Nel thunder coil from eBay

Please post any topic here related to metal detector search heads, Coils.
chip

Nel thunder coil from eBay

Post by chip » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:55 pm

There is a guy selling nel coils on eBay for great prices. He is based in the Ukraine which is not a problem.

He says that the coils are brand new but due to all coils being tested in the field after production that the coils may come with minor scratches. Is this true do nel test there coils and put minor scratches on them.

Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

chip

Re: Nel thunder coil from eBay

Post by chip » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:07 am

Well due to the fact regtons had none in stock I bit the bullet and ordered one from eBay.
Was going to buy a new detector but could not make my mind up which.
And then last night some one smashed a window on my car which will cost a couple of hundred to fix at a guess, so thought I would have to settle for a new coil for the detector I have instead.
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

Saki

Post by Saki » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:31 am

While I was searching/researching, I think I saw the ebay Ad you mention. All very similar to the NEL site. I remember seeing that they test every individual coil and state there may be minor scratches from this test. Think it actually states it on the paperwork. I must go check the box/ manual, it may be there I read it ::g
Ace400i with Nel Thunder
Garrett Carrot
CScope CS2M
Wish list: MINELAB EQUINOX 800.

"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation."

chip

Post by chip » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:40 am

Hi saki, I see in your signature you use the thunder coil.
How are you finding it?
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:53 am

I can not help with the Nel Thunder coil, I have a Garrett 250 (although now mainly use the Makro Racer 2) and because of a lot of very possitive comments about the Nel Tornado I went for that instead (when I got the Tornado coil the Thunder had only just been released so there was no valid user feedback).
On a positive the Nel Tornado certainly gives extra depth over the standard Garret coil, like others though I found the pinpointing was not so accurate, and on the downside I found it was not the extra weight that caused a problem but the larger coil did spoil the balance of the machine to some extent and it never felt so easy to use.

If you have not seen them you might like to read these official Nel sites: -
http://nel-coils.com/index.php/en/ Nel coils, gives a rating for each aspect of the coils ability
http://nelcoil.com/index.php?route=common/home Nel coils with detailed summary

If I am sure the Nel Thunder will add an extra dimension to your machine, but be aware that it is not the "be all end all" and there are some circumstances that the smaller standard coil will have advantages, especially in trashy areas.

Evan

Saki

Post by Saki » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:24 am

chip wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:40 am
Hi saki, I see in your signature you use the thunder coil.
How are you finding it?
" its not the size of the wave, its the motion of the ocean"

Hey chip. I bought it for my Ace 250. Then upgraded to 400i. I initially did'nt even give the coil that came with the 400i a chance. 400i came out the box and the thunder went on it. ( wouldnt do that again if I had the chance. I would certainly have "learnt" the machine with standard coil first) I always thought, " the bigger the better" But the more experience I get using the 400i and also different permissions lead me to change coils for different sites. You can use the thunder on trashy, busy sites, but the standard coil is better. A lot of my sites are large and empty, so this is where the thunder comes out to play.
I am delighted with it. Great weight for its size. ( l did get a little fatigue at the start. Just keep swinging) I feel I can swing better ( balance, height etc) using the thunder. I now like the weight. And my coverage is huge. Certainly gives very deep signals and really picks up on the tiniest of targets.
My particular one is great. Pinpoint is slightly off. But I now know my thunder coil is upper left quadrant, when it's telling me centre. Just took a while to sort.

Yes the Thunder will increase depth/cover. But also interference

Fully recommend it for the Ace 400i
Ace400i with Nel Thunder
Garrett Carrot
CScope CS2M
Wish list: MINELAB EQUINOX 800.

"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation."

chip

Post by chip » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:45 am

Thanks for your replies.
I do love the simplicity of my at pro and the fact it takes AA batteries, I did some air tests and it went to 9.5 inches with both a small gold signet ring and a silver half dollar I have. I saw some deus air tests on you tube getting 13 and 14 inches and also the new Garrett at max has some impressive depth so my reason for a new coil is to get some extra depth.

I originally was going to go for the hunter coil but it is very similar to the original coil on my at pro with only marginal increased depth. Then there was the obvious tornado which gets a lot of love on the at pro forum but plumped for the thunder due to claims of better separation.

I will use as you say to compliment the original coil giving me more options rather than as a replacement.
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

owdgit

Post by owdgit » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:53 pm

i have two nel coils, the tornado and the snake. in both boxes it says that the coils are field tested and may show minor scratches. none of mine were scratched though in any way
Garrett Ace 400i
Nel Tornado
Nel Snake
Whites Bulleseye TRX
Pro Evolution spade and trowel.
limited patience at times.

Return to “Metal Detector Coils”