Would a list of all after market coil weights be useful?

Please post any topic here related to metal detector search heads, Coils.
sweepstick47

Would a list of all after market coil weights be useful?

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:29 pm

Thought I'd raise this matter after seeing over a period, quite a few questions regarding coil 'specifications', many asking for opinions as to whether the larger examples might unbalance a given machine or indeed be considered too heavy for an individual with personal medical issues.

Questions such as those mentioned above, are difficult if not impossible to answer sufficiently well (even on a forum of this calibre) as the range of variables is huge. However, my own feelings on this, is that if manufacturers were to include in their specification sheet (advertising blurb) details of the gross weight of each coil model, it would go along way to enable buyers to make a better and a more considered purchase choice. This is just a thought I've harboured for quite some time.
Thanks for reading ::g Regards ss47

Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Fusion

Re: Would a list of all after market coil weights be useful?

Post by Fusion » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:04 am

There's a lot of coils about, it would be quite some list. You have to include all the original manufacturers coils, too, if only so that folks can compare 'stock' vs aftermarket. But it's worth attempting, to get round the abundance of vague information out there. It would be nice if the obvious "coil including cable" was complemented by "coil without cable", though it's pretty tricky to achieve this second measurement.
One thing that may simplify things is the duplication of many coils. Eg. a Detech Ultimate is likely to weigh pretty similar regardless of what machine it's made for. And many First Texas coils are the same, Fisher and Teknetics are using the same coil housings. Though there just might be a few exceptions, like those switchable frequency coils for X-Terras, which have a bit more gubbins inside them.
A problem you may get is conflicting info from different sources.

How should it be 'presented' ? Spreadsheets seem an obvious solution, if you have a word with Mike (Mrix) he may allow it to be hosted on the MDF website / server...I know there's a couple of pdf's stored on there, the 'Landowner/Detectorist Contract' is one.
Last edited by Fusion on Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:(

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:33 am

Hello 'Fusion' ::g Many thanks for your input. I agree with your point that a specific manufacturer's coil e.g. 'Ultimate 13 inch' should be near as 'damn-it' the same weight regardless of the detector model it was made for otherwise it really would be a huge listing! I was thinking more on the lines that each manufacturer's range, say a total of 10 coil sizes would perhaps be more manageable. Not sure just how many manufacturers there are to consider as some are possibly produced under license bearing a different name - essentially being identical.

I can see that some manufacturer's may be unwilling or unable to cooperate on such a project and of course to produce the details without their consent would not be the answer. The thought was there anyway!
All the best and thanks again. Regards ss47 ::g
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

fred

Post by fred » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:36 am

Plus there is the practical issue of coil covers, which presumably need to be added to the weight of a basic coil anyway? :-/

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:53 am

Ah, I thought you were after real measurements from Forum users, rather than Manufacturer data, which I would tend to be a little wary of.

And coil covers could be listed in a seperate table, for those who use them.
:(

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:56 pm

fred wrote:Plus there is the practical issue of coil covers, which presumably need to be added to the weight of a basic coil anyway? :-/
Thanks 'Fred', I think the weight of a coil cover is so inconsequential due to it's light weight' that I doubt if a buyer would be 'put off' by it's presence or absence when considering the weight of a new coil. Personally, I would opt for a coil cover regardless' as anything which adds protection is going to be a plus in my book. ::g Cheers. Regards ss47

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:00 pm

Fusion wrote:Ah, I thought you were after real measurements from Forum users, rather than Manufacturer data, which I would tend to be a little wary of.

Thanks 'Fusion' ::g I've just posted regarding the coil cover issue mate ::g Cheers. Regards ss47

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:54 pm

Fusion wrote:Ah, I thought you were after real measurements from Forum users, rather than Manufacturer data, which I would tend to be a little wary of.

Hi again 'Fusion' Yes, I too would be sceptical with any coil weights supplied by manufacturers. They'd probably be as 'optimistic' as some manufacturers quoted 'depth' figures for their detectors!

Via the correct channels, consent for the harvesting of coil weight information from MDF members had crossed my mind too but confirming accuracy of details may well be a stumbling block!
Back to square one methinks! Thanks again. Regards ss47

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:26 pm

My job is all about rackets, tennis, squash, racketball, badminton, even Real Tennis. I teach people how to service them and that usually means the re-stringing. However I also teach the skills of racket customising and that involves altering three specifications - weight, balance and dynamic weight. A pro's racket will be around 300 grams, 27 inches in length but the balance point will be nearer the handle end so that it becomes "head light" and be much easier to swing fast into the ball. The combination of weight and balance point results in dynamic weight or swingspeed.I alter all these to suit the players preferences.
Sorry for all that .. re a detector, the weight is perhaps more at the coil end. I used to have the GMP, 9 ins coil but the cable itself was wrapped around the shaft, away from the coil so as to avoid "falsing" but it was still very tiring to swing after three hours. Anything that is "head heavy" may feel much heavier than it actually is as all the weight is trying to bring the arm down.
So, its not so much always a matter of coil weight but whether there is enough counterweighting at the other end. The days of big metal control boxes have mostly gone, but they did a good job of creating a good balance to the swing.
I have the Deus, original 9 ins coil and that's nice to swing, but if I moved to an 11ins coil I may be moaning at the added weight. The added weight would be very little but placed where it will have maximum effect. Having said that, I sometimes wish the coil was a bit heavier so as to move through stubble easier!
All this means that knowing the coil weight is helpful, but its not the only factor that would affect arm and shoulder comfort. Probably not added much to the thread but its all that my two brain cells can contribute! Liam :;@
Interesting topic
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:37 pm

Great information Liam and your point about balance/counter-balance being an important factor affecting muscle fatigue ::g Along with others who have read your post, I'll be watching Wimbledon from a completely different perspective in future! :D Regards ss47

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:43 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5BvZP5lNBM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good days at Wimbledon ... Liam =))
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

Return to “Metal Detector Coils”