Detectival Rally September 2017.

Please post any metal detecting Events or Rallies here.
liamnolan

Re: Detectival Rally September 2017.

Post by liamnolan » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:46 pm

Good luck Jerry, I hope you have a fantastic time and manage to identify some of the MDF crowd.
When I attended the XP Rally last year we went to a Little Chef near our hotel in Burford. The chap at the next table asked the waitress if he could order a breakfast but have something instead of the black pudding. Her reply, which to this day has baffled us, was "No, I am sorry, we don't do any swaps at weekends" =)) Really made us chuckle!
Best wishes of course to all the others attending this great detecting event, may Lady Luck hover over you all, Liam ::g
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:09 pm

JBM wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:31 pm
Just had a post saying that Detectival is all sold out.

I hope to see some of you there please say hello. ;)
At 83, I will possibly be the oldest active detectorist there also wearing a XP hat and shirt also sporting a white mustache. ::g

Happy Hunting, Jerry.
Hello Jerry ::g, Any man of 83 years who is still participating in sporting anything, is a man to be reckoned with in my book!. ::g ............... My hat is well and truly doffed sir ::g

Have a great day and it's said that Minelab's 'new detector' will make it's debut at the event with the possibility to try it out!! ::g ::g All the best and Good Luck. Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

JBM

Post by JBM » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:37 pm

Ty 3.jpg
Thanks ss47.

Its having a dog that keeps me going.

Its no use me saying to Ty, Iam to tired to take you out.

We rescued Labs for 30 years and we thought it was all over 18 months ago, until this chap who is 50lbs of Muscle needed re homing.

He a very gentle affectionate dog.

Happy Hunting.

Jerry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:08 pm

You're so right Jerry ::g Dogs have always been an important part of family life to us. All but one have been rescue dogs. ::g Love the pic of your 'pooch' - (don't tell him I called him that)! :D

Apologies to the moderators for veering 'off topic'. rl; Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:56 pm

I am fully with SS47 here "Apologies to the moderators for veering off topic". If the moderators get upset at us saying "very well done sir" to a gentleman that both still gets out there detecting at 83 AND rescues dogs that need rehoming its a very sorry day for all of us.

So first of all a massive "Well done" on still getting out there and detecting at your age JBM, a fine example to us all.

Secondly well done on rescuing the dogs over so many years.
Like you say "Its no use me saying to Ty, Iam to tired to take you out." I have exactly the same issue with Horrid Hound.
But its like you say "having a dog that keeps me going.", I know there are some days I probably would not get out of the house if it was not for the dog. So its very much a two way thing.

I think this shows a combination of getting out there with a dog and detecting has to be good for you.

JBM, and all others, have a great time at Detectival irrespective of finds. But I hope to see some nice finds afterwards.
Burford is a nice little town so if you have free time take a wander around it. Also some other nice places close by so don't just restrict yourself to the dig especially if traveling any distance enjoy the area.

Evan

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:16 pm

If the moderators get upset at us saying "very well done sir" to a gentleman that both still gets out there detecting at 83 AND rescues dogs that need rehoming its a very sorry day for all of us.
You sir jump to too many conclusions x;

Well done Jerry, long may you continue to roam the fields.
At 51 myself and recovering from a massive heart attack i too doff my cap sir.

Now, no more off topics or i'll ban the lot of ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
=)) =)) =)) =))
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:25 pm

Blackadder43 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:16 pm
If the moderators get upset at us saying "very well done sir" to a gentleman that both still gets out there detecting at 83 AND rescues dogs that need rehoming its a very sorry day for all of us.
You sir jump to too many conclusions

=))
Great forum banter ::g ::g On a more serious note for 'Blackadder43', I and many others hope you're progressing nicely towards a full recovery ::g Regards ss47

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:34 pm

Blackadder43 wrote:
You sir jump to too many conclusions x;

=)) =)) =)) =))
very sorry to hear that BA ... stress free is the way to do it. OooO OooO OooO xx

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:22 am

sweepstick47 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:25 pm
Blackadder43 wrote:
You sir jump to too many conclusions

=))
Great forum banter ::g ::g On a more serious note for 'Blackadder43', I and many others hope you're progressing nicely towards a full recovery ::g Regards ss47
Having been a moderator on an international forum previously I see this from both sides. You often need to keep a thread "on topic", but to some extent you have to allow "Great forum banter".

So before I get banned I will also say a big "Thank you" to all the moderators for putting up with us users, (having worked in IT support for many years I know that the computers were always less trouble than the users!!).

In the last few months there have also been some on here with health issues, so I will wish them all the best, BA43 especially as he has had to put up with us lot on top of his heart attack!.

Good hunting to all, in your teens or eighties or any where in between.

Been nice knowing you,
the about to be banned Saffron aka Evan

JBM

Post by JBM » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:41 am

Life is a lottery in many respects and to those who are unwell "get Well soon".

Thanks for the nice"tail wagger" comments and may your pouches be full. ::g

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

Tony Hunt

Post by Tony Hunt » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:49 am

I will be attending for the duration, not detecting sadly but be manning the Detectorbits and Quest stands so please come and say hello If you're attending.

JBM

Post by JBM » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:37 am

Hi Tony. put the kettle on still no sugar in the coffee. ::g Jerry.

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:12 pm

JBM wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:37 pm
Ty 3.jpgThanks ss47.

Its having a dog that keeps me going.

Its no use me saying to Ty, Iam to tired to take you out.

We rescued Labs for 30 years and we thought it was all over 18 months ago, until this chap who is 50lbs of Muscle needed re homing.

He a very gentle affectionate dog.

Happy Hunting.

Jerry.
I have the exact copy but in brown/white, she looks fearsome but is just soft and likes to bark now and then, could not get a more loyal and warm companion, she races after the rabbits but as she is not built for speed, they just laugh and wander off into the hedges ...

Hope the weather holds out for the detecting, bad weather can ruin any event, good luck to all, Liam
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

Sportsman

Post by Sportsman » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:25 pm

I will be attending and cant wait should be fun with plenty of banter ::g
Xp Deus.

My Lucky Underpants

lukewarm

Post by lukewarm » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:40 pm

Getting ready now, I covered some miles last year and found my third treasure, a battered silver ring. The social side is just as much fun as the detecting
XP Deus - WS5 WS4 Backphones - 9HF, 11 & 13x11 Coils - Mi6
Whites TM808
Whites TRX Probe - X Pointer
Red Knees

JBM

Post by JBM » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:46 pm

The tented village is all part of the fun and a chance to meet up with friends old and new. ::g

Some of them have been at the heart of this hobby for donkeys years,certainly before we had modern day electronics. OooO

Remember to take some spending money along as there are always bargains to be had. ;)

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

JBM

Post by JBM » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:05 pm

Well some folks from around the globe start arriving for this event tomorrow.

We are set to go Friday morning.

I did hear a whisper that Minelab have sort of conference in the making on the first day.

It will be interesting to see just what they have got on offer. as its been a long time coming.

I wonder if they have learned any lessons from the other top flight manufacturers.

Will it pass the well known u-tube video with the tiny gold fragment test challenge from Steve.?

Happy Hunting.

Jerry.

JBM

Post by JBM » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:15 pm

Hope to see some of you over the weekend.

This looks like a good meeting spot for XP owners and their friends. ::g Jerry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:56 pm

JBM wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:05 pm
Well some folks from around the globe start arriving for this event tomorrow.

We are set to go Friday morning.

I did hear a whisper that Minelab have sort of conference in the making on the first day.

It will be interesting to see just what they have got on offer. as its been a long time coming.

I wonder if they have learned any lessons from the other top flight manufacturers.

Will it pass the well known u-tube video with the tiny gold fragment test challenge from Steve.?

Happy Hunting.

Jerry.
Will be interesting to finally get a look at this New Minelab machine and get some more information on it ::g B-)

stubble hunter

Post by stubble hunter » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:37 pm

As I had to leave the rally due to a persistent back ache I have time at home to compile a small report.
Like last year the organisation was second to none, no shortage of food and drink stalls, loads of trade stalls and I also want to thank Regtons for fixing my dodgy WS5's in double quick time !
And the land ? Like last year the fields were vast but with the camp area bang in the middle of the fields the walking distances were not as far.
All of the fields were either disc'd. Some were nobbly particularly field 15 on day 2 (hence my back ache !) but it was 'the' field to be in ! But those fields that were planted were really very doable ! ::g
Day 1 and finds I heard of were a Saxon and Gold disc brooch (well it looked like that in the FLO case), a lovely carved Roman knife handle, some quality hammereds and denarii, and my mate was next to the chap who pulled out a saxon penny (Aethelraed II I believe). The FLO also confirmed a 'hoard' had turned up which may have been Elizabethan but was awaiting confirmation on who found what and how many.
Day 2 and it appears field 15 ( next to the barrow and across from the Roman scheduled site) was where most of the finds were coming from. Understandably most people targetted this one including yours truly who managed a half sestertius (albeit little detail).
But there were some star finds including a saxon gold pin, saxon gold thrysma (hopefully this is not a chinese whispers find... ) and several denarii - all from the top slope of field 15 I believe. My mate bagged one of the denarius too :)
I was also told that one chap walked into field 15 and immediately dug up a gold guinea ! Georgian I believe.
On returning to the finds tent later I also saw a gold Portugese half escudo.
Of course with the number of detectorists there .. 500 odd ? Then the chances of a few fab finds were always going to be increased so congratulations to those finders. And as for the miserable few that moaned the 'fields were crap' then they really don't understand the beauty of our hobby ! You have to go over it ! As well as know what to listen to naturally :-w
My only gripe is that for the second year running it was not common knowledge which field had the tokens in. It was field 1 which I found out come the afternoon. 50 tokens planted apparently 48 silver and 2 gold. Anyone finding a gold one got a detector ! And both 'were' found ! And I found one of the silver ones so no 17 got me a Searchers goodie bag of a polo shirt, 2 finds bag, rucksack, aluminium drinks bottle and .. a baseball hat ! Can never have enough baseball hats ! :)) And I should add that I won a years subscription to Searcher mag. So this was one of several good prizes on offer not forgetting the main raffle draw which offered up many brands of detector as a prize. Top notch prizes (should be too at a fiver a ticket :D )
The weather was showery and I hope everyone gets off the site though the long grass did help !
The entertainment included a bucking bronco with the Brits versus all the Europeans ! Great fun and a disco provided the music till midnight. There were a few sore heads next day. p.s. The Hook Norton beer at £4 a pint was very reasonable I thought though other brands were a touch more expensive.
A great experience though can we have the weather a tad warmer next year please. The nights were close to freezing :-O
For those who have never experienced a rally... give it a try but go prepared ! Plenty of blankets for warmth if tenting it !
Cheers !
John
p.s. I am sure others will contribute more positive comments and tell about more fantastic finds too !
XP DEUS - V3.2 (11" coil).
Settings: GMP, manual, 18khz

[member of Taynton Metal Detecting Club - http://www.glevumdetecting.co.uk

Return to “Rallies”