Black Ada Gladius Stainless Steel spade review

Please post any topics related to metal detecting spades, trowels and general Digging tools here.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Spades
Steve_T

Black Ada Gladius Stainless Steel spade review

Post by Steve_T » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:05 pm

Hi all

My review of the Black Ada Gladius Stainless Steel spade
Well, what a great day I had on Saturday, maybe it was the new digging spade that made it happen, but not likely, lol

One Celtic coin, eleven roman coins, four roman brooches although just the bottom half with the catch plates on three and the top half of one, what a shame they aren’t complete.

Anyway about the new spade, I decided to buy the new Black Ada Gladius Stainless Steel for £53.99 as it had some discount on it from where I purchased, free next day delivery aswell. Wife keeps asking where her border spade has gone

The decision was based on the overall appearance and design but mostly the high & wide situated foot assist and curved blade, price wise it is around the norm for SS products of this type, and like anything its personal choice that matters

It is about the same size as my usual spade the Joseph Bentley stainless border spade, I modified the blade a bit by cutting an angled tip and sharpened it, it has served me well and have used it with some force and it has been OK, I first used a draper mini spade but that’s more suited to snow white’s gang, although some prefer it as its light and easy to carry, but a lot of bending is needed.

The Gladius is a bit heavier at a total weight of 1.6 Kilo than the Bentley border spade at 1.2 Kilo
Made with 12 gauge SS for the blade and 16 gauge (1 ¼”) SS tube for the handle.

I put it to the test and tried it on some soft wet ground, really rooty couch grass infested ground and some stony ground and have to say it copped with all at ease, although the ground was quite claggy and sticking to my boots the stainless steel lost anything stuck to it with a bit of a bang on the ground.

I’m tall and managed one handed without bending down and keeping the detector in the other hand, It dug the holes a lot neater with a plug that was easy to remove, as the blade is curved it only really needed three cuts and then tuned it out with a flick of the foot on the back edge, the wide boot saver is a lot easier on the foot and boot, also it gives a higher point advantage if you want the hole deeper after the initial plug is out, I did this on a couple of occasions to see what it could do and I levered with all my might and if it had broken I think I would have signed up for the world’s strongest person then and there, it truly is strong, I know everything thing has a breaking point but this spade would take some bending or breaking.

After a full day with it I didn’t notice a weight issue although I tend to just drag it behind me, my only gripe is the “T” bar handle, it has left me with a sore finger on the inside of my third finger where the shaft of the spade seems to rub, maybe it’s the gloves I wore, I would have preferred a “D” handle but they don’t do one. I may get it altered to a “D” or change my grip, even make it slightly longer but see how I progress, the “T” is nice and wide so it’s possible to get a good hold and the hand doesn’t go over the ends unless your hands are more than 17 cm (6 ½”) on the edges so it’s comfortable when digging.

On the whole it should last without issues, another small thing is the welding, it’s sound and thorough but not as neatly finished as I would have liked to have welded it, I can weld and I would have finished it a little neater to match the price tag.

Regards Steve
Last edited by Steve_T on Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

Oxgirl36

Re: Black Ada Gladius Stainless Steel spade review

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:03 pm

Great review, thank you!!
XP Deus
10 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017) - just 2 so far in 2018 :-L

Verulamium

Post by Verulamium » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:51 pm

Excellent review thanks. I've been using a Black Ada stainless steel sodbuster for years and it has never let me down. A fantastic piece of kit that will outlast me without doubt. If the Gladius is of similar quality it's definitely worth the outlay....

Cheers, V ::g
Looking for stuff.....mainly in fields.......

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:58 pm

Thanks for the honest appraisal which delivered all - the good, the not so good, as well as the ugly. It's not easy to 'bare all' when reviewing and remain neutral especially when you've taken the plunge and made a purchase, so well done. Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

judeismydog

Post by judeismydog » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:54 pm

Thanks for the review. Has anyone used the black version of the Gladius? It's less than half the price, but it's obviously not stainless. I rang them and they said that it will work as well and last as long, but it won't look as nice as it will rust. So I'll probably just get the black one, but I'd like to know how they fare after a few digs...
Equinox 800
Quest Q40
Ace 250
Garrett Carrot

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:11 pm

Just an update, I converted the “T” handle to a plastic “D” handle, its esier on the hand and not cold when all metal, after almost 10 months use I am happy that I made the right choice

Regards Steve

To add they now do it with a “D” handle I think??
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------

Albert Einstein

tcawood

Post by tcawood » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:34 pm

Black Ada must have read your comments as their new red spade. the Spartan, comes with a plastic D...

Santa is bringing me one for Xmas ;-)
Equinox 600, Rutus Alter 71, Makro Pinpointer, Spartan Spade

Mud Max

Post by Mud Max » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:21 pm

I like the look of the Spartan, and at a more agreeable price. But I doubt I will need another spade for an awful long time as I have the Burgon and Ball groundbreaker, incredibly strong and £35.00 with stainless arrow head blade. I do love those footrests on the Blackaders though, plenty of width to prevent sore soles !
Xp Deus 11" coil
GM5+SE

Jedi Master button finder

judeismydog

Post by judeismydog » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:18 am

Steve_T, would you mind letting me know where you got your Gladius from? I really want one but I'd rather pay your price than the one I found online!
Equinox 800
Quest Q40
Ace 250
Garrett Carrot

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:37 pm

I purchased from Leisure Promotion's as I purchased stuff in the past which gave discount

Regards Steve

Albert Einstein

Return to “Metal Detecting Spades and Digging Tools”