Fold Up Spades

Please post any topics related to metal detecting spades, trowels and general Digging tools here.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Spades
Ray

Fold Up Spades

Post by Ray » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:18 pm

Following a stroke last year, I have difficulty carrying a spade in my left hand. Thinking of getting a fold up spade to carry in a backpack or put a strap on my normal spade & carry it across my chest. Anyone had a similar problem? All suggestions appreciated.

Deus

f8met

Re: Fold Up Spades

Post by f8met » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:28 pm

I have seen people with short spades and hooks on their belts. You can get hooks for tools to hang on the wall and these have been modified to put on a belt.

Also seen on rallies people towing their spades on rope behind them!
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2018 47 Hammered

lord lovell

Post by lord lovell » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:45 pm

I wouldn't bother with a fold up spade there a waste of time in the fields mate it might be worth contacting a disability supplies shop as they may have a tool designed for stroke or hand problems ::g

KH_DK

Post by KH_DK » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:21 pm

I would definitely go for the "towing solution".

Tie a robe to a carabiner and tie the other end to the shaft of the spade right below the handle. Secure the carabiner to a ring in your belt and you´re good to go.
Note that the robe should not be more than 30 cms long. Otherwise the spade will snag on furrows and the likes.
Makro Racer
Makro Racer 2
Makro Multi Kruzer
Garrett Propointer 2
Mars MD pointer

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:26 pm

I always thought there would be a good market for a quality fold up spade, something that folded in the middle, I know you can get those green army spades but their a little on the small side. Obviously a folding spade would not be as strong but treated correctly should be fine.
If you have a small car / boot some spades can be hard / awkward to get in I have found so having something fold-able and reasonably strong would be ideal for soft pasture / ploughed ground ::g

I am sure something suitable could be produced but no one to date has risen to the challenge :-/

Cheers
mrix

JamieB

Post by JamieB » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:47 pm

There is a spade holder for the Draper mini range that fits on your belt - I use one and it's very handy (pardon the pun) to use or this from Kingdiggers - both of them save holding the spade all day ::g

Youtube channel: https://youtu.be/WCVc_IFEOho" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
XP Deus + 13x11" coil
Garrett pro pointer
Hairy Coin Purse

Koala

Post by Koala » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:53 pm

You will not break a proper three fold entrenching tool. They are built like a tank. Not the cheap copies. However the only way to dig with them is on your knees. Not fun on hard ground.
I keep one in the car as a spare or to dig the car out in winter

If the left side is week towing a boarder spade sounds like a solution.

I guess some days i dig a couple of hundred holes. Take a rucksack of, unfold spade, dig hole, fold spade and put rucksack back on would get a bit tiring especially if you had to dig a few targets within a few meter of each other.

beaubrummell

Post by beaubrummell » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:54 pm

I bought one of these off of fleabay. Don't know if they're still being sold. Ames E-tool US army issue.
DSC00074 (238x600) (599x238) (589x234).jpg
DSC00708 (559x394) (559x394).jpg
Incredibly strong and all solid metal. I added some padding to the handle to increase length and make it easier on the hands.

Don't bother getting a cheap folding spade from a garden centre as they last 5 minutes.

Only drawback is the short length. I have no back problems but if you do the short shovel will be no good.

Watch this video. They guys nuts but it really demonstrates the strength of it.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Minelab Explorer II
SEF 12 x 10 coil
Deteknix Wader Li Xpointer
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Souped-up Spear & Jackson mini spade
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots

Koala

Post by Koala » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:02 pm

beaubrummell

That's similar to the one I have.

Would be great if you are backpacking and detecting.

Does go rusty quickly if used in saltwater.

As long as it properly locked I can't see how you could damage it.

Thanks for the video never thought of using it as a seat :)) :))

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:43 pm

Ray wrote:Following a stroke last year, I have difficulty carrying a spade in my left hand. Thinking of getting a fold up spade to carry in a backpack or put a strap on my normal spade & carry it across my chest. Anyone had a similar problem? All suggestions appreciated.
Hello Ray ::g I decided long ago that the best way to carry a 'digger' (I use the S/S Evolution Pro which is weighty) is to mount a 'D' ring on the left hand side front 'down strap' of a back-pack.
The back pack also carries the usual requisites for afull day's detecting). The 'digger' then needs a hook to be added just below the 'D handle' to allow easy placement on the the down-strap 'D ring'. Job done and the weight of the digger is virtually negated!

I've added a further 'mod' to this set-up which is a strong 'carrier' hook mounted on the waist belt to allow the digger to be carried suspended from the waist belt. I'll post a pic of the set-up for additional clarity when I get sorted. All the best. Regards ss47 ::g
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:33 pm

I have a stainless border spade cut to a point, I don't carry it but simply drag it behind me on the end of a straight arm, never suffered fatigue and it's always ready for instant use, another advantage it leaves a line on the ground so you can see where you have been.

Fold ups are a waste of time in my opinion, awkward and bulky in use.

Count de Washers

Post by Count de Washers » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:51 am

I once bought a £4.95 'army style' fold up spade and it did just that - it folded up in use! If you get one, get a proper one. ::g

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:03 pm

The army spade shown in the picture is the one a friend of mine has, he never uses it as its too short, those type of spades are better for digging on your knee`s unless you want a bad back etc ,
I would like to see a reasonably strong spade that folds out to a reasonable length ::g
Cheers
mrix

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:59 pm

Seen all sorts of drag lines, hanging straps & belt fittings for a normal size spade.
Down to what suits you best really.
::g
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

Ray

Post by Ray » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:13 pm

Thanks a lot, guys. That's all really helpful. I think I'll give the dragging option a try first as I really like my spade.
Deus

f8met

Post by f8met » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:58 pm

I came across these hooks in my local B&M. 6 hooks for £1, pre-drilled. Squashed 1 on a vice and bolted them together, hook onto belt. Not tried it yet in the field but for £1 I can always use the hooks in the garage.

Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2018 47 Hammered

Return to “Metal Detecting Spades and Digging Tools”