SOLD OUT! 21-23 September Rodney Cook memorial charity detecting weekender

Please post any metal detecting Events or Rallies here.
chillidog

Re: SOLD OUT! 21-23 September Rodney Cook memorial charity detecting weekender

Post by chillidog » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:07 pm

had a silver roman yesterday from the next field from the token field forgot what the flo said it was
it was displayed in the display case and and i had a roman grot,pic's to follow later,just got back home going to have my dinner,bath, sleep sleep.
great weekend one of the best. money well spent even if we had the gales and rain and the mud bath,great bunch of people sorry i never meet you's toe rags from the forum in person but we can meet on the next rodney cook rallie. ::g ::g ::g

hammered coins : 2018 =6
roman coins :2018 = 5
roman silver coins :2018 =1

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:30 pm

Well I'm home now, having also been out in the rain this morning with BM and Saffron (whom I didn't see today). Some very good finds - the FLO was happy, the organisers were happy and I was happy - not with finds in my case (although did get a nice little Roman radiate and a half guinea coin weight (ID'd in the field by Fred - thank you Fred and both recorded by the FLO:)) but with the fantastic organisation and of course the good company.

Now the name badges.... I failed to impress but was still grateful to be allowed several slices of your delicious cakes Cath 8-} ::g

A selection of badges is attached - no prizes for guessing whose they are... much effort went in to this by some - sorry for omitting BM's - it wouldn't stay on his cap long enough to be photographed - didn't see yours Cath and as for Liam's - well I just don't have the words to describe its artistic merit and it cannot be displayed in publiPhil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Quaerite et invenietis

Minelab Equinox 800
Deus Lite
Deeptech Vista Warrior

Garrett carrot
Fond Hope

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:33 pm

Phil2401 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:53 pm
Oxgirl36 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:14 pm
So far this weekender has raised over £25k for the cancer care unit ::g

Very, very well done to the organisers and thank you to everyone here who attended and got involved OooO
Last count at lunchtime today was over £27,000 - a fantastic result :)

Phil
My father died from cancer so this event was close to my heart.

I am not very far from cirencester so know the area and that potentially there could have been some great finds as Cirencester was a major Roman centre (the museum is well worth a visit if you get a chance).

But this event was like all large rallys, some people did well and made good finds while others did not and unfortunately had mainly junk.

In my case my abilitly to AVOID Roman its becoming past a joke and again I succeeded this weekend B| B| but when I see a figure of over £27,000 was raised for a cancer charity realistically do I care about my finds (or lack of)? NO.

The event was very well organised, the sites had lots of potential (and some nice finds were made), after that it just comes down to normal luck of the draw about who walks over what so a massive well done to all involved in organising the event and those that supported it.

Evan

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:34 pm

And another....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Quaerite et invenietis

Minelab Equinox 800
Deus Lite
Deeptech Vista Warrior

Garrett carrot
Fond Hope

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:37 pm

Phil2401 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:34 pm
And another....
u;@

Do I win a prize for guessing who this belongs to??

To its owner "Nice to meet you" .... but where was Jenkins with the gin when I was around ?.

Evan

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:43 pm

Saffron wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:37 pm
Phil2401 wrote:
And another....
u;@

To its owner "Nice to meet you" .... but where was Jenkins with the gin when I was around ?.

Evan
I was a little mystified also as to why Jenkins didn't attend to dig the holes and sift through the mud.... can't get the staff these days I suppose.

Phil
Quaerite et invenietis

Minelab Equinox 800
Deus Lite
Deeptech Vista Warrior

Garrett carrot
Fond Hope

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:50 pm

I managed to attend the mods posh dinner on Friday evening and i was promised a spot next to the cakes on the Saturday as unfortunately i didnt have tickets to stay and i needed to get home
So as promised here i was in spirit and badge with you fine people at the rally
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:54 pm

I'll shut up after this one but just to say I think some thanks are due to Liam for choosing this event as a substitute for a 2018 MDF Rally - it fitted the bill perfectly :)

And all those jelly beans did not get eaten in vain ....

Phil
Quaerite et invenietis

Minelab Equinox 800
Deus Lite
Deeptech Vista Warrior

Garrett carrot
Fond Hope

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:06 pm

Phil2401 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:43 pm
Saffron wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:37 pm
Phil2401 wrote:
And another....
u;@

Evan
I was a little mystified also as to why Jenkins didn't attend to dig the holes and sift through the mud.... can't get the staff these days I suppose.

Phil
Evan & Phil: The worthless halfwit was on holiday (apparently it's the law these days) but the gin was present and going down inordinately well, by all accounts. As for digging holes and sitfting mud, yes, that was proving to be a bit of a niggle. So I got Sweepstick to do it. Very helpful chap, is old Sweepers ::g

Pleasure to have met you both, as it was with all of you I was able to meet. Cracking bunch, so you are.
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:10 pm

thefiggis wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:06 pm
So I got Sweepstick to do it. Very helpful chap, is old Sweepers ::g

Old, OLD?....That sweepers fellow is twice my age but looked half my damn age
No idea what sweep quaffs on a daily basis but i want some
*wanders off grumbling about life in general*
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:20 pm

I am very seriously getting (Mods censored!!!!!!!!!!!) with my inability to find Roman B| B|

From what I heard about 90% found Roman, even if often just grots, on this rally but yet again I failed B| B|

So lets be positive and forget the Romans, I mean as Reg said in The Life Of Brian "what have the Romans ever done for us?"

So like all rebels I took my own path, and hunted SILVER.

Friday: Queen Victoria 1900 silver (92.5%) threepence piece. In good condition after a very quick (30 secs) clean with bicarbonate soda. I can not remember finding one of these before (I need to check my records) and would have thought them slightly unusual but heard of 3 silver threepence pieces being found on the Friday.

Saturday: Got wet and stuck in the mud ;;z ;;z

Sunday: Stick to the stuble as do not want to get wet and stuck in the mud again. Milled silver, sixpence size and is that George VI (I really do need to learn my monarchs better). Get home and check, yes size is spot on for 6d and looks like George VI but in poor condition and has normal black crud on.
Bicarbonate reached for again. Oh, its an ALBERT !!!
More bicarbonate applied and I am confused as normal.
After a bit more cleaning and google searching here is the coin https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces492.html (sorry folks but this is in better condition than mine and I have an error on my camera memory card).

A 1912 King Albert I of Belgium silver (82.5%) 50 Centimes x; x;

You do wonder what brings a coIn like that to the Cotswolds. But in World War I 90% of Belgium was overrun and occupied the Germans. Maybe this coin belonged to a refugee from Belgium that escaped the German invasion and took refuge here?. More research required.
But I am certain that this is likely to be unique from this weekends rally unlike those old Romans :D

Can I try to push 3 "silvers" in 4 days?. An Eizabeth II 1962 sixpence from a very well worked pemission in a short session (left home gone 6:00 and at 7:05 realised I should have been at a meeting at 7:00) on Thursday.

Evan

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:24 pm

Blackadder43 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:10 pm

Old, OLD?....That sweepers fellow is twice my age but looked half my damn age
No idea what sweep quaffs on a daily basis but i want some
*wanders off grumbling about life in general*
Amazing, ain't it? He has this jollop he takes every day and I blagged a sip. By gor, that's some good gear and brought to life certain areas I'd believed to be dead for years. Basingstoke, for instance.
Essential equipment:
Jenkins
Gin.

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:38 pm

Saffron wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:20 pm
I am very seriously getting (Mods censored!!!!!!!!!!!) with my inability to find Roman B| B|

You do wonder what brings a coIn like that to the Cotswolds. But in World War I 90% of Belgium was overrun and occupied the Germans. Maybe this coin belonged to a refugee from Belgium that escaped the German invasion and took refuge here?. More research required.
But I am certain that this is likely to be unique from this weekends rally unlike those old Romans :D

Evan
Nice find, but if it had been lost between 1912 and 1914 it could simply have been dropped by somebody visiting family/friends or doing business in the area - nowt to do with WW1. Definitely unique for the weekend though :)

Phil
Quaerite et invenietis

Minelab Equinox 800
Deus Lite
Deeptech Vista Warrior

Garrett carrot
Fond Hope

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:47 pm

The jelly bean cake.
XP Deus
12 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017), just 4 so far in 2018 (but did find 1 gold coin :D )

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:59 pm

The group pic. I didn’t take it so apologies for its poor quality. Thank you to all of you who came along to say hello. You were all absolutely brilliant company ::g

And I just want to say it is wholly untrue that I paid him a bribe to add soft focus.
2703B07C-90C2-47A9-BFC8-52A6086B8C04.jpeg
Starting bottom left:

TheFiggis, Telstar, Phil2401, Fred, ??? (sorry rl; ), ShaggyBFC, oxgirl36, Bargeman, Bob79, Liam

No idea where Sweepstick went :-O

Very sneaky mod edit :-O In the absence of Jenkins I was tasked by his Lordship to fill his holes!
XP Deus
12 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017), just 4 so far in 2018 (but did find 1 gold coin :D )

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:08 pm

Reminder of a cracking day. Thanks for the effort put into those delish cakes, Cath ::g
Essential equipment:
Jenkins
Gin.

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:14 pm

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:59 pm
The group pic. I didn’t take it so apologies for its poor quality. Thank you to all of you who came along to say hello. You were all absolutely brilliant company ::g

And I just want to say it is wholly untrue that I paid him a bribe to add soft focus.
The cakes look lovely Cath - wish I could have been there! Any chance of a left to right on the faces?
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

Et scrutatus est, et inventum: et effossa

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:25 pm

Phil2401 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:38 pm
Saffron wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:20 pm

Evan
Nice find, but if it had been lost between 1912 and 1914 it could simply have been dropped by somebody visiting family/friends or doing business in the area - nowt to do with WW1. Definitely unique for the weekend though :)

Phil
Sorry Phil it only had the date minted (1912), the monarch (Albert 1) and the Engraver (Godefroid Devreese) on it, but NOT the date dropped :)) :))

I fully agree it could well have been a random drop by visiting family/friends or doing business in the area and nowt to do with WW1.
BUT, Cirencester is NOT a significant business nor industrial centre so although possible I consider a connection with Belgium due to these is very unlikely.
Cirencester is not that big, even in 2011 including villages on the outskirts like Siddington where we were today the population was only 19,076 and would have been less in 1912-14 so although "somebody visiting family/friends" is without doubt possible I do not go for it in such a limited time span.

I have a theory. Gut says it is right. ::g But I do not have enough evidence to support it ;;z
Worse still 1) I love of local history and 2 ) Have this habit of trying to solve odd mysteries.
Ignoring the background this coin is certainly very different to your normal finds in the North Cotswolds so I will start a new thread about it and try to do some research (well I have not done any thing like this since "The Lion Of Bromsgrove" (very interesting that was to) last month).

Evan

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:31 pm

Good luck with that Evan - my comment was merely prompted by your stated date of the coin - 1912 - Belgium was not invaded until April 1914, so I thought it is not necessarily connected o WW1.

Phil
Quaerite et invenietis

Minelab Equinox 800
Deus Lite
Deeptech Vista Warrior

Garrett carrot
Fond Hope

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:54 pm

Phil2401 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:31 pm
Good luck with that Evan - my comment was merely prompted by your stated date of the coin - 1912 - Belgium was not invaded until April 1914, so I thought it is not necessarily connected o WW1.

Phil
Phil I took your comment purely as it was meant. I have a theory, gut says its correct but I have NO evidence to support it, so you were right to question it.

This is the kind of silly thing I like to try and follow up. Sometimes it results in finding out more about the subject which can be really interesting, sometimes it just hits a brick wall but if so nothing is lost.

I have started a new thread and look forward to the challange of following this up ... lets see if I get anywhere.

Evan

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:02 pm

Oxgirl36 wrote:

Hang on there are 11 people in that photo, plus one taking the picture = 12.

I know Cath had made 3 cakes, and they looked very tasty ... not that she offered me any as I left early! ... so that equates to 1/4 of a cake each !!

Is it surprising that one or two (no names!) look like they have not seen the scales recently =)) =))

I agree with SuperRed ... Any chance of a left to right on the faces?

Seriously though sorry I missed some of you, hope you all had a great time and made some good finds ... hopefully catch you at the 2019 MDF dig.

Evan

fred

Post by fred » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:20 pm

Saffron wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:02 pm
Oxgirl36 wrote:

I know Cath had made 3 cakes, and they looked very tasty ... not that she offered me any as I left early! ... so that equates to 1/4 of a cake each !!
I ate so much cake that I forsook dinner and just went back to the B&B and fell asleep.

Despite the weather it was a great weekend. I got bored with Roman almost grots, finishing with 13 plus a reasonable brooch, a piece of silver which may be a slick and very battered hammy plus two Medieval belt mounts like one that I found in Kent just before I left. I even gave the new baby coil a tryout and its first coin was a Roman. :D
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:29 pm

fred wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:20 pm
I ate so much cake that I forsook dinner and just went back to the B&B and fell asleep.
When someone eyes a tableful of cake and, when asked which one they'd like, replies with, "I'll start with the carrot cake" you just know it's not going to end well.

He had three family-sized chunks that I saw.

Decent haul you had there, Fred (both cake and finds) ::g
Essential equipment:
Jenkins
Gin.

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:39 pm

Names now added to the group photo post. Apologies for the two people whose names I have forgotten rl;
XP Deus

bob79

Post by bob79 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:42 pm

Telstar on left Cath

Telstar

Post by Telstar » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:51 pm

Great to meet some of you Saturday and sample some of the awesome cake, didn't do well for finds myself, but nice to see some interesting ones made and a cracking weekend for a fantastic cause.

Kev

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:52 pm

[/quote]

The photo was taken by the tall slim, clearly non-cake-eating chap from Leisure Promotions, whose name I forget:)

Phil
Quaerite et invenietis

Minelab Equinox 800
Deus Lite
Deeptech Vista Warrior

Garrett carrot
Fond Hope

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:08 pm

I posted on a Gloucestershire Social History page about my 1912 Belgium coin trying to get a WWI refugee connection.

In return I got 2 questions!.
1) What is a metal detecting dig and who organises it. (do not groan as for somebody with no knowledge of metal detecting its a fair question!).
So I gave a bit of info and said about it raising £27,000 for the charity and about the FLO being there and the PAS (explaining what they were) and how it added to the history of the area for future generations so did my bit for public relations for the hobby.

2) Any wartime stuff found near the Duke of Gloucester barracks?
Chap asking obviously knows his stuff and local history so if any possible war related stuff was found it would be appreciated if you could let me know and I will forward the details.

Evan

PeakDetectorist

Post by PeakDetectorist » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:46 pm

Hi All

I just wanted to say that my son and I have thoroughly enjoyed this weekend detcecting event. It was a good choice by the MDF crew to promote it as their annual dig. The event was extremely well organised from start to finish and a very worthy charity event.

In my opinion, the venues were of very good quality and nearly everybody I spoke to had made decent finds.

I did briefly meet up with a few of the members (Bargeman, Phil and a couple of others who's user name I didn't catch unfortunately) and enjoyed some of Oxgirl's Jelly Bean cake ::g

I had some steady finds Saturday and Sunday, a good few Roman, a hammered copper Charles I Rose Farthing, a bit of a silver pocket watch and a couple of Roman fragments.

Mhy best find however, was a lovely large bronze Roman disc brooch with gold gilt. I will post pictures up tomorrow when I have more time!

Cheers David
XP Deus with various coils

JBM

Post by JBM » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:44 pm

WHRADA members were very happy with their Saturday visit.

OK it was a bit wet, but the social side was nice and I met folks from over the years.

Its a pity that I did not meet more people but thats the way the cookie crumbles.

I had a call from Gary Cook and the team to say that my £10 strip of Raffle tickets had come up with a winning prize.

I usually only win the minor prizes, but this was for a Metal detector.(Equinox800)

Pity that I did not meet more folks.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

Return to “Rallies Forum”