Nel Thunder....anyone swing one?

Please post any topic here related to metal detector search heads, Coils.
littleboot

Nel Thunder....anyone swing one?

Post by littleboot » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:36 pm

Well hubby says he is going to treat me....its been a bit of a slog to get things going here in France (we are not retired and need income). Anyway...I love my GMP and won't be changing anytime soon. So I thought I'd go for a new coil as a way of boosting my arsenal a tad without breaking the bank.
I have had a look at Nel coils and have a couple of ideas in mind. One is the Snake for some areas where the signals fall over one another too much (quite a few old houses on my permissions). The one I am most interested in though is the Thunder. The blurb seems to say its one of their best at target separation between iron and other metals.
What I would like to know though are the opinions of anyone who has tried one.
I am not expecting it to give me an instant passport to riches. Been in the game a lot longer than that. :)) But a bit of an extra edge on sites I have already detected a lot would be really good because I know there is more stuff to e had and I don't want to have to go through the rigmarole of buying a new detector AND (more to the point) spending 12 months getting used to it so that I can benefit from all the bells and whistles.
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

Batman

Re: Nel Thunder....anyone swing one?

Post by Batman » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:25 am

Hi Littleboot, I cannot vouch for the thunder but I bought the Nel Tornado 7.5khz coil for my X terra 705 and it is a super piece of kit, very sensitive and slightly deeper than the stock coil imho. Very well made, strong and robust and all the Nel coils seem to have good reviews. There are others on here who will tell you the same about other makes but I do like the Nel. Hope this helps ::g

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:22 pm

A big lump like that might make some sense if you were swinging a GMaxx2, but running one on an 18KHz machine seems a bit esoteric. 18KHz means typically small targets, monster coil means large target. No doubt it will uncover something new, but so would going over the same terrain with your existing coil. If the GMP had pinpoint mode,(or some similar non-motion mode) the big coil could be useful for large, deep target hunting....but it doesn't.
As you Parlez-vous a bit, I presume you've looked/asked on les forum de detecteur?
:(

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:07 pm

The thunder isn't really a monster coil.....although it sounds it. It appears quite agile. I looked at the Tornado but that wasn't as strong....according to Nel....at the small targets.
Going over the same ground with the stock coil won't cut it on my more productive sites...I've done them this way, that way and t'other....in different conditions and different settings.
I know the strengths of 18khz but I want to boost depth a bit. Just shake it up a wee bit.

I go on French sites a bit but the Thunder doesn't appear to be available here yet to any great degree.
I already know my machine very well and I like the standard coil. The thunder isn't an exceptionally wide coil. It seems quite versatile.
Hmmm.
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:29 pm

Well my 7.5khz tornado coil is still fantastic at finding very small items at depth and I have read on here that some folks think there is little difference to the 18.5khz coil on small targets, people of course have different opinions.

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:52 pm

Littleboot let me know which one you plump for in the end.......I would be very interested to know particularly if you do go for the Nel, and how you find it :)

Return to “Metal Detector Coils”