Re: East Sussex Charity Dig - 4th September NOW FULL

Please post any metal detecting Events or Rallies here.
liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan »

This is aimed at MDF members who live around the Lewes area or thereabouts. I have agreed with a landowner to organise a small charity detecting day in support of Hamsey Old Church. I have organised several such events over the years, always good fun and have three in the pipeline up in Norfolk where I am based. My daughter got married in Hamsey Old Church, hence the connection!
The land is approx 40 acres and is spread around a large estate house that has connections to the Battle of Lewes. I took a walk through the grounds and the landowner pointed out ancient pathways and says as kids they found armour that is now in the museum, plus its where the cavalry were garrisoned during the battle. We were joined by a local historian who is very enthusiastic about the possibility of any finds appearing from that era. She also mentioned that when we were detecting, could we keep a look out for a roman villa that she is sure is somewhere around the same place?
The land is pasture and woodland mostly and a bit of a warren but looks promising and has never been detected upon. Could those interested in this Sunday 10am to 4.30pm event please email me on [email protected] and I will send more information. Don't send me any PM's.
Preference will be given to MDF members living in Sussex so please mention your location.The cost for the day will be £12 and payments will be made direct into the church fund. Every penny raised will go to the charity.
I am presently sorting out the estate map and unfortunately there are no X's marked "dig here" but those attending will be sent exact location so that they can do a bit of research themselves.
I expect to limit numbers to just 40 people so that there is plenty of ground to detect on, include your MDF username with real name please when contacting, Liam :;@
9 on list so far ...

Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

kopparberg

Re: East Sussex Charity Dig - 4th September 2016

Post by kopparberg »

sounds like it will be a great event Liam .and i would think you would not have a shortage of members wishing to go .it will certainly be a well run event .good luck to everyone that goes ::g .its been so long since i have been out i wouldn't know what way up to use the detector lol
CTX 3030
DEUS
MAKRO pro pointer
always live for today and worry about tomorrow when it comes

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan »

Now up to 18 ... this is ideal for detectorists of all ages and abilities, nothing too serious though the land looks very promising, emphasis on enjoyment and meeting up with others from the same area. I may be begging for the odd run out later on myself when I visit Lewes! Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan »

Names so far ..

1. Andy Aitken
2. Simon Brown
3. Fred Cooper
4. David Westwater
5. Rick Francis
6. Simon Redfern
7. Simon Read
8. Ed Howard – snuzz
9. Ashley Tyler
10. Adrian Ball
11. Leon Huchison
12. Chris Gummer
13. Connor Graham
14. David Nortcliff
15. Ian Barnes
16. Peter Smith
17. David Lange
18. Julie Coombes

Liam :;@

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan »

We may need to plan for a post-event meeting at the Blacksmiths Arms afterwards ... http://theblacksmithsarms-offham.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; so that we can recap on the day and hopefully plan for another event in the future. :d! I will be sending out proper info very soon, we still need some more local detectorists, young or old to support this very worthy charity, the restoration of Hamsey Old Church http://www.sussexparishchurches.org/spc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... y-st-peter and check out the local history - http://www.battlefieldstrust.com/resour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... FieldId=22 and we are right in the middle of where the sprawling battle rolled out, cavalry assembled here at least as that is recorded.
Deep settings for pasture may be useful and perhaps iron should NOT be discriminated out as remnants of weapons and armour may lie waiting to be found. Liam ::g

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan »

Now up to 23 ... 17 spaces left, spread the word to all those Sussex detectorists, Liam OooO

1. Andy Aitken
2. Simon Brown
3. Fred Cooper
4. David Westwater
5. Rick Francis
6. Simon Redfern
7. Simon Read
8. Ed Howard
9. Ashley Tyler
10. Adrian Ball
11. Leon Huchison
12. Chris Gummer
13. Connor Graham
14. David Nortcliff
15. Ian Barnes
16. Peter Smith
17. David Lange Seaford
18. Julie Coombes Worthing
19. Paul Dunning
20. Martin Nugent
21. Keith Coomber
22. Lisa (the P) Curtis
23. James Blake

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan »

Plus ..
1. Evan Lewis
2. Dan Brampton
3. Graham Tomkins

Still a few spaces for local detectorists .... email [email protected] Liam ::g

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan »

Still some places left ... Liam ::g

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan »

We now have 42 people, mostly local so the list is now full. If I get any vacancies I will of course admit some more, best not to have a crowd, cheers, Liam OooO

rsalvi

Post by rsalvi »

Just realised the mail I sent didnt go out. I have resent it but now the list us full ,':(
please put me on the reserves list.

thanks

Roy

Julie116

Post by Julie116 »

Any times or post code yet as I need to arrange how I will get there - should be great :)

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan »

As stated, info sheet will be sent out asap, waiting for exact directions and confirmation of toilets, very close to Offham, Blacksmiths Arms a couple of mins away .. Liam ::g

Julie116

Post by Julie116 »

okay, thankyou, maybe look at staying at the blacksmith arms overnight as that is close by then if transport is a problem on the sunday.

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan »

Hi Julie, you apparently live 33 mins drive from Offham where the Dig will happen ... should be other people coming from West Sussex, Liam ::g
You will have a message to read in your MDF Inbox.

Julie116

Post by Julie116 »

Yes, Thankyou, I have been very kindly offered a lift.

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan »

Just a little note to say that I have now received full direction info and other bits for this event on Sunday and so I will be sending out a little message to each person on the list tomorrow morning, sorry for the delay, wanted to make sure where we had to assemble, toilet facilities bank account details and so on, cheers, Liam

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan »

Hi all, I have now sent out the info sheet for this event. If you are on the list but not received the info, please email me on [email protected] Cheers, Liam OooO

Redmarrow10

Post by Redmarrow10 »

Good evening

Any more info on Sundays dig?

thanks

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan »

Redmarrow10 wrote:Good evening

Any more info on Sundays dig?

thanks
All info sent out to those on the list, if you have already applied and have been overlooked then please email me, Liam OooO

Scubakeefy

Post by Scubakeefy »

Morning all. Me and my partner Lisa attended yesterday and what a cracking day out it was. Neither of us found anything of note but it didn't matter! We met loads of nice people, had lots of chats and as the weather was spot on, it was a great way to spend the day. We also met and chatted to the land owners, a Lord and lady and their son no less, who were fascinated at what might and did come up from their land. Butties and brews were supplied by the lovely Tamsyn which topped off the day too. Some coins were found I saw at the impromptu finds table at the end as well as all sorts of odds and sods like shrapnel and bullets.
So, thank you Liam for organising such a great day out, Lisa and I hope we can make the possible next one you mentioned.
After doing one miserable day at Compton the week before, yesterday rekindled my belief in rallies, as these invited, small and friendly charity digs are certainly the way to go. Sadly, won't be rushing back to Compton or similar anytime soon as being suspicious by nature and job, I did leave last week wondering If it was really legit when the finds came rolling in! It was the total opposite yesterday. Brilliant.
Cheers mate, see you soon.

scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo »

Skubakeefy well stated with regards to the meet yesterday.

Big thank you to Liam and Tamsyn for all your efforts keeping the troops fed and full of tea,

It was pleasnat to meet some new faces to the hobby as well as some of the seasoned pro's. A great setting with weather to make it a perfect day.

Scooby....
Minelab Etrac
W3 headphones
Chef-Phones
Ultimate 13" DD Coil
Garrett Probe.
Piranha Model 35 Lesche Digging Weapon....
FID Member

Saffron

Post by Saffron »

Fully agree with all the comments by Skubakeefy and Scoobydoo.

Very many thanks to Liam for organising and Tamsyn for providing the food supplies. I purchased the booklet about Hamsey church and it was a fascinating read so I hope that the dig raised a nice little sum for the church.

The finds were a bit limited but that happens sometimes with this hobby, but more importantly it was a nice friendly event and chance to meet fellow forum members - also stayed dry without being too hot which always helps.

Really nice to see how enthusiastic the landowners were as well.

Bilbo also made new friends and enjoyed the fuss several people made of him!!.

Evan

Mega B

Post by Mega B »

Must admit it was a rather enjoyable day,total round trip was just over 300,so not local in any way,very well organised and although nothing major finds wise,as i undertsand it i think we have been invited back again by the land owners.

Liam and the tea lady,many many thanks for a great all round days detecting in a lovely location,weather was also good to us as well.
A few machines that i use Nexus MP,Nexus SE,TDI Pro,Fisher TW-5 twin box,Equinox,Deus,T2,DFX,Arado120b,Mirage Pulse,Crossbow Pulse.

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan »

Thanks Rick, lovely day all round and I am now informed by my daughter Tamsyn that you all managed to raise a total of £672, so WELL DONE!! OooO
There will be other events to come along, just busy organising our own Club Digs at present.
If anyone has some photos that they could send me, on [email protected] that would be well received for their website and to unlock more land for future Digs, Liam ::g

Mega B

Post by Mega B »

WoW Liam,that is a stunning amount raised,very well done all those that came and donated ::g

Will certain be going on the next charity dig,thanks again for organising it all.
A few machines that i use Nexus MP,Nexus SE,TDI Pro,Fisher TW-5 twin box,Equinox,Deus,T2,DFX,Arado120b,Mirage Pulse,Crossbow Pulse.

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan »

Thanks, we have had a slight set back in that the Hamsey Old Church has had an overnight visit from some nighthawks who have left gaping holes in the actual graveyard. We all get tarred with the same brush I am afraid, so I will let all that die down for now. The police have been informed and they are investigating. These night thieves are amongst our own groups probably and so I ask anyone who may know who they are, to report them, they will eventually brag about what they are doing, the hobby can do without them, Liam :(

scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo »

Well done everyone for the money raised, great effort.

As for the other news liam, well unable to say what i think on forum B| B| .

I just hope they eventually get caught.

Scooby....
Minelab Etrac
W3 headphones
Chef-Phones
Ultimate 13" DD Coil
Garrett Probe.
Piranha Model 35 Lesche Digging Weapon....
FID Member

Saffron

Post by Saffron »

Very well done to yourself and Tamsyn for the work and effort you both put into this and the resulting total that was raised for the church. Although I did not find anything I was more than happy to contribute to that total, especially for the morning bacon butty - cheers Tamsyn.

Although I had read about the church on the internet I purchased a guide to it from Tamsyn and it was a good read about the fascinating history of the church, including the narrow escape it had from the Victorians tearing it down!.

To now hear that all the genuine detectorists have been let down by one or two raiding the church yard like that makes you wonder what type of people they are. Hopefully they are soon caught and receive a suitable fine - sadly no chance of a prison sentence that I would really like to see in this situation.

Evan

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

Well done to Liam and Tamsyn on what was obviously a well organised and equally well executed event ::g Unfortunately I was unable to attend :( (house hunting in Lincs, Norfolk and N Suffolk)

The news regarding the 'Night-Hawking' activity within the consecrated grounds of
Hamsey Old Church, was a huge shock! Such actions just beggars belief B|.
It seems there is no level that these individuals will not stoop to! Regarsd ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Return to “Rallies Forum”