ALERT The MDF has a monthly Prune of all Members that have Zero Posts to their Accounts to Free up Resources. However Just 1 Single Post will keep your account open indefinitely.

Sand scoop recommendations

Please feel free to post topics about metal detecting sand scoops here.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Scoops
Emily

Sand scoop recommendations

Post by Emily »

Hi everyone. :)

I would really love to get a plastic sand scoop with shovel handle. The only issue is that most are metal, which boggles my mind, as how are you supposed to know that something is in the scoop (in the occasion that you can’t see it), but also can’t detect if you’ve picked it up at all as the scoop itself is metal!! Haha.

Anyway, if anyone in here has a plastic one that they’re considering rehoming, please let me know. :) or, if you have any advice on where I can get a plastic one, or personal favourites, please get in touch. :)
Live long and prospect 🖖🏻

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney »

The target will no longer be in the ground/beach.
Therefore it will be in the scoop.
The scoop acts like a sieve..... shake out the sand...... retrieve item.
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave »

I don`t use a sand scoop on dry sand but a childs plastic sand spade. Plastic handle, about 12" wooden shaft and 6" wide plastic blade. Like to run the detector over the sand on the spade. Spade was found on the beach years ago and has been used for detecting for years. On wet sand take the Stainless steel border spade I use on inland digs.
Good Luck ::g
Dave
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 »

Garrett do a plastic one that’s around £15

Or this one is very similar and £10

https://www.bonanzamarket.co.uk/listing ... gJ7iPD_BwE

P.S. i’ve Moved you to the ‘scoop’ sub forum. Read through this section and advice galore has already been written for you ::g
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Junior

Post by Junior »

Don't bother with a plastic one..it might b ok for the first few inches of soft but if u start getting down there it'll struggle or break ???,.... evolution 360 and a broom handle ....no more bending over..... wet sand/ dry sand just a shake, it laughs at it ... =)) ::g

domelec

Post by domelec »

I made 2 scoops out of feed scoops
1 for me and other for my wife, first day at the beach I broke mine lol
So when we got home I bought 2 sito scoops (stainless steel)

stillair1

Post by stillair1 »

I bought a sito scoop too, but filled in the emblem with some jb marine weld. Strong unit has taken some abuse so far without issue. Bargain.
Whites IDX, DFX
Garrett 400i
Nox 600
Sovereign GT
XPointer

domelec

Post by domelec »

Why have you filled the emblem?

stillair1

Post by stillair1 »

Just in case I ding something on the way into the scoop. Probably ocd on my part. But knowing my luck. :D
Whites IDX, DFX
Garrett 400i
Nox 600
Sovereign GT
XPointer

Devon steve

Post by Devon steve »

Hi guys. Total newbie here. Just started buying some kit and wondering why simple stuff is so expensive? Looking at the stainless sand scoops- they must be making a killing? Lol £70-£90? I'm in the wrong job. Thinking of ideas to make my own. Mebbe one of the stainless utensils drainers with a pole on the end. Or a stainless camping Billy can with holes drilled. Anyone made their own?
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer SE
Quest Q40 raptor coil
Garrett Sea Hunter mark 2
Garrett Pro pointer
Detecknix pinpointer
Evolution trowel
Short handle sand scoop
Evolution Type R sand scoop
Cheap spade
Builders leather nail/finds pouch

chip

Post by chip »

Sifting through soft dry sand is easy and places little stress on your scoop but once you get in amongst the stones (even sandy beaches when you get down a few inches at the shoreline can get very compact and stoney)you need something very robust. You have to literally kick it in to the ground like you would a spade into stoney ground.

I have an evolution 360, and it is built like a tank. If you bought one you would see where the value is.
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

Devon steve wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:45 pm
Hi guys. Total newbie here. Just started buying some kit and wondering why simple stuff is so expensive? Looking at the stainless sand scoops- they must be making a killing? Lol £70-£90? I'm in the wrong job. Thinking of ideas to make my own. Mebbe one of the stainless utensils drainers with a pole on the end. Or a stainless camping Billy can with holes drilled. Anyone made their own?

I'm a great believer in going down the DIY route and will consider taking-on most projects. However, as if to acknowledge my non-existent ability in the welding of stainless steel, a very welcome birthday present arrived in the form of the 'Evo 360'.sand-scoop. I felt it needed modifying to suit my requirements, so set about adding the four modifications required:-

1. A 36 inch alloy handle with a full length insert for extra strength.

2. A plastic 'hand-Grip' fitted to the end for comfort.

3. A strong metal hand-grip which is located at the base of the 3ft handle (just above the scoop
basket being making it perfectly balanced for easy carrying, and also providing a leverage point
for lifting out those scoops full of heavy, wet sand.

4. This was added recently, a 'stand' which allows the whole caboodle to be stood upright
leaving both hands free to examine/wash the find, blow you nose :D etc without having to
stoop to retrieve the implement from the surf!

It's said that a picture paints a thousand words, so I'll add one as soon as poss. Regards ss47 ::g

Edit to add:-

Pic will follow tomorrow due to the actions of Google sending all the the pics on my shiny new laptop to a cloud apparently. Haven't found them yet as it's so overcast today - will look again tomorrow :D Be good and be lucky ::g Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Emily

Post by Emily »

Devon steve wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:45 pm
Hello. :) I made a scoop from a snow shovel. I haven’t used it yet, but it’s very sturdy, so I think it’ll be be just what I need. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

Hello Emily, That's good old fashioned entrepreneurial DIY know-how 'in the raw'.
It looks to me, like a proper job for the dry stuff ::g Time to try it out and put the finds that fell to it, up for us all to 'oggle' at ::g Hope there;s a bit of shiny stuff amongst them!
Nice One! ::g Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Emily

Post by Emily »

sweepstick47 wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:33 pm
Hello Emily, That's good old fashioned entrepreneurial DIY know-how 'in the raw'.
It looks to me, like a proper job for the dry stuff ::g Time to try it out and put the finds that fell to it, up for us all to 'oggle' at ::g Hope there;s a bit of shiny stuff amongst them!
Nice One! ::g Regards ss47
Well I do very much enjoy real elbow grease DIY. :) hopefully it’ll do the job!!

I won’t be near a beach until the end of July, but I’ll be sure to let you all know what (if anything) comes up. :) I’m really desperate for a ring though, so if you could all keep your fingers crossed, I’d really appreciate it!! Haha.

Return to “Metal Detecting Scoops”