2017 MDF Forum Dig - SPACES STILL LEFT!

Please post any metal detecting Events or Rallies here.
Phil2401

Re: 2017 International MDF Forum Dig & ECMD Conference

Post by Phil2401 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:19 pm

Which pub are we talking about? As previously posted, we'll need to book in advance for an evening meal, particularly for the Friday or Saturday night, or settle for fish n chips or curry around a camp fire in the evenings. Either sounds good to me :)

As for breakfasts for campers, you caravan and camper van folks will presumably have your own arrangements but I'm bringing a large gas fired flat top griddle that will cook maybe 20 sausages / bacon rashers at a time - just bring whatever you want to fry up, or get it on the way from a local farm shop.

Phil
Rutus Alter 71
Deus Lite
Deeptech Vista Warrior
Garrett Pro Pointer

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:28 pm

Phil2401 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:19 pm
Which pub are we talking about? As previously posted, we'll need to book in advance for an evening meal, particularly for the Friday or Saturday night, or settle for fish n chips or curry around a camp fire in the evenings. Either sounds good to me :)

As for breakfasts for campers, you caravan and camper van folks will presumably have your own arrangements but I'm bringing a large gas fired flat top griddle that will cook maybe 20 sausages / bacon rashers at a time - just bring whatever you want to fry up, or get it on the way from a local farm shop.

Phil
Great offer Phil ::g ::g ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Danzigman

Post by Danzigman » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:02 pm

Ollie K wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:57 pm
Danzigman wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:48 pm
Ollie K wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:38 pm
I'm definitely up for the pub on the Sat night- say 6.30??
You go for the breakfast B-) I will consider 18:30 :D
Yeah the clue is in the word 'night'! ;) Haha, I could be tempted by a morning visit though.. :D
Im sure some will se the sunrise.. The trick is to "behave" and administer the fluid consumption.. And here I do not think at Rain.. ):=
XP DEUS. GPP VII. GARMIN etrex 20.
http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/Danzigman/library/

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:08 pm

Danzigman wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:02 pm
Ollie K wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:57 pm
Danzigman wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:48 pm

You go for the breakfast B-) I will consider 18:30 :D
Yeah the clue is in the word 'night'! ;) Haha, I could be tempted by a morning visit though.. :D
Im sure some will se the sunrise.. The trick is to "behave" and administer the fluid consumption.. And here I do not think at Rain.. ):=
Personally I'm always in bed by 10 p.m., drunk or not. You younger folks may see the sunrise and still be able to swing a detector early the next day, but not me!
Rutus Alter 71
Deus Lite
Deeptech Vista Warrior
Garrett Pro Pointer

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:14 pm

yummy .. i can only vouch for The Fox re the meals as thats the one I visited and all looked great and they are looking forward to receiving some table bookings in advance as they are always busy.
I hope to get to the Fox on Friday evening and wobble back to the "Base Camp" afterwards, then somehow appear next morning at the Maids Head hotel for Day 2 of the ECMD Conference looking sober, clean and well dressed. Always a first time for everything!
Most rallies follow the same pattern;
Morning arrival, fumbling through strange countryside, trusting in Sat Nav, then finding some sign along the verge, sharp bit of braking to annoy the car behind, sharp left/right and then trundle across some grassed area into a parking slot. Then its out of the car and nodding to others whose faces you hope you recognise but you don't. You grab your paperwork and wallet and walk up to the control tent, wait in line and then feel relieved when they find your name on the list. "Do you want some raffle tickets? £5.00 a go, great prizes" Of course you do!! (Our Laura will be there to sell those tickets .." Prizes include a Deus courtesy of XP.
Then its usually a case of getting all your detecting gear plastered on in the right places, checking that you have the phone, GPS, find bags, creams of all sorts, pen/paper for new friends, money, spare batteries, water, snack bars, mini microscope, plus other necessary accessories, all stored in the right pockets of the 87 pockets of the special military combat jacket you treasure, desperately hoping nobody else has also bought the same one ..
Then you set off with everyone else in all directions across fields and you think "Bugger, I forgot the map!"So you focus on getting your machine sorted out, right prog and GB and you swing that coil as if you know exactly where all those ancestors walked. Two hours later you are knackered and decide to drift back for a coffee and a chat with the others who have also knackered and are relieved to see others as tired and you all gather round the Finds Tent and check out the finds that are coming in.
At this stage of a normal rally, about 25% will suddenly remember that they have to be somewhere else, or the legs say "lets go home" or you have found very little and decide time is best spent on your own permission.
By lunchtime, the fields are much less crowded and people are moving more slowly, the coffee breaks get longer and you are delighted with that battered hammy in your pocket, a sign of detecting success and a badge of honour ::g
You enjoy the drive home, the hammy placed on the passenger seat so that you can gaze upon it with absolute love l;.

The MDF Rally will hopefully be a little different in that yes we will all arrive and maybe not know who is who, but as the day progresses people will chat with each other and have a few laughs and swap lots of tales and experiences, that you will have the wisdom to nip back to the car now and then for a quick snooze to recharge, that you will enjoy the company as much as the finds and that you will gradually feel part of a "MDF Family"
The evenings may be down the local pub or around a camp fire and a few cold tins but it will be time well spent and you will make new friends who will be there for the rest of your life.
We have been running the MDF Forum Digs since 2012 and this promises to be as good as any before. It will be different as its combined with the ECMD Conference, so you will have plenty of overseas visitors out on the fields and I hope you make them very welcome.
Soon be there ... Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:05 pm

You should write a book, Liam - that was a very observational, accurate and entertaining post :) You could also mention the idiots like me who walk half a mile from the car park to the field and then realise they've left their spade in the car.

It's going to be a great event - somebody will dig something wonderful and we'll all have great time trying not to forget the real names of the nicknames.

Phil
Rutus Alter 71
Deus Lite
Deeptech Vista Warrior
Garrett Pro Pointer

Danzigman

Post by Danzigman » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:03 pm

Phil2401 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:05 pm
It's going to be a great event - somebody will dig something wonderful and we'll all have great time trying not to forget the real names of the nicknames.

Phil
I have tried to solve that, so most can find me and talk.. or steer way around if wanted..
Hopefull I should be recognizable with these. I also made them as a test, as we are going to offer them to clubmembers from our web shop in Harja.

Image.
by
John Kristensen
, on Flickr

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:53 pm

Phil2401 wrote:
You should write a book, Liam - that was a very observational, accurate and entertaining post :) You could also mention the idiots like me who walk half a mile from the car park to the field and then realise they've left their spade in the car.

Phil
I fully agree, it will be a memorable event Phil.::g Inclement weather will have no diminishing effect on the mass enjoyment (hurricanes excepted)! :-O Having said that, waterproofs will be stowed in my harness/backpack......just in case. All the best ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:59 pm

liamnolan wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:14 pm
yummy .. i can only vouch for The Fox re the meals as thats the one I visited and all looked great and they are looking forward to receiving some table bookings in advance as they are always busy.
I hope to get to the Fox on Friday evening and wobble back to the "Base Camp" afterwards, then somehow appear next morning at the Maids Head hotel for Day 2 of the ECMD Conference looking sober, clean and well dressed. Always a first time for everything!
Most rallies follow the same pattern;
Morning arrival, fumbling through strange countryside, trusting in Sat Nav, then finding some sign along the verge, sharp bit of braking to annoy the car behind, sharp left/right and then trundle across some grassed area into a parking slot. Then its out of the car and nodding to others whose faces you hope you recognise but you don't. You grab your paperwork and wallet and walk up to the control tent, wait in line and then feel relieved when they find your name on the list. "Do you want some raffle tickets? £5.00 a go, great prizes" Of course you do!! (Our Laura will be there to sell those tickets .." Prizes include a Deus courtesy of XP.
Then its usually a case of getting all your detecting gear plastered on in the right places, checking that you have the phone, GPS, find bags, creams of all sorts, pen/paper for new friends, money, spare batteries, water, snack bars, mini microscope, plus other necessary accessories, all stored in the right pockets of the 87 pockets of the special military combat jacket you treasure, desperately hoping nobody else has also bought the same one ..
Then you set off with everyone else in all directions across fields and you think "Bugger, I forgot the map!"So you focus on getting your machine sorted out, right prog and GB and you swing that coil as if you know exactly where all those ancestors walked. Two hours later you are knackered and decide to drift back for a coffee and a chat with the others who have also knackered and are relieved to see others as tired and you all gather round the Finds Tent and check out the finds that are coming in.
At this stage of a normal rally, about 25% will suddenly remember that they have to be somewhere else, or the legs say "lets go home" or you have found very little and decide time is best spent on your own permission.
By lunchtime, the fields are much less crowded and people are moving more slowly, the coffee breaks get longer and you are delighted with that battered hammy in your pocket, a sign of detecting success and a badge of honour ::g
You enjoy the drive home, the hammy placed on the passenger seat so that you can gaze upon it with absolute love l;.

The MDF Rally will hopefully be a little different in that yes we will all arrive and maybe not know who is who, but as the day progresses people will chat with each other and have a few laughs and swap lots of tales and experiences, that you will have the wisdom to nip back to the car now and then for a quick snooze to recharge, that you will enjoy the company as much as the finds and that you will gradually feel part of a "MDF Family"
The evenings may be down the local pub or around a camp fire and a few cold tins but it will be time well spent and you will make new friends who will be there for the rest of your life.
We have been running the MDF Forum Digs since 2012 and this promises to be as good as any before. It will be different as its combined with the ECMD Conference, so you will have plenty of overseas visitors out on the fields and I hope you make them very welcome.
Soon be there ... Liam :;@
As said by 'Phil2401', a well observed and entertaining extract ::g (lifted no doubt, from your autobiography)!! :D Regards ss47

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:01 pm

Danzigman wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:03 pm
Phil2401 wrote:

Phil
I have tried to solve that, so most can find me and talk.. or steer way around if wanted..
Hopefull I should be recognizable with these. I also made them as a test, as we are going to offer them to clubmembers from our web shop in Harja.

Image.
by
John Kristensen
, on Flickr
john I think that you are one of the most recognised members of the forum ... who could mistake that quiff!!! -=+:-P -=+:-P -=+:-P

Danzigman

Post by Danzigman » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:19 pm

Yea - not many have personal avetar photo on their profile...And guess not many in our age have "nice hair", even mine have started to turn grey the last ½ year..
I made them also as bit of "Gear" to detecting... And it of course, excludes confusion.. Even in the dark after a few.. Even I will be able to find my jacket..
6 £ each.. Hopefully we will get a bargin and nocked down a bit for the club..

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:51 pm

liamnolan wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:27 pm
That parking is no problem.
Pubs - http://www.hainford-chequers.co.uk/food ... -starters/ this is the one fulltimer mentioned. I am actually sitting in The Fox pub - http://www.thefox-hevingham.co.uk/our-gallery/
The Fox have asked that anyone intending to have a meal on the Thurs, Fri and especially Sat night, book ahead to reserve a place. Same goes for The Chequers they say. They also say that The Chequers is within walking distance of where we are detecting ::g ::g
We can still grab a drink there as usual, its just the food that needs to be reserved. They both seem to have a good menu.
Liam (drinking coffee)
With regard to pubs, the Chequers may be within walking distance of the village, but it's on a narrow lane with no roadside footpaths - the Fox is maybe a bit far to walk and also no footpaths (based on Google Maps street view). So, driving, and moderation of alcohol consumption are in order if dining at either pub.

Anyway the point is I'm happy (as Oxgirl has also offered) to book a table or two at either pub, but we do need some indication of who is up for dining out - for me the meal prices preclude more than one night out, but as a suggestion, Saturday might be the best evening for a pub get-together. Oxgirl has asked for an indication of names / numbers - any takers?

Phil
Rutus Alter 71
Deus Lite
Deeptech Vista Warrior
Garrett Pro Pointer

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:33 pm

Will be playing it by ear I think guys, if I book a table 2 weeks in advance I will not want to go when it comes to it,proberbly knackered and wet and just wantimg DRINK :D

Danzigman

Post by Danzigman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:49 pm

alloverover wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:33 pm
Will be playing it by ear I think guys, if I book a table 2 weeks in advance I will not want to go when it comes to it,proberbly knackered and wet and just wantimg DRINK :D
It is NOT going to Rain...

Wildcard Digger

Post by Wildcard Digger » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:54 pm

Feeling blessed ! I only live around 4 miles away and will probably travel backwards and forwards
But it would be great to meet up with everybody for a chat and a quick one once the venue is sorted out
OooO
Thanks for the booking offers oxgirl36

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:16 pm

Looks like we're winging it? For me this is a social occasion and why I'm going so doing a fireside take away (of whatever type) will do just as well. As will a meal at the hotel and drinks later! Or a pub meal. Basically I'm not staying far away so can always get a taxi back if there's a chance to have a chat over a few drinks.

Hopefully it'll be the opportunity to share tales of some great finds over the weekend with perfect, balmy dry weather. Well we can all dream OooO
XP Deus
6 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 5 in 2017) - and still searching for more :))
Not everything is as young as it looks ;)

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:30 pm

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:16 pm
Looks like we're winging it? For me this is a social occasion and why I'm going so doing a fireside take away (of whatever type) will do just as well. As will a meal at the hotel and drinks later! Or a pub meal. Basically I'm not staying far away so can always get a taxi back if there's a chance to have a chat over a few drinks.

Hopefully it'll be the opportunity to share tales of some great finds over the weekend with perfect, balmy dry weather. Well we can all dream OooO
It'll all come together on the day. Maybe some of us are getting a bit too excited about the event :) But you're right Oxgirl, there will be get-togethers over the weekend wherever and whenever they occur. Since John has guaranteed good weather, what could possibly go wrong?

Phil
Rutus Alter 71
Deus Lite
Deeptech Vista Warrior
Garrett Pro Pointer

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:58 pm

Danzigman wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:49 pm
alloverover wrote:
Not from rain John, from sweat when the Indian summer kicks in :)) ::g ::g

Danzigman

Post by Danzigman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:00 pm

alloverover wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:58 pm
Danzigman wrote:
alloverover wrote:
How do we keep the Beer Cold.. ?.. B-)

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:03 pm

Danzigman wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:00 pm
alloverover wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:58 pm
Danzigman wrote:

How do we keep the Beer Cold.. ?.. B-)
Ive been drinking a lot of gin lately John, I have a few flasks and the Tesco in Aylsham has a fair supply of ice cubes :D

Return to “Rallies”