Simple Photo Tips – Smartphone

Please only post topics here related to metal detecting tips and tricks & D.I.Y
Dave8472

Simple Photo Tips – Smartphone

Post by Dave8472 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:50 am

Hi all, this is a simple photo taking guide for smart phones. It is just for new users with no enhanced gear etc. ::g

Firstly I don’t do Youtube, so no point subscribing to my channel, this is just where I dump the odd video for random things once every few years x;

It was also done for my detecting club when I was the finds officer, so sorry about the references to additional work on the pictures that I was referring to for club nights etc.

I use a DSLR myself, but many don’t have these.

Hope it is of use to someone to take a simple no frills picture. Only thing you need to do is crop the picture down to size, lots of guides about on how to do that…

PS turn the sound up and click HD ::g

r;[ Don’t forget to add your scale next to the find l;/

Dave ):=

Minelab CTX3030 : 17", 11", 6" Coils
Minelab Equinox 800 : 15", 11" Coils
XP Deus V3.2 - WS5 : 9" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS

krip2454

Re: Simple photo taking tips on a smartphone

Post by krip2454 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:05 pm

Very useful video that Dave. Many thanks for that. Have also posted it on my club Facebook page. ::g
XP Deus & Garrett 350 Euroace
XP MI-6 Pinpointer
Much modified Spear & Jackson Border Spade
And lots of patience... :-w

Doyoudigitman

Re: Simple photo taking tips on a smartphone

Post by Doyoudigitman » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:48 pm

Great info thanks for that Dave ::g

Junior

Re: Simple Photo Tips – Smartphone

Post by Junior » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:01 am

Carnt get any volume on my phone .... phone media fully up ...and tried speaker on vid screen on/ off....nowt ::g

Bors

Post by Bors » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:28 am

A Very handy & informative Video . ::g

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:41 am

Junior wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:01 am
Carnt get any volume on my phone .... phone media fully up ...and tried speaker on vid screen on/ off....nowt ::g
I’ve just tried it on my iPhone and it’s all ok. Might be worth trying it direct via the YouTube app

Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS

Kritika

Post by Kritika » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:26 pm

Hi Dave8472

I was taught to do this with an IPhone and Mug by a coin dealer many years ago, and I have been doing it this way for years, with perfect pictures every time.

But may I respectfully point out that in you Video you have missed a vital Step that completely avoids having to crop the "In focus" photo later.

Step 1. put coin on the wood table in centre of shot (Same as you did)

Step 2. Pinch Zoom with your two fingers on the screen and zoom in on the coin to make the coin the final size you want it to look in the photo. You may need to nudge the coin slightly so its exactly in the centre of the shot (Unfortunately this is the vital zoom stage that you missed in your Video)

Step 3. Tap the screen in the centre of the coin and the camera will automatically focus on the coin perfectly and adjust lighting (Same as you did)

Step 4. Take the photo (Same as you did)

Try it, and you will see the photos are crystal sharp and you will have no need to zoom in and crop afterwards as the coin is already the right size in the photo.

I hope you don't mind me pointing this out, but its a pretty vita and handy step.
XP Deus 11' x35, NCMD Member, full of hope and generous nature ::g

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:26 am

I’m happy for any tips and suggestions that helps members out, ::g

It was just something I quickly knocked up for a club member who was struggling to get a good clear picture. I used to do the cropping after they posted me the picture. They weren’t very good with tech and so I kept it as simple as possible.

Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:02 am

Hi Dave,

Great video! I was doing something similar by using a couple of tall glasses to support the phone, but this is even easier lol...

Any suggestions with regards getting a photo with white back ground to come out decent?

The reason I ask is that my gridded scale is on white paper, and I've noticed it causes the same issues you mention in the video...

Regards,

Peter
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:35 pm

Thanks Peter, I’ve given up trying to do it from the camera side of things and do all the tweeks in paint shop pro.

Firstly I photo on glass, see my advanced photo thread :

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=30171

Basically small tweeks to mainly contrast and brightness will increase the background to a more white appearance. I then use the cut command to remove the bulk of the “off white” and the fill command to replace with white, and have that blend the coin etc. It is easy with anything dark like copper, much harder with silver. For the later I use things like draw and spray to remove anything.

To sum up, it’s all a bit trial and error, good luck ::g

PS with my PAS records I actually add the scale on afterwards, it does require some maths skills to work out the scale correctly.

Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:21 pm

Pete E wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:02 am
Hi Dave,

Great video! I was doing something similar by using a couple of tall glasses to support the phone, but this is even easier lol...

Any suggestions with regards getting a photo with white back ground to come out decent?

The reason I ask is that my gridded scale is on white paper, and I've noticed it causes the same issues you mention in the video...

Regards,

Peter
Dave has a lot more patience than I have.

For those who want the easy option buy this item to give a proper background for photographing items. I use this one .... https://www.pasthorizonstools.com/Credi ... p/bwcc.htm

No glare, perfect every time ::g And with scale :D
XP Deus !!£$

Hammered silver 2019 - 6

Dangerous Norman

Post by Dangerous Norman » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:07 pm

Pete E wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:02 am
Hi Dave,

Regards,

Peter
One tip to get a better exposure on white paper is as Kritika has mentioned to pinch zoom to fill the screen with the item. The phone will expose for the item rather than the item. Additionally you can use pieces if black/coloured card to cover the surplus white area and that may well improve the exposure. All you then need to do is crop out the black/coloured card leaving only then white area surrounding the item.

Careful pinch zoom is usually better than un-zoomed then cropped as you are left with more pixels in the image.

Dangerous Norman

Post by Dangerous Norman » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:42 pm

Dave8472 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:35 pm
Thanks Peter, I’ve given up trying to do it from the camera side of things and do all the tweeks in paint shop pro.

Firstly I photo on glass, see my advanced photo thread :

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=30171

Basically small tweeks to mainly contrast and brightness will increase the background to a more white appearance. I then use the cut command to remove the bulk of the “off white” and the fill command to replace with white, and have that blend the coin etc. It is easy with anything dark like copper, much harder with silver. For the later I use things like draw and spray to remove anything.

To sum up, it’s all a bit trial and error, good luck ::g

PS with my PAS records I actually add the scale on afterwards, it does require some maths skills to work out the scale correctly.

I have just checked out you link to the 2012 thread, some good info. I personally use RAW files & Photoshop CC which I find excellent for editing. I have to say using RAW files and your own post processing usually gives far better punchier photos than in-camera processing. You really should try it although not really necessary for recording finds.

I tend to use PNG rather than jpg as jpg is very lossy, also with PNG you can save with a transparent background or have several background layers one of which may suit the item better.

I have various camera stands/tripods with Arca Swiss QR for quick interchangeability plus a microscope camera which zooms in so far I need to stitch something like 25 photos just to cover a single hammered penny, gives unreal detailed close up images.

This is taking things to the extreme for MD but I enjoy photography so combining both is good fun.

As for adding scale I have several photoshop files or the scale ruler which a add & when processing, takes maybe 20 seconds.

I enjoyed you tutorials, thanks for sharing them.

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:48 pm

I tend to use PNG rather than jpg as jpg is very lossy, also with PNG you can save with a transparent background or have several background layers one of which may suit the item better.
Yep 100% agree, since my earlier posts I have also been using PNG, its a great format, and as you say does transparency so much better than the restrictions on using GIF's, I still use JPG's at 0% compression for my web site stuff, as I haven't found the time to swap formats due to the large amount of pictures involved ::g

Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS

Dangerous Norman

Post by Dangerous Norman » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:00 pm

Dave8472 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:48 pm
Yep 100% agree, since my earlier posts I have also been using PNG, its a great format, and as you say does transparency so much better than the restrictions on using GIF's, I still use JPG's at 0% compression for my web site stuff, as I haven't found the time to swap formats due to the large amount of pictures involved ::g

Photoshop can batch convert from/to any format but you won't gain anything in detail as the jpgs will have lost it already even at minimum compression. Photoshop CC is ongoing monthly payments for always up to date software. Gimp may also do batch convert and that's free and very good.

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:04 pm

I've got some of those little rulers Cath, handy out in the field to ::g

I do my scales all via HTML using little pictures. it allows me to do both PAS and web site ones ::g

There is a technical issue that I have to do the PAS ones with the scale at the top, but my FLO doesn't mind and I like to be different or awkward depending on ones view :))
PS the scale isn't right on that second picture just in case someone spots it :))
001.jpg
002.jpg

PS to DN, yes I know about batch conversion, but changing HTML code for over a 1500 JPG's would kill me lol

Made up by lots of these
003.jpg
Last picture as I have used my 4 up for today rl;
004.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS

Return to “Tips & DIY Forum”