Surf PI 1.2 Birthday Build

Please only post topics here related to metal detecting tips and tricks & D.I.Y
Midlifecyclist

Surf PI 1.2 Birthday Build

Post by Midlifecyclist » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:58 pm

I recently started to get the urge to take up metal detecting, I have an old basic Bounty Hunter but it's seen better days and has been in the shed rotting for decades!

Reading this forum and a few other websites, I spotted the Surf Pi 1.2 kit and living near the beach thought this could be a good, cheap, way to get detecting.

Only one problem, I don't know one end of a soldering iron from another. Luckily a good friend of mine is a electronics genius and having chatted with him about it he secretly bought a kit for my 50th Birthday and one for himself.

Here's his write up on how he built it, he's just joined the forum too so will probably be able to answer any questions.

Can't wait to use it!

http://www.robfrench.co.uk/node/78

Fusion

Re: Surf PI 1.2 Birthday Build

Post by Fusion » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:20 pm

Tell Rob: Very nice work with the vacuum table, former, and moulding. I guess he's taken inspiration from Don Bowers, a regular on the Geotech1 forum? He's on here, too, DobyBowers is his handle.
I have considered a vacuum-forming setup myself, I have a spare 50 litre compressor that's probably unrepairable. But there are small scale vac-forming companies that cater for the model-building trade, and it would be simpler to use them, I feel. One I was thinking of was Sarik:
http://www.sarikhobbies.com/

My own Surf PI kit is still languishing unbuilt, too many other projects and demands on my time mean it gets left for 'a winter project' , 2025 probably.

If I could make one suggestion - turn the crutch tube round, so the bend moves the coil forwards. Just drill out the handgrip rivet, swing it round, re-rivet, ditto the elbow-cup.
:(

Return to “Tips & DIY”