ALERT The MDF has a monthly Prune of all Members that have Zero Posts to their Accounts to Free up Resources. However Just 1 Single Post will keep your account open indefinitely.

Handle for Evolution 400 Sand Scoop help please

Please feel free to post topics about metal detecting sand scoops here.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Scoops
AlexB

Handle for Evolution 400 Sand Scoop help please

Post by AlexB »

Hello,

Sorry to write yet another post, I have seen some of the ones prior however I cannot find the handle I am looking for anywhere in the UK.

I am looking for something strong and lasting but also not too heavy, I have seen the stainless steel option, they look cool however I am worries they will tire me out after a long session.

Realistically I wanted a fiber glass one but I am generally not sure what is recommended and also I cannot find one standalone carbon fiber, fiberglass or marine aluminium in the UK, every one i found is from the States.

Sorry for the long post however the cost of the pole alone is around £40, before i invest that much in a pole alone i was wondering if anyone has bought one in the UK and could give me a bit of advice

Thanks

Alex
Equinox 800
Impossible is only what has not yet been achieved

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

Have you had a look in the DIY section over there l;/ ? Where there are many suggestions for consideration, including aluminium, wooden brush handles and even a couple from 'your's truly'.
Making a handle for a 'Sand Scoop' is a simple enough project, give it a go ;)

Good Luck - Regards ss47 ::g
A disservice is no service at all.

Devonboy

Post by Devonboy »

Hi Alex B,

I have been using a pitchfork handle for the past five and a half years and it has never let me down so thoroughly recommended
These can be purchased from farming supply shops.

Cheers Tony

AlexB

Post by AlexB »

Thank you both, I set for a snow shovel in the end lol however I will Lao get a pitchfork as a spare and test them both, will also consider DIY but worried I won’t make it good enough :D
Equinox 800

Devonboy

Post by Devonboy »

PinkFloyd wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:22 pm
If the target is 10 inches down, how does a sand scoop get it ?
I can understand if it’s 4 inches and dry sand , but deep and heavy wet sand ... :-/

I guess you could fit a spade head on the other end of the handle :))
Not too difficult, simply take out 2-3 scoops of sand if necessary.

Tony

Rivers rat

Post by Rivers rat »

For mine I used a COMPOSITUBE(Novagrip) shaft from Eric Hunter tools,i got 4 sand scoops all equipped with one of those they aren't cheap but wont break if used with a minimum of gentleness .

I didn't use the U Bolt supplied I drilled through and use bolt and nuts(2) through the shaft.

A larger shaft up to 45mm dia can be fitted to the Evolution Scoop by doing away with the u-bolts and using 2 x 8mm coach bolts fixed through the shaft. The Evolution Pro Scoop is Handmade in the UK

I ll try to do a review and share thoughts about the evolution scoop once I got more hours in it .....so far not bad.

RR
Owner of a Foster PI one of the Enlightened few
Tools of the trade as of 2020: Lobos/Silver sabre/GMP/Deus/1266X/F75DST/Xterra 705/Nox800/Goldscan g5c/Goldbug pro

AlexB

Post by AlexB »

Would be nice to see it 😊
Equinox 800

TinDigger

Post by TinDigger »

These aluminium handles look incredibly good value. Not sure how strong they are though...

https://www.cleaningsupplies4u.com/bran ... -red-each/

maylandmanta

Post by maylandmanta »

Watch fibreglass handles - we used to have them on shovels but after sometime the resin surface would wear or degrade and the sharp fibreglass strands would come away getting into hands like splinters that you could not see only feel and believe me they hurt.

gravelmonkey

Post by gravelmonkey »

maylandmanta wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:46 am
Watch fibreglass handles - we used to have them on shovels but after sometime the resin surface would wear or degrade and the sharp fibreglass strands would come away getting into hands like splinters that you could not see only feel and believe me they hurt.
Good advice.

I'm still considering a fibreglass handle, I've found "heat shrink grip tube" on ebay which should protect the surface. Cost is c.£6 from China for 1m.

Another alternative I'm considering is bicycle handlebar/sports bat/racket grip tape.

All add cost/weight and make the stainless handle look like better value!
All the gear and no idea.

maylandmanta

Post by maylandmanta »

Depending on diameter an old bike inner tube may stretch over tube for a grip -cost £0 - just a thought.

AlexB

Post by AlexB »

Thanks so much for all of the advice :)
Equinox 800

Return to “Metal Detecting Scoops”