Ultimate Detectorists Photographing Finds Guide

Please only post topics here related to metal detecting tips and tricks & D.I.Y
hihosilver

Ultimate Detectorists Photographing Finds Guide

Post by hihosilver » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:51 pm

STILL PHOTOGRAPHY SECTION

***Please note that everything below is a work in progress and I will update this daily when I get the free time. Hopefully people's suggestions, ideas, hints and tips will roll in and I can update this as we go. I realise others have done guides as well, so I hope I cover things here that others haven't as yet. As with everything there will be spelling mistakes, the odd link not working, etc. Bear with me as I add to this post. There are basic and more advanced tips mixed in with this text. I will refine everything as much as possible over the next few days to make it a bit clearer based on any feedback. Pictures will be added once I have time to either take some, or find royalty-free ones on the web.***

Lets start off with some info about me, as you are trusting my opinion on the following information. (It's a bad thing to start with this for a new thread but let's get it out the way straight off. :)) I'm not a pro photographer but I know all the basics which is more than enough for taking a good picture of most subjects. I've done photography courses at school and university, done the odd wedding photographer role, and a fair bit of macro-photography (close-up work) in my 32 years of existence. You can see a very small selection of my images here: http://goo.gl/4yCPR (Close-up pics are in the 'Insects' and 'Watery' sections.)

Hopefully some of the information below will be of use, as I'm not good at identifying items (like others on this forum), I'd like to contribute in some other way. There are lots of guides on the web with the same info, but this will hopefully be a bit more concise and relevant for the average detectorist. If you want to take some good shots, then spending a few minutes reading the relevent section will no doubt improve your technique or help you find the right piece of equipment for the job. I won't cover every aspect of photography so all you pro's out there can relax (or complain that I missed something important later on in any posts below). ;)

For some, taking a decent picture is easier than others. There are certain concepts most don't know about when taking a shot, so I will list a few here at the top for easy reading:

First and foremost... the forum has limited capacity for files, but if you wish to upload a few pictures (4 per day in total) directly to it, then these must be less than 600(w)x850(h) pixels and 300kb in size or you will get an error. If you decide to use an external website you can link as many as you like.

------

Tips/basic info:
  • Mobile phone cameras have a delay, from the time you hit the button, to the time it takes the shot. You must hold as still as possible, in a lower lit environment (indoors) to take a shake-free image with the majority of lower end models.
  • You may know the size of your object but others most likely won't. Put something commonly recognisable in the shot, like a ruler or a modern coin, so that everyone else can get a sense of the scale too. You can even print out scale sheets if you wish for a more professional look. You can get a few, along with more details here: http://www.vendian.org/mncharity/dir3/paper_rulers/
  • For close up pictures depth of field will be more obvious (the amount of depth from the camera lens that is in focus) making parts of your subject out of focus.
  • For a cheap and cheerful macro shot, try using a magnifying glass or jeweller's loupe in front of the lens.
  • Direction of lighting or reflected light can ruin a photo. Your eyes and brain can adjust what you see instantly, a camera cannot. So what YOU see, isn't what you will get as a final picture.
  • Just because your device wasn't made for the job, doesn't mean it can't take a great photo, it just takes more effort.
  • Something with 1mp (1280x960 megapixels) or greater is recommended. Having more mp doesn't mean the photo will be necessarily better or clearer. It depends on how large a scale you are going to blow up your image. Having more mp allows you to edit a picture easier after the fact. If you take a pro photo in the first place, you're halfway there already. :D
  • There are common limits on widths for websites. Some people view websites on their mobile phones/tablet pcs which in general have a lower resolution than larger desktop screens. Without these limits you would be constantly scrolling from side to side to read them, or the text would be so small and illegible. You will want your images to be under 600x600 pixels for the purposes of posting on this forum, so you won't lose any visual detail.
  • Your hands will shake, it's a fact, unless you have died (check that pulse quick X:) ). And the camera might pick up on this (depending on the quality of camera, lighting level, aperture setting, etc). Steady your hands/arms when taking a shot by bringing them closer to your body, resting against something that is static, or by using a tripod. Alternatively you can put the camera down totally on a stable surface and use the self-timer. For another DIY option try out 'Billy Doyle's' setup: http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/vi ... 42&t=29847
  • Having a non-white background will make it easier for your automatic camera to set the correct aperture and light balance.
...Continued in next post...
Last edited by hihosilver on Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:54 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Current setup:
XP Deus v2.0, GARRETT Pro-Pointer
MD'ing since Sept '11

Previous:
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett EuroAce, Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Etrac

www.wessexsearchers.club

hihosilver

Re: Ultimate Detectorists Photographing Finds Guide

Post by hihosilver » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:51 pm

What is your budget?

Low budget/free (under £50):
  • Option #1) Most people already own mobile phones with a camera. If it has a macro mode then turn it on for your shot, as it will be 'off' by default.
  • Option #2) If it doesn't have a macro mode you can take a photo from a normal distance and crop it in some editing software. Make sure your subect is in focus. You need to have plenty of light on the subject you are trying to take a picture of, and keep everything still while you take the photo. Don't forget that the way these cameras work, they don't take the photo the moment you press the button, so hold still for a second or so after pressing the button or on-screen shutter button. Holding your breath may help steady things. Turn off the flash (or cover it up with something that will diffuse the light), shine an alternative light on your subject. Use a bedside lamp or other improvised light source. The camera flash is bad for close-up photography as it shines directly at the object giving a harsh look to it.

Don't forget... take multiple shots with different settings. It doesn't cost you anything, and you can pick the best ones out afterwards. Don't just take multiple shots on the same setting, unless you have a problem with it being in focus.
  • Option #3) For mobile phone users is a little '0.67x wide angle lens+macro' lens (pictured below), for about £3-4 that allows attachment over your phones camera using a magnetic ring. The lens can be unscrewed and the bottom part functions as a macro lens. Re-assembling it allows for wide angle shots (not of macro subjects). This is great for high quality budget shots.
Example:
  • Option #4) Another option is to buy a usb microscope (pictured below) which you connect to your pc. Good for flat objects like coins. Not so good for large artifacts. Decent quality.
Example:
  • Option #5) Alternatively you can use a flatbed scanner. Sometimes they can give even better results than most cameras. Minimal focussing or lighting issues with these and great for creating quick images of flat objects, such as coins or tokens. Not much use for relics. A good alternative to a camera.
  • Option #6) Some video cameras/camcorders have a still image button. These can also be used but are a lot more fiddly than a dedicated photo camera. Low quality.
  • Option #7) Lastly a webcam can be used as a still camera. Plenty of free software online that will take snaps at the press of a button. Low quality, avoid if possible.
***What if I already own a DSLR camera? What options do I have?***
  • Option #1) Close-up filters that screw on to your current lens.
  • Option #2) M42 AF confirm adapter. Allows the use of older (and cheaper) M42 screw thread lenses, including macro lenses. You will have to do everything manually this way with the camera in 'manual' mode.

Medium budget (£50-199):

Please note that it's really not necessary to have a great camera just for the purposes of taking photos of your finds. If you are going to be using it for other activities (holidays, day to day life, etc) then it may be a good idea to get a camera from this section.
  • Option #1) In this price range a good option is a compact camera with a macro mode.
  • Option #1) Manual or Auto-focus extension tubes that increase the distance between your current lens and the camera body to increase magnification of close objects.

Large budget (£200+):

Please note that it's really not necessary to have a great camera just for the purposes of taking photos of your finds. If you are going to be using it for other more advanced activities (studio shots, or are just a keen photographer, etc) then it may be a good idea to get a camera from this section, which will cover most, if not all your needs.
  • Option #1) In general a DSLR camera wont set you wrong. Not advisable if you are only taking pictures of finds (unless its your job), due to the cost. A DSLR camera has advanced funtions that in general require a basic knowledge of photography. Having said that, many popular camera brands have been bringing out advanced devices tailored for total novices that still give great results. In this category you do get what you pay for though. The lenses are usually the most important part of kit. A good macro lens will set you back several hundred (if not thousands) of pounds.
  • Option #2) If you want a DSLR on a budget then I suggest you buy a good quality camera body without a lens. Buy an M42 screw mount which allows the use of older screw thread lenses. Then go to a local car boot sale and look for people selling old cameras. In general a lot of them used M42 mount lenses. You can buy these for as little as a few pounds and they give excellent image quality. The only down side is you have to do everything manually this way, but it's a lot cheaper.
  • Option #3) There are also more expensive compact cameras that offer advanced features. These cameras aren't normally as advanced as full DSLR's but are much more compact, and lighter in weight. You won't get the same quality as a decent DSLR though.
  • Option #1) Dedicated macro lens.

Last edited by hihosilver on Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:07 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Current setup:
MD'ing since Sept '11

Previous:

www.wessexsearchers.club

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:52 pm

Other options for you to consider, and google for yourself :) (ranging from £0+):
  • Use a magnifying glass in front of your camera lens for a quick and cheap macro shot.
  • When you want to get the best bang for your buck, buying second-hand can be a good route to take. Just remember to do your research thoroughly before purchasing as more than likely there won't be any warranty to fall back on.
  • Macro rings in between your lens and the camera body.
  • Close-up filters that attach to the thread of your current lens.
  • Reverse lens mount (a.k.a. reversing ring) for really high magnification shots.
  • Macro ring flash.
N.B. The quality of your lens glass, and the amount of light it lets in are important factors, but for the purposes of taking a decent image for the forums it's an afterthought.

Taking your picture:

If you are considering sending your pictures to your local FLO (Finds Liaison Officer) or the PAS (Portable Antiquities Scheme) then it's suggested that you follow the guide on this link:
http://finds.org.uk/guide/torecording/p ... phingfinds
And edit your pictures accordingly:
http://finds.org.uk/guide/torecording/imageediting

Light
-----
Our eyes see light very differently to our cameras. You will want a soft light across your subject for a good effect. If your camera has a flash then you will need to diffuse that light by covering it up with a material that still allows light through, but isn't totally transparent. A white tshirt will do or a light coloured plastic bag with a rubber band to hold it in place. Just make sure no bits are covering the lens or the flash sensor. Also note that different sources of light (the sun, incandescant, halogen, etc.) produce different hues in coloured images.

Most software will allow at least a limited amount of colour changing abilites, but take into account the fact that your screen may show totally different colours to anyone else's, so unless you know the exact type of lighting and how to balance it out to look more natural, you are better off leaving this alone. Some have options to automatically make it look more pleasing. Experiment with your software for best results.

Depth of field
-----
Depth of field (or depth of focus) is the amount of the subject you are photographing that will be focussed in your image. The closer to the subject you wish to get, the more extreme the depth becomes, and therefore the less that is in focus. There are ways to get around this which will be covered in the 'focus' section below.

Focus (currently editing this section)
-----
Focussing is usually only a problem when you have a dirty lens or not enough light on your subject. So rectify these issues and try again. Another main problem could be camera-shake which, again, is normally due to a lack of light on the subject, and therefore your camera chooses to use a lower shutter speed to capture more light. As a rule of thumb, anything lower than 1/45th of a second will give some form of camera shake with the majority of photographers (unless some of the points in the 'tips' section above are followed). For older people with shakier hands then 1/60th of a second is recommended.

For normal macro pictures of flat objects with plenty of daylight on them, you can get away with a high ISO rating (eg. 100) with a decent aperture of around f.8 at 1/60sec.
For relics you will need to increase the 'f ' stop to a higher setting and experiment based on the lighting.

For extreme macro pictures (think taking pictures of hallmarks) with cheaper lenses you can always use a technique called 'focus stacking'. This is where you take a series of pictures with a tiny section of your object in focus, gradually moving forwards (or backwards) to take pictures of more parts that will be in focus. After you have done this you can take your images into an advanced photo editor like Adobe Photoshop and get the software to stitch these images together to form a fully focussed object. There is a decent guide here for more info: http://digital-photography-school.com/a ... s-stacking

Last edited by hihosilver on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:36 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Current setup:
MD'ing since Sept '11

Previous:

www.wessexsearchers.club

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:53 pm

What to do with your pictures?

Well, after taking that competition winning shot (or not) using one of the above methods you will want to transfer it to your pc/mac using the usb cable that came with your device, or a memory card reader (or in the case of something already attached to your pc they will already be saved to your computer's hard drive).

Once that's done you can manipulate your photo as much as you like. If you are a windows user then the 'Paint' program comes pre-installed and is easy to use. It's a basic program but it lets you resize, crop and edit most things. Don't forget most images you capture will be quite large in size, as well as the filesize. If you resize the image this usually makes the filesize smaller. There is a more advanced free version of this software (not made by Microsoft) called 'Paint .Net' (http://www.getpaint.net/), which is worth using if you find Paint a bit too simplistic.

A very simple way to resize your image, and not do anything else with it is to go to this site: http://www.picresize.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
upload your picture and it will convert it for you in seconds so you can post to the forums. For more info please check out 'Fishy's' great thread here: http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/vi ... 42&t=26482

Another option are paid pieces of software such as Adobe Lightroom, Adobe Photoshop, etc. These are usually advanced software packages, with lots of good guides and tutorials on the internet as to how to use them effectively. For the purposes of this article I won't go into more detail on them now.

When you are happy with your image, save it to a .jpg file as this is one of the web's most common formats.

Remove any personal info from the file:

If you don't wish to show any EXIF data, which is the information stored in the file saying when it was taken, any GPS location data, etc. then you must remove it before uploading to a site. This is a simple case of right clicking on your file and selecting 'properties', then move to the 'details' tab and at the bottom you should see the text 'remove properties and personal information'. Select the options you wish to remove and click 'apply'.

(N.B. This process will differ depending on which version of Windows you are using.)

Displaying your finds for all to see:

And finally in order to display your images in all their glory on the forums. You can easily upload your images to a number of free websites. A few of the main ones I will link below:

http://imageshack.us/
http://photobucket.com/
http://www.flickr.com/
http://picasaweb.google.com/ (Requires a free google account)
http://imgur.com/

The forum has limited capacity for files, but if you wish to upload a few pictures (3 per day in total) directly to it, then these must be less than 600x600pixels in size or you will get an error. I recommend 580x580pixels.

Once your files are safely uploaded you can start linking them to your new post on these forums.
  • Please select the correct forum to post in.
  • Start a new topic and give it an appropriate name.
  • Find the direct link to your file (usually ending in .jpg) and select the text. Copy it using Ctrl+c on your keyboard. Now paste it using Ctrl+v. In order for the link to show up as a picture you need to wrap the link in the image code. e.g [img]yourlinkhere[/img]
  • If the image is too big then you can always link the clickable thumbnail links or just post the full links directly in your post.
  • Click the preview button to check everything is good to go. If something isn't working then go back and check.
  • Then hit the 'Submit' button. Congratulations, now everyone can see your solid gold dubloons or your rusty iron in all its fantastic glory!!
Last edited by hihosilver on Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:31 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Current setup:
MD'ing since Sept '11

Previous:

www.wessexsearchers.club

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:55 pm

************This section is a work in progress... any suggestions or ideas welcome.*************

VIDEO SECTION

Many detectorists love to play around with gadgets. Coming under the heading of photography is the subject of moving imagery. You only have to look on youtube to realise just how popular certain finds or people's personalites can be so this next section will be dedicated to HD and standard definition video cameras. Taking video of your finds in-situ can also be handy when reporting finds to your local FLO.

While I'm not an expert on this either, I've dabbled in it a fair bit lately, so feel confident enough to give a bit of advice on a few issues.

Some of the main cameras you will come across will be devices that allow you to mount them on your body, or clip them on to something, and allow hands free recording. Just like the above photography section there are cheap versions and expensive models. There will be something here for everyone.

Several obvious important factors you will want to consider when buying a video camera for using when out and about are:
  • Is it waterproof?
  • Does it have a good framerate in poor lighting conditions?
  • Does it take an external memory card?
  • Will it have a battery which lasts long enough for my detecting session?
  • Is it easy to operate with muddy hands?
  • Is it light enough to clip on to clothing?
  • Is it pocket sized?
  • Is it shockproof?
Low Budget/Free: (£0-50)

Option #1) Top of the list without a doubt is the 808 #16 720p camera. This ultra budget camera packs a lot in for the money. They are only available from a popular auction site, and come from a far off land (Hong Kong/China) but for around £25 delivered they give excellent video quality and the sound is good too. For more info on these devices go to:
http://www.chucklohr.com/808/C16/index.html
They have been well known about for a long time, and are very popular with remote control enthusiasts, as they are very small, light, and good quality. Ok that's enough of the positives now here's a negative. The battery life is very short, but you can increase this using a standard USB emergency charger. Impartial video review here: http://youtu.be/sSg-8ktRq4U

Option #2) Using your camcorder feature on your mobile phone. It may not be the easiest thing to hold while digging, but you will most likely already know how to use it, and it's simple to operate.

Option #3) There are literally thousands of cheapo standard definition cameras out there for very little money. I'm not listing them all. 8-}

Medium budget: (£51-100)

Option #1) HD 720p camcorders.

Option #2) ...

Large budget: (£101+)

Option #1) GoPro Hero 2 (waterproof case optional)

Option #2) Contour HD 1080p

Option #3) ...

Camera mounts:

There are many ingenious ways to attach a camera to get certain angles or an interesting shot. You can go the home-made route, or the paid for route. Some cameras come with accessories in the box. Others don't. Accessories may include:

DIY cap mount (for walking/detecting) Video here: http://youtu.be/0bfyThhsgWE
Handlebar mount (good for shovel and detector stems)
Velcro (strong fixing to anything solid)
Suction cup mount (for cars)
Strap (for wrapping around anything you can think of)

Places to upload your video:

http://www.youtube.com/
http://vimeo.com/

Tips/Faux Pas:

-You don't want a mount that will flop all over the place, or worse, drop on the ground and break. Secure your camera formly to whatever you choose to attach it to.
-Take spare batteries with you if necessary. Charge the ones in your camera in plenty of time before your 'tecting session. Some brands seem to take ages to charge up.
-Take all images and video off your memory card before you go out for the next session.
-Make sure it really is waterproof. Those clouds that are far off may sneak up on you when you are doing your gold dance in the middle of nowhere.
-Keep your wits about you when in fields filled with animals. Randy bulls may appear faster than your legs may acknowledge while filming. :))
-Don't just post video of yourself digging a hole to Australia. We've all seen that terrible Joan Allen video.
-If you don't have anything interesting at the end of your hunt, at least sound like you have been enjoying yourself.
-A summary/round-up of your finds can be useful.
-If you are camera shy, stick to narrating from behind the camera. Nothing worse than some techno track playing over the top.

To add:

Video editing/uploading
How to take good video

--------------------------------------------

If you think I've forgotten to add something important, or have some useful info I could add, please write a response below.

Hope this helps someone. Thanks for reading.
Last edited by hihosilver on Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Current setup:
MD'ing since Sept '11

Previous:

www.wessexsearchers.club

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:00 pm

Wow... That's an impressive post, good one,thanks for sharing ::g

Dave ';

stephenbeetleman

Post by stephenbeetleman » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:04 pm

Lots of good info there and something we can all glean something from. ::g

Cheers

Stephen
Minelab Sovereign GT

SEF 15 X 12 Coil

Garrett Pro Pointer

GREGGOWREX

Post by GREGGOWREX » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:08 pm

=D> =D> =D> =D> Blinking well done for posting hihosilver ::g ::g ::g ...a great effort has gone into your posting ...And I hope that you get postee of the month for your helpfulness ... ::g ::g ::g
If I was to live to over 300 years old , would I end up in a museum ?
Euro tek pro 11inch coil
The early bird gets the worm , The second mouse GETS the cheese ;)

Danzigman

Post by Danzigman » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:16 pm

Hi HHS.. Thanks for a lot of work in this very informative post.. Love your Sunbathing fly.. ::g
John.
XP DEUS. GPP VII. GARMIN etrex 20.
http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/Danzigman/library/

Grifftron

Post by Grifftron » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:21 pm

excellent mate,

just a couple to add

Scanners instead of a camera, dead cheap and works great for nearly everything.

Microsoft Picture Manager is dead easy to use, crop and resize pics dead easy.

keep it coming.
ETRAC
Garrett Ace 250
Pro Pointer
Cider
http://griffsmetaldetecting.weebly.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.somersetmetaldetecting.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:23 pm

Haha thanks Griff I knew it would be the most obvious stuff I'd forget to add. :) Will add it now. :))
Current setup:
MD'ing since Sept '11

Previous:

www.wessexsearchers.club

kopparberg

Post by kopparberg » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:31 pm

what a super post alot of time and effort gone into it ,it should be really helpful to anyone struggling to take a photo . ::g something in here for everyone
CTX 3030
DEUS
MAKRO pro pointer
always live for today and worry about tomorrow when it comes

bob79

Post by bob79 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:13 pm

Agree with Gregg, should get Postie of the Month for that thread alone

Bob ::g

yellow

Post by yellow » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:07 am

Yes I agree with all of the above and think it's both a very well written and informative post(s).so thank you for taking the time to write it ::g very helpful to me as well as others.
bob79 wrote:Agree with Gregg, should get Postie of the Month for that thread alone

Bob ::g
Nice one Bob..at least I know you have read my post on the subject and ssshhhh can't tell you what's up for the title =))

Yellow [:)
Minelab Explorer se pro
Cp3tt chef phones and a garrett pro-pointer

GREGGOWREX

Post by GREGGOWREX » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:14 am

yellow wrote: ssshhhh can't tell you what's up for the title =))

Yellow [:)

a trip to the north pole for a cold SNAP :D
If I was to live to over 300 years old , would I end up in a museum ?
Euro tek pro 11inch coil
The early bird gets the worm , The second mouse GETS the cheese ;)

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:16 am

Thanks for the kind words folks. Have now added a video section to cover all bases. It's not complete but will keep adding bits as I think of them. More of a joking/lighthearted section at the end, so don't take it too seriously. h;@
Current setup:
MD'ing since Sept '11

Previous:

www.wessexsearchers.club

bob79

Post by bob79 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:27 am

Hi Ho Silver, have you got as many tips on the Deus as you have got for taking photos.

Bob :D

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:32 am

bob79 wrote:Hi Ho Silver, have you got as many tips on the Deus as you have got for taking photos.

Bob :D
Fraid not. :)) My Deus was only delivered on wednesday. Give me a few months on that one. :D
Current setup:
MD'ing since Sept '11

Previous:

www.wessexsearchers.club

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:53 pm

Added a section showing how to remove the personal EXIF data info from your file. This can contain the GPS location data of exactly where you took the photo, so if you took a picture of yourself grinning next to your newly found hoard, you will be better off removing this info before uploading. :D
Current setup:
MD'ing since Sept '11

Previous:

www.wessexsearchers.club

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:03 pm

The thread is going from strength to strength, well done ::g

Dave ';

kopparberg

Post by kopparberg » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:01 pm

lets get this back to the top lots of good info on taking good pictures
CTX 3030
DEUS
MAKRO pro pointer

kopparberg

Post by kopparberg » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:00 pm

up we go to the top
CTX 3030
DEUS
MAKRO pro pointer

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:01 pm

Hi, just for info the topic has been made a sticky in the announcement section of this sub forum, so it will always show at the top of that section ::g

Dave ';

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:18 pm

Cheers Dave. ::g
Current setup:
MD'ing since Sept '11

Previous:

www.wessexsearchers.club

geomorphicmat

Post by geomorphicmat » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:06 pm

HiHoSilver,
What a great post – I can only reiterate what everyone else has said and congratulate you with the depth of information you have included on this post.

I have recently started taking some photos of finds in an attempt to get them added to the PAS database. They are strict about how the photos are taken and so (just to avoid duplicating anyones effort in repeating taking photos), I would suggest that the following link is also considered on top of the post: http://finds.org.uk/guide/torecording/p ... phingfinds

There is also a link on editing photos also: http://finds.org.uk/guide/torecording/imageediting

Thanks again for a great post. GeomorphicMat

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:37 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words geomorphicmat. I have added your links to the guide as they seem very useful. Thanks also for bringing them to my attention. ::g
Current setup:
MD'ing since Sept '11

Previous:

www.wessexsearchers.club

Danzigman

Post by Danzigman » Sat May 11, 2013 9:43 pm

A littel "something" for the feinsmecker (German word for the nerd or geek ones) - http://www.staffordshirehoard.org.uk/af ... hotography" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ::g

Danzigman

Post by Danzigman » Sat May 11, 2013 10:54 pm

Danzigman wrote:A littel "something" for the feinsmecker (German word for the nerd or geek ones) - http://www.staffordshirehoard.org.uk/af ... hotography" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ::g
Look and enjoy - http://davidrowan.org/conservation/the- ... ire-hoard/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith » Sat May 11, 2013 11:30 pm

Impressive post.....a lot of time and effort has gone into that.......thank you hiho ::g

explorer II

Post by explorer II » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:28 am

Exellent guide thank you very much ::g

Return to “Tips & DIY”