Metal Detector Electrical Interference Problems

Please only post topics here related to metal detecting tips and tricks & D.I.Y
garrettoldboy

Metal Detector Electrical Interference Problems

Post by garrettoldboy » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:05 am

hello, looking through some of my early references of the above i remember on many digs and rallies where this happened like near over head power cables and between detectors, we called it detector chatter, now with modern computer types and even some analog ones this can still be a problem so here is what we used to avoid and maybe worth a try, BUY SOME CLIP ON CABLE E M I NOISE SUPPRESSOR FILTERS, i have put one just above coil and 1 below the box on my Garrett, cheap to buy various sizes and colors, PS CAREFUL NOT TO PINCH THE DETECTOR CABLE,

jcmaloney

Re: Metal Detector Electrical Interference Problems

Post by jcmaloney » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:49 am

Basic electronics say these will not work to any great degree.
They are just graphite tubes that "shield" the couple of centimetres they actually cover.
The coil, control box and uncovered cable will still be susceptible to EMI.
It would be more prudent to have a machine that has the ability to find a frequency that is less affected by the EMI source.
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:59 am

hello thankyou to reply, there are very few machines you can actually stop the interference but as i said it is worth a go for such little cost, i found it worked to some degree and back a few years on this very forum it was was suggested by other members.

Koala

Post by Koala » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:33 am

There have been many thread on many forums on these

For most people they make no difference.

There is one exception and I have no idea why it works. Some people with slightly faulty chattery coils seem to see a small improvement.

fred

Post by fred » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:24 pm

garrettoldboy wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:59 am
hello thankyou to reply, there are very few machines you can actually stop the interference but as i said it is worth a go for such little cost, i found it worked to some degree and back a few years on this very forum it was was suggested by other members.
The only way to completely stop EMI interference is using a metal detector which has the capability to cut out the frequencies on which there is interference. I would certainly have hoped that most modern middle and high end detectors would be able to do this. ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:46 pm

True Fred, and it's good to see that more manufacturers are starting to make more progress in this matter ::g Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

f8met

Post by f8met » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:06 pm

Not much use for these on the deus ::g

However, I do get lots of interference from electric fences and close to railway lines. I tend to avoid the fences unless I know they are off as It is a waste of time trying to detect close to them.
Dave
Deus, 9" black coil + Elliptical hf
2018 19 Hammered

Beer should be liquid bread, not coloured water

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:28 pm

hello, dave with your Deus check out a U tube video by Mental Metal on how he avoids interference with his Deus and electric fence ( under ground) but i am sure would also help with above ground fencing

fred

Post by fred » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:42 pm

This sound like an advertisment but the Equinox has a really effective noise cancel setting. Provided that you noise cancel near the source of the interference then you can completely eliminate it. Overhead power lines, electric fences, pinpointers and other detectors are no longer a problem. ::g

The only thing that I struggle with is my mobile phone. It seems to pole for a signal at irregular intervals but I can't noise cancel quickly enough to catch it doing so. :D
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

Wormdigger

Post by Wormdigger » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:41 am

In some cases, newer machines with higher sensitivity can be more of a problem. I have a field with two lines of pylons through it. With my AT Pro I could get up to about 10m from the line of the cables before having to turn down the sensitivity. It was still possible to search. Since I "upgraded" to a Nokta Impact, I can't get anywhere near them :(. No amount of frequency changes/sensitivity adjustments help at all.
Nokta Impact, Deteknix wireless headphones, Nokta Pointer and worm digging equiment. Ibanez RG 1570Z when it is raining.

Wormdigger

Post by Wormdigger » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:50 am

Sorry if I am taking this a little off topic, but where is the interference actually picked up? Is it the coil or the control box, or both? Perhaps a Faraday cage around the control electronics may help? :-/
Last edited by Wormdigger on Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nokta Impact, Deteknix wireless headphones, Nokta Pointer and worm digging equiment. Ibanez RG 1570Z when it is raining.

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:12 am

hello, interesting about the faraday cage, i see you can get ones for phones etc, maybe a control box cover can be made ?????,

Return to “Tips & DIY”