Doing my head in !

Topics related to Garrett metal detectors here, off topic posts will be removed. Garrett Videos
Ryanlewis55

Doing my head in !

Post by Ryanlewis55 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:41 pm

Been metal detecting for 6 times now on the same piece off ground but every time I take a sweep the metaldector gets a beep but then I sweep again and it comes under iron. The ground is known as red soil (iron rich) but I've known many detectors on the land. Have I got a dodgey detector ? Is there anything I can do to solve this many thanks ryan. Also found nothing 🙄

tigerseeker

Re: Doing my head in !

Post by tigerseeker » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:45 pm

I'm new to this myself but have you tried putting some coins in your garden and seeing if your detector works OK?

I don't know what detector you have, mine is a Garrett Euroace and it has worked really well for me.
Garrett Euroace
Garrett Propointer II
Garrett Z-Lynk wireless headphones

meadowman

Post by meadowman » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:51 pm

Have you checked your ground balance ? Not suggesting that you haven,t but every swing
Does suggest a problem. Good luck and I suspect the more experienced will give you the
Solution ::g

dreadnought

Post by dreadnought » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:52 pm

hi mate, my 400i does this as does my new Q40, theres no explination in any user manual for this but i think its just the detector letting you know theres something there on a quickish sweep then when you concentrate on it, the machine sorts out what the signal is. i find when it still gives a good signal second sweep then its a good signal. if you dont want to dig it then just move on.
sometimes its worth just putting the spade in the ground and giving it a little wiggle, it will often give a different signal after that..
if in doubt push a decent coin into the ground and scan it, the signal will be constant and unchanging
no machine is infalable, no matter how much it costs. just persevere and you will learn it.
garret ATpro ::g
Quest Q40, awesome machine, never sell it, now the boys :: ::g
Kruzer…………. disappointing, sold ;;z
golden mask, don't even ask ;;z
GP pointer, 3 years and still going, now the boys. ::g
Nokta pointer, best there is ::g

fred

Post by fred » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:54 pm

dreadnought wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:52 pm
hi mate, my 400i does this as does my new Q40, theres no explination in any user manual for this but i think its just the detector letting you know theres something there on a quickish sweep then when you concentrate on it, the machine sorts out what the signal is. i find when it still gives a good signal second sweep then its a good signal. if you dont want to dig it then just move on.
sometimes its worth just putting the spade in the ground and giving it a little wiggle, it will often give a different signal after that..
if in doubt push a decent coin into the ground and scan it, the signal will be constant and unchanging
no machine is infalable, no matter how much it costs. just persevere and you will learn it.
Try varying your swing speed. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:56 pm

Just checking when you switched it on did you point it in the air? And made sure it was away from big metal things like cars, spades, etc. If you didn't start by doing that. If you did go to another field/ area/ garden and see if it does it there too. Always start with the basics, including checking your shoes have no metal in them at all (even eyelets can cause false signals). before you move onto deciding it's the detector at fault.

Good luck!
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 22 B-)

dreadnought

Post by dreadnought » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:04 pm

fred wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:54 pm
dreadnought wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:52 pm
Try varying your swing speed. ::g
have done this fred, the garrett manual suggests 1metre a second sweep, have speeded up and slowed down, still get this. think its just an ace foible
it doesnt worry me as as i said a second sweep generally sorts it out.
the OP doesnt say which garrett he has and none of the aces has ground ballance. the ground on my dorset permissions is very god at giving odd signals which even my deus wielding friend experiences.
garret ATpro ::g
Quest Q40, awesome machine, never sell it, now the boys :: ::g
Kruzer…………. disappointing, sold ;;z
golden mask, don't even ask ;;z
GP pointer, 3 years and still going, now the boys. ::g
Nokta pointer, best there is ::g

brianc

Post by brianc » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:05 pm

Hi Ryan,

I think if you let us know what detector make and model you have that will help out so that we can give you some advice.

Most makes and models of detectors have been owned by one or another of us on the Forum I'm sure.

It may be that you are reading a digital feedback, so I assume that you have a decent piece of kit.

Don't despair with the detecting, all will be revealed in time, I am sure!
Wandering off to the fields with my Makro Racer 2.

Although, I enjoyed the walk with my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV!

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:08 pm

If this happens "every time I take a sweep" then it sounds like something's untoward, but not necessarily with the machine. Which model do you have? There is no ground balancing required for the 400i, but maybe the AT Pro does? There could be interference from local sources such as power lines/electric fences/metal bits in boots etc etc but if you could describe the exact conditions under which this occurs then it might help narrow it down.
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

stanslad

Post by stanslad » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:29 pm

I have this on some fields near Banbury,
full of sandy iron stone soil,
It's worse if the field is dry, but slowing the sweep speed down helps & don't be afraid of missing finds by turning the sensitivity down,
If there's a good metal find down there, it will still find it.
With the dry ironstone ground, sweeping to fast & sensitivity turned right up, the poor detector hasn't got enough time to process the signal & so gives chatter & false info.
the ground will be wet soon & the sweep speed can get faster & sensitivity can be turned up also,
Keep at it & look forward to seeing your great finds soon.
Clint ::g

coal digger

Post by coal digger » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:08 pm

150, 250,350,300i,400i, AT pro????????,the model may help bud,cd ::g
Never wish this day gone, as this day can never be replaced

Ryanlewis55

Post by Ryanlewis55 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:48 am

Sorry lads locked myself out! It's a Euro ace. And I've got the bigger coil that comes with the kit ? I don't think I've got a broken detector because it dosnt beep when I hold it in the air! And I havnt got metal in my shoes learnt that one the first day I had it with my steel toe caps haha ! How low should I turn the sensivty down ? Do you think it's worth selling and buying a better quality one? It's beginning to put me off and the annoying thing is I'm a beginner and got lots of good land ! Cheers

Nectardetector

Post by Nectardetector » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:20 am

Could be coke infested ground a used to run my euro ace with two bars sensetivity notch off seemed to work spot on try find a new field c if it's just that field mate
Year 5
Gold hammered =1
Silver hammered =150
Gold sovs=2
Gold medieval rings =2
Roman silver =3

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:13 pm

The Garretts are good reliable machines. I strongly suspect the problem is a mixture of the ground "red soil (iron rich)" and your technique.

You say "Been metal detecting for 6 times now on the same piece off ground " but also "got lots of good land", so unsure if you have only tried this one area with the problem or if other sessions in other areas have been OK.
IF its been OK in other areas then the problem is obviously not the machine but the ground causing you problems.
If you have not tried other areas do so - if possible where you know the ground is different soil type.

As others have said you need to turn the sensitivity of the machine down. On the Ace 250 which I used they suggest running at 2 notches down (6 out of 8) and this made no noticable difference in depth to running at max. Looking at the screenshots in the Euro Ace manual I see they are all 5 out of 8.
I will highlight this from the manual "Use lower sensitivity levels in locations where the detector is behaving erratically due to excessive metallic trash, highly mineralized soils" (my underline).
As for how far to turn it down, just reduce it gradually until the the false signals are at an acceptable level.

A fast swing always makes issues like this much worse, so try swinging slower, this will also increase you chance of finding the smaller targets.

You said "I've got the bigger coil that comes with the kit", the standard EuroAce package only has one coil, but if you have 2 try using the smaller coil as that will reduce the problem cause by mineralised ground.

Finally you say "Do you think it's worth selling [the detector] and buying a better quality one?". No. The Garretts are great starter machines. Learn the basics first and once you have been detecting for a decent while you can then decide is the hobby really for you or not, and then if it is should you upgrade.

If you have not done so go to the official Garrett Euro Ace page and read the stuff on there and watch the videos.
http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_e ... in_en.aspx
Above all read the manual, then reread it!.

Evan

ivortripod

Post by ivortripod » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:35 pm

If you're still getting problems, I would also phone Regtons on 01213592379 Garretts main UK dealer

Shanebasing

Post by Shanebasing » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:11 pm

alright mate had the same problem with my euroace detector kept going off all the time.
the best thing which worked for me was have it in all metal mode and turn the sensitivity down so its 3 bars from the end and slow the sweep down,you will hear the iron tones and when you get the mid to high tone or double ding do short sweeps side to side to locate it.

Return to “Garrett Forum”