Adding a liner to catch the smaller targets

Please feel free to post topics about metal detecting sand scoops here.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Scoops
Jungle

Adding a liner to catch the smaller targets

Post by Jungle » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:59 pm

Looking to get a type r scoop but the 14mm holes are too big for river work.
Has anyone fitted a removable liner to catch the smaller stuff? Probably 8mm.
Any design tips welcome.

DEUS 9" Elliptical, 9", 11" and 13" coils, MI-6, Propointer, WS4 x 2, 2nd shaft (Upgrade path:- F75+Sunray, X-terra-50)

sweepstick47

Re: Adding a liner to catch the smaller targets

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:41 pm

Hello 'Jungle', Just a thought, the use of a 'fine'wire mesh may be the cheapest and easiest solution but I'm not sure of the sizes of mesh available. A local hardware store would be the best best for obtaining a small sample. A trawl of the usual internet suspects may prove useful in identifying the sizes available to you.

Let us know how you get on with the mod. Good Luck ::g Regards
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:46 pm

You would no doubt do better to get a scoop with smaller holes to start with for ease of use. The holes on my Evo 360 are 14.4mm diameter but found that on the beach any metallic finds which fell through were not really worth worrying about and guess at worst I could just lose the odd ear-ring stud. I'd like an r-scoop for tougher conditions also but the 360 seems to cope reasonably well. Hammered farthings would possibly fall through the holes also but out of interest what very small finds are you expecting from the river?
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & Garrett Carrot. %)=
White's TDI SL

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:06 am

u;@ Now there's a real poser of a question. I suspect the answer is to expect all unexpected finds, as to what size the unexpected finds might be I, reckon that's yet another poser and it's now getting quite late:D Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Jungle

Post by Jungle » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:51 am

Easylife wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:46 pm
You would no doubt do better to get a scoop with smaller holes to start with for ease of use. The holes on my Evo 360 are 14.4mm diameter but found that on the beach any metallic finds which fell through were not really worth worrying about and guess at worst I could just lose the odd ear-ring stud. I'd like an r-scoop for tougher conditions also but the 360 seems to cope reasonably well. Hammered farthings would possibly fall through the holes also but out of interest what very small finds are you expecting from the river?
I have two, possibly three roman river crossings and a stretch next to a DMV, so small mimims and maybe cut halves. Alternatively I could put a very fine mesh in and dump content on to a floating sieve
DEUS 9" Elliptical, 9", 11" and 13" coils, MI-6, Propointer, WS4 x 2, 2nd shaft (Upgrade path:- F75+Sunray, X-terra-50)

Return to “Metal Detecting Scoops”