Coke habit.

Please only post topics here related to metal detecting tips and tricks & D.I.Y
Desperado

Coke habit.

Post by Desperado » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:24 pm

Hello all...

I am new to decting and currently use a C-Scope 3mx, while this is a pretty good bleeper I am having trouble with coke. I can have my discrimination at 4 and still get a sharp audio response from this stuff. I have found Roman bronzes and a few hammered silver coins. But I think I could make ploughing obselte by the sheer amount of coke I am digging not to mention the large iron I'm unearthing. I have pretty much got the stuttery/spitting iron tone sorted but the coke is much harder to elimanate. I am considering upgrading machines. What I would like to know is..... is there a machine that will discrimanate coke or show it on a display as a numerical reading whilst at the same time not missing the coins???
All help would be gratefully recieved.

Nearly forgot... my budget would be around £700.(damn this obsessive hobby)!!uyko
Last edited by Desperado on Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tomcat-uk
Pastfinders Club Founder

Re: Coke habit.

Post by Tomcat-uk » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:43 pm

Hi,
I do have bad news for you!
Coke and Gold have the same sound and usually if you discriminate Coke out you will miss the gold finds. So like all of us out there, dig them. Oh and keep the pieces chuck them far away from your field. Soon most will be gone leaving you free to get to the real finds.
I collected a heap of the stuff on my one field , and nowadays I am glad I did!
TC
When in Doubt Dig.
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
I will either find a way or make one.
Teknetics T2

philip formby

Post by philip formby » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:00 pm

I have the same problem mate,
but i have gleaned this from trigger over at detecting wales forums,heres his quote about CS3MX
"When you locate a target that sounds quite good. If you slowly continue to raise the coil whilst slowly sweeping the target whilst slowing your sweep speed down to a slow movement. A good target,ie non ferrous,will still give a smooth response,which grows fainter the further you lift the coil. Where as coke will give a iffy tone or a one way signal before it disappears. Coke disappears quite quickly as you lift the coil.Unlike like that of a non ferrous target.
Iron gives a broken tone if it is a small lump,or if a large bit of iron,will give an iffy signal as you raise the coil."
C SCOPE CS3MX

Shufly

Post by Shufly » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:58 am

philip formby wrote:I have the same problem mate,
but i have gleaned this from trigger over at detecting wales forums,heres his quote about CS3MX
"When you locate a target that sounds quite good. If you slowly continue to raise the coil whilst slowly sweeping the target whilst slowing your sweep speed down to a slow movement. A good target,ie non ferrous,will still give a smooth response,which grows fainter the further you lift the coil. Where as coke will give a iffy tone or a one way signal before it disappears. Coke disappears quite quickly as you lift the coil.Unlike like that of a non ferrous target.
Iron gives a broken tone if it is a small lump,or if a large bit of iron,will give an iffy signal as you raise the coil."
A good tip, and one to remember OooO

Jetset Willy

Post by Jetset Willy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:25 am

My XLT LOVES Coke. Gives me the same sharp signal as a silver or Gold coin.

Just one of those things

ra-ma-ses

Post by ra-ma-ses » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:49 am

I had a similar issue with my V3 - but I can now ID it in analyse mode using the Polar Plot (which was part of the i-upgrade). It gives a distictive horizontal trace on the screen. Gold is entirely different so that isn't a problem for me now - but the V3i is an expensive bit of kit (but good used ones come up from time to time).
2010 hammie count - 24: 2011 = 1

Desperado

Post by Desperado » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:13 pm

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I will certainly try raising the coil over targets! I will let you know how I get on, might be a while though I'm off on my jollies tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Desperado

Post by Desperado » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:17 pm

Shufly....

I can't seem to reply to your message, sorry. A day detecting sounds great, will have to organise something when I return from holiday and have caught up with work!!

Kmarsh

Post by Kmarsh » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:51 pm

Yep, £50 or £1500 its the same for us all desperado. just plod on mate....dig and chuck... (:| (:|
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro.
Makro Racer.
Minelab Excalibur.

cassius

Post by cassius » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:02 pm

philip formby wrote:I have the same problem mate,
This is interesting.
I used to use an old non-motion machine for some years, and always used the above test to add weight to my suspicion of the signal. I dug a few hits to see what I was manually rejecting, and many times proved myself to be right. Now with a modern motion machine I find myself digging more coke than I would care to, and even with the above method in place, I can err on the side of caution and dig it anyway.
The only odd thing is the coke finds are always shallow, then and now.

coinwizard

Post by coinwizard » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:11 pm

As with anything, if in doubt dig it!!!! some machines are slightly better than others! my garrett 250 loved it but the xp GoldMaxx Power is not so bad, just big lumps or on the surface (which you can kick to one side to check),PS take them away or pile them up at the hedge if you indent to return makes like soo much easier.
Uk XP GMP user! Search! Search! Search! Brigantes Rule!!!

jones123

Post by jones123 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:12 pm

Has this stuff got any uses?
Can I save it up and burn it on the fire like coal?

fred

Post by fred » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:16 pm

coinwizard wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:11 pm
As with anything, if in doubt dig it!!!! some machines are slightly better than others! my garrett 250 loved it but the xp GoldMaxx Power is not so bad, just big lumps or on the surface (which you can kick to one side to check),PS take them away or pile them up at the hedge if you indent to return makes like soo much easier.
Some quite good machines don't find coke at all unless you want to. I still pick up the odd bit with the probe whilst chasing other signals so I know that it's there. :D

Of course it doesn't matter anyway if your fields don't have any coke on them. I have always presumed that it came from old fashioned traction engines but can't figure out why some fields have it and some don't.
Equinox 800 x2

Spade

Post by Spade » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:51 pm

Hi, maybe a used xp Deus? It has XY screen that is good for identifying coke. ::g
Xp Deus
Garrett pro Pointer ll

Detectski

Post by Detectski » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:56 pm

Maybe a used minelab fbs type detector, you won't even pick up coke.

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:06 pm

The fun caused by inappropriately bumping a 9 year old thread.
"can I burn it on the fire?"
Why not give it a try, see how it works out? It would be interesting to see if lumps that ID high up burn better than the low-reading ones. Some must be high carbon and not much else, others must still contain oily flammable material.

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:38 pm

I have a field littered with coke. First time the new owners deep ploughed it I was walking through loads of the stuff. (Just field walking)
I have since detected this field with 2 different Minelabs. The only signals I’ve had have been iron. Have dug several bits of iron slag and, in one corner of the field, bits of metal that I’ve been told are from a Smithy.
To add to my evidence, the next but one field, after the same deep plough had huge patches of red soil in it after we’d had a very wet spell.
Conclusion is Medieval Bloomery Iron. I believe it was quite a popular Cottage Industry before better methods of iron making were developed.
This could be the answer to Fred’s query. Also as Fred said and as far as I’ve heard, Minelabs are the only machine that will ignore coke. Except in Field 2 on the Equinox but it usually gives the same signal and number.
I know this post was made a long time ago but the questions are still the same now as then. Hence my response.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:45 pm

My White's DFX never saw any coke, I didn't know there was any on my pasture until I got a Deus. I never dig any with the Nox but my pinpointer picks it up. :D
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Mancave-man

Post by Mancave-man » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:39 pm

Easylife wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:45 pm
My White's DFX never saw any coke, I didn't know there was any on my pasture until I got a Deus. I never dig any with the Nox but my pinpointer picks it up. :D
Went from a Deus to an Equinox 800. Deus just loved coke and the 800 only picks it up if I use the 15kHz frequency. Have to dig it though, just in case!!!

Return to “Tips & DIY Forum”