Phone on a stick!

Please only post topics here related to metal detecting tips and tricks & D.I.Y
Resurgam

Phone on a stick!

Post by Resurgam » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:33 am

I have from time to time read the odd barbed comment calling a Deus, or one of the newer entries onto the market, a phone on a stick and knowing that some early detectorists got by with detectors lashed up from home made coils and a transistor radio, I got to wondering if one of the modern, do all, mobile phones could be persuaded to function as a half decent metal detector.

What do you reckon?

Chris ::g

Garrett ProPointer + MineLab Safari + Quest Q40, and loads of determination.

Resurgam

Re: Phone on a stick!

Post by Resurgam » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:50 am

OOPS! Just had a look on youtube and someone has beaten me to it. I will just have to try one of theirs. rl;

ROCK HOPPER

Post by ROCK HOPPER » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:19 am

My first detector was that transistor radio on a stick.
If I remember it came from Joan Allen in the late 60's and was useless all I found with it was an old penny.

Roberts

Post by Roberts » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:03 pm

My first detector was a boxed one with a few important dials and at the moment i am using the deus with the WS4 which is pretty much a turn on and go with a few options, i still have a hesitation on buying a new machine with the "screened computarized".

Most of the newer high end machines seem to have this computerized method so i will probably get one and it will open a whole new concept in detecting and the options that i will have. (learning curve)

I have narrowed my search to the deus with RC, new Makro kruzer models or the new minelab equinox 800.
Deus xp WS4, 11 inch coil, Nokta pinpointer, Solid spade

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:08 pm

My very first detector was an ex MoD mine detector that I picked up in the early sixties but never managed to get it working. It came in a nice big wooden box with rope handles.

I have since worked my way through a number of rubbish detectors and actually gave up on my dreams of ever finding decent targets. That is until I retired and watched some of you guys beach detecting.

Phase two of my detecting enthusiasm saw me buying a Maplin's machine but I soon upgraded to a Garrett EuroAce and Chris (Dungbeetle) from Flintshire took me under his wing and educated me about more serious detecting. Never looked back since but have progressed on to a MIneLab Safari and a Quest Q40.

Watching the videos on Youtube, I was intrigued by the read outs I was seeing on mobile phone screens and am wondering how they respond to differing metals.

Chris ::g

Return to “Tips & DIY Forum”