto the DMV....we will pay you £10 a head.....
Farmer Smith glazes over and thinks "£5,000 tax free for now`t.......
Organiser sells tickets at £20 .... £5k "profit".
"Has anyone detected here before?".... Farmer Smith sees £5k dissolving......"Only a couple of old boys...never found anything that I saw"....
Organiser "sells" event as "Being near Roman Road, near DMV, barely detected"......punters roll in.

See how easy it becomes once £££`s is involved ????
Something is BADLY BROKEN here - where are trading standards???? and the tax-man come to that!!! We're continually told "ohh there is so much work in organising a rally" but for £5K most people have to work solid for 2-3months!! so are we being told that 2-3months work is involved in organising rallies... I think not... I know not!!!!

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:29 am

I think I have established you don`t like Rallies.

If (big if) it was THAT easy there would be lots of them.........there aren`t.

Trust me I done one "weekender" and I would never,ever,ever do it again..... and that was for Charity...we published full accounts to the Rotary Club.

Having watched Richard from CS having to clean the s**t off the walls of a Portaloo that some animal had smeared on there then anyone who makes the effort deserves the reward.

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:30 am

Actually I love rallies... but obviously they can sometimes get too big...
If there is a commercial rally creaming in £5k to the organiser, then the organiser is being paid enough to hire professional loo cleaning contractors, whoi are paid and know how to deal with the animalistic element of human society.
Its reprehensible that people should act like animals, but then its equally baffling why professional agents aren't hired to clean up the mess.
if I've missed anything obvious apologies to all concerned.

timesearch

Post by timesearch » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:41 am

I've just come across this thread and I've always wondered about some of these rallies. I've been to about three or four when I first started detecting years ago and they made me very suspicious. I'm six feet tall and use my detector fully extended, which probably gives me a sweep of roughly the same length, but in a field which disappears into the distance it would take me a lifetime to cover it. as was mentioned earlier in this thread there are always the people who bring along finds which to me is senseless. Then there are the people who always seem to have found something by lunchtime when everyone else is blanking. At the end of the day we're all relying on basically the same technology in various forms, so anyone with a half decent detector is just as likely to find as anyone else if they happen to walk over the right spot.

I've been thinking of possibly attending a couple of rallies this year to get me out onto arable land, as most of my detecting has been done on pasture, in parks and as part of my job, but although £15 isn't bad for a day spent doing something you enjoy, the fuel costs soon push up the cost of attending rallies outside of your immediate area. I was warned about the people who bring finds along years ago, so now I just ignore a lot of the finds stories, especially when everyone is moaning at lunchtime they haven't found anything, only to have someone who happens to be a friend of the organiser appear with star finds.

The club route also seems to be drying up as more people take up the hobby, with memberships full, so less opportunities for people to get out and about, not that I was that impressed when I did briefly join a club some years ago. Sitting in a freezing village hall discussing what others had, or possibly hadn't, found wasn't my idea of fun.

I enjoy the uncertainty of the hobby, because anything can turn up anywhere, but I'm not really a social animal, preferring to be out on site by myself, or with one other person, than in a field with dozens of others, so I might still give the rallies a miss unless someone organises one I can get to without driving miles to get there.

targets

Post by targets » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:04 am

they used to years ago give away a free machine for find of the rally so thats when the planting of finds started ,then it became a habit for some people
' hammys how i love ya, how i love ya my dear old hammys '

saxman

Post by saxman » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:44 am

At the very start of detecting prior to getting a decent permission I went to rally with my dad, we hated it. It was all about belting around and showing off your ego. Some people were really pleasant, dad did comment on how much 'double camouflage' he could see hahahaha.

After that I made it my mission to find some decent permissions and have done reasonable well, I now decide to invite a handful of people onto my permissions depending in their location and circumstances, call it a pay back and good karma!

Looking forward to my favourite spot being deep ploughed and rolled.....

Happy hunting guys

Saxman
Deus large and small coil, shovel and stuff!

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:57 pm

saxman wrote:At the very start of detecting prior to getting a decent permission I went to rally with my dad, we hated it. It was all about belting around and showing off your ego. Some people were really pleasant, dad did comment on how much 'double camouflage' he could see hahahaha.

After that I made it my mission to find some decent permissions and have done reasonable well, I now decide to invite a handful of people onto my permissions depending in their location and circumstances, call it a pay back and good karma!

Looking forward to my favourite spot being deep ploughed and rolled.....

Happy hunting guys

Saxman
Join a well respected club ie. one which mentions the town it represents... get to know the members ... avoid commercial rallies at all costs ... and after you get to know the members your views may change!!

f8met

Post by f8met » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:45 pm

I have 2 clubs local to me that organise pay and play digs. One seems to go to the same sites over and over again, promising lots. Some seem to find stuff, I rarely find even buttons. The other club has less often digs and some nice stuff does come up.

I do wonder on the integrity of the organisers sometimes as I know there was a hoard found on one dig, a small number of gold coins, that were not declared. As they were found by 3 different people, they seemed to ignore it. I also wonder how many follow the guidelines of organising rallies in notifying the local FLOs so stuff can be recorded. On all of the pay digs I have been on, no-one has ever asked me what I have found or asked me to record it.

I have also noticed that when there are scrap bins you can often find nice buttons and stuff in them that, unless it is silver and round, people are not interested. I have picked out some nice buttons that some don't have any interest in.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2019 22 Hammered
Hit my 200th hammered!

locator

Post by locator » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:39 pm

I am a newbie and I thought your posting was excellent & covered most of the questions that personally would have asked with regard to Rallys

lordofthecoils

Post by lordofthecoils » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:15 pm

in the case of the bring along cheats, Its very simple ,do not have prises for natural finds , i was on a rally in the eighties which they used numbered tokens ,the corisponding numbered tokens were all put in a tumbler at the end and the prises were given to the numbers picked from the tumbler,you cant get fairer than that ::g
the top prise was a thousand pounds ,it just so happened i had the same token number as the one picked number 749 .......result :)) ::g ::g ::g
ps.... in the searcher april edition 1987

miss a lot

Post by miss a lot » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:41 pm

when i first came on this forum i asked about rallys that run for a weekend , because im from northern ireland and the cost of going to one for one day is way to much .its hard to meet people
with the same hobby over here we have no clubs and no rallys , i have been reading the posts and it has put me right off , i thought rallys were a good place to meet and pass on help to newbys like me
todate i have met 9 people that detect , 3 of them were spot on and i was good to meet them the other ones , well not going there . in england you have some fantastic finds , what mite seem
like a every day find and not much would blow my socks off and i would piss my pants (sorry )
it was one of the things i want to do so much was to go to a rally in england , by the time i pay the boat, fuel, fee , and other stuff , and then find out that the fields had been cleared ,,,,,,, ruck me
not good .... i know all rallys are not the same and your not guaranteed to find stuff ,but more chance to find stuff if its still there ,,,,,,, ( forgive the spelling)

i think i will get ripped to bits about this post

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:11 am

Just getting ready to pack for the Ilketshall Rally about an hours drive from me here in Norwich. I am not really a Rally Person but they can be a very good way to socialise and fill your boots with a days detecting on good ground, plus raise money for charity. We had two irish members travel across for the 2014 Forum Dig, one from the south and one from the north, both really enjoyed themselves, check out that topic. We had a few spare places in the end!
There has been an increase in commercially driven rallies, paying farmers a lot of money and then ove filling the land with too many ralliers but by and large they are run sensibly. Good luck, Liam
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:38 pm

miss a lot wrote:when i first came on this forum i asked about rallys that run for a weekend , because im from northern ireland and the cost of going to one for one day is way to much .its hard to meet people
with the same hobby over here we have no clubs and no rallys , i have been reading the posts and it has put me right off , i thought rallys were a good place to meet and pass on help to newbys like me
todate i have met 9 people that detect , 3 of them were spot on and i was good to meet them the other ones , well not going there . in england you have some fantastic finds , what mite seem
like a every day find and not much would blow my socks off and i would piss my pants (sorry )
it was one of the things i want to do so much was to go to a rally in england , by the time i pay the boat, fuel, fee , and other stuff , and then find out that the fields had been cleared ,,,,,,, ruck me
not good .... i know all rallys are not the same and your not guaranteed to find stuff ,but more chance to find stuff if its still there ,,,,,,, ( forgive the spelling)

Well i went to the Museum of ireland in dublin ... and the place is stacked with irish artefacts that are all completely stunning!!!

JBM

Post by JBM » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:52 pm

Look on a Rally as a detectorists pilgrimage to meet others of like mind.

Any finds are a bonus. ;) :) Jerry.

Oldest Swinger

Post by Oldest Swinger » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:12 am

JBM wrote:Look on a Rally as a detectorists pilgrimage to meet others of like mind.

Any finds are a bonus. ;) :) Jerry.
Well said let's remember rallies are the only chance some get to detect and a lot of the comments on here would put some off rallies for life. I would say take anything told by the orgganisers with a pinch of salt, make the social and any learning side of things the priority and make finds a bonus. This way you will meet many new and old friends, learn a little, enjoy a nice day out in the countryside and hopefully get the opertunity as a bonus to find things you mite not normally expect. Never go to a rally thinking the land is going to be littered with gold or hammered as you will be dissapointed in the majority of cases. Just take it as a light hearted day out

Keep it low keep it slow

Paul

Ps the comment regarding car share a very good one
DEUS

I may be slow but can still get to my knees for the glint of gold

miss a lot

Post by miss a lot » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:32 pm

oldartefact wrote:
miss a lot wrote:when i first came on this forum i asked about rallys that run for a weekend , because im from northern ireland and the cost of going to one for one day is way to much .its hard to meet people

Well i went to the Museum of ireland in dublin ... and the place is stacked with irish artefacts that are all completely stunning!!!
im sure there is but Ireland is a no no now all the new rules and im in the north , they would eat me if the they caught me lol
I was looking to go to rallys to pick peoples heads and see other detectors and how they work
and if I found something that would be the icing on the cake,

Sportsman

Post by Sportsman » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:24 pm

What i hate most about rallies is the word Undetected its cringeworthy. ;;z
Xp Deus.

My Lucky Underpants

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:35 pm

Doesn`t matter where you go there is ALWAYS someone who has "done it before". Its one of the unwritten rules! :))

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:59 pm

The Ferret wrote:
Sportsman wrote:What i hate most about rallies is the word Undetected its cringeworthy. ;;z
I second that ::g but how does one prove its undetected in first place :-/ .

If a land owners says its been undetected. But they can only vouch since they owned that land, who knows what happened before then :-O

It dont rearly bother me if its been done or not. Just like you hate that "selling punt" undetected ;;z
No proof just hearsay i say.

If they know that some one has had a coil over the soil then that should always be mentioned in any adverts of rallies and digs... ::g
TF
Appreciate what you are saying ... but there definitely is some land out there that is genuinely undetected, as some land has been in family hands for generations, and the older farmers would remember if its been detected before ,,, so long has their brain hasn't been fried with too much cider!!! <:-P <:-P <:-P

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:14 pm

ha ha I mentioned some land on an estate that I detect on, to a chap at our club. "Oh that place? Never found much on there myself" I then told him that the titled landowner had never allowed any detecting on the 1600 acres. His solicitors had a three page agreement drawn up beforehand for me to sign and even now its very securely controlled. So this chap then had to say that he was either mistaken or had been on there illegally. He opted for being mistaken. As JC says, there is always someone who says he has already been on any land, Liam ::g
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:03 am

The Ferret wrote:Off out tomorrow on a rally, its had a club on there before so im told but will vote with my feet and still go. Least we know before hand ::g
For some clubs its normal practice to revisit the same field time and time and time again, until finds are so depleted that the field is barren. So lets hope that the club/s before you only did the field no more than a few times!!!! Good luck.

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:00 am

With the 2018 rally season in full swing, new members may not have seen this topic.

Make sure you research any digs you are thinking of going on, do a search for the organisers on past events and see people’s feedback. Also don’t forget to question events if they are unclear on the land, facilities or where the money is going.

Most of all have a good time.

Been some price increases since I wrote this back in 2013, single day digs are normally £20 and a Rally is about £50, cheaper the further north you go for some reason :-/

My 2018 tip, be wary of the word ‘undetected’ :))

These are my views as a detectorist and not of a moderator ::g

Dave ):=
Minelab Equinox 800 : 15", 11" Coils
XP Deus V3.2 - WS5 : 9" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:36 am

Some people attend rallies for the social side of the hobby, others for a good meet up but also to get out on some land as they have no permissions. They want to use their machines and find something, so although they will enjoy the banter and making friends, swapping war stories etc they deserve a fighting chance of coming off the fields with some coins and other finds. Some commercial outfits will use the same land over and over again and they get away with it as our hobby has a fast turnover, newcomers appearing all the time with no land and so for them the rallies are their only way to detect.They know nothing else, cannot get into a club and they are tired of seeking a permission.
As Dave says, enjoy yourselves but have your eyes open as regards the land. There are some brilliant small rallies that provide excellent land and facilities and many have been on the go for 30+ years, supporting local charities.
Good luck to all, Liam ::g

Return to “Rallies Forum”