Broken coil

Please only post topics here related to metal detecting tips and tricks & D.I.Y
Welsh brew

Broken coil

Post by Welsh brew »

Hi hope you all had a nice xmas...went out yesterday with my garret euroace and managed to break the plastic light on the coil
Absolutely gutted ,but just wondering of anybody has any.ideas how to fix it.all help would be appreciated.thanks in advance.

TinTin

Re: Broken coil

Post by TinTin »

I did a similar thing to a coil on one of my old detectors and like you was gutted, I found a company that repairs motorcycle fairings and plastics (Plastic Surgery Malvern ) he has the facility’s to weld plastic and made a first class job.
I think he charged me about £10 - £15 for the repair.
Hope this helps
TinTin
Sometimes even the devil on my shoulders whispers.... WTF are you up to now

maylandmanta

Post by maylandmanta »

I presume you mean the lug and not light as per your post . A lot of what glue to use depends on the type of plastic and you may have to experiment a bit with different glues.Some have said Epoxy (Araldite) works but I usually find it to hard and will not adhere correctly to plastics even after a good roughing up first. Have had some success with plumbing waste pipe solvent if its an ABS type of plastic. Alternatively have a look at this :- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Minelab-Equi ... SwwH9d9r43
I haven't a clue if it would fit but may give you some ideas, or you may be able to adapt it with a bit of filing etc.

geoff

Post by geoff »

You can try using a soldering iron and zip tie as filler rod to weld plastic.
Etrac , AT pro & equinox 800, c scope.

Pete01

Post by Pete01 »

Theres already been some good suggestions mentioned above that you could try and what I think I would try if the machine is not under warranty is a combination of the above stated solutions- buy a piece of perspex/ acrylic sheet and bend it in to a sqaured off 'U' shape of the appropriate size using a heat gun or an oven to soften it first and then drill the holes for the coil bolt. As some people appear to have had issues with different glues failing after a little use you could try fixing the home made bracket to the coil with a couple of strong cable ties in an 'X' shape to hold it in place as well as some type of glue!. I'd probably just try cable ties on their own first to see how the fix would hold up becasue it could be that they would do an adequate job by themselves- you could even make the bracket a bit longer and add some more cable ties in front and behind the bracket to try to minimize the bracket slipping. You'd probably have to replace the cable ties every now and again as they wear out and become loose but it's not much hassle and they are cheap enough!.

principia

Post by principia »

I am not sure if it fits.....
XP and if ,I am correct, Minelab do sell coil repair kits for around 20 euro
reparatie.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Et qui quærit, invenit
XP Deus , 11" X35, hf eliptical
C Scope CS6MXi
Deteknix X-pointer, XP MI-6

Welsh brew

Post by Welsh brew »

Thanks for all your replies and tips.has now been fixed by hubby ,hopefully as good as new ::g

Return to “Tips & DIY Forum”