Pinpointer hard wearing cover

Please only post topics here related to metal detecting tips and tricks & D.I.Y
Timmy 64

Pinpointer hard wearing cover

Post by Timmy 64 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:24 pm

I've got a dues pinpointer the mi6 with the plastic cover so to make it last in put a syringe a Big One from hospital .I cut 30 mm from the bottom and file down around the edge so not to catch around the pinpointer holder and it is a push on to the pinpointer no problems.Ps don't forget to cover the hole at the of the bottom of the syringe. And it is hard wearing B-)

Swany

Re: Pinpointer hard wearing cover

Post by Swany » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:33 am

Sounds good mate, I use covers for my garrett carrot that are made from heat shrink material, but eventually wear out. Any chance of posting pics of your creation :D

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:45 pm

Wear out a pinpointer ?

Are you using it to dig the hole :))

Try using a spade ::g

I’ve used a whites pinpointer for 20 odd years , it’s virtualy good as new

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:54 pm

Probes do wear, it's worth protecting them.
I wore out my original Garrett Propointer in about 6 years, to where the black potting compound resin was showing through the case. Hertfordshire soil is quite stony, flints etc.
My solution was to remove the pointless 'sifter blade' so the probe tip is round, then put heatshrink tube on the end 60mm, secured with a bit of evostick or similar. It seems to last quite well, maybe because it's a bit rubbery, but it's easily replaced when necessary.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:10 pm

Ahhh,perhaps practicing better pinpointing is your answer.
Dig the target out, and gently sift through the soil with the pinpointer, honestly can’t imagine one ever wearing out .
But best of luck protecting it ::g

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:29 pm

Practice better pinpointing?
This topic has been debated ad infinitum in many threads. Pinpoint probes have many uses, almost all of them are completely unrelated to the ability/inability to pinpoint correctly with your main detector.
One of my earlier posts:
"I detected for quite a while without using one, and knew a guy who had been detecting for 20 years without, so it seemed unnecessary. But I sometimes gave up on a hole, because I had no idea where the target was, if it existed at all. And I damaged the occasional find during recovery. I bought a better detector, and a probe came with it. Only then did I realise they had several other uses.
Advantages:
a)finding targets in the sidewall of a hole
b)verifying the target is in the bottom of the hole
c)allows you to close in carefully on the target, avoiding damage to it
d)very shallow targets can be precisely pinpointed before digging, reducing digging
e)a probe will often find things in the spoil-heap more easily than the traditional methods
f)on pasture, the target is often in the turf. A probe will help you extract it without ripping the turf into bits
g)on park land, for example, where broken glass, sharp metal rubbish etc, occurs, a probe will minimise how much handling of the dirt you do.
h)where multiple targets occur, eg. a nail and your intended target, the probe will allow you to seperate them.
i)in woodland, where roots are a problem, the pointer will help you negotiate the roots, so you can just shift the earth where needed, minimising damage to the roots, and time spent.
j)they usually have an LED torch in them, which is handy in fading light, or in a deep hole

Disadvantages include:
a)it's one more thing to carry
b)and one more thing with a battery that might go flat/get left at home/etc
c)they are easy to lose, tread on, etc
d)they can slow recovery, due to the 'inching in on the target' effect
e)some of them have a beep you can't turn off, which may not always be ideal
f)expense
g)they won't always find the tiny targets

Regarding how your detector pinpoints, I have done tests that show a coin at 10 inches depth can pinpoint 5 inches off its true location if it's at a steep angle. That can put it in the sidewall easily.This applies to buttons, too.

And thanks for your lucky wishes. It's still going strong 3 years after I started using heatshrink sleeve protection.
Last edited by Fusion on Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

f8met

Post by f8met » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:40 pm

I have wear on mine after 3 years. Just brushing it around the hole does wear it. I have heatshrink and eventually the tip wears through.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2018 52 Hammered

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:44 pm

Great post above by Fusion about the pros (many) and cons (a lot fewer) of a pinpointer.

But I did find his last comment very interesting -

Regarding how your detector pinpoints, I have done tests that show a coin at 10 inches depth can pinpoint 5 inches off its true location if it's at a steep angle. That can put it in the sidewall easily.This applies to buttons, too.

I got a Nox 800 a couple of months ago and was impressed by the accuracy of the pinpointing, then the other week had a spell where I was well out every time!, above could explain it as on the whole been very accurate since.

I know in the past I found pinpointing could be out on a steep bank - solved this by holding the coil parallel to the bank.

Evan

Return to “Tips & DIY”