ALERT The MDF has a monthly Prune of all Members that have Zero Posts to their Accounts to Free up Resources. However Just 1 Single Post will keep your account open indefinitely.

Long Handled Sand Scoop for The Heavy Wet-Stuff

Please feel free to post topics about metal detecting sand scoops here.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Scoops
sweepstick47

Long Handled Sand Scoop for The Heavy Wet-Stuff

Post by sweepstick47 »

Hello Beach Detectorists ::g

Evolution 360 Sand Scoop – Long Handle Modification

It was about 4 or 5 years ago that I first considered buying a purpose made sand scoop and having looked at the various options, I decided to go for the stainless steel Evolution 360 due to it’s well reported strength, build and durability. At that time, a long handle wasn’t available as an option so a DIY solution was called for but - the intrusion of a house move called an abrupt halt to my original plans.

It’s at this time of year, whilst awaiting the coming of harvest time, those of us within striking distance, can turn our attention (unless you’re going through the process of moving house)! to detecting some of the many beaches that abound our coastline. It’s that aspect that reminded me, I still had to complete the final modification to my sand scoop to bring it up to the required spec!

Now I’m considered to be quite handy guy with sticky-back plastic, a tube of copydex and a bent nail or two, so I thought well, there’s no harm in at least having a go! Adding photo's now... bear with me experiencing problems.........there will now be a short intermission! ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Junior

Post by Junior »

£2.50 broom handle and 360 still going strong....2 yrs on still going strong...save the planet's and the sticky back plastic stocks and go to your local hardware shop ::g or shell out and buy the proper handle.... :-/

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

Junior wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:28 pm
£2.50 broom handle and 360 still going strong....2 yrs on still going strong...save the planet's and the sticky back plastic stocks and go to your local hardware shop ::g or shell out and buy the proper handle.... :-/
......can't do that, I need to fiddle a bit longer to justify the cost of mi workshop :D Cheers ss47

chip

Post by chip »

I personally can’t wait to see SS47s sandscoop as he has promised to put photos up of his mods a few times now. ::g
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

Devon steve

Post by Devon steve »

It'll be a broom handle sanded smooth and finished in a French Polish lol.
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer SE
Quest Q40 raptor coil
Garrett Sea Hunter mark 2
Garrett Pro pointer
Detecknix pinpointer
Evolution trowel
Short handle sand scoop
Evolution Type R sand scoop
Cheap spade
Builders leather nail/finds pouch

Easylife

Post by Easylife »

sweepstick47 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:20 pm
Adding photo's now... bear with me experiencing problems.........there will now be a short intermission! ss47
I think there's a guide on here somewhere. =))
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

Easylife wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:38 am
sweepstick47 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:20 pm
Adding photo's now... bear with me experiencing problems.........there will now be a short intermission! ss47
I think there's a guide on here somewhere. =))
I knew a comment was coming fro someone and funnily enough.......... :D
Looks as though my camera is converting Raw and Jpeg files into cubits at the moment. :))
Cheers ss47

Easylife

Post by Easylife »

When I got my Evo 360 I then had to make the decision of handle length. A look in the shed resulted in the permanent borrowing of a suitable aged wooden handle from a garden implement. Looking at previous handle length suggestions I cut it to 4ft which seems quite ideal in use. The density of the timber defines the balance point, in my case exactly where the handle joins the scoop though ideally just a few inches further up the handle would be better.
Can't wait to see your Rolls Royce of handles SS. :D
White's TDI SL

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

....all I can say at this stage, is it'll be worth waiting for and in view of this unanticipated delay, there will be two surprise additional features to it. In the meantime, remain calm, adopt a recumbulent posture and take a long series of slow, deep breaths in readiness to witness the spectacle. Note:- availability is strictly on a 'first come first served basis.'

...the countdown has begun :-SS. Regards ss47

Junior

Post by Junior »

(Mrs thinks " where's the bird table gone ") :))

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

The wait is over....
1ABB15CF-D882-4135-9C34-8EB59B623A5B.jpeg
AF453E30-60E4-4680-A07D-D540F7A1A0BE.jpeg
79C736EE-7370-4717-A488-531A0B782BFD.jpeg
8033AE58-C3E7-4F2A-ACA1-279613F663EE.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 »

That’s a very impressive looking adaptation. Glad your new workshop is delivering such high quality output ::g
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

chip

Post by chip »

Looks good, but I worry your going to do yourself an injury if you catch your self with that stand.
I can see a sore ankle or a bit higher if your carrying it by the lower handle.
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

Yes, the lower handle is dual purpose as it affords excellent balance and control for carrying but it's prime use is as an 'assist' for levering out those scoops of very heavy wet sand/pebbles which simply can't be done at even forearm length.

Incidentally, the stand at the base allows the obvious free-standing function (keeping the hands away from the wet/gritty sand - very useful in winter) but it also allows the whole assembly to be 'trailed' behind either by hand, or to make it totally 'hands-free' whilst walking on the beach, a split-ring/old harness buckle etc. can be attached to the end of the hand grip (on the long handle) and hooked onto a quick-release point on the user's belt.

In this mode, it will also display the path taken on the outward search thus avoiding going over the same ground on the way back. ::g ss47

Easylife

Post by Easylife »

I understand your reasoning for those modifications SS but have you given it a test run yet? :D
White's TDI SL

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

Not tried it yet in it's final guise but used it at Scarborough and filey before fitting the base stand and found It makes life on the wet so much easier on the arms. The sand can be shifted in double quick time too sometimes before water can swamp the target when operating close to the shore line. ::g Regards ss47

fred

Post by fred »

A lovely looking job but I reckon that backbar is perfectly placed to dig in to sand and act as a brake when dragged behind, especially across sand ripples or mud. It will probably also add plenty of resistance if you need to dig deeper than the length of the scoop.

Hopefully I will be proved wrong but, if I'm right, at least it will save you a gym subscrption! :D
Well worn Equinox 800 x2
Nice (temporarily) shiny new one x1

Machinist

Post by Machinist »

I agree with Fred, that stand is going to hinder digging specially in the wet sand. I just give mine a quick push with my foot into the sand if I want to let go, it usually stays upright unless you are detecting in a howling gale.

As for dragging it I never do that mine goes over my shoulder. If you do swing it over the shoulder you will soon learn to make sure you have not left any sand in the scoop as it ends up going down the back of your neck x;

Ray
It's all the Headless Hunters fault !!

Member of South Yorkshire MDC

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

''As for dragging it I never do that mine goes over my shoulder. If you do swing it over the shoulder you will soon learn to make sure you have not left any sand in the scoop as it ends up going down the back of your neck''

Spoken as if you've experienced it Ray.........but only once no doubt 8-|

Good point about the 'drag' though, but the gym cost saving appeals to me as it will also help in finding my way back to the beach car park :D

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

fred wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:38 am
A lovely looking job but I reckon that backbar is perfectly placed to dig in to sand and act as a brake when dragged behind, especially across sand ripples or mud. It will probably also add plenty of resistance if you need to dig deeper than the length of the scoop.

Hopefully I will be proved wrong but, if I'm right, at least it will save you a gym subscrption! :D
....proved wrong Fred :-O Woe betide anyone who should dare such a thing!

Looks like I may have to consider a different stand system as the depth consideration you mention
seems like a limiting factor and as Winston would have said,....
''is something up with which we cannot put''. I'm on it! Cheers Fred ::g

Easylife

Post by Easylife »

I'm thinking of getting a curved back aluminium handle for mine.
But not like this...!
Custom scoop.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
White's TDI SL

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

u;@ Wow! That's complicated, looks capable of walking down those steps of it's own accord ;)

skythepig

Post by skythepig »

Blimey! Bolt two of those together and you would have a dual purpose zimmer walking frame and double sand scoop in one.
Just fit a long shafted detector in the middle and away you go, Something for the later years. :))
XP Deus, a different ball game.
Equinox 800 still learning but getting there
Sovereign Elite
Bad Back and dodgy knees

TheMellowedMole

Post by TheMellowedMole »

I myself have been thinking about buying a sand scoop of some type sometime soon.
My choice of a handle to fit to it has been holding me back from buying one but from reading this thread ive came up with what i think might just be ideal for a scoop handle/shaft and better still i have a pair of them lying in the roofspace.

A pair of crutches gentlemen !! one to use and a spare !!
That is of course if it would work.
Also they can be bought from Argos for about £20 or so.
Just a thought i had let me know what yous lads think.

TMM.

Return to “Metal Detecting Scoops”