Replacing NEL coil plug

Please post any topic here related to metal detector search heads, Coils.
fliss26

Replacing NEL coil plug

Post by fliss26 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:10 pm

Hi everyone, thanks for having me on board.
I have had a mishap and crushed the plug and chopped the wires on a NEL Sharpshooter Coil. Tailgate Doors are not forgiving. I have obtained a new 5 Pin Plug but don't know which wire goes where. I have a 11" Teknetics coil that is still sealed and don't want to unseal it. The colour wires may be different anyway.
Please can someone help or point me in the right direction.

The detector is Teknetics Delta 4000 just over a year old

Fusion

Re: Replacing NEL coil plug

Post by Fusion » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:03 am

I can probably find enough info to help you. What equipment do you have? A multimeter (to measure resistance) would be good.
Strip back the wiring inside the cable a bit, what do you have? I'm expecting to see a single wire with a screen around it, and a pair of wires with a screen around them, but it could be different.
:(

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:44 am

I use a NEL Sharpshooter coil on my T2 not sure if its the same wire set up as the Delta,not really sure what help i could be really but i do have a Multimeter as Fusion has suggested ::g

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:00 am

T2 coils are unique, unfortunately, Mega.
Maybe the original poster could upload pics of the wiring it may help.

Found the info:
Assuming the cable is constructed as I described:
The screened cable with a single core should measure about 40 Ohms (35 - 55) between inner and outer. Connect the outer to Pin 1, and the inner to Pin 2.

The two-core screened cable should measure about 3 Ohms between the two inner cables. The outer screen should not give any measureable resistance to either inner. The screen connects to Pin 5. Now the tricky bit. The two remaining inner cores go to pins 3 and 4, but which way round is hard to discover. If the wires are black and brown, then try Black to Pin 4, and Brown to Pin 3. If they're something different in colour, just join them either way. To test for correct wiring, power up the machine. If you get a clean single beep (disc mode) when passing a target over the coil, it's working right. If you get a 'double-beep' in disc mode, but Pinpoint-mode still seems to give the strongest signal with the target below the centre of the coil, then you need to swap the wires to pins 3 and 4 over. Then it should behave properly.
:(

fliss26

Post by fliss26 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:11 pm

Thank you for your reply. I have and can use a Multimeter and have a soldering station. Unfortunately I have not got them with me at this moment. I shall be returning home soon and it will be one of my first jobs. Hopefully with your very detailed information I can successfully complete the repair. I hope to report back when it is up and running. I appreciate your time and experience thank you very much.

GT-555

Post by GT-555 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:44 am

Hello, i have nel tornado for fisher f5. It has now 4-pin plug. I dont know why, because i bought it used. I wondering can i replace the plug by 5-pin? If somebody can tell me which wire goes where..

GT-555

Post by GT-555 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:30 pm

There are three wires coming from the coil. Red, Brown and White. I open the detector and there goes four wires and ground to the Plug.

Return to “Metal Detector Coils”