Sand Scoop... How much?!

Please feel free to post topics about metal detecting sand scoops here.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Scoops
Grub

Sand Scoop... How much?!

Post by Grub » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:48 pm

My mate invested in a stainless steel sand scoop a few days ago and I managed to have a gander at it last night.... "Only paid 90 quid for it" he bragged. >:o

I don't want to upset anyone so I won't name the brand, but I have to say what an overpriced bit of rubbish it is!
We have a stainless steel Ice bucket scoop at home that I fetched out while my mate was here to compare the two. Apart from having a few less holes than the sand scoop and being a tad smaller the design was quite similar. Straight away it was plain to see the Ice scoop was stronger, better quality and just as effective at 'sieving'... more importantly it cost just a fiver from a local cookware shop.
:)

He left our house a bit miffed I think and I have a feeling he'll be looking for a refund before popping into town to the cookware shop.
;))

Just thought I'd share.

All the best & happy hunting! :)

C-Scope 1220XD

Tomo

Re: Sand Scoop... How much?!

Post by Tomo » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:07 pm

Can't be the one I got off "muck the digger" as you could break rocks with this one, its like a JCB on steroids.
Won't use anything else on the beach now ::g
Xp deus

johny-blaze

Post by johny-blaze » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:18 pm

where do you buy that one tomo ?
minelab e-trac
sunray x1
gray ghost ndt's

beaubrummell

Post by beaubrummell » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:25 pm

Grub wrote:My mate invested in a stainless steel sand scoop a few days ago and I managed to have a gander at it last night.... "Only paid 90 quid for it" he bragged. >:o

I don't want to upset anyone so I won't name the brand, but I have to say what an overpriced bit of rubbish it is!
We have a stainless steel Ice bucket scoop at home that I fetched out while my mate was here to compare the two. Apart from having a few less holes than the sand scoop and being a tad smaller the design was quite similar. Straight away it was plain to see the Ice scoop was stronger, better quality and just as effective at 'sieving'... more importantly it cost just a fiver from a local cookware shop.
:)

He left our house a bit miffed I think and I have a feeling he'll be looking for a refund before popping into town to the cookware shop.
;))

Just thought I'd share.

All the best & happy hunting! :)
There was a guy on here a couple of days ago who made his own from a stainless steel cutlery strainer. It looked the business
Minelab Explorer II
SEF 12 x 10 coil
Deteknix Wader Li Xpointer
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Souped-up Spear & Jackson mini spade
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots

Tomo

Post by Tomo » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:25 pm

You'll find it on this forum's auction site priced £70 and sold by "muck the digger"
I've had quite a few lads down the beach comment on how well its made. No digging like mad with a shovel chasing coins that sink deeper and deeper. One or 2 scoops and there out, rocks and all lol
Xp deus

beaubrummell

Post by beaubrummell » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:26 pm

This is the link to home made sand scoop.

http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/vi ... 12&t=50266" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Minelab Explorer II
SEF 12 x 10 coil
Deteknix Wader Li Xpointer
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Souped-up Spear & Jackson mini spade
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots

STIG

Post by STIG » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:12 pm

Whilst watching a beach detecting video last night I think I've come up with the most Practical and Easy to use Sand Scoop I have seen !.
I do a bit Beach detecting myself and nearly always find myself on my knees poking around for Tons of insignificant bits and bobs, and apart from wet knees and an aching back I have had things such as stones and fishing weights sticking in my knees also which is not good .
I have tried a few cheap scoops in the past but nearly always end up on my knees sifting, I did once convert a kitchen sieve and a pole to save me bending down all the time but it didn't last and broke almost beyond repair when used on the wet sand. I have been toying with the idea of buying a stainless steel ready made scoop !, but being a spendthrift ( tight arse ) , I like to exhaust other options until I have no other choice but to spend £100 !, and last night I saw it .
It is a Polypropylene High Impact Shovel which only costs around £22 on Fleabay, and it's light, it saves all the Bending down because being Fully Plastic you can scoop the sand, drag it away from the hole, then run your detector over it to see if the Target is in the Scoop before bending to retrieve it .
The only modifications you have to make to the shovel are maybe drill a few holes for drainage if using on wet sand, and maybe round or point the front end of the shovel so it cuts through the sand a bit easier ! ( optional ).

This shovel is Robust and very Hard Wearing as i know, they are used to clear rubbish in Non-Sparking environments ( Example - Gas Related or Highly Combustible Dusty Places ) . I have ordered one and will let you know how it Fairs , as it says " The proof is in the Trying " . .
Dirige Deus Gressus Meos. ' May the Lord Direct my Steps '

Etrac and Tons of Gear

Gold = 1
Silver = 14
Hammered = 1
Bronze = 1 Ring
Copper = 132 Coins
Musket Balls = 53
Bag Seals = 23
Artefacts = 7
Jetons = 1

botto

Post by botto » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:49 pm

Tomo wrote:Can't be the one I got off "muck the digger" as you could break rocks with this one, its like a JCB on steroids.
I will vouch for them scoops as well Tomo, great bit of kit n for 70 notes you cant go wrong
Rutus Alter 71, Ctx, Nexus MP, Deus

jeff2010

Post by jeff2010 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:18 pm

botto wrote:
Tomo wrote:Can't be the one I got off "muck the digger" as you could break rocks with this one, its like a JCB on steroids.
I will vouch for them scoops as well Tomo, great bit of kit n for 70 notes you cant go wrong
thanks for the kind words guys ::g scoops take a good 5 hours to make then theres materials ;;z .people who sell scoops earn the very little money they make. Youve got to like making them really ;;)
Minelab etrac
stainless steel sand scoop
Minelab pro find25
Ultimate digging knife
S blade spade

tantalic

Post by tantalic » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:45 pm

That good to know tomo as i have just brought one off him should have it this tuesday ::g
Using a Teknetics G2
Teknetics T2 SE LTD (DST)
C.Scope CS4PI
Stainless steel sand scoop
Garret pro pointer
Ultimate Digging knife
Stainless Steel V Blade Spade
NCMD Member

targets

Post by targets » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:24 pm

i have 2 free ones ,plastic lawn seed spreaders !drill some holes and chamfer the front end and off you go. strong and light
' hammys how i love ya, how i love ya my dear old hammys '

jeff2010

Post by jeff2010 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:03 pm

tantalic wrote:
That good to know tomo as i have just brought one off him should have it this tuesday ::g
Courier arranged for tommorow next day ::g in the box there is 2 stainless steel fixing screws ( ones a spare) then there's the scoop handle which also comes with two stainless nuts,bolts and washers. When fitting the scoop handle I use mine at about 9 o'clock looking down at scoop they are great for pulling out the wet stuff when totally submerged and you get sum suction then turn your wrist to empty it out ::g . You'll need a 35 mm shaft ( they are hardwood ) and cost between £5- 12. But on the plus side they don't snap like broom shafts which some people use.
You won't be disappointed with one of our scoops they work a treat and will go with your pi nicely :D
Cheers Jeff
And mucky.
Minelab etrac
Minelab pro find25
Ultimate digging knife
S blade spade

tantalic

Post by tantalic » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:07 pm

Thanks Jeff & Mucky really looking forward to using it & save my back too have been using a black ada spade & a plastic hand scoop but after 3 hours of digging with my pi machine my back kills me this scoop will make detecting the wet sand so much easier for me ::g
Using a Teknetics G2
C.Scope CS4PI
Garret pro pointer
Ultimate Digging knife
NCMD Member

jeff2010

Post by jeff2010 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:16 pm

Wow a spade and hand scoop! Your in for a treat when you get the scoop for sure you'll never be without it.
Jeff.
Minelab etrac
Minelab pro find25
Ultimate digging knife
S blade spade

tantalic

Post by tantalic » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:34 pm

Easier that means I can dig more finds ::g thanks guys & if anyone asks about the scoop I will point them in your direction ::g
Using a Teknetics G2
C.Scope CS4PI
Garret pro pointer
Ultimate Digging knife
NCMD Member

Return to “Metal Detecting Scoops”