ultimate 13" coil on an etrac

Please post any topic here related to metal detector search heads, Coils.
digger360

ultimate 13" coil on an etrac

Post by digger360 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:14 pm

finally decided to buy a larger coil
it was a toss up between the NEL tornado coil 12 x 13 or the ultimate 13" from detech
i have used the NEL tornado before on my minelab SE with devastating results but the coil was heavy at 600gr so sold it with the SE
decided on the ultimate because of the weight being 60gr lighter than the minelab pro coil and good reviews on here
purchased it off the MDF auction website and it arrived within 2 days....Geoff does provide a fantastic service ::g
first impression its looks well built but i was slightly disapointed with the bolt that comes with it
i think when spending £149 detech could do a bit better so i just used the original bolt off the machine
decided to do my usual airtest of the 2 coils to see the difference ( i know its not scientific )
i only wrote down fully blown signals and not the iffy signals i was getting which were a lot deeper
heres the machine set up no disc manual sens 20 noise ch 2 multitone cond

took it out on a club dig today and managed 4 hrs didn't dig mind blowing deep holes but did a couple of shot gun caps around 9 or 10" deep which isn't bad and they were crisp signals
what did impress me was i like to wiggle the coil backwards rather than use the pinpoint and it was spot on every time and most things to 6" came out on the shovel 1st go
did manage to get the only hammy of the day which was a cut 1/2 at about 5" and a good signal ( will put it in ID finds post ) and a couple of other coins along with a load of modern rubbish so i had a good day so overall i am impressed with the coil and it will be staying on the machine ::g

minelab CTX 3030
tinitus and a badback

Allectus

Re: ultimate 13" coil on an etrac

Post by Allectus » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:26 pm

Excellent coils Digger ::g The 13" Ultimate has become a regular feature of my ET! ::g ::g

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

fishy

Post by fishy » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:27 pm

Tried my new coil out today on the Safari, I love it ::g
CTX3030

digger360

Post by digger360 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:42 pm

yeah i must admit i had good day with it so thats a good confidence booster
it was quite a barren field with very little iron in the ground so will have to wait till next week to get on an iron infested site to see how it copes with that
minelab CTX 3030
tinitus and a badback

fishy

Post by fishy » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:46 pm

digger360 wrote:yeah i must admit i had good day with it so thats a good confidence booster
it was quite a barren field with very little iron in the ground so will have to wait till next week to get on an iron infested site to see how it copes with that
I used mine on an iron infested site today and I was surprised at how well it managed it.
I did find that it was quite noisey and liked to squeal a fair bit over rusty iron but I soon got used to that.

Good targets made themselves known ::g
CTX3030

digger360

Post by digger360 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:07 pm

fishy wrote:
digger360 wrote:yeah i must admit i had good day with it so thats a good confidence booster
I used mine on an iron infested site today and I was surprised at how well it managed it.
I did find that it was quite noisey and liked to squeal a fair bit over rusty iron but I soon got used to that.

Good targets made themselves known ::g
thats what i like to hear ....i can't wait hopefully the water will have drained off by next w/e
and we can see how it performs ... i don't mind a bit of squealing if your finding :))
minelab CTX 3030
tinitus and a badback

chefphones

Post by chefphones » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:10 pm

I'm glad you like the coil Digger, The bolt is my "fault" I'm afraid, I add them as a courtesy, Detech don't supply bolts with their coils, so if you purchase them anywhere else you wouldn't even get those but I find it nice to at least give them out, OK you may have to cut them down a little but they are nylon and simple to do. ::g
finds 2013
Roman Grots 14

digger360

Post by digger360 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:01 pm

chefphones wrote:I'm glad you like the coil Digger, The bolt is my "fault" I'm afraid, I add them as a courtesy, Detech don't supply bolts with their coils, so if you purchase them anywhere else you wouldn't even get those but I find it nice to at least give them out, OK you may have to cut them down a little but they are nylon and simple to do. ::g
Geoff
i do admire your honesty ::g
yes the bolt is better than nothing at all and fair play to you for giving it ...and yes it wouldn't take much to cut it ....just a shame detech don't give one with the coil ! perhaps it would be worth mentioning it to them ....but its not a deal breaker just me splitting hairs on another good product i have bought from you
the coil performed well for me today the other coins i had were 1862 penny 1912 half penny
so with the cut half out of 30 members i was top dog on the day on some hard land ... was it me ?
the etrac ? the coil ? or everything together .....who knows ?????
but if you have confidence in your gear its gotta help
minelab CTX 3030
tinitus and a badback

slowsweep

Post by slowsweep » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:47 pm

Great coil on a Great machine, nuff said ::g B-)
lots of MD related stuff ;))

kopparberg

Post by kopparberg » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:57 pm

got one on my etrac been one all the time since i got it apart from when i did some plough it did'nt like it ,the standard pro coil handled it better .but on pasture the ultimate is the master
CTX 3030
DEUS
MAKRO pro pointer
always live for today and worry about tomorrow when it comes

digger360

Post by digger360 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:08 pm

kopparberg wrote:got one on my etrac been one all the time since i got it apart from when i did some plough it did'nt like it ,the standard pro coil handled it better .but on pasture the ultimate is the master
i'm curious as to why the ultimate didn't like the plough ?
what settings are you running on ?

as i will hopefully be on a lot of plough if the land finally drains and the farmer can eventually get around to ploughing but the way its going that could be in the spring now
minelab CTX 3030
tinitus and a badback

digger360

Post by digger360 » Sat May 18, 2013 1:08 pm

Just got back from a frustrating morning B|
it looks like my coil is beginning to play up ...normally on this field i run on auto + 3 which is normally between 23 to 27 with the odd bit of falsing but today the machine was totally unstable to the extent i had to keep turning the sens down to 12 and even then it was falsing like mad it had to only touch a blade of grass to false and was becoming a real struggle to tell what was a real target and a false signal
checked all the connections and changed batteries but no difference
took my mates stock coil off his machine and put on mine back up to auto +3 no probs so its not the etrac
we even went to 2 other fields just to make sure it wasn't the field and the same results
this coils has done less than 100 hrs so i'm not impressed ;;z
looks like i will have to send it back

has anybody else had any problems with there coil ? ...or i am i being a complete idiot and over looking something ?
minelab CTX 3030
tinitus and a badback

kopparberg

Post by kopparberg » Sat May 18, 2013 1:29 pm

digger360 wrote:Just got back from a frustrating morning B|
it looks like my coil is beginning to play up ...normally on this field i run on auto + 3 which is normally between 23 to 27 with the odd bit of falsing but today the machine was totally unstable to the extent i had to keep turning the sens down to 12 and even then it was falsing like mad it had to only touch a blade of grass to false and was becoming a real struggle to tell what was a real target and a false signal
checked all the connections and changed batteries but no difference
took my mates stock coil off his machine and put on mine back up to auto +3 no probs so its not the etrac
we even went to 2 other fields just to make sure it wasn't the field and the same results
this coils has done less than 100 hrs so i'm not impressed ;;z
looks like i will have to send it back

has anybody else had any problems with there coil ? ...or i am i being a complete idiot and over looking something ?
i know its a long shot but have you any water dirt etc under the coil cover as this might not help .it might also be the plug that goes into the control box .as i understand there is a problem with this .your best port of call would be to get in touch with chefphones and drop him a line ::g
CTX 3030
DEUS
MAKRO pro pointer
always live for today and worry about tomorrow when it comes

slowsweep

Post by slowsweep » Sat May 18, 2013 1:30 pm

have you cleaned between the coil and coil guard ? just a thought :-/

Whatunearth

Post by Whatunearth » Sat May 18, 2013 1:33 pm

Hi there, I got the ultimate coil on the safari and I cant fault it at all, more stable than the pro coil. However I did have a problem with mine was acting all strange and more false signal's than normal. I then noticed that it was doing it more the faster I swept. So when I got back from the field I thought its was faulty. I was going to maybe send it back, but I thought I would give it a real good clean see if that would do it and yes works great again.
I did notice that some parts of the coil were not covered by the coil cover and these parts were full of mud, quite deep, took a wile but managed to get it all out and its worked great ever since.
Hope this might help.
Greg
He who dares wins!
E-trac
GMP
Minelab Safari with 12" Sunray coil.
Cscope 6mx
Garrett Pro-pointer

fishy

Post by fishy » Sat May 18, 2013 1:41 pm

Had a few frustrating trips lately, false signals driving me crazy ;;z

Close inspection has revealed that there are gaps around the sealed area on the bottom of the coil :(

I have cleaned / dried my coil and covered the gaps with some some hard plastic glue. Hope that sorts it out. Hope to test it out tomorrow.
CTX3030

digger360

Post by digger360 » Sat May 18, 2013 1:42 pm

thanks for the replys
i did take the coil cover off and try it as on wet pasture you tend to get a build up of water in the coil cover after a couple of hrs
if i'm on grass all day i tend to use use without the cover to stop this problem
but i will give it a thorough clean as it is caked in mud ...which has never been a problem before
minelab CTX 3030
tinitus and a badback

Daniel o' Beirnes

Post by Daniel o' Beirnes » Sat May 18, 2013 1:46 pm

good coil you will like it. but i would go for the new 15/8 coil ::g ::g

digger360

Post by digger360 » Sat May 18, 2013 2:27 pm

ub40 wrote:good coil you will like it. but i would go for the new 15/8 coil ::g ::g
if the coil turns out to be faulty and has to go back and be repaired or given a new one
it will be sold as i will have no confidence in the company anymore so certainly wouldn't be buying anything else of theirs .....maybe i'm just unlucky but confidence is everything
will go straight out and buy an NEL
minelab CTX 3030
tinitus and a badback

chefphones

Post by chefphones » Sat May 18, 2013 5:05 pm

Hi Digger,
Give me a ring if you can, I may have a simple fix for you ;) Tel 07957074438
finds 2013
Roman Grots 14

digger360

Post by digger360 » Sun May 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Quick Update
Spoke to Geoff ( Chefphones ) ::g this morning and he talked me through a possible solution to the problem
and after a limited test in my back garden of putting the machine in auto + 3 whick i normally hunt in and bashing the coil through a few flowers etc to see how bad the falsing would be... it seems to be back to normal which is a big relief to me .....just need to get out and try it properly in the field to see if its 100% but at least my confidence has been restored after yesterdays frustrations
and so nice to deal with someone like Geoff who really wants to help his customers ::g
minelab CTX 3030
tinitus and a badback

mcbain

Post by mcbain » Sun May 19, 2013 11:10 pm

Hi Digger and Geoff, any chance of you sharing the secret fix. I have had some falsing issues recently and would appreciate any help.
Ger.
One life...make every day count.
Minelab CTX3030

chefphones

Post by chefphones » Mon May 20, 2013 12:20 am

Hi Ger, it's no secret just easy to explain over the phone so if you can give me a ring ;)
finds 2013
Roman Grots 14

andyhall74

Post by andyhall74 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:04 am

Hi chefphones what was the simple fix for the etrac faulsing problem with the ultimate 13 coil ? I don't want to just ring you out of the blue as this is a old thread cheers Andy

slowsweep

Post by slowsweep » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:48 am

andyhall74 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:04 am
Hi chefphones what was the simple fix for the etrac faulsing problem with the ultimate 13 coil ? I don't want to just ring you out of the blue as this is a old thread cheers Andy
if i remember correctly you put a bit of plumbers tape on the right hand side of coil connection at the control box before connecting the coil cable so as to push the connector to the left in order to make a better connection and so doing away with the falsing :-/

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:52 am

andyhall74 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:04 am
Hello andyhall74 - The post you'r replying to is dated 2013 and it also seems that Chefphones are no longer trading (a great pity)!

You may like to look through the posts within the Minelab/Etrac sub-forum
for related details. Link below. ::g Regards ss47

viewforum.php?f=98
A disservice is no service at all.

slowsweep

Post by slowsweep » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:07 am

Hi Andy i forgot to say the plumbers tape goes on the "Right hand threads only" at the control box, hope this helps.

GL&HH

Return to “Metal Detector Coils”