This really does work

Please only post topics here related to metal detecting tips and tricks & D.I.Y
Post Reply
Macroman
Posts: 373
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:27 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 148 times

This really does work

Post by Macroman » Mon May 28, 2018 8:06 pm

At long last the weather god has decreed an edict that we are getting a proper Summer..(we hope)!!!.... which brings to mind that it will bring out all the nasty irritating bugs !!
Having lived and worked in Southern Spain for over ten years I discovered a brilliant and inexpensive way to keep the little critters at bay, and here's how.
1)...buy a small plastic atomiser...very cheap at Wilco's
2)buy some concentrated ( English) lavender water... available on e-bay.
3)fill atomiser with 50% lavender water...and top it up with tap water.give yourself a good spray around the forehead, neck,cuffs and ankles..and that's it..simples :D
I got to know about this when visiting Spanish friends and noticed that they had lavender growing at various stratigic points around the swimming pool area...and upon asking it was explained to me that it's a natural deterrent against mosquitoes and the like.
Give it a try...you won't be disappointed.
Thanks for reading,and good hunting... ::g



User avatar
Roughwood
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:48 am
Location: Norfolk
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: This really does work

Post by Roughwood » Mon May 28, 2018 9:45 pm

Great advice - I'll give it a go.
Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus
Makro Racer 2
Nokta Pinpointer

User avatar
the-roman
Posts: 811
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:56 pm
Location: Somerset
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 123 times

Re: This really does work

Post by the-roman » Mon May 28, 2018 10:15 pm

I was using this last year and yes it did work. I need to get a new atomiser as the old one broke when I left it in the boot and dropped things on it. =))
Only the best, XP Goldmaxx power .... F.I.D member ::g
And a proud member of the best club in Somerset, Wessex Searchers MDC ::g
www.wessexsearchers.club

User avatar
coal digger
Posts: 3250
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:23 pm
Location: Earth
Has thanked: 117 times
Been thanked: 191 times

Re: This really does work

Post by coal digger » Mon May 28, 2018 10:29 pm

i'll try anything to stop the horse flies chewing me and walking round like i have leprosy,cd ::g
Never wish this day gone, as this day can never be replaced

User avatar
Allectus
Posts: 24767
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:37 am
Location: Essexshire ;-)
Has thanked: 494 times
Been thanked: 2907 times

Re: This really does work

Post by Allectus » Mon May 28, 2018 10:30 pm

I'm going to be trying this. I had a right turn out last summer with those Vulcan bomber shaped things with green backsides!

Strange they were too.....One or two started buzzing me before a few more turned up but never settled on me...this went on for about 15mins or so, then they start to settle, then they start biting!! ;;z

Anyone know what they are??

Cheers MM ::g

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

User avatar
alloverover
Posts: 10350
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:49 pm
Has thanked: 296 times
Been thanked: 741 times

Re: This really does work

Post by alloverover » Mon May 28, 2018 10:36 pm

You will all smell like my Granny =)) =)) just get some Deet ::g

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_ ... f-lavender

User avatar
Allectus
Posts: 24767
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:37 am
Location: Essexshire ;-)
Has thanked: 494 times
Been thanked: 2907 times

Re: This really does work

Post by Allectus » Mon May 28, 2018 10:48 pm

Forgot to say.... they're about the size of a housefly with transparent mottled camo wings, twist, turn & hover like nothing man could ever replicate & the bites/stings were not overly painful but, more than enough to see you of the field & ruin your session!


A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

Macroman
Posts: 373
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:27 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: This really does work

Post by Macroman » Tue May 29, 2018 12:36 am

Stay with it you guys....it actually works!!... ::g ... brilliant hunting guys/gals..and many thanks for your comments.. ::g

User avatar
Easylife
Posts: 2957
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 526 times
Been thanked: 1419 times

Re: This really does work

Post by Easylife » Tue May 29, 2018 12:41 am

They use lavender in the fly repellent for horses, but that concoction also includes cold tea. :D
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & MI-6. %)=
White's TDI SL
White's DFX
White's Classic III SL

User avatar
Easylife
Posts: 2957
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 526 times
Been thanked: 1419 times

Re: This really does work

Post by Easylife » Tue May 29, 2018 12:54 am

Allectus wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 10:48 pm
Forgot to say.... they're about the size of a housefly with transparent mottled camo wings, twist, turn & hover like nothing man could ever replicate & the bites/stings were not overly painful but, more than enough to see you of the field & ruin your session!

A ;)
Like this? :))
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & MI-6. %)=
White's TDI SL
White's DFX
White's Classic III SL

knotalot
Posts: 972
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:27 pm
Has thanked: 365 times
Been thanked: 420 times

Re: This really does work

Post by knotalot » Tue May 29, 2018 1:10 am

That`s is one of if not the best post i have seen on here :)) :)) :)) :)) how many of these am i allowed =)) =))

User avatar
liamnolan
Moderator
Posts: 10429
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:06 am
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland
Has thanked: 588 times
Been thanked: 478 times
Contact:

Re: This really does work

Post by liamnolan » Tue May 29, 2018 7:59 am

Easylife wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 12:54 am
Allectus wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 10:48 pm
Forgot to say.... they're about the size of a housefly with transparent mottled camo wings, twist, turn & hover like nothing man could ever replicate & the bites/stings were not overly painful but, more than enough to see you of the field & ruin your session!

A ;)
Like this? :))
Fantastic, still trying to not laugh, Liam =))
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

User avatar
sweepstick47
Moderator
Posts: 8149
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:21 pm
Location: North Lincolnshire
Has thanked: 996 times
Been thanked: 1714 times

Re: This really does work

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue May 29, 2018 9:11 am

'Easylife', what are you like! ::g That brightened-up my morning muchly! ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

User avatar
Mancave-man
Posts: 518
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:40 pm
Has thanked: 246 times
Been thanked: 238 times

Re: This really does work

Post by Mancave-man » Tue May 29, 2018 2:16 pm

That is very funny Easylife. A real treat!!! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Me and my boy
Posts: 1312
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:53 pm
Has thanked: 489 times
Been thanked: 523 times

Re: This really does work

Post by Me and my boy » Tue May 29, 2018 10:03 pm

Allectus wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 10:30 pm
I'm going to be trying this. I had a right turn out last summer with those Vulcan bomber shaped things with green backsides!

Strange they were too.....One or two started buzzing me before a few more turned up but never settled on me...this went on for about 15mins or so, then they start to settle, then they start biting!! ;;z

Anyone know what they are??

Cheers MM ::g

A ;)
Allectus, they sound like deer flies.
I once had the Privilege of Working in a poly tunnel with 300 plus emerging horse flies that seemed to be taking a fancy to me, and the old chap I was helping said they’ll be alright just carry on( whilst he stood at the door) on the outside.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2018 hammies. = 130 (including quarters, halves and broken) not including the Saxon
Saxon = 4
Celtic. = 3
Silver denarius = 1
Gold Roman = 1
Gold ring. = 0

User avatar
Allectus
Posts: 24767
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:37 am
Location: Essexshire ;-)
Has thanked: 494 times
Been thanked: 2907 times

Re: This really does work

Post by Allectus » Tue May 29, 2018 10:14 pm

Easylife wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 12:54 am
Allectus wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 10:48 pm
Forgot to say.... they're about the size of a housefly with transparent mottled camo wings, twist, turn & hover like nothing man could ever replicate & the bites/stings were not overly painful but, more than enough to see you of the field & ruin your session!

A ;)
Like this? :))
That's em! Just like that, although I don't think their heads were quite like that? :)) :)) ::g
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

User avatar
Allectus
Posts: 24767
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:37 am
Location: Essexshire ;-)
Has thanked: 494 times
Been thanked: 2907 times

Re: This really does work

Post by Allectus » Tue May 29, 2018 10:19 pm

Me and my boy wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 10:03 pm
Allectus wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 10:30 pm
I'm going to be trying this. I had a right turn out last summer with those Vulcan bomber shaped things with green backsides!

Strange they were too.....One or two started buzzing me before a few more turned up but never settled on me...this went on for about 15mins or so, then they start to settle, then they start biting!! ;;z

Anyone know what they are??

Cheers MM ::g

A ;)
Allectus, they sound like deer flies.
I once had the Privilege of Working in a poly tunnel with 300 plus emerging horse flies that seemed to be taking a fancy to me, and the old chap I was helping said they’ll be alright just carry on( whilst he stood at the door) on the outside.
Someone in the pub said dearfly but, I thought he'd made it up & was talking cobblers.....he usually does. :))

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

User avatar
Me and my boy
Posts: 1312
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:53 pm
Has thanked: 489 times
Been thanked: 523 times

Re: This really does work

Post by Me and my boy » Tue May 29, 2018 10:22 pm

Allectus wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 10:19 pm
Me and my boy wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 10:03 pm
Allectus wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 10:30 pm
I'm going to be trying this. I had a right turn out last summer with those Vulcan bomber shaped things with green backsides!

Strange they were too.....One or two started buzzing me before a few more turned up but never settled on me...this went on for about 15mins or so, then they start to settle, then they start biting!! ;;z

Anyone know what they are??

Cheers MM ::g

A ;)

Allectus, they sound like deer flies.
I once had the Privilege of Working in a poly tunnel with 300 plus emerging horse flies that seemed to be taking a fancy to me, and the old chap I was helping said they’ll be alright just carry on( whilst he stood at the door) on the outside.
Someone in the pub said dearfly but, I thought he'd made it up & was talking cobblers.....he usually does. :))

A ;)
Perhaps he took this picture
2018 hammies. = 130 (including quarters, halves and broken) not including the Saxon
Saxon = 4
Celtic. = 3
Silver denarius = 1
Gold Roman = 1
Gold ring. = 0

Macroman
Posts: 373
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:27 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: This really does work

Post by Macroman » Wed May 30, 2018 12:41 am

Well the topic caused awareness....great !!...but at the beginning of your Metal detecting treck...don't forget to spray on your lavender water....good hunting.. ::g

User avatar
Albus
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:46 pm
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: This really does work

Post by Albus » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:03 pm

I like to have my wife walking behind me waving a huge Peacock fan to keep me cool :))

User avatar
skythepig
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 10:22 pm
Location: Bude
Has thanked: 176 times
Been thanked: 140 times

Re: This really does work

Post by skythepig » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:49 pm

Horse flies are a right pain this time of year. My wife has a horse and for 6 or 7 years we have made our own fly repellent for the horse and us.
2 litres of strong cold tea
50ml of Avon So Soft Skin Oil
30 drops of citronella oil
Give it a good shake and put in sprayer and apply all over
It works for us and the horse. :;@
XP Deus, a different ball game.
Equinox 800 still learning but getting there
Sovereign Elite
Bad Back and dodgy knees

User avatar
fred
Posts: 7236
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Has thanked: 992 times
Been thanked: 3451 times

Re: This really does work

Post by fred » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:12 pm

I was bitten to bits by horseflies whilst working on a farm. I have a suspicion that they probably came off worse than I did though. :D
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

User avatar
Phil2401
Posts: 1194
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:31 pm
Has thanked: 688 times
Been thanked: 613 times

Re: This really does work

Post by Phil2401 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:22 pm

There must be variations between individual people that attract horse flies, mosquitos, etc. - something to do with pheromones or whatever - but I've never been bitten when using just the usual off the shelf Deet sprays - mind you I'm naturally repellent to most living things...

Phil
Quaerite et invenietis

Minelab Equinox 800
Deus Lite
Deeptech Vista Warrior

Garrett carrot
Fond Hope

Ladybird66
Posts: 1026
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:03 pm
Has thanked: 304 times
Been thanked: 672 times

Re: This really does work

Post by Ladybird66 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:35 pm

I’ve read it’s the body heat that attracts them. Seems about right with me and my Hubby. I’m always warm, he’s always cold.
I get bitten, if it bites it finds me. Hubby seldom gets injected, if he does there’s very little reaction.
What amazes me is how the bite through your clothes. x;

User avatar
oldartefact
Posts: 7530
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:31 am
Location: Gods own county - numero uno!
Has thanked: 1315 times
Been thanked: 1039 times

Re: This really does work

Post by oldartefact » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:39 pm

Lads in Lavender rl; ::g ::g ::g OooO OooO OooO
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

User avatar
THE MOLE
Posts: 3615
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:10 am
Location: out and about.
Has thanked: 132 times
Been thanked: 167 times

Re: This really does work

Post by THE MOLE » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:38 am

Just using the Force Image

User avatar
iDetect
Posts: 202
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:02 am
Location: Wigan
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: This really does work

Post by iDetect » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:42 am

I find the best defence agai st bug bites is to have my good lady wife by my side. Never once have the bugs stung, bitten or bothered me when we are together. Instead they attack her mercilessly. .??
Mark in Wigan
"All the gear and no idea"

Equinox 800 - SuperblueS Headset
PI XPointer - Evolution Blade - Evolution Sand Scoop
NCMD Member

User avatar
Steve_T
Posts: 1803
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:54 pm
Location: Wiltshire
Has thanked: 517 times
Been thanked: 930 times

Re: This really does work

Post by Steve_T » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:19 am

Here is some info in the link, although chances are you will only know after it hurts which is to late when and what has bitten you!

They are at their peak in July so prevention is better than cure, there is a high likelihood that people will get bitten, there has been some great tips given ::g

http://influentialpoints.com/Gallery/Ho ... rflies.htm

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

User avatar
SuperRed
Posts: 1333
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:07 pm
Has thanked: 1955 times
Been thanked: 603 times

Re: This really does work

Post by SuperRed » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:39 am

Phil2401 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:22 pm
There must be variations between individual people that attract horse flies, mosquitos, etc. - something to do with pheromones or whatever - but I've never been bitten when using just the usual off the shelf Deet sprays - mind you I'm naturally repellent to most living things...

Phil
When I lived in Denmark an elderly lady who saw my friend and I night fishing asked why I was wearing a mosquito net around my hat and he wasn't. The mossies (who seemed the size of a small aircraft) never touched my friend. She told us categorically that it was a question of vitamin B (can't remember if it was 12). No idea how scientifically true that is though.
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

Et scrutatus est, et inventum: et effossa

Post Reply

Return to “Tips & DIY Forum”