Advanced Photo Tips – SLR Camera

Please only post topics here related to metal detecting tips and tricks & D.I.Y
Dave8472

Advanced Photo Tips – SLR Camera

Post by Dave8472 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:35 am

Advanced Photo Tips – SLR

Hi all firstly this isn’t a guide to taking general pictures, cropping, uploading etc, there are some great threads already on the forum for that. However you may be able to utilise some of this for your set up.

This was requested by “Danish John” as he has just ordered a new camera, what you will need, SLR camera, approx 50mm lens, x10 magnifier lens, lighting ring, Paint shop Pro 5.

Set the camera level on a tripod and use a spirit level to check, in front of a window, not direct sunlight as this is too harsh. Mount a piece of glass or Perspex with a couple of inches of gap between the camera and a white sheet of paper, this stops shadows. Use “Manual “everything on the camera settings, and fit the x10 magnifying lens, if you haven’t got one you will have to focus from much further away. PS I sent you the link for the cheap magnifiers on Facebook, lighting ring also from same auction site, think that was about £30, anyone needs details of these bits PM me.

Coins

Picture one shows the un-altered picture, aim for an exposure time of 1/100 sec, but with a tripod you can go lower, I also have a remote control to take the picture so can go much lower with no camera shake.

Picture two shows the picture after a “Flood Fill” with white and “Brightness & Contrast “ adjustments, this will give your picture more definition and look less flat, the values will depend on the brightness variations of the daylight on the day.

Picture three shows after the image has been “Gray Scaled”, you may think why on this coin ? but on some poor quality Silver coins that are very patchy it can improve the look of it, also I found after some time my collection on the web looked all different because of the varying lighting conditions, this uniformed all the images, on Silver artefacts I go one step future after this to alter the ”Gama Correction” and add a tiny bit of yellow back to the image to make it resemble the original item.

Picture four is the cropped to shape and re sized to 300 pixels which is what I use on my web site, a little tip on all “*.JPG” images is they need not be lossy, when saving adjust the options, normal compression quality is 15%, I use 10% for mine but if you set at 1% it is really good, but off course file size is larger.

Artefacts

Ok the problem here is depth of the item, if you used the above set up you will not get it in focus, although you can photo stack by taking more than one image at different focus and then use the draw program to cut them all together, I have done this but it is complicated. So take the x10 adaptor off and adjust the lens out to make a smaller image, this improves the focal range as picture five.

Now second problem is a dark side and a bright side, in conjunction with the light I use a LED lighting ring on the camera as picture six. PS Don’t use the lighting ring on flat items like coins as it will knock all the depth out of the item and make them look very dull and boring.

Repeat the same “Brightness & Contrast” adjustment and crop and you get picture seven.

Hope this all makes sense John, by the way Paint Shop Pro 5 is all I use, it is old and cheap to buy, but all what I have done can be achieved in most draw programs, any questions let me know.

Dave ';

Minelab CTX3030 : 17", 11", 6" Coils
XP Deus : 11", 9" Coils
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 10 GPS

GREGGOWREX

Re: Advanced Photo’s Tips – SLR

Post by GREGGOWREX » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:34 pm

Great posting Dave :D ::g
If I was to live to over 300 years old , would I end up in a museum ?
Euro tek pro 11inch coil
The early bird gets the worm , The second mouse GETS the cheese ;)

hihosilver

Re: Advanced Photo Tips – SLR Camera

Post by hihosilver » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:40 pm

Great info. Might be worth adding that if you shoot in RAW mode instead of JPG (if your camera supports this, most decent SLR's do) you can edit the file a lot easier after the fact. It's like a digital 'negative' of your subject.
Current setup:
XP Deus v2.0, GARRETT Pro-Pointer
MD'ing since Sept '11

Looking for a friendly club in the Bristol and Somerset area? Contact us at:
www.wessexsearchers.club

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:51 pm

hihosilver wrote:Great info. Might be worth adding that if you shoot in RAW mode instead of JPG (if your camera supports this, most decent SLR's do) you can edit the file a lot easier after the fact. It's like a digital 'negative' of your subject.
I used a poor choice of words there, thanks for pointing that out, I do have "RAW" on my camera but just use the best quality *.Jpg's I will edit that, thanks ::g

Thanks to the others for there comments ::g

Dave ';
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 10 GPS

Danzigman

Post by Danzigman » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:27 pm

Hi Dave.. Thanks a lot for your large work put in to this post for me ::g ::g - it turned out to be a great post.. Im sure I will have 1000 of questions, but I do them in Facebook or Pm to not make this a 1000 page post :D
I have done Very littel RAW shooting and non editing, So for me it will be jump out into the Unknown.. I used SLR years back, but this will be my first dSLR. It will come with a EF 70-200 f 4,0 IS UMS.. Not best lens for this job, but I will go out get a great makro Lens ASAP. - Please give me advise (we talk Canon) Unfortunately I haven found a hoard, so I cant buy them all.. :(
Anyway.. My great thanks for helping me on my way to be a better photographer.. Any one with reading this,with good advises - feel free to give me a bip on PM or Facebook..
Thanks - John - Denmark..
XP DEUS. GPP VII. GARMIN etrex 20.
http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/Danzigman/library/

fishy

Post by fishy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:30 pm

Good stuff ::g

Want one of those cameras :D
CTX3030

t140pete

Post by t140pete » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:40 pm

Great post Dave

Just a quick word for anyone considering RAW files -

RAW files are not "better", however they can capture more potential detail, and the white balance (among other settings) can be fettled post-capture. A RAW file is not processed in-camera, and therefore will need processing (contrast, colour, sharpening and such) before converting to a printable or usable-on-net file (eg .jpg). Great if you've got the time, are shooting in difficult light, and/or are printing exhibition landscapes/portraits; the magazines are IMHO obsessed with making everyone use RAW. By all means, give it a try and see if it works for you but I reckon life's too short to peel a grape.

.jpg files are processed in-camera, and with a few subtle tweaks (such as in the original post above), can be perfect for web, or to store in a finds archive. They're also more than good enough for most peoples' photography. ;)
Fisher 1236x2, Arado 120b, C-Scope 1220b, Whites 6000s3, and no land lol.

slinky

Post by slinky » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:45 pm

A decent free photo editing software http://www.gimp.org/
Its on par with photoshop..........but free ::g
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Christoph1945

Post by Christoph1945 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:53 pm

Super post Dave, thanks.

Chris

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:59 pm

Thanks Pete, I did try a few RAW files when I first got the camera with the Canon software but not needed for my use, but thanks for the info on what you can do with it, I didn't know that, the camera can also store a dual file of both file types, but just use JPEG now ::g as I very much an amateur photographer :) outside I just you auto everything, apart form my moon shoots :D

Dave ';
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 10 GPS

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:15 pm

No one wants to see pics of you mooning, Dave. :))

Danzigman I've pm'ed you a few options in your quest for macro photography options. ::g
Current setup:
XP Deus v2.0, GARRETT Pro-Pointer
MD'ing since Sept '11

Looking for a friendly club in the Bristol and Somerset area? Contact us at:
www.wessexsearchers.club

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:20 pm

hihosilver wrote:No one wants to see pics of you mooning, Dave. :))

Danzigman I've pm'ed you a few options in your quest for macro photography options. ::g
=)) =)) =)) me neither :-O

Dave ';
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 10 GPS

mantas

Post by mantas » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:50 pm

IMHO the best way to take photos of coins and small things is to use DSLR+macro lens, at the moment I am using canon 100mm usm macro lens and very glad with results
if you need more zoom, you can also use macro rings (Kenko for example with auto focus) for capturing more details
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Photo geek photography techniques and tips
income online get money from internet

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:32 pm

This has been a very good thread as i have just bought a decent camera and was not sure on how to take some decent close up images,what happens if i am not able to use natural light from near a window can i use some form of external light without altering the natural colour of my images.

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:28 pm

I have never perfected shots under just artificial light with a white background, it is probably possible with various different textured backgrounds, let me know if you crack it ::g

Dave ';
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 10 GPS

mantas

Post by mantas » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:04 pm

Mega B wrote:This has been a very good thread as i have just bought a decent camera and was not sure on how to take some decent close up images,what happens if i am not able to use natural light from near a window can i use some form of external light without altering the natural colour of my images.
my photo was made with simple internal flash which is in camera, the coin was laying on phone leather black case, all colours can be edited with photoshop or adobe lightroom, which I am using and strongly recomend.
Adobe lightroom is better for begginers.
adobe photoshop for advanced users
when capturing photo use tripod, because shaking hands can blur image(object)

Nailman

Post by Nailman » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:32 pm

Hi Mantas
That image is 100%. Your kit is 210% I do a lot of freelance photography using Cannon equipment, you probably use one anyway but a cable release is a good idea.
I sometimes use a copy stand with side lights,instead of the tripod would love a ring flash but to expensive.
You can also use extension bellows take a look at speed graphic website.
Once photographed 175 pieces of worked flint against a white background what a nightmare, a dark background is spot on
Fisher F75 SE
Xp. Adventis 2
Chefphones CP3
Chefphones Cp2
Evoloution spade
Bad back
Experienced button digger

diggerAU

Post by diggerAU » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:47 pm

excellent post. That coin is mint. :D
XP GMP
Pro Pointer
Some luck

mantas

Post by mantas » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:23 am

diggerAU wrote:excellent post. That coin is mint. :D
it really is, but I have to tell secret,- I have not found it, just bougt several years ago in carboot =))

Hiawatha

Post by Hiawatha » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:18 pm

I enjoyed reading that and all those great tips on photography ... Thank you ::g

Hiawatha

Post by Hiawatha » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:21 pm

Thanks Dave8472. That was an eye opener x;

ChefClay

Post by ChefClay » Tue May 26, 2015 3:09 pm

Thanks for this advice
Regards
Paul

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue May 26, 2015 11:53 pm

This is a very good post that I missed! Thanks to Dave and all those who added their input :g ::g ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Wed May 27, 2015 8:40 am

Thanks all, only change to this is I now use less natural light and more from the LED light. I also have a proper Macro Lens for the camera

A little Silver from last week

Dave &*(
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 10 GPS

Danzigman

Post by Danzigman » Wed May 27, 2015 8:51 am

Thanks Dave.. Lately we have developed really nice facebook group here... Photographing Artefacts and fossils..
Lots of LED light used in those photos.. -- I hope you will show witch one LED you use..
Also a lot of stacking used, specially if other things that a coin is photograpend.. stacking with 5 to 30 photos useing focus railing systemse.. Lots of experiments with LED and Light boxes.. Please share to inspire us.. -Thank you - John

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Wed May 27, 2015 9:07 am

Thanks John, I found this bell last week, c.19th century, I had to photo stack this, but it wasn't one of my better attempts, number two could have done 4 pictures for best effect

First picture 2 photo's added together
Second picture 3 photo's added together
Third Picture 2 photo's added together

Dave &*(
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 10 GPS

Danzigman

Post by Danzigman » Wed May 27, 2015 10:26 am

Yes Dave.. Specially on the photo from the top ( nr 2 photo) it can be spotted that the jump between exposure is to long. Also littel inside the bell. But still nice and clear photo.. Look forward to the LED instruction.. ::g

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Wed May 27, 2015 1:08 pm

Here is the LED Lighting ring, there a few to chose from, nothing expensive
light.jpg
Dave &*(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 10 GPS

Return to “Tips & DIY Forum”