Draper or Roughneck mini shovel?

Please post any topics related to metal detecting spades, trowels and general Digging tools here.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Spades
John Boxmoor

Draper or Roughneck mini shovel?

Post by John Boxmoor » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:20 am

Not sure where to post this but just wondering if these shovels are different at all? Is the draper stronger?

XP DEUS V4
Makro Racer 1
Mars Tiger coil 10 x 13
Garrett Ace 150
Garrett Pro Pointer AT

Ten pence!

Re: Draper or Roughneck mini shovel?

Post by Ten pence! » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:12 pm

Personally I'd not bother with sheet steel spades as they don't take much abuse before failing, spend a bit more on a stainless border spade, and if you own an angle grinder you can trim a bit off for a perfect digging tool.

Jungle

Post by Jungle » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:43 pm

My Draper (Made in Mexico blade) is 8 years old, I stuck a longer handle on it. Still good to go.
Trimmed down a heaver SS boarder for stony ground.
DEUS 9" Elliptical, 9", 11" and 13" coils, MI-6, Propointer, WS4 x 2, 2nd shaft (Upgrade path:- F75+Sunray, X-terra-50)

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:13 pm

I have owned both of these spades, the Roughneck was of slightly better quality and slightly longer.
These spades are ideal if you do not abuse them and put them away somewhere dry after use ::g
Personally a little on the short side for my liking and can cause a bad back.
mrix

Timmy 64

Post by Timmy 64 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:14 pm

Go to a normal height speed so that you can rest your detect you on it and you won't be bending over all that time digging holes.

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:19 pm

Timmy 64 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:14 pm
Go to a normal height speed so that you can rest your detect you on it and you won't be bending over all that time digging holes.
Hurrah! ::g ::g ::g

Buy an sparenought old school British 1950s spade from a car booty and cut the blade to size
Bombproof!
Mine was £2
:D
ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

benny

Post by benny » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:24 pm

The good thing about the "roughneck" is its lifetime warranty i bought 1 and had 3 new ones as replacements!!!! not not brilliant but who cares!!!!!!.Benny

sanjuro

Post by sanjuro » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:28 pm

These are the best i have used i have got quite a few using them now light and extremely strong the transplanting one digs narrower plugs the groundbreaker digs wider plugs you wont be disappointed

http://www.sam-turner.co.uk/gardening/b ... ibWfTdpGbg

http://www.sam-turner.co.uk/gardening/b ... ibXDTdpGbg

Ollie K

Post by Ollie K » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:02 pm

Hi John, I've got both but I prefer the Draper as it's got a straighter profile and is a bit lighter. My last one broke after a couple of years but it was like £12 or something, so definitely paid for itself, so to speak! Regarding the cut down car booty vintage number- that's a great idea. As a landscape gardener/builder myself, I can count a few of the old vintage tools as part of my own kit, as the quality is streets ahead of the modern stuff. I've toyed with the idea myself, but I'm happy with the draper for now, until my back starts creaking! b;=+
Now swinging with the Deus

Arch Stanton

Post by Arch Stanton » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:31 am

I use the roughneck and it's brilliant - light and easy to carry over and under fences and fits in the smallest car boot easily. It's not too long to use when kneeling, but long enough to use as a normal spade, with good foot platforms that you can jump on when necessary! If you suffer with back problems, a full-length spade is a better bet, but otherwise the length of the roughneck wont cause any trouble. The blade shape is great and cuts through the earth and smallish roots with no problem. As long as you are sensible and don't try to lever out a whole spade-depth of tightly packed soil, it will last you ages. Mine was only around £8 so you can't go wrong for that!
I've done the 'buckle boogie', the 'musket-ball mambo' and even the 'silver shuffle', but sadly still no 'gold dance'. You're really gonna know it when you see it though!

Ravenrook

Post by Ravenrook » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:38 am

John...

TRUST ME, you will be forever replacing these spades, they all have hollow steel or fiberglass shafts that will break/bend and the blades will do the same.

Save yourself money and speed-up your recovery time by buying an Evolution spade:
https://www.metaldetectingauction.com/l ... dle/103567

YES; they are expensive (but you will save in the long run)
YES: they are heavy (reassuringly!)
...and YES it will last you a lifetime and you don't have to feel guilty about contributing to landfill every year!

Some guy once moaned at me; 'it's too heavy and I'm too old' what he didn't know and I forgot to mention was., these things are indestructible which means that; you have confidence in adjusting your digging technique, making it much, much easier on your back and muscles and less time on your knees. No more faffing about with a flimsy, light and week spade!

Evolution all the way! I have their digging tool too, which is the same excellent high quality stainless steel

Raven ::g
MineLab Xterra 750
Garrett pro pointer
Evolution Extreme Digging tool
Evolution Pro Cut Spade
Lot's and lot's of enthusiasm!

"Every Holes a Goal!!"

Jungle

Post by Jungle » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:38 am

Ravenrook wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:38 am
John...

TRUST ME, you will be forever replacing these spades, they all have hollow steel or fiberglass shafts that will break/bend and the blades will do the same.

you don't have to feel guilty about contributing to landfill every year!

I don't feel guilty for paying more than I needed to get a tool for the job which is nowhere near ready for landfill.
DEUS 9" Elliptical, 9", 11" and 13" coils, MI-6, Propointer, WS4 x 2, 2nd shaft (Upgrade path:- F75+Sunray, X-terra-50)

Arch Stanton

Post by Arch Stanton » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:17 am

If you mistake your spade for a crowbar, it will break - if you dig a three or four sided hole and use your spade properly it will be fine. ::g
I've done the 'buckle boogie', the 'musket-ball mambo' and even the 'silver shuffle', but sadly still no 'gold dance'. You're really gonna know it when you see it though!

Ravenrook

Post by Ravenrook » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:46 am

Arch Stanton wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:17 am
If you mistake your spade for a crowbar, it will break - if you dig a three or four sided hole and use your spade properly it will be fine. ::g
Agreed, you shouldn't use ANY spade as such. However, I have on a few occasions used the Evolution to prise things out (not recommended by the manufacturers) such as deep iron but only on stubble and it is still bullet proof!
There is no way on this earth your £8 'spades' will even consider this without breaking! :))
In-fact (and I know this from my own experience) if I was paying £8 for a spade, I wouldn't expect it to last beyond 12 months! Unless; you are spending way too long carefully incising a hole and only detecting in the winter on soft ground after significant rainfall.
As I mentioned; it's all about speeding up recovery time for me and, trying to move away from this awful throw-away culture we have adopted.
Each to their own I guess?
Last edited by Ravenrook on Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
MineLab Xterra 750
Garrett pro pointer
Evolution Pro Cut Spade

"Every Holes a Goal!!"

Ravenrook

Post by Ravenrook » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:49 am

Jungle wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:38 am
Ravenrook wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:38 am
John...

you don't have to feel guilty about contributing to landfill every year!

I don't feel guilty for paying more than I needed to get a tool for the job which is nowhere near ready for landfill.
Good on you, that is the point I am trying to make. If you are serious about the hobby and expect to be lucky enough to get out regular and beyond a couple of years. In my humble opinion; it is worth spending the extra, that you will save in the long run, on a spade that will last a lifetime.

Sorry; I should have phrased my last post to " I Don't have to feel guilty about contributing to landfill every year".

Best of luck with whatever you choose!
MineLab Xterra 750
Garrett pro pointer
Evolution Pro Cut Spade

"Every Holes a Goal!!"

Swany

Post by Swany » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:59 am

I agree with Ravenrook on this one, evolution stainless steel spade is the way to go, these are awesome, i have 2 with different length shafts, you can put as much pressure as you like on these bad boy's and they will not bend, put them away covered in mud and they will not rust. in the frozen landscape recently I will wager a few spades were broken :))

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:06 am

I do have a brand new Draper spade that i always carry with me as a backup,i also have 2 broken ones still sitting in the garage as they have snapped,my main spades that i use are the Burgon & Ball and/or a Joseph Bentley border spade the latter one has been modified with a slimmer shield blade for manicured lawns etc.

So although i do carry a Draper spade with me its not the main everyday use one but a backup one,if i am say 60 miles away on a dig and my one and only spade breaks at least i have a backup and i can still carry on detecting,rather than relying on just one which could get mislaid or stolen then i am not up the creek without a paddle as the old saying goes.

Westcoastdetector

Post by Westcoastdetector » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:43 am

The Draper is excellent ...had mine for 6 years ; also lightweight ::g

stubble hunter

Post by stubble hunter » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:35 pm

Draper all the way for me. Great value. Got one for £13 off fleabay over 3 years ago. I dig a lot of holes and still going strong. The one before lasted 3 years too and I was the cause of its breakage. Ice packed ground not ideal for digging into.
But it what you feel comfortable with really.
I have arthritis (well thats what happens when you dig so many holes !) so a light spade is all I could use anyway.
Cheers !
John
p.s. Some draper shovels have a slightly longer shaft then others so check the measurements beforehand.
XP DEUS - V4.1 (9" coil).
Settings: GMP, manual, 18khz

[member of Taynton Metal Detecting Club - http://www.glevumdetecting.co.uk

redwulf500

Post by redwulf500 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:58 pm

i use these longer and more expensive , but no bad back auction site 253155182632

Return to “Metal Detecting Spades and Digging Tools”