Spade Carrier 1.0 (Video added)

Please only post topics here related to metal detecting tips and tricks & D.I.Y
Jeffdsolo

Spade Carrier 1.0 (Video added)

Post by Jeffdsolo » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:12 pm

With the better half laid up with a nasty cold, I couldn't get out this weekend as I had the kids to care for. So this morning I occupied them in my workshop while I had a bash at a spade-carrying idea I've been mulling over.
Being on the taller side, I find using a full length spade the best option for me, and up until now have carried it in my left hand. Having both hands occupied is not ideal though.
Others have mentioned a rifle sling, but my thought on this was that I could imagine hooking my headphones off, which would be annoying, and getting very dirty from the spade.
Also the sling may get annoying while digging.
The shoulder carry concept is good though, so that has formed the basis for my design.

Here's what I've done. The blade slips into a pocket that keeps the dirt away from me, and then the handle end has a small strap that fixes on a stud at my shoulder.
This way, I release the shoulder stud and the spade lifts free.
The material used is a thick rubber epdm roofing membrane, tough, cleanable and flexible.
I'm looking forward to giving it a go in practise. I'll certainly report back on how it is working for me!
thanks for looking,

Jeff

Last edited by Jeffdsolo on Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Minelab X-Terra 705

Bors

Re: Spade Carrier 1.0

Post by Bors » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:04 pm

Hi Jeff , while I think your workmanship is very well done and 10/10 for effort put in to creating it . One thing I personally am struggling with is . You say,..." The blade slips into a pocket that keeps the dirt away from me, and then the handle end has a small strap that fixes on a stud at my shoulder.
This way, I release the shoulder stud and the spade lifts free. ".

OK I get that . Now , where I`m struggling with about the practicality side of it is. Assuming like most people are digging say every couple of minuets, how is the spade replaced in the carrier at the rear of you "easily" when its slung behind you ?
Its not going to be easily accessible from what I can see to slip the blade in without taking it off as the carrier is fixed on the belt so that means taking the belt off surely to get at the spade blade for replacement. ,unless you can put me right,this is where it
seems it would be a time consuming exercise every time you wanted to sheath the blade unless you then decided to carry the spade which would render the spade carrier pointless. ?
Another point is that I like detecting with as little weight to carry as possible , to my way of thinking I carry only whats absolutely necessary, isn`t your spade carrier only going to create more weight to hump about and be like having a "crow" sitting on your shoulder ?
I sincerely do apologise if I`m sounding negative on all your creative hard work but It just struck me when I saw the photo`s of access to putting the spade back seemed like it would be quite hard work and not an easy slip it back in so to speak..

Jeffdsolo

Post by Jeffdsolo » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:38 pm

Thanks for yours comments Bors, I completely understand your thoughts on the practicality of using it, and I was hoping people would share their opinions etc.

What I have found though in testing the carrier, is that it is really easy to take out and replace the spade. Yes, the blade sheath is behind you, but the action used is much like and archer taking an arrow from a quiver on his back, or putting one back in. The difference is that the sheath is down at belt height, which means that if needed you can just pop your left hand back to guide the blade into the generous opening.
Perhaps I should try and take a video showing taking it off and on. Might make more sense then! :)

As for the weight... The holder itself doesn't weigh much at all, and can probably be lightened further by judicious trimming of the rubber in a few areas.
The spade, you are carrying anyway, and my thought is that it is generally easier carrying things closer to your own centre of gravity, and also not having to grasp it.

With your point about the spade being in use every couple of minutes, yes I can see times on busy ground that it may be kept out for a bit. I think that on pasture though where a lot of ground is covered between signals it would be well used, and also if there is any kind of walk to the permission/correct field/beach it would be great to have a hand to open gates etc.

Thanks again for commenting, and I promise to be candid after a field test! :D

Jeff
Minelab X-Terra 705

Bors

Post by Bors » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:52 pm

Good man. Although I seriously doubt if I would be able to be as accurate as you in sheathing the blade. I probably would spend more time attempting to sheath it but missing it as these days putting my arm behind my back enough to hold the sheath would be ,well "difficult" ,to say the least.
Look forward to any little clip you may make showing the procedure anyway. ::g

Kefyn

Post by Kefyn » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:03 pm

After a few hours detecting my spade almost turns into a walking stick!
A nice invention though. I like 'tinkering' with stuff too! 😊👍

JLSeagul

Post by JLSeagul » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:43 pm

Nice work !! looks very comfortable ,I tend to just swing my shovel over my shoulder.
What caught my eye is the plastic foot plate protector that you've attached to the spade to stop it cutting into your boot or welly. I have ruined so many wellies due to the spade .Did you buy the foot protector or make it ? how is it attached to the shovel shaft ? any info would be great - your very clever and inventive, thanks for sharing your ideas.

Jeffdsolo

Post by Jeffdsolo » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:15 pm

JLSeagul wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:43 pm
Nice work !! looks very comfortable ,I tend to just swing my shovel over my shoulder.
What caught my eye is the plastic foot plate protector that you've attached to the spade to stop it cutting into your boot or welly. I have ruined so many wellies due to the spade .Did you buy the foot protector or make it ? how is it attached to the shovel shaft ? any info would be great - your very clever and inventive, thanks for sharing your ideas.
Thanks JLSeagul. The boot guard was a recent addition too. Here's the relevant post:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=109282#p967523

Jeff.
Minelab X-Terra 705

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:27 pm

I drag my spade behind me, it leaves a nice line in the soil that is often still visible weeks later, weather permitting, that helps me avoid bits I've already detected.

Me and my boy

Post by Me and my boy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:17 am

I like your efforts involved and really don’t want to sound negative but on a honest constructive critisisum bassis.
The spades more what I would use to dig a hole to plant a tree than to use to detect with. I personally like the drapper mini digger. It’s very lite, strong and small. Doesn’t fatigue my arm at all, even after two hours and I agree with the walking stick and dragging behind marking bit.

What happens with all the mud dropping of into your hair when going over your head?
Does it still go in sheath when it is covered with two kilos of mud?

And lastly on a more personal note I don’t like tooling up with all the belts and straps which make me feel I’m going for a month not a few hours. I like the freedom.

It’s everyone’s personal choice but the whole set up reminds me of a police mans belt, ie a holder for ever gadget available.
I just like to go lite.

If you can develope a pair of wellies that don’t hold mud,
A spade that doesn’t clog up and a coil cover that doesn’t increase in weight by a kilo with excess sticky clay I’ll have one of each 😀

Top efforts though.
2019 hammies. = 121 (including quarters, halves and broken)
Saxon = 1( broken sceatta)
Celtic. = 1
Silver denarius = 4
Gold Roman = 0
Gold ring. = 0
Gold hammered .= 1😀

tyneoharrow

Post by tyneoharrow » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:42 am

What a great piece of kit! Well done ma man. I wonder which manufacturer will be the first to run with this idea? Get your patent in NOW. B-) ::g I disagree with me and my boy's prognosis, what's a bit of mud in your hair when your whole body might be caked in it anyway? We wouldn't do this hobby if we didn't like a bit of mud! You can always promote a bottle of Head and Shoulders free with every one sold, way forward my man, way forward! :D

Jeffdsolo

Post by Jeffdsolo » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:14 am

Me and my boy wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:17 am

The spades more what I would use to dig a hole to plant a tree than to use to detect with. I personally like the drapper mini digger. It’s very lite, strong and small
I agree with the walking stick and dragging behind marking bit.

What happens with all the mud dropping of into your hair when going over your head?

And lastly on a more personal note I don’t like tooling up with all the belts and straps which make me feel I’m going for a month not a few hours. I like the freedom.

It’s everyone’s personal choice but the whole set up reminds me of a police mans belt, ie a holder for ever gadget available.
I just like to go lite.

Thanks for the comments and feedback, really appreciate it.
When it comes down to it, what we take with us and use is very much based on personal choice and comfort, and my post was certainly in no way to suggest that "everyone should have this". :)

To address the above points made by 'Me and my boy' :
I have a draper mini, but I find it just too short for my frame. I work with tools all the time, so at present at least, I don't find my big spade a burden. As for dragging it behind, yes I can see a benefit to that on soil. My permission is on pasture however, and that's what was considered in the design. If I get the opportunity to detect on ploughed etc, I'll see how it works in that situ.

As for mud dropping in your hair... The movement I use to sheath and unsheath doesn't pass the blade over your head. 😊 I must get a vid clip done to demonstrate. 😊
Mud on the blade... Again, not something that has presented a problem on pasture. Maybe on plough I would carry a little spade clearing tool on my belt.. 😉

Lastly the point about belts and tooling up. Brings us back to preference really doesn't it? I'm very much a belt man, always have one on, and usually a knife on it. 😊 Maybe it's like my security blanket? :D And yes, it is a policeman's belt. ::g

Like I said, I'll be field testing the setup, and I'll be honest about how I get on. I don't expect every idea to be a win. Have a great day,

Jeff
Minelab X-Terra 705

Me and my boy

Post by Me and my boy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:01 pm

Jeffdsolo wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:14 am
Me and my boy wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:17 am

The spades more what I would use to dig a hole to plant a tree than to use to detect with. I personally like the drapper mini digger. It’s very lite, strong and small
I agree with the walking stick and dragging behind marking bit.

I just like to go lite.

Thanks for the comments and feedback, really appreciate it.
When it comes down to it, what we take with us and use is very much based on personal choice and comfort, and my post was certainly in no way to suggest that "everyone should have this". :)

To address the above points made by 'Me and my boy' :
I have a draper mini, but I find it just too short for my frame. I work with tools all the time, so at present at least, I don't find my big spade a burden. As for dragging it behind, yes I can see a benefit to that on soil. My permission is on pasture however, and that's what was considered in the design. If I get the opportunity to detect on ploughed etc, I'll see how it works in that situ.

As for mud dropping in your hair... The movement I use to sheath and unsheath doesn't pass the blade over your head. 😊 I must get a vid clip done to demonstrate. 😊
Mud on the blade... Again, not something that has presented a problem on pasture. Maybe on plough I would carry a little spade clearing tool on my belt.. 😉

Lastly the point about belts and tooling up. Brings us back to preference really doesn't it? I'm very much a belt man, always have one on, and usually a knife on it. 😊 Maybe it's like my security blanket? :D And yes, it is a policeman's belt. ::g

Like I said, I'll be field testing the setup, and I'll be honest about how I get on. I don't expect every idea to be a win. Have a great day,

Jeff
Hi Jeff, all good valid responses. I understand it’s place and being well suiting to your permissions and with regards to your height.
Good luck when next out. 👍
2019 hammies. = 121 (including quarters, halves and broken)
Saxon = 1( broken sceatta)
Celtic. = 1
Silver denarius = 4
Gold Roman = 0
Gold ring. = 0
Gold hammered .= 1😀

Jeffdsolo

Post by Jeffdsolo » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:45 pm

Ok so here's the demo. Please ignore my swing, that's down to camera nerves. 😊
Also please bear in mind I only made it yesterday, and I'm still getting used to it.
I had a few minutes out on the fields at lunchtime, and here is my assessment of how it worked :

First thing that struck me was that it felt great to have a hand free, and although I wasn't carrying any less kit, it felt like I was.
Second thing I noticed was that I need to add an alignment stud to the shoulder, as the spade handle began to travel to the right a little as I walked. Another stud will keep its strap in place.
Third thing was that I immediately realised I needed to be able to take out the spade with my left hand, which is fine, as shown in the video.

So anyway, so far so good, couple of tweaks and I'll be looking forward to using it some more. 😊

Jeff.

Minelab X-Terra 705

targets

Re: Spade Carrier 1.0 (Video added)

Post by targets » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:05 pm

there is a belt hanger to hang your spade on thats available.clips onto belt behind
' hammys how i love ya, how i love ya my dear old hammys '

Bors

Re: Spade Carrier 1.0 (Video added)

Post by Bors » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:33 pm

Well you can`t get it better in practice than that . And you proved your point, well done Jeff. ::g

Return to “Tips & DIY Forum”