Garrett Ace 250 Segment Notches - description

Topics related to Garrett metal detectors here, off topic posts will be removed. Garrett Videos
statbloke

Garrett Ace 250 Segment Notches - description

Post by statbloke » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:56 pm

Hi. Does anyone have a more detailed description for 12 notches in the discrimination bar of the Ace 250 other than the little pictures of US coins, ring pulls etc.

it would be really useful if there was some sort of guide on what range/types of metals/objects show up on each one, in more general terms. There is nothing in the manual or on the Garrett website about this :-L

It would be useful if something more comprehensive is available, so for example if you get a consistent notch 8 for a find you have a shortlist of what this might be.

My reading of the manual is that this is based on conductivity but is it also determined by size/shape of object?

Thanks

Tall bloke with AT Pro, Nokta Fors Gold plus & Pro-Pointer

Blackadder43

Re: Garrett Ace 250 Segment Notches - description

Post by Blackadder43 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:01 pm

The only advise i can give you is you should not really be notching anything out if detecting in the UK.
USA detectorists do not have the history we have, they do not have hammered coinage and Roman coinage, both of which would be discriminated if you notched out the foil areas of a Ace 250....

If you run the machine in "all metal" (no discrimination) then the rule of thumb is to learn the sound Iron makes and dig all other tones....
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Davelambo

Post by Davelambo » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:15 pm

Like Blackadder says mate,theres too many variables to place a particular item against a certain notch.
Personally,i notch out the first 3 if the site is very trashy but most of the time leave full discrimination on.
You will soon get to know if your target is worth digging.

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:18 pm

there was someone on here selling covers they had made to cover the american display with a uk display, not sure if they are still on the auction site ::g

neil.
Just using the Force Image

statbloke

Post by statbloke » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:34 pm

Thanks both. The UK display would be great if the sticker guy (or gal) is still around.

I'm using the 12 notches mainly to identify what I have found rather than notching out sounds. As you say the iron sound is very distinctive and sometime you get this intermittently with other good sounds when sweeping one way but not the other, so its good to leave it audible to indicate trash.

Just a bit frustrating that Garrett don't provide more general guildelines of what types of targets show up in each one. Don't think I'm going to find many 1c, 5c, 10c or 50c coins in my back-yard ,':|

felixferal

Post by felixferal » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:34 pm

Hi,

To be honest, after using a 250 for the best part of a year, forget the screen, forget the notches.
Stick it in ALL METAL and sensitivity as high as it will go without the machine falsing (i.e going crazy).
Get a good pair of headphones, and listen to what it is telling you.

Ignore the low grunts of iron - 1st bar (pretty accurate) unless it's big iron when it will indicate Silver - but with a bit of practice you will notice a definite "tail" to an iron signal.

Same with coke, and lead - which have a bit of a "fizz" to them. x;

It will take a bit of practice but after a while I was confidently ignoring those kinds of signals. Seriously forget the screen. BTW Hammered silver coins show as foil on the 250!! (sometimes - I didn't find any but I know as I tested it with coins from my collection - sometimes they show higher on the scale - they don't show as silver).

This detecting game is a dark art, nothing is ever as it seems. If in doubt dig it!!

GL & HH
Minelab CTX3030, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Extreme Evolution Blade, Chefphones & Grim Determination

http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/felix ... rary/Coins" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ace

Post by Ace » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:02 pm

felixferal wrote:Hi,

To be honest, after using a 250 for the best part of a year, forget the screen, forget the notches.
Stick it in ALL METAL and sensitivity as high as it will go without the machine falsing (i.e going crazy).
Get a good pair of headphones, and listen to what it is telling you.

Ignore the low grunts of iron - 1st bar (pretty accurate) unless it's big iron when it will indicate Silver - but with a bit of practice you will notice a definite "tail" to an iron signal.

Same with coke, and lead - which have a bit of a "fizz" to them. x;

It will take a bit of practice but after a while I was confidently ignoring those kinds of signals. Seriously forget the screen. BTW Hammered silver coins show as foil on the 250!! (sometimes - I didn't find any but I know as I tested it with coins from my collection - sometimes they show higher on the scale - they don't show as silver).

This detecting game is a dark art, nothing is ever as it seems. If in doubt dig it!!

GL & HH
I agree except I run mine in Relics :D

Ace :)
XP DEUS lite 3.2 + 9" coil & WS5 H/phones
Garret Ace 250 + Stock & 22 x 28 DD coil
Garret Pro-Pointer
NCMD member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAt9oY ... -Qw/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A load of determination!

felixferal

Post by felixferal » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:41 pm

Oh forgot to mention the "two way" signal.

If you get a signal that sounds good turn yourself and machine 90 degrees and scan over it again - if it still sounds good dig it.
Minelab CTX3030, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Extreme Evolution Blade, Chefphones & Grim Determination

http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/felix ... rary/Coins" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

statbloke

Post by statbloke » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:03 pm

felixferal wrote:Oh forgot to mention the "two way" signal.

If you get a signal that sounds good turn yourself and machine 90 degrees and scan over it again - if it still sounds good dig it.
Thanks for all the advice today this great. It's funny that you mentioned the false silver signal on big iron items. My biggest bit of junk turned out to be a very nasty rusty square iron cover about 4'' by 4''. Gave off a huge signal of iron but also silver which bit me excited. Was a bugger to dug out as well. I think I will ignore objects of this size else my garden will end up looking like the moles have been at it.

The other thing I notice is that you sometimes get a signal sweeping one way eg left to right but not the other way sweeping right to left. This almost always turns out it be a rusty nail so far. I will try your 90 degrees technique next time and try and reduce time wasted on rusty junk.

Grimhunt

Post by Grimhunt » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:43 pm

Had the 250 now 18 month I use head phones in all metal full sensitivity disgrim first notch in iron and just listen to the sounds you'll soon learn what's good if unsure just dig it

cliff1

Post by cliff1 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:59 pm

I was just reading this post as my son has an Ace 250.
It suddenly jogged my memory that I had asked the guy that was making faceplates for this model if he was making anymore.
I went back through my emails and he replied to me on the 25 Dec asking if I was still interested so I have just emailed him.
I will let you know how I get on if you are interested ( I do not wish to break any of the sites forum rules so will not post an links to this person or site that he uses }

regards

cliff1

stts

Post by stts » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:12 am

You could check out this video which I found rather intuitive when I first got my ACE 250

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S9-Z5bSj0k

[youtube][/youtube]
Garrett ACE 250

Biglewey

Post by Biglewey » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:31 pm

I'm with most of the above - all metal and listen, scan at 90 deg and still a good solid signal dig...
CTX 3030 and Garrett Pro-Pointer. Garrett ACE 250 and AT PRO as spare.

Wansdyke44

Post by Wansdyke44 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:32 pm

Yes run in all metal as the recovery rate is a little faster between targets. Constant two way signals are always worth digging if not in the iron segment. Keep swings slow and low.

HH! [:)
In the Zone with the Garrett carrot!

My Finds Gallery

cliff1

Post by cliff1 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:10 pm

New sticker applied
http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy25 ... 1390597717" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

x;

Return to “Garrett Forum”