DEUS Headphones option ?

Please feel free to post topics about metal detector headphones here.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Headphones
mudmanxpd

DEUS Headphones option ?

Post by mudmanxpd » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:40 pm

Hi guys,

Went out yesterday 02/02/13 and used my DEUS lite for the first time since I purchased it last week and I am very pleased so far with the performance ::g

The reason for this post is that the only slight problem I had, which Im sure has been brought up before many times before is the backphones. After detecting for something like 4 hours, the backphones began to make the back of my ear lobes rather sore and it doesnt help when wearing glasses.

I have been told about the DEUS WS4 Jack output adapter and have seen it on the net - Image

I would like to know which is the best way to go, do I go for the full cup headphones or the wired headphones so then I can keep the headphone control box in a pocket and I can adjust the settings without taking the headphones off. I am thinking I would like to go for the wired ones more so than the full cup as they will fit nicely under my thermal hunters hat.

Or I was thinking about a pair of the headband ones with the foam pads. Ones similar to this - Image

Ive seen XP do the wired ones, but there still backphones which will be uncomfortable over time.

What wired headphones would you recommend and ones that stay in as they tend to slip out, a bit like the white ones for the Iphone if you know what I mean.

Any advice would be appreciated Thank you ::g

leslie

Re: DEUS Headphones option ?

Post by leslie » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:18 pm

I use a cheepo pair of buds with mine, with the headphone control in a waterproof mobile phone
bag hung from my neck, any one of the smaller headphones work just great with the headphone
adapter clip, just try a few until you find the ones that you feel comfortable with.

mudmanxpd

Post by mudmanxpd » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:08 pm

I have just found these, Sony MDRZX300B Monitor Style Headphones -Image

the reviews seem to be good and so far have found this to be the cheapest price so far - http://tinyurl.com/a7fbm37

Has anyone had any experience with these and would they be a good replacement to use with the DEUS headphone control box with the WS4 Jack output adapter ?

mudmanxpd

Post by mudmanxpd » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:45 pm

Just been surfing the net on DEUS headphones and have discovered these XP WS5 -

ImageImage

Does anyone know when XP are bringing these out and how much are they likely to cost ?

They do look good with the controler built into the ear piece and bet they must be light and comfortable ::g

GeoffBristol

Post by GeoffBristol » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:57 pm

I think there was a post some time ago saying they are around £295, but I could be wrong.
Geoff
DEUS
SPECTRA 3Vi

mudmanxpd

Post by mudmanxpd » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:01 pm

WOW :-O Thats a lot, for a pair of headphones but I suppose you get what you pay for. Might just go down the cheaper route Cheers ::g

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:27 pm

The proper wireless over the head headphones for the Deus have allegedly been in the 'testing' phase for ages, and any time I speak about a Deus product on here people send me a pm saying it will be out 'next month' or something, but they never show up. So don't wait around for them, they will be out, when they're out. =))

You have quite a few options to choose from as you have mentioned. The original backphones were rubbing my ear too as you describe, so I made the ear defender type, as they cover the ears, make it all wireless, which is basically a main point of the deus, keep your ears warmer when its cold, can be put on and off easily, etc.
If you want a guide to making your own pair then click the link in my sig below. If you took some time over making a good pair you could easily make it so the control unit fits inside the ear defenders almost making it like a pair of those WS5's. ::g

I tried the control box in the pocket with normal earbuds but the wire always dangled in the way, unless you clip it to your clothing somehow. ;;z

Anyways good luck with what you choose to do. [:)
Current setup:
XP Deus v2.0, MINELAB Equinox 800 v1.7.5, GARRETT Pro-Pointer
MD'ing since Sept '11

Looking for a friendly club in the Bristol and Somerset area? Contact us at:
www.wessexsearchers.club

madproffesor

Post by madproffesor » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:10 pm

hihosilver wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:27 pm
The proper wireless over the head headphones for the Deus have allegedly been in the 'testing' phase for ages, and any time I speak about a Deus product on here people send me a pm saying it will be out 'next month' or something, but they never show up. So don't wait around for them, they will be out, when they're out. =))

You have quite a few options to choose from as you have mentioned. The original backphones were rubbing my ear too as you describe, so I made the ear defender type, as they cover the ears, make it all wireless, which is basically a main point of the deus, keep your ears warmer when its cold, can be put on and off easily, etc.
If you want a guide to making your own pair then click the link in my sig below. If you took some time over making a good pair you could easily make it so the control unit fits inside the ear defenders almost making it like a pair of those WS5's. ::g

I tried the control box in the pocket with normal earbuds but the wire always dangled in the way, unless you clip it to your clothing somehow. ;;z

Anyways good luck with what you choose to do. [:)
Hello Hi Ho, very interested in your head phones that you made, i don't like the Deus back phones, so can i ask if you have a file? etc. about the one you made. i did click the link but could not see anything. Thanks Dave.
Deus Full Kit. C/SCOPE 3MX.
Men and fish have one thing in common...
They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

principia

Post by principia » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:12 pm

detecteur-metaux-quest-deteknix-casque-ws4.jpg
If you intend to buy something like the WS5, you can also think about buying Quest headphones for the WS4 module. It is much cheaper than the WS5 :)
https://www.metaldetectingauction.com/l ... ws4/104589
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Et qui quærit, invenit
XP Deus
AKA Signum MFD
C Scope CS6MXi
Deteknix X-pointer

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:01 pm

madproffesor wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:10 pm
Hello Hi Ho, very interested in your head phones that you made, i don't like the Deus back phones, so can i ask if you have a file? etc. about the one you made. i did click the link but could not see anything. Thanks Dave.

Photobucket, the image hosting site I used to have the pictures on, is rubbish these days. If you pm me your email address I'll send you a zip file with some pictures I had previously on the forum. I didn't get on with the original deus backphones either. XP has changed the design of them since my old version though but then it was about 7 years or so back. They rubbed on the tip of one of my ears and it drove me nuts. I don't remember which ear it was now though. =)) Never looked back since making use of the ear defenders. They keep the ears warmer in winter and they're not overly hot in summer. Can also hear people just fine most the time. ::g
Current setup:
MD'ing since Sept '11

www.wessexsearchers.club

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:33 pm

I use the module connected to the jack adapter with ear buds all year round, I have a round pouch that the module with the adapter fitted goes in, stays in breast pocket and the wires tuck inside clothing. I could not get on with the WS4 back phones they made my ears sore too

I did make some earphones that take the module but only used them twice, i find the ear buds work well in winter with a hat pulled over your ears keeps you nice and snug

Earphones pick up wind noise and are sweaty in summer and difficult to wrap yourself up warm in winter

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

dig-dog

Post by dig-dog » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:46 pm

I can recommend the quest phones. You can’t go wrong. They are quality.
DD ::g
E-trac 13" ultimate coil.
Full XP Deus 11" coil / hf elliptical coil
Sniper spade

bryan162

Post by bryan162 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:17 pm

I've used both the WS4 headphones which hurt my ears as well after a couple of hours and the cheap blue back phones, and can honestly say that using the back phones with my old detector for several years i have never had any problems and find them exceedingly comfortable. If new headphones cost as much as they say then I think I would try the back phones first, good luck

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:08 am

If headphones are making your ears sore then you need to take a close look to figure out just what exactly is causing the problem. The blue XP backphones are really comfy because their frame is more flexible than the latest WS4's which are also comfy enough though initially I had comfort issues with both sets. Closer examination revealed the cause of discomfort to be rough moulding joins, but after sanding them smooth it was a drastic transformation which has provided all day comfort ever since. Hope this cheap fix helps someone. ::g
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

pengles

Post by pengles » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:42 am

I had a bit of earache with the WS4's to start with and also wear glasses. They're designed to be worn so that the headband is as far down into the nape of your neck as it can go., almost resting on your neck. Wearing them like that worked for me.
XP Deus Light
GP pointer

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:17 am

Easylife ... there's several revisions of the backphones. XP have made changes to them over the years. Earlier models seem to cause these issues for some people so it's not just the way any one person wears them but something in the design. There were no rough joints or moulding flashing on mine.
Later revisions have a thicker band so perhaps this helps. I've tried some of the newer ones and they didn't affect me the way my original ones did, so unless my head or ears have miraculously changed shape the design change they made to the later versions has fixed this problem, however I'll stick to the ear defenders I made as they're leaps and bounds better than the backphones.
Current setup:
MD'ing since Sept '11

www.wessexsearchers.club

f8met

Post by f8met » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:35 am

A friend has the Quest type and he thinks they are brilliant and they can be bought from this site, around £100. I have the Chefphones but they seemed to have disappeared as I was looking to get another pair. I have had to do some repairs to them there the wires have come adrift but I do like them and they are the ear defender type. I keep looking at the Grey Ghosts but £125 seems a bit steep.

If anything happens to the chefphones I will either consider the Quest or make my own with what I have got. I have got the adaptor but I am not a fan of the sounds from ear buds and I would hate to have wires trailing around again. Kind of defeats the object.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2019 16 Hammered

Miss demeanour

Post by Miss demeanour » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:29 pm

Me and the other half have the Quest phones at just under £100 per pair, no complaints and had them nearly a year.

dig-dog

Post by dig-dog » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:18 pm

I had the chefs before the quests. I also ended up repairing them a couple of times, but I was happy with them until I broke them for a third time. Got the quests, they are far more robust and have an even nicer tone. Also they are very comfortable with generous size cups.
DD ::g
E-trac 13" ultimate coil.
Full XP Deus 11" coil / hf elliptical coil
Sniper spade

Kefyn

Post by Kefyn » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:31 pm

I use the ws4 's in summer and the blue xp back phones in winter because they fit under my hat better! I find them more comfortable than the ws4 's , much less ear rubbing/pinching, and sound is just as good.
Had the grey ghosts , found the sound quality poor in comparison.

Hope this helps👍

Return to “Metal Detector Headphones”