WS4 or WS5? What are the advantages?

Topics related to XP metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
XP Videos
Jay76

WS4 or WS5? What are the advantages?

Post by Jay76 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:34 am

Hi,
I am in the process of saving for the XP Deus but am not sure which headphones will be more suited to me? I will be buying the detector as a kit with the remote and phones as a package deal so want to get it right first time!
As the WS4's do less do they have a better battery life? That is more important to me than available control from the phones. Space is not a luxury I will have when carrying everything on my motorcycle so I am leaning more towards the WS4's as I gather they fold up or am I mistaken? Any help or advice you can give is greatly appreciated, thank you.

XP Deus + XP MI-6
Garrett Euroace + Garrett pro-pointer

mrix
Founder

Re: WS4 or WS5? What are the advantages?

Post by mrix » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:02 am

Hello Jay, both have pluses and minuses, the WS4 are lightweight and great for the summer months, less sweaty to wear as the headphones fit on the ear as opposed to completely over, people who wear caps tend to prefer these as the head band goes around your neck and not over the top.

The WS5 on the other had can be great for the colder months as the head cups do fit completely over your ears, you can also hear those fainter deeper targets especially on a windy day or when you have a lot of external noise.
There should be no concern with the battery life as Both the WS4 and WS5 headphones contain lithium batteries and once charged should give you at least 24 hours detecting time ::g B-)

From reading a fair few posts on the subject Initially many tend to opt for the WS4`s first then may invest in the WS5`s at a later date.

Best of luck in whatever you decide
Cheers
mrix

Jay76

Post by Jay76 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:28 am

mrix wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:02 am
Hello Jay, both have pluses and minuses, the WS4 are lightweight and great for the summer months, less sweaty to wear as the headphones fit on the ear as opposed to completely over, people who wear caps tend to prefer these as the head band goes around your neck and not over the top.

The WS5 on the other had can be great for the colder months as the head cups do fit completely over your ears, you can also hear those fainter deeper targets especially on a windy day or when you have a lot of external noise.
There should be no concern with the battery life as Both the WS4 and WS5 headphones contain lithium batteries and once charged should give you at least 24 hours detecting time ::g B-)

From reading a fair few posts on the subject Initially many tend to opt for the WS4`s first then may invest in the WS5`s at a later date.

Best of luck in whatever you decide
Cheers
mrix

Hi mrix,

Thank you for the info, that's certainly given me something to think about.
XP Deus + XP MI-6

Koala

Post by Koala » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:44 am

mrix wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:02 am

Wave/wind noise can be a problem on some exposed beaches.

Everyone I can think of in the same club as me has the WS4 then again we are a land locked county and some wear a brimmed hat.

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:02 pm

To add to the other comments, as someone who wears glasses the WS4's killed my ears, I went for them as better for the warmer weather. Now got rid of them and use WS5's and very happy with them, very comfortable to wear.

Dave 98;
Minelab CTX3030 : 17", 11", 6" Coils
Minelab Equinox 800 : 15", 11" Coils
XP Deus V3.2 - WS5 : 9" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS

f8met

Post by f8met » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:13 pm

I went for the WS4 as it gives more flexibility. If the headband / phones break they are pretty cheap to replace. I also went down the Chefphones route where you add the controller to the ear defender type headphones. I prefer the tones on these to the WS4 back phones. You can also get an adaptor so you can add your own earphones or earbuds and then put the controller in your pocket. Less chance of the WS4 controller breaking than a complete set of WS5.

Just my thoughts.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2019 16 Hammered

john Colin

Post by john Colin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:18 pm

f8met wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:13 pm
I went for the WS4 as it gives more flexibility. If the headband / phones break they are pretty cheap to replace. I also went down the Chefphones route where you add the controller to the ear defender type headphones. I prefer the tones on these to the WS4 back phones. You can also get an adaptor so you can add your own earphones or earbuds and then put the controller in your pocket. Less chance of the WS4 controller breaking than a complete set of WS5.

Just my thoughts.
Yes well said, as the WS4 have several options and would be my choice every time. I have the WS5 but never use them. I use the adapter in the summer and ear buds and in the winter I wear the Chefphones full ear.

alfaowner

Post by alfaowner » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:56 pm

I use WS5's , I opted for them over the 4,s because they are simalar in shape to my chefphones that I used on my old machine ,
I can't fault them , other than they do get sweaty in the summer , but come October / November they are nice and warm ::g
The band is prone to problems but they are under warranty if they do go wrong , ::g

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:41 pm

I personally preferred the style of the WS4's and the dealer confirmed that they had better sound quality than the WS5's, so an easy choice for me. I would not wish to be isolated from outside sounds. It is possible to put the controller onto full headphones if you wish. On cold days pulling a hood up over the WS4's works great. I wear glasses and they are not a problem with WS4's, having said that I did smooth the edge a bit for a better finish where they sit on the ear. The blue wired backphones are even more comfortable.
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

JBM

Post by JBM » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:22 pm

I use WS5 in the winter and WS4 in the summer. ::g Jerry.

Jay76

Post by Jay76 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:07 am

Thank you all for your replies, WS4's it is then. On a side note, is it worth getting the Deus book or is there a free PDF for iOS somewhere please?
XP Deus + XP MI-6

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:13 am

Dave8472 wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:02 pm
To add to the other comments, as someone who wears glasses the WS4's killed my ears, I went for them as better for the warmer weather. Now got rid of them and use WS5's and very happy with them, very comfortable to wear.

Dave 98;
Appreciate this is an old post, but thought I'd add my tuppence worth..
I've just bought a Deus with the WS4s. I agree, using the WS4s when wearing glasses is a painful experience even after a very short while. I'm now looking for an alternative for comfort. On my old Garrett machine, I used Mpow in ear wireless buds, which were perfect. In hindsight, as I have the remote, I should've saved the money on the WS4s and purchased a good low latency wireless transmitter to use in ear phones instead.
Andi
Last edited by shaggybfc on Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. XP MI 6 pin pointer. Garrett Ace 250 wireless MPow set up.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

f8met

Post by f8met » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:25 am

Quest (banner on the left l;/ ) make headphones for the WS4, around £100 and can be found in the MDF shop. The adaptor to add your own wired headphones is only around £15.
Dave
2019 16 Hammered

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:34 am

I use ear buds all year round, I found the WS4's uncomfortable, got a module adapter and little zip up pouch and keep in pocket, or you can get full cup earphones that take the module, In winter when the wind noise can be a problem I use earbuds and hat pulled over them, nice and cosy ::g

WS5's are ok but hot in the summer, downside of earbuds is hygiene and poss ear infections, or irritation, so good quality and hygiene is important

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

klondyke

Post by klondyke » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:17 am

Ws5 for me very comfortable cuts out any outside noise, why buyws4 and then move up to ws5! ,people here mention sweaty in the summer hygiene risk etc, buy disposable headphone covers I bought a hundred of fleabay for £8 problem solved
deus with ws5 phones, 9 hf and 11 inch coils.
minelab explorer se pro
fisher 1265x
15" wot coil
8x6" sef
detech ultimate 13"
predator and grey ghosts.
garrett carrot.

chip

Post by chip » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:28 pm

I have ws4, I use regularly with my earbuds when it’s hot and have the quest over-earphones that accept the puck for the colder months so the best of both worlds. I am surprised xp dont make an over earphones that accept the puck to be honest.
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

f8met

Post by f8met » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:12 pm

chip wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:28 pm
I have ws4, I use regularly with my earbuds when it’s hot and have the quest over-earphones that accept the puck for the colder months so the best of both worlds. I am surprised xp dont make an over earphones that accept the puck to be honest.
No one would buy the WS5 if they did that.
Dave
2019 16 Hammered

Return to “XP Forum”