ALERT The MDF has a monthly Prune of all Members that have Zero Posts to their Accounts to Free up Resources. However Just 1 Single Post will keep your account open indefinitely.

Muck the digger stainless steel sand scoop what a bit of kit

Please feel free to post topics about metal detecting sand scoops here.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Scoops
tantalic

Muck the digger stainless steel sand scoop what a bit of kit

Post by tantalic »

I use a CS4PI on the beech & am at the young age of 49 for digging i was using a black adder short spade & plastic hand scoop after a couple of hours of this my back was hurting alot so I got myself a stainless steel scoop off the forum auction site needed to be strong solid as alot of my digging involves rocks as well as sand eventually deciding to get one from "muck the digger on the MDF auction site I was abit worried it wouldn't last too long after all its alot of money this is what puts most off people getting one
when it arrived I opened the box & was amazed at how strong it looked as they ship without the handle which by the way these use 35mm diameter handles so off out i went to purchase a wooden shaft/handle cost was around £10 returned home & fitted the shaft now I wanted to get out to test it but had to wait a few days as the tides were wrong anyway this week I have got out with it & can say its built like a tank can't see me ever breaking it in the wet stuff I was pulling up large rocks with it & it never bent or buckled at all & after 3 hours no back ache So for me this purchase has been worth every penny ::g
Using a Teknetics G2
Teknetics T2 SE LTD (DST)
C.Scope CS4PI
Stainless steel sand scoop
Garret pro pointer
Ultimate Digging knife
Stainless Steel V Blade Spade
NCMD Member

botto

Post by botto »

Ive got one and they are a brilliant bit of kit ::g couldn't go to the beach detecting without it now.
Rutus Alter 71, Ctx, Deus, Tejon

Muck the digger

Post by Muck the digger »

Hi tantalic pleased you managed to get out with it ::g . They are a solid bit of kit! They have been described as tonka scoops =)) . I,ll look forward to reading your future posts and pulling up some bling mate.
Cheers mucky
Minelab quatro
One of our sand scoops
Ultimate digging knife
S blade spade
jrstainlesssteelproducts

jeff2010

Post by jeff2010 »

Just listed another one! Always available on MDF auction site.
Jeff.
Minelab etrac
stainless steel sand scoop
Minelab pro find25
Ultimate digging knife
S blade spade

Micawber

Post by Micawber »

Hi Tantalic, I liked your post for a couple of reasons.One being that a wooden shank would be up for the job but as you pointed out it's 35mm,that's like the thick end of a Pro Pointer so it's not flimsy.
I was "put off" by the price of scoops,but if it's as sturdy and robust as you and others have pointed out then it becomes an investment in my opinion. I'm 10yrs older than you, 6-2 tall and a martyr to my back,also had a full knee replacement so don't fancy any unnecessary stooping and kneeling .So it looks like I'll be getting a scoop after all. Cheers and HH. ::g
Experientia docet, "One learns by experience."

Garrett Euro Ace.
Garrett Pro pointer.
Evolution Extreme Blade.
Evolution Pro Cut Spade.
Draper mini shovel.
Stainless steel scoop [long handle].

Something will turn up.

bobhope

Post by bobhope »

i have been using one of these scoops for around 2 months now, they are a fantastic piece of dectecting equipment and well worth the investment, dont be put off by the price as you will not find a better built product with fantastic service all round, please check out there other tools too they are of the same quility, and no i dont have anything to do with the manufacures of these products just a very satisfied customer. ::g

Bob.
Beach Relic Hunter, located in the Northeast of England.
Minelab CTX3030, Whites dual field PI, Garrett Pro-pointer, JR sand scoop and lots of digging tools.

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey »

Can only agree with what has been said about these scoops....brilliant scoops built like a tank.
Mines had 5 months of hard stick in sand/rocks and is still as good as the day I bought it.
I was that impressed I've just added the new R blade to the collection. ::g :D

The scoop after its weekly polish.. =)) Image
Sov GT
T2 Dst

jeff2010

Post by jeff2010 »

Wow that scoop looks well buff ::g
If you turn the handle to either 10 o'clock or 2 o'clock depending which hand you use? It makes emptying the scoop very easy and lifting out of the suction in the wet.Im right handed so have my detector in my right hand and scoop in the left hand with the handle at 2 o'clock I then pull out with the handle as normal and empty with a backhand flick! ::g ::g
By turning the handle it's easier on the wrist.
Pleased your happy with the R blade too!!!
Regards
Jeff.
Minelab etrac
Minelab pro find25
Ultimate digging knife
S blade spade

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey »

jeff2010 wrote:Wow that scoop looks well buff ::g
If you turn the handle to either 10 o'clock or 2 o'clock depending which hand you use? It makes emptying the scoop very easy and lifting out of the suction in the wet.Im right handed so have my detector in my right hand and scoop in the left hand with the handle at 2 o'clock I then pull out with the handle as normal and empty with a backhand flick! ::g ::g
By turning the handle it's easier on the wrist.
Pleased your happy with the R blade too!!!
Regards
Jeff.
Cheers Jeff, I spotted it earlier on your video and realised my mistake....lol
I'll be switching it around later as it does look a whole lot easier fitted on the angle... ::g
Sov GT
T2 Dst

tantalic

Post by tantalic »

Hi everyone i have since purchased there Ultimate Digging knife and a V blade spade same again can't fault it ::g these tools are built to last a lfetime and are a great investment ::g
Using a Teknetics G2
Teknetics T2 SE LTD (DST)
C.Scope CS4PI
Stainless steel sand scoop
Garret pro pointer
Ultimate Digging knife
Stainless Steel V Blade Spade
NCMD Member

clint

Post by clint »

Hello all,
been looking at getting a beach scoop and think that this one fits the bill.I have done the usual trawl around the net looking at various ones etc. and handles available.Jeff 2010 kindly advised me on a suitable wooden handle,thanks Jeff,but I can see some people opt for handles made of other materials..fibre glass etc.Any feedback gratefully received regarding handles,wood or whatever.

regards

Clint
Etrac.13" Ultimate Coil.CP3 TT`s
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Deteknix Pointer,camo,oh yeah! ...does what it says on the box..
Garrett Propointer..ok...(now it's fixed!)
Jeff`s big tool!

komet

Post by komet »

just bought muck digger scoop! cant wait for it to arrive. any suggestions for the shaft? fiberglass would be good anyone tried this?

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix »

Huge thanks for using the forums Auction site ::g

If anyone else is interested in this quality and becoming a very popular scoop the Direct Link to Purchase is here - Stainless Steel Sand Scoop and Handle Grip

Best of luck all
mrix

Relic Hunter

Post by Relic Hunter »

Used my Muck The Digger sand scoop for the first time at the weekend and I have to say that it is without doubt, the canine's conkers. ::g

Shilling&Sixpence

Post by Shilling&Sixpence »

[quote="tantalic"]I use a CS4PI on the beech & am at the young age of 49 for digging i was using a black adder short spade & plastic hand scoop after a couple of hours of this my back was hurting alot so I got myself a stainless steel scoop off the forum auction site needed to be strong solid as alot of my digging involves rocks as well as sand eventually deciding to get one from "muck the digger on the MDF auction site I was abit worried it wouldn't last too long after all its alot of money this is what puts most off people getting one
when it arrived I opened the box & was amazed at how strong it looked as they ship without the handle which by the way these use 35mm diameter handles so off out i went to purchase a wooden shaft/handle cost was around £10 returned home & fitted the shaft now I wanted to get out to test it but had to wait a few days as the tides were wrong anyway this week I have got out with it & can say its built like a tank can't see me ever breaking it in the wet stuff I was pulling up large rocks with it & it never bent or buckled at all & after 3 hours no back ache So for me this purchase has been worth every penny ::g
Direct Link to Purchase here - Stainless Steel Sand Scoop and Handle Grip

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r67 ... 517ff1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/quote

I've nothing but praise for those lads Jeff and Ricky. Ordered a V Blade and cor blimey! what a cracking bit of quality British made kit.

Looking at the purchase of an Ultimate Digging Knife next. ::g

jeff2010

Post by jeff2010 »

Really glad you like your V blade s&s we always do our best and try to design for strength,usability and longevity with all our products.I must say the people who use the MDF auction site are all a great bunch ::g . We do genuinely offer our best prices on the MDF auction site as the fees are lower than elsewhere. Thanks again for the nice comments it's much appreciated.
Jeff.
Minelab etrac
Minelab pro find25
Ultimate digging knife
S blade spade

Tomo

Post by Tomo »

Tonka kit ::g ::g ::g
Xp deus

cottlad

Post by cottlad »

Gotta say that the scoop is really good and well made. If I had to go back on the beach with a spade I really don't think I'd bother :)
Couple of small things that either could be improved or made more clear before purchase regarding the handle. I couldn't find anything originally so bought something that wasn't really up to the job. The diameter of the scoop handle hole is very wide which makes finding something that fits a bit tricky. After mentioning this, I was given a link for a shovel handle recommended by the seller that is big enough, although too big for the scoop hole. And unfortunately too big to just sand down. It took quite a bit of work whittling the darn thing down then sanding off, killing a kitchen knife and a Stanley blade in the process. This also takes the varnish off which isn't what we want to do in a salt water environment.

So apologies if this subject has already been broached, but I think the product could be improved by either making the handle hole a different size that would fit a wooden handle without making like a boy scout. Or supplying a handle with the scoop (maybe stainless) that would be man enough for the job whilst being light enough.

The scoop and cut down handle is quite heavy. I don't have another scoop to compare it too so maybe it's the norm, but a reduction in weight would be welcome.

Also, 1 other little thing..... a varnished shovel handle is smooth, as expected, so some sort of handle or grip for the top (to drag it around with) might be a good idea.

Apart from my little wishlist, I'm very happy with the scoop, it's extremely well fabricated, and I would definitely recommend it. :)

Digemdeep

Post by Digemdeep »

I thought I'd add to this long running topic.

I have just ordered one of these due to the good reviews and the fact that seems stronger than most of those supplied by the usual suspects.
It did take me a while to source a handle, but finally found this - for under £10 delivered.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's 137cm long so you can choose a long handle if prefered.

Also, someone mentioned the bare wood of the handle not being ideal.
I never throw old bicycle innertubes out, and will be using one to cover the top of the handle.
Smoother and gives some grip.
Last edited by Digemdeep on Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mega B

Post by Mega B »

The build quality and design of these sand scoop is about as good as you can get,they will last for years and years and still come back for more.

This product certainly gets my vote,a quality product from a quality company ::g
Just a few machines that i use Nexus MP,Nexus SE,WhitesTDI Pro Pulse,Fisher TW-5 twin box,Equinox,Deus,T2,DFX,Arado120b,Mirage Pulse,Crossbow Pulse.

Digemdeep

Post by Digemdeep »

What total length is best for one of these scoops?
I realise it will vary with the user's height, but say waist height or what?

diggin+fishin67

Post by diggin+fishin67 »

Hi. Bought a similar one from the auction. Together with a short stainless steel handle.
After using it, my back was killing me for the next two days. So not used it since.

Was thinking of buying a wooden handle, then levering the longer handle back. Instead of pulling the
sand/rocks out of the hole. But thinking a broom handle would snap?

john Colin

Post by john Colin »

Chest height works for me, more leverage and less bending.
JC

Digemdeep

Post by Digemdeep »

diggin+fishin67 wrote:Hi. Bought a similar one from the auction. Together with a short stainless steel handle.
After using it, my back was killing me for the next two days. So not used it since.

Was thinking of buying a wooden handle, then levering the longer handle back. Instead of pulling the
sand/rocks out of the hole. But thinking a broom handle would snap?
I decided on a wooden handle straight away.
A broom handle would be too thin to fit the scoop I bought.
It specifies that a 35mm is needed and I found this on Amazon. It should be very strong as it's for a traditional long handled shovel.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

diggin+fishin67

Thanks mate. will take a look. Was going to get one first off. But thought it would snap.

Cheers

Rivers rat

Post by Rivers rat »

You can buy any handle/shaft of all size and diameter with a price tag on ERIC HUNTER TOOLS ,i bought 2 composite shaft there ,all the scoop(4) i had the shaft had to be grated/scraped/chopped to fit inside the stainless steel socket also you can buy a back saver from b and q

http://multiprice.co.uk/BACK-SAVER" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i had a scoop specially made with inverted angle socket to "dredge" and .....i havent tried it yet but the idea was to use it like hoe or rake i had one in the past and it was ok ...

RR
Owner of a Foster PI one of the Enlightened few
Tools of the trade as of 2020: Lobos/Silver sabre/GMP/Deus/1266X/F75DST/Xterra 705/Nox800/Goldscan g5c/Goldbug pro

diggin+fishin67

Thank you so much. Like the idea of the back saver. And only £1. ::g

Digemdeep

Post by Digemdeep »

My scoop arrived today. Excellent piece of kit.

However, there is a slight design problem. The tube which receives the wooden pole, and is welded to the base plate has no drain hole. Any water seeping in through the top has nowhere to exit. This will inevitably cause the end of the pole to eventually rot.
A hole the size of the main scoop holes would be ideal, as any water could drain and dry out. In addition it would then be possible to invert the scoop and pour linseed oil through the hole to re-nourish the base of the pole.

Digemdeep

Post by Digemdeep »

I have had my scoop for a few weeks now, but have only just got round to fitting the additional small handle.
How do other owners use this handle for best effect?

komet

Post by komet »

I love my scoop. Never go back to a shovel.has anyone found a shaft other than wood that is easily obtainable? I'm still on the hunt for a collapsible shaft or takedown coupler as I ride a motorcycle. Any help would be appreciated.

Return to “Metal Detecting Scoops”