Rally List 2018

Please post any metal detecting Events or Rallies here.
daparat

Rally List 2018

Post by daparat » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:58 am

Where is the best place to find a list of all the rallies this year, want to get signed up ::g

thanks

Dap

Junior

Re: Rally List 2018

Post by Junior » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:07 am

Maybe not the best but keep an eye out in the searcher magazine and the treasure hunter magazine depending when they come out the event can b close or out of date but generally that month plus. I try and put some on here if I see them as not everyone get the mags some get removed some don't. ....Central Serchers generally do a weekly one in camb / northants area advertised on this forum. ..lgd....toddys if your up north..... and just put 2018 rally on search on your mobile. Sadly if you list commercial ones on this forum they get removed i think you should ask or something????.. There doesn't seem 1 place you can go for all years events.... that I know of.... if you want a job start one it would b good.

chip

Post by chip » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:05 am

I think they are all commercial, the central searchers one I went to recently was £20 on the door for non members. That was on top of my £35 fuel to get there, so was an expensive day out for me. That said despite me not finding anything that did not go in the trash bin i still enjoyed it.

Also not having a permission rallies are my only option for getting out with the detector. It's good central searchers do one a week because despite the fact I could not afford to go every week once you add petrol money, at least when the coffers allow it there is not so long to wait for one to come around.
Last edited by chip on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

JBM

Post by JBM » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:36 am

Bit early yet.

I believe there will be another Detectival this year.

Not to be missed its a chance to meet folks face to face,who are just names on the internet.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:07 am

Dates for Detectival and some sketchy details have been announced :D

This is one Mrix and the mods should consider. Could we have a calendar of events? It could be a section just listing basic info and a link to further info. Could include a disclaimer that this site is not involved or affiliated. Please, pretty please. It could be locked if you want to keep it focussed and none political.

Even a list of JUST charity digs, by month, would be a great start if that could be arranged? I don’t mind starting one if it’s considered a lot of work ::g
XP Deus
12 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017), just 4 so far in 2018 (but did find 1 gold coin :D )

Junior

Post by Junior » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:07 pm

Oxgirl 36.....well done and well put. ....VERY Good idea i have 2 events from the searcher i don't know whether to put on as Mrs does nuts when we get stuff disallowed/ pm s as she gets the email as only 1 address she reckons don't tell people of dates but I can't help trying to b helpful ::g

DionAstro

Post by DionAstro » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:30 pm

On my own rather large forum which is for a different hobby, I have an events section, the attitude I take is, if its a commercial event, as long as the organisers approach me as opposed to an advert simply posted as a users one and only post, I allow it and if they have a website I request in return they post a banner to my site. No big thing for them when I have a site of over 12,000 members they potentially have access to.

On the other side of the coin, if its a commercial event and the organiser does simply sign up to the forum and their one and only post is an advert, I remove it and message them basically saying I like to be kissed before being screwed!

At the end of the day, if its of a benefit to the hobby, well........

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:03 pm

I thought there was a Rally section to the left already. Mrix can't help it if no one posts their rallies in there🤔

BM [:)

Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
XP Goldmaxx Power

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:09 pm

Keeping an up-to-date, nationwide list of all rallies, both charitable and commercial, would be a full time job for someone - if someone has the time and commitment then that would be good.

Some rallies are announced months in advance, some only a couple of days in advance. We will all be looking out for Detectival (booking from early February apparently), the MDF rally, the Anton Rally, etc. but otherwise in my humble view it's a matter for the individual to keep an eye out for the other rallies - Central Searchers, LGD, etc. Too many variables exist, which make it impractical to create a single database.

Probably talking nonsense as usual, but it makes sense to me :)

Phil
Quaerite et invenietis

Minelab Equinox 800
Deus Lite
Deeptech Vista Warrior

Garrett carrot
Fond Hope

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:10 pm

Phil2401 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:09 pm
Keeping an up-to-date, nationwide list of all rallies, both charitable and commercial, would be a full time job for someone - if someone has the time and commitment then that would be good.

Some rallies are announced months in advance, some only a couple of days in advance. We will all be looking out for Detectival (booking from early February apparently), the MDF rally, the Anton Rally, etc. but otherwise in my humble view it's a matter for the individual to keep an eye out for the other rallies - Central Searchers, LGD, etc. Too many variables exist, which make it impractical to create a single database.

Probably talking nonsense as usual, but it makes sense to me :)

Phil
Phil I completely agree that if it included commercial rallies and digs it would be a lot of work. But only non-commercial events could be posted on here with external links ( see rule 4 of the forum: External Linking Any commercial links are strictly prohibited ). At least that is how I read the rule :-/

I’ll start a post. People can add info in the comments about additional charity digs they hear about and i’ll add them to the top post to create a master list by date and month. That way it shouldn’t be too much work. I can remove each month as it passes so it becomes a rolling calendar.
Does that sound good to everyone?
XP Deus
12 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017), just 4 so far in 2018 (but did find 1 gold coin :D )

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:11 pm

I like Oxgirls idea. But think that potentially "commercial" might be an issue.

Considering that "commercial" digs should not be advertised and some for a large well know group have been removed I am surprised that the Central Searchers digs a allowed (and I have just checked their home page does not link to the MDF).

Current prices (from 1 April 2017 as posted by Gill) are
"To join Central Searchers and renew as a Club member the cost is being reduced to £25 a year.
Dig Prices however will be rising Club Members will now pay £13 a dig and non members will be £20"

So membership is more than for the other large group and non members pay the same per dig, only saving is £13 vice £15 for members on a dig (but the other group give a "free" dig after every 12 paid ones so it works out at the same).

At those prices I fail to see how it can be called anything but "commercial" as about twice what I have paid with 3 different groups in the last few months. So sadly, to me at least, there does appear to be an inconsistency in how rule 4 is applied.

Evan

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:16 pm

I posted before I saw Evan's post.... so how do we distinguish 'commercial' from 'non-commercial'?

Phil
Quaerite et invenietis

Minelab Equinox 800
Deus Lite
Deeptech Vista Warrior

Garrett carrot
Fond Hope

Pilly

Post by Pilly » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:21 pm

Is there a need to distinguish between commercial and non-commercial?

I'm fairly new to all this, are commercial events frowned upon?

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:33 pm

Pilly wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:21 pm

A very long story !!!!!!!!!!.

"Commercial" events are often larger than the traditional "club" events.
On a positive they give people without their own permissions, especially newbies, a good chance to go detecting. There is also a social side. So a lot of people think that they are a good idea.

The negative is that they charge more, but this is in part because they pay the farmers more ... this can make it harder for smaller groups. So "traditionalists" especially do not like them.

Some are well organised and provide good new undetected land every time, while others are not so good and often go to previously done sites - like most things in life some good / some bad.

Been a lot of "conflict" about them in the last few years so probably best to leave it at the statements I made above as they give both sides views.

Evan

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:35 pm

Pilly wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:21 pm

They are by some, but not by me, charity digs, club digs, open digs, I support them all. If I see a dig is in an area I want to dig because of the local history in that area, then I will try to get on the dig.
It is all about the digging for me, I just want to get out and enjoy myself ::g

BM [:)

Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
XP Goldmaxx Power

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:40 pm

Frankly I've never seen any good reason to discriminate between the two. As long as the details are posted and the basis of the dig/rally and the costs are made plain as a pikestaff then surely people are adults and can decide for themselves!
Rallies have become a political issue in recent years but, as Oxgirl says, there is no need to drag this into a calendar of available events. As dates come out its good for them to be listed as they are found. Thing is, for people like me, I don't get back to the UK much and when I do I'd like the opportunity to go along to a dig if possible. Last year I was in the dark and couldn't really plan it well enough in advance.

I've been on all sorts of digs in the past and, invariably, the people who have found stuff on a dig say its a good dig and the people who have found bugger all often (though not always) report that it was pants!
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:02 pm

As Kevin has said, we already have a Rallies section and its there to be used. No probs with members posting up details of rallies as long as they do not then try to PROMOTE that event by continually reminding others.
Over the years there has been an unsavoury rise in the number of purely commercial events that give zero to charities. We also get individuals who try to make some money by simply arranging for a couple of "done to death" fields to be detected at around £20 a go, no facilities at all, everything in the back pocket and we hear stories of the farmer may not be aware!
Beware of listing someone elses event - if it goes belly up then you end up with the flak as disgruntled attendees may see you as part of the reason for their misery. :(
We occasionally refuse to allow some events as we foresee problems for our members. A MDF listing carries a bit of standing and its no good printing a disclaimer as they are unlawful.
About a year back I suggested that all open access events should have to comply with agreed basic standards.
Its my opinion that the SMALLER events that may be tagged onto a club event are usually a lot better than the bigger commercial events that are simply after the contents of your wallet. I see cups of tea/coffee being offered at Starbucks prices, no toilets, little parking and maize stalks, nothing much to be found and although its good to meet up with others and have a natter, there should be a better basic level of services if you are paying hard cash.
So, just let organisers list the events in the Rallies section, they are then accountable for what happens and can be asked questions before and maybe after ..
Just my own opinions ..... Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:13 pm

Hello all, yes as already explained there is our rallies sub forum here for the purpose of posting rallies but I suppose to make life a lot easier and simpler a list of events throughout the year would be far better, I suppose at the moment rally discussion will wash away these events so it makes sense to add a list for 2018.
The most difficult part is finding all the rallies and dates etc, If anyone wishes to add an event to the list please pm me your request and I will start to compile it, I will also add events we already are aware of,
I`ll basically see how it goes throughout 2018 regarding time spent and generally the amount of effort required to see if it will be continued during following years ::g
Thanks all
mrix

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:33 pm

You are an angel Mrix :-* thank you ::g
XP Deus

Junior

Post by Junior » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:51 pm

Thanks Mrix and other forum admin..and oxgirl36...... ::g

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:26 pm

Hello all, I am now locking this topic off as its already generated off topic replies.
As mentioned if you know of a list of rallies / digs throughout 2018 please let me know ::g
Thanks all
mrix

Return to “Rallies Forum”